Jimquisition: Boob Wars and Dragon Crowns

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Boob Wars and Dragon Crowns

Dragon's Crown has become the latest game involved in a big argument. Big boobs, burly dwarves, and Kotaku were all involved.

Watch Video

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Thank god for Jim... this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I wish more people did. Discuss things and go into a conversation willing to learn something at the very least.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The constant fights on all the various issues on the web, not just the sexism in games or even just issues in games, reminds me of the Forming, Storming, Norming, etc stages of group development. I wonder if the internet is by its very nature such a hot bed of bile because the entire world simply cannot get all past the storming stage at the same time.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I couldn't agree more, thanks for the video Jim. I DO feel limited as far as rpgs and mmos are concerned. Guild Wars 2 female spellcasters looked like strippers and TERA was obvious enough. Both solid games but I just had to put them down.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I guess I will open a discussion because I am totally ignorant on the subject.

I keep on hearing about how character designs like the Tittymancer in Dragons Crown and other exaggerated designed females are a problem but I have yet to hear why they are a problem. I get a lot of "because sexism" answers but it doesn't answer my question.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Also: Boob Wars sounds like a game I'd like to play.
There actually IS a game called Boob Wars. It's about how rape is a noble act that saves the world.

It's unpleasant.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
But that's the point, there are people on both sides who are incapable of discussing things reasonably. I can think of at least 10 people off of the top of my head on here alone who go into every single sexism thread and make sweeping generalisations about the "other side", and then when they get called out on it, they accuse anybody who disagrees as being a "part of the problem".

Or there are those who try and make valid points, but make them fail by exaggerating to ridiculous degrees, claiming that all feminists are nit-picking, or that no games have normal women in them. Their points don't get taken seriously due to their poor wording, and they then play the victim card.

There are also several users who I have never seen post anything aggressive, rude, condescending or otherwise objectionable be lumped in with the same people who are causing the arguments in the first place, either being called misogynists, or femi-nazi's despite clearly being neither. This leads to almost every single thread resulting in the same exact problems.

Then of course there are the people who shoot down any attempt of discussion before it has even started. Go into almost any sexism or gender related thread and you will normally see half a dozen "Inb4 the neckbeard misogynists" or "Oh great, now the femi-nazi's will find something else to complain about" before any actual responses are made.

Or to put it another way, remove the extremists from either side, and a discussion can be had, but that's not going to happen any time soon. Even more so when those extremists seem to have convinced themselves that are not.

Although as you put so well, we can't even discuss what platform people should play their games on without petty insults, so it's not really surprising that things are the way they are.

Toilet said:
I guess I will open a discussion because I am totally ignorant on the subject.

I keep on hearing about how character designs like the Tittymancer in Dragons Crown and other exaggerated designed females are a problem but I have yet to hear why they are a problem. I get a lot of "because sexism" answers but it doesn't answer my question.
The argument is that it objectifies women and reduces them to nothing more than sexual fantasies. There are also those that argue that it affects the perception of women in real life. As well as people who say it makes them uncomfortable that there are not many normal women to play as so they have to play as overly-sexual characters instead.

Personally I think the first one is very much a case-by-case basis. Games where the women are literally nothing more than T+A as far as design is concerned are a problem (Rachel Ninja Gaiden 2), but I don't see the problem when they actually have decent character design as well. If they are good characters as well as being sexy then they are not "reduced" to anything.

The second point I don't think is even worth responding to normally, as I view it as the exact same argument as claiming violent media causes real life violence.

The third one I completely agree with, and I dislike games where the male characters are properly outfitted and proportioned, whereas the women are wearing bikini chainmail for no apparent reason.

Then again, I am also fairly desensitised to this kind of thing, so when I see skimpy outfits I more or less blank them. People kept on talking about Elizabeth's dress in Bioshock Infinite having massive cleavage, but I didn't even notice until somebody mentioned it.

zerabp

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks Jim! Communication is one of the greatest and most underutilized skills on the planet. What's great is when truly communicating, even when you both end up disagreeing with each-other, you are still both left with a greater respect for the others opinion.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The art style of this game is freaking beautiful. The elf is very cute and i'd wager that a fair few women might find the wizard rather dashing, still, I really like the Sorcerous and don't think any ill will was intended.

I do understand the need for more variety concerning female gamers, this could be said about most mediums. Stull like just making them as capable as the fellas would be a good start... im looking at you Shounen manga, WHY YOUR LADIES SO USELESS!? (I understand there are capable women in shounen manga, its just a very one sided fight).

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
The flame war over Dragon's Crown confused me a bit at first; sure, the women were ridiculously proportioned, but so were the men. I figured that was what they were going for. Super-stylized, over-the-top, beyond the pale to a point where it barely mattered to the gender discussion because it was too extreme to be compared

Then a few days ago, I took a step back & I saw what Jim saw: Insult, gay joke, trolling on all sides.

It did make me wonder though, why wasn't there this outrage of Bayonetta? A few eyebrows were raised, but everyone seemed to accept it
Why? What made her different?
Is it because she was a bad-ass? That'd be a legitimate argument; she's an independent character of incredible power, she'll dress how she wants.

I'm still rolling this one around in my head to find the X factor

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
There are a few rational discussions.. they are just surrounded by brick walls and flames from both sides resulting in them eventually catching fire or leaving after a few posts

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I couldn't tell it was a satire because I've seen anime and game characters with breasts that huge who were being played totally straight, so nothing about it came off as satirical to me. There's a point where the reality has become so ridiculous it's impossible to satirize.

And I still want to know why that dancing wizard mouse isn't a playable character.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Great episode and one anyone diving into a gender debate needs to hear. Plus the jab at the console wars got a chuckle from me.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Thank god for Jim... this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I wish more people did. Discuss things and go into a conversation willing to learn something at the very least.
Agreed and as usual a good show, it seems obvious but I hope this reaches the people that don't ever discuss things beyond initial outrage and insults. Fingers crossed.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I think a lot of people could benefit from discussion, but it's so hard to get going.
It's all either `I see something wrong with this and always will` or `I don't see anything wrong with this and never will`.
Trying to be civil gets hard under those circumstances but we should always try.
It's easy to see why people get upset on both sides, but that doesn't make for good discussion.

It's at the point where most people will bail out of these threads within the first couple of pages before it all blows up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The problem here, Jim, is that you portray this as an "both sides are equally wrong" deal, then go on to point out (I think rather correctly) that a key problem lies in the willingness to fling poo at anyone who indicates their might be a problem in the games industry. Keep in mind we've had civil statements from publishers and developers who seek more diversity, only to have them shouted down like they just played "Anita Sarkeesian Mad Libs."

I'm not sure civil discussion in this medium is possible. This is like a discussion between a normal person and a Truther. While normal people are flawed and prone to do bad things or make mistakes (depending on the person, situation, and po\int of view), the Truther argument is steeped in emotion, histrionics and deception. Everyone is either with you or a sheeple, much in the way of the gaming debates.

On the other hand, playing the blame game isn't exactly going to change that, but it still irks me to see false concessions.

Also, regarding the current controversy, I don't really care much about the Sorc. She's over-the-top, but the rest of the game's characters are not done in a pandering fashion. I think this is the wrong battle, quite frankly. I think the art is horrible, however.

Sadly, had I written a shorter reply, I could have finally had the first post in a Jimquisition thread. However, I felt this needed saying.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Here, here!

I'm honestly conflicted on Dragon Crown. I absolutely love George Katamari's artwork, and I loved both Muramasa and Odin Sphere. I'm even willing to admit taking a bit of guilty pleasure in hot chicks sexy armor. I don't think every game needs it, but when it fits and makes sense (mainly with a highly stylized art direction) I don't see it as a bad thing.

But here it just feels like too much, I don't see a character so much as a pair of huge wobbling tits, and that honestly makes me feel a little unconformable - and so I find myself torn here. I don't know ... maybe I'm just getting tired of it.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
My comments to your videos are always so bland because you cover all your bases and have good points I agree with. But I still want to show you support, so thank god for you, Jim.