Jimquisition: Angry Birds Is Not Sh*t

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
I would just like to point out, Angry Birds is also a Chrome App, and as a standalone download available for PCs.

merck88

Mar 15, 2011
People vehemently dislike angry birds? I guess that does happen to anything popular these days. Although I have it on both my computer and phone, I never played more than 2 or 3 levels. That's mainly because whenever I started, I always felt like I could have more fun doing something else (which is the same reason I never got more than 20 minutes into DE: Invisible war) Both are decent enough games that people have enjoyed, but I never really liked that much.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Angry Birds is decent at best, but after brainlessly playing the same level over and over for a while I realized how completely pointless it was. The aiming mechanic is too inaccurate for the puzzle elements to be more than glorified repetition until you get the desired result on later levels.

And so I uninstalled it and tried something else.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
I notice that Jim has decided that if you dislike something popular that you are "an Idiot" I'm sure he thinks worse of us but i'm on orange health and I feel like staying on the escapist so I won't use the language he would use to describe us. problem is I don't like COD and I don't like angry birds and thats because I hate how they are treated as the pinacle of gaming when actualy there just hard to stop playing and that "one more level BS" does not equal quality

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
I guess I can see your point about Angry Birds is to CtC as Worms is to Scorched Earth/Tank Wars. I did like the trebuchet mechanism in CtC better than the slingshot, but I actually found Angry Birds to be more challenging and to have far more value for your gaming dollar. They're updating Angry Birds with new content every once and a while, whereas CtC had the two lands and that was it.

BTW, I was amused that you called yourself a "bird" in the description. While you are sex personified, you are most definitely of the masculine persuasion. At least you didn't refer to yourself as a tit or a booby.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SvenBTB said:
Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.
I don't even have to watch the damn thing to know how shit it is. I only had to watch the first one, and look at all the subsequent episodes titles ALONE to know it's utter shit.
Except the general consensus has been that while the first couple of episodes were not really that good, the later ones are where Jim found his stride and the show is worth watching now. So perhaps you might want to make an opinion based on knowledge rather than speculation.

As for the ep... Ehh I dont get the hate against angry birds, but that doesnt mean I like it. Its not really that it is popular, its that it was popularized by something else that people hate vehemently, Apple. So to see something that was built up in popularity by Apple, invade into other areas people hate, Such as pretentious "smart phone" demographics and such as Facebook, then it is impossible that Angry Birds would not be met with hate.

Its sort of like that "girl next door" you have a crush on. If you repeatedly walk past annoying frat parties to get back to your dorm, and see her inside hanging out with all the Dbags, your likely going to loose interest pretty damned quick. So yes, much of the hate toward Angry Birds is hate based on Guilt by association.

Really... Is Angry Birds even popular any more? I mean I thought it had peaked over a year ago and is now to the point of dwindling back into obscurity. I might be wrong, but I dont see a game with essentially 2 hours worth of content holding a long term support.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Jim Grim said:
Where are all these people talking shit about Angry Birds? I've not seen anyone talking like this.
Certainly not in europe cause here people are smurt! No Jim really what company do you keep if that is an issue?

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
It definitely isn't shit. It's just not deserving of the success it has. There are MILLIONS of flash games in the same genre that are better than it. Crush the Castle blows it out of the water, for instance.

Michael K

Mar 19, 2010
Actually, I can fix this whole Jimquisition.

Angry Birds is a great game, just like Farmville.

There, fixed.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
The angry bird hate is born from a backlash against "casual gaming". See the above post. Woo you can look down on casual games...congrats?

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
I don't like angry birds because it is a stupid game, and I don't enjoy playing it. I'm not going to go out of my way and say that it is going to be the down fall of gaming, but it certainly isn't my type of game. Praise be to those who love it and those who loath it. We all have different tastes :D

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He is quite right. I am glad I never bought it though, I think I got about 15 minutes of play out of it while waiting to see a doctor. It's not a very good game, and if your going to buy a game, it should have some replay I think. That said, it's a fine game. I know it's not original and all that, but sales and popularity have nothing to do with it being original, that is all marketing.

The one thing I don't like about it, is its impact on gaming. It was a clone (which was absolutely fine), but then I don't need more clones trying to get money off of basically the same game. And there are so many games which are physics based puzzlers now, it's actually annoying to sift through them. My buddy showed me that game where the little green monster wants to eat the candy and you have to.... Cut the Rope (I couldn't remember the damn title till I said it, haha)! I see it's the number one game on Amazon now and I don't see a draw to it.

Meh, I'm glad Rovio did well for itself, but I don't care for the game, nor any of it's offspring. It's not a shit game, it's a simple game that anyone can get into (almost anyone). That is actually what the consumers as a whole want out of gaming. A distraction while they are waiting at the doctors office. That is worth $2 to a great many people.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I've never played Angry Birds. I don't get into casual games at all. I mean, at all. I know absolutely nothing about it, haven't looked into any of its hype, good or bad, and have largely ignored it, so I can't really argue about the game itself, but as its apparent popularity has never at any point caused me any harm or stress, I must conclude that Jim's on to something.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Great stuff Jim. It's good to see you taking time out to tackle issues other people seem afraid to discuss.

Also, you were great in Karate Dog. You're performance was better than Jon Voight's.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SvenBTB said:
Shesh. This isn't going to help anyone's opinion of Jim Sterling. Seriously? "Angry Birds it not shit?" as an episode? Well yea, no SHIT (no pun intended), everyone plays it, gamers and "non-gamers" alike. That's like saying "Cereal IS edible!" Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.

I don't even have to watch the damn thing to know how shit it is. I only had to watch the first one, and look at all the subsequent episodes titles ALONE to know it's utter shit.
Those who run the Escapist judge shows solely on how many views they get, so you've either:

A: Helped the show continue by watching it, defeating your own point

or

B: Made a opinionated comment without watching it, making yourself look a little silly

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
bit_crusherrr said:
Angry Birds is a decent game.

The only thing that pissed me off is its £6ish on PC yet 99p on iPhone or free on Android. I feel the same way about Plants vs Zombies.
Or the Google+ version or the Google Chrome version,those are abso-fucking-lutly free. Yeah,it is always more expensive on a computer,but that's because they can. Not everyone does this,but enough of them do.

Also,
sravankb said:
SvenBTB said:
Shesh. This isn't going to help anyone's opinion of Jim Sterling. Seriously? "Angry Birds it not shit?" as an episode? Well yea, no SHIT (no pun intended), everyone plays it, gamers and "non-gamers" alike. That's like saying "Cereal IS edible!" Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.

"I am not gonna watch this show, but I have an uneducated and angry opinion on it."

Seriously, get over yourself. If this show really annoyed you, then you would avoid it, and not bother posting here. Hell, that would be better for you and the rest of us. You wouldn't have to be annoyed and people who actually enjoy the show won't have to witness your uninformed viewpoint.
and to the same guy, (SvenBTB)
Furrama said:
Go make your own show if you think you can do better, bitching here isn't winning you any favors. In fact, you're only adding to his view count and revenue.
Both of these...so very much.
Why can't people just shut up about things they hate,as if we take their word as law or of any importance whatsoever. People should also watch the videos they post comments on instead of skipping it and heading straight to the bitching.

OT:
I never really heard people complain about Angry Birds but I never really met a "hardcore" gamer before so maybe I'm just crazy.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
People hate Angry Birds? News to me. I guess I live in a Bubble, it was fun while it lasted on my Iphone.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I haven't really seen any hate towards it, to be honest.
I've played it for a bit, didn't find it that interesting, but still a fun little game.