Jimquisition: Better Does Not Mean Good

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Better Does Not Mean Good

Things in the game industry could be worst. We could all be living in the 80s, or we could be in Australia, beset by high prices and restricted ratings. We could also have no arms. We could have porcelain eyes. We could be killed by a Terminator to stop our children leading a revolution against a genocidal artificial intelligence.

Things could always be worse, but saying that to counter an argument about the North American videogame industry doesn't really prove a bloody thing.

Watch Video

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
This episode could have been a lot worse.
...but I'm not sure if it could've been better. I also find that people who espouse the "it could be worse, so shut your trap and take another dick in the arse" attitude are usually the ones who piss and moan about "entitlement" when people air legitimate grievances about a particular game/business model/whatever.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
My response to someone telling me "It could be worse" on any topic:

By that logic, only one person in the world is allowed to complain, and that's the person who has it the WORST. So if I have to shut up, so do you.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
No, no, no, no, no. Obviously EA are helping the UK by charging them more for the honor of playing their epic game. It must have cost a lot more money to translate it into English so they're going to have to bite the bullet on that one and just deal with it because hey, could be worse right and their doing it for the consumers.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I agree, we do need to make the games industry better. So that way, no one can say "it could be worse" ever again.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
You seem to be missing a word on your cereal box:

I agree though. It's OK to complain, and even to make demands. I think some just have an overly extreme aversion to complaining, and only hearing "whining babies" no matter how legitimate the issue is. Or maybe some think that because they eat shit every day without complaining, that means everyone else should do the same without a word in protest.

zaly

Mar 16, 2011
As usual - awesome episode that uses the effective technique of ... erm, simple logic to prove its point that so many people can't seem to understand.
Also, the subtle product placement made me genuinely laugh out loud!

Thank God for Jim.

Dec 14, 2009
Subtle product placement Jim, subtle :D

I agree.

Being punched in the stomach is better than being kicked in the junk.

Doesn't mean I'm going to start lining up for gut punches any time soon.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Oh mah gawd! Jim's advertisin' the Raisin Bran! Gotta go buy that shit!

Anyway, I definitely agree with this, and it's opened my eyes to the kind of crap we're going through. The kind of attitude that complacent gamers are displaying is going to keep the industry in a downward spiral. Seriously, guys. Buy games when they go on sale, buy used games, protest against DRM. If we don't, it's only going to get even worse.

Thank Jim for God.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The episide is good but examples arent.
Sure american poor may be poor, but they still live better than my countries rich.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There's a certain level of amusement to be had from Jim telling us he's not shilling when the video is surrounded by a God of War advert.

DVS BSTrD said:
This episode could have been a lot worse.
And therefore, it was good. 5/5 stars for not driving a nail through my genitals!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
What I want to know is if Jim just went out and bought that box of Raisin Bran to feature in the video, or if he really starts his days with two scoops of shriveled grapey goodness.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
The episide is good but examples arent.
Sure american poor may be poor, but they still live better than my countries rich.
So you're living on the streets, wondering when your next meal will be, and dreading winter...all while surfing the net on your computer?

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I don't believe Jim is corrupt. However, there are concerns that have been raised that people are not necessarily wrong for thinking corruption would be a possibility. Schmoozing with industry people, free swag/games, insulting viewers/readers, scores being far from the average, reviewed games not being played to completion, handling pretty much all the reviews on Destructoid when there are many talented writers on staff, articles written with blatant trolling attempts... And there is probably more.

Jim is a good writer. I genuinely enjoy most of his reviews. I just feel like there is a disconnect in there somewhere.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jim's got to be the only content provider that actually reads the forums around here.

I salute you sir, it is not an easy task to sift through so much shit.

Miracleofsound doesn't count since he was a community member before he got his show :p

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Thank you Jim for that life long lesson.Since I've been raised with the attitude "be satisfied with what you get" this became just as inspiring as some Extra Credits episodes.
I saw that thread you mentioned and my thought(which was already expressed by someone else) was "I go to both for completely different things,with different perception and expectation".

I shall pray for our Great Emperor!

herenowit

Feb 1, 2011
Raisin Bran! Is the shit.... ;)

Sorry, we did not have time to get your raisins in by product launch. You can buy them in a separate pack for $2. They are a non integral part of the bran experience anyway, so this way consumers win by being able to choose just to eat bland crap.