Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
That last bit was really my thought on gamer boycotts, is that for all the cries of boycott, none of those involved in them actually have any balls and they always end up abandoning it to go buy what they were boycotting.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
I wasn't keen on this show at first. I still don't dig the insulting the audience part honestly, but I am glad that he's dealing with things I haven't seen on other shows here now. I agree with Jim too, I just wish we could become more organized with it all. I hate the way consumer rights are trashed right now, but I don't see a way to fix it until we unite better.

On that note, I have successfully boycotted Apple products for over a decade now. Between the cult of personality and terrible treatment of its customers (my husband lost all the music he had bought for years when he swapped his I-Pod for an android I guess) I'll never give them my money. Its getting easier and easier to do it too, thank God for Amazon and Android.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Another great episode. This show is really getting better and better. And with Extra Credits now gone, I predict that Jimquisition will eventually replace it.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.
Does this apply to Moviebobs Gamestop boycott? Your persona is moviebobs actual personality which I have been finding hilarious. Seems like you're trolling him with your videos.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I liked it, you managed to represent both sides of the argument and make some nice points. Probably my favourite episode so far.
As for the topic at hand, I can't say much more than that I agree completely. Complain all you want, just don't use that word unless you mean it.

Oh, and I'm all for a boycott for Diablo 3 because of their always on DRM, even though I love the auction house idea. This is the title where a boycott will really hurt, plus there's a perfectly legitimate option in torchlight 2. This title, as John Carmack has put it, will be the definitive make it or break it point for always on DRM, and as someone with a really schizophrenic internet connection, I'm very much against it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I wouldn't really yell boycott if i find a problem with a game and don't like the idea or changes made to a game i'll simply just not buy said game and instead buy something else that appeals to my fancy.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Hmmm... Good episode Jim, you made a big step from your first videos here. Keep up the good work.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
I didn't like your stuff at first jim, but I have to agree with you on this. Most boycotters are stupid and just want to whine while having their game. I said I refused to buy any thing using online pass codes and the like and I aim to stick to it no matter how many games I want use it. I will go without games if I have to/

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
tautologico said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
I do think the Diablo 3 boycott is justified.

Not because of the "it's to bight complaint" people are giving it, which just doesn't make any sense to me, but the in game store that is run by the players, uses REAL money (I.E. letting anybody buy power at the start of the game if they want it, and anybody could have their items not sold because somebody else made the price of their same item one cent cheaper), the lack of modability, the always on DRM even in single player, and the complete disregard for it's potential for Esports with the game's PvP on the part of Blizzard.
I don't think a full-blown boycott is justified in this case. Whoever is annoyed by any of this can simply not buy the game. To me most of the points made aren't very important:

1 - Real money AH: With D2 and WoW, Blizzard has fought a losing battle about gold sellers. Note that most gold sellers also sell power, i.e. "power leveling". Black-market gold selling is bad because it creates an incentive for account hacking, which happens a lot in WoW. With D3 Blizzard has taken the risky, but very worthwile road of regulating the market instead of trying to ban it.

2 - Mods: I don't recall ever hearing about or using a mod in either Diablo or D2. I don't think modding was very prominent in the Diablo series as it is in other series (like Starcraft for example). It's a somewhat valid complaint for some people, but something most players won't miss and won't even notice.

3 - Permanent internet connection requirement - This I think is a very valid complaint, but I don't think that it, by itself, warrants a boycott. Don't like the idea, don't buy it. I know some people who would like to play D3 may have problems because of their connection (however, I can't believe this is the case for most people; I live in a developing country and even here almost everyone has a stable internet connection at home).

4 - Esport: I don't think Blizzard has ever considered D3 as an esport game. I remember they specifically saying that PvP won't be balanced, because it's not that kind of game. It's a design decision, it's their call, so it's a very bad reason for thinking about boycotts.
1. -The store also has a charge to putting up items on the store, and it only stays up on the store for a limited time. The undercharging by a cent I mentioned earlier can lose YOU money if it keeps happening. You also never addressed the "buying of power" complaint.

2. Mods were a pretty big bit of Diablo 2's longgesvity. Most of them were just adding new enemies, items, weapons, etc. While none reached the level of DOTA popularity, people kept coming back because they could always find new content, such as the "Diary of the Dark Wanderer" mod.

3. Still, you cannot bring the game onto a plane, on a long bus ride, when the power is out if you have a and play it on a laptop. Even EA has stepped back from DRM, it looked like DRM would just die completely, since it been proven completely ineffective at preventing piracy. Hell, it pushed a few people to piracy just to avoid the DRM. However, if somebody as big as Blizzard gets away with it, everybody will just be glad to do it again.

4. The PLAYERS thought it might be a good E-sports game, and Blizzard just shut them down.

cfehunter

Oct 5, 2010
Valid points.
I had no idea people were so agitated by the new sonic games physics being off. It's a sonic game, when have they ever been realistic?

I'm still not buying Diablo III though. As you said in your video, issues where publisher control comes before consumer convenience are the issues we should take a stand against.
Despite how Blizzard sugar coat it, if it were really just about giving us extra features they could easily make them optional, no this is about DRM.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
lockecole21 said:
Jim Sterling said:
BOYCOTT!

Jim Sterling (AKA the only reason to be alive on a Monday) has come to deliver some more delicious justice from his pantry of righteousness. This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.

Watch Video

sorry,i don't feel the same as you.i find him as a ridiculous parody of everything that is wrong with site.his ego is the main reason i do not watch him.
What an odd place to have a comment like that, or were you looking to the comments to see what this ep was about? The use of the the BOYCOTT in all caps will draw some people who might not have checked Jim out otherwise.

OT: Total agreement for me on boycotting, I wonder if anyone in the boycotting group felt at least a little embarrassed or ashamed when buying/playing the very game they were up-in-arms about.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I think this became an issue because we have such a limited choice of products. Our only choice is to play the games we get served or boycot them. If we had more variety of games we could choose to support the developers we like. That would be a more enjoyable form of consumer influence. The current situation happens in many markets when competition gets limited.

Instead of thinking about boycots all the time, it may help to support alternative developers that we do like.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
xsoenx said:
i am Boycotting EA because i can´t take there overpriced and massive packs of DLC, and the Online pass, and shutting down servers, and shutting down companies after 1 bland game.
and the way i do this is that i never pay for something they made directly. so i rent or buy used there games if i wanna try them and i don´t touch there DLC anymore unless it is free
This. I miss Bioware's games and I'm going to really hate not being able to play the new Star Wars MMO but EA embodies everything wrong with publishers and I'll walk over hot coals before I give them a dime of my money. If more people did this then they'd lose money and change their practices. Unfortunately, everyone bitches but no one wants to go without. A single dollar speaks louder than a thousand forum posts. EA has made it CRYSTAL clear that they don't care what you think as long as they're still making money.

Mangod said:
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Has anyone made a joke about boycotting the Jimquisition yet? I hope not.
There's been some (translation: a lot). And guess what? None of them have accomplished anything either ;)
That's because it wasn't actual rage. It was just fashion hating. Meaning, it was fashionable to hate it. All the cool people were hating it so I will to so I'll fit in. There's a LOT of this going around.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
geru45gyik said:
"We get people bitching because fallout 3 wasn't exactly like fallout" You mean good ?
Fallout and Fallout 2 were decent games, but they were not games that could appeal to a mass market. Bethesda fixed that by making the game the way it was, and as is, it's still a damn good game and even though you might not like it, pretty much everyone else has voted to disagree with you.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Interesting episode and I fully agree with you Jim.

People who decide to boycott should stick to their guns and not give in.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
The only thing I personally BOYCOTT is anything with the Persistent Online Connection for single player games.

Anything else I just don't use that word for, its too powerful.

Instead of declaring a boycott, warn other people about practices and ask them if they really want to give money to a publisher who either treats developers or its customers badly. Bad news travels faster than the word boycott.

If the message gets across to consumers that we are only promoting this sort of practice by buying games, then in time people will stop buying games from a target company and then it will become profitable to consider their customers.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
As much as I agree with Jim, I find him extremely annoying. His way of presenting his opinion is just annoying as hell. It doesn't seem professional. It's too emotional and not very well thought out. He needs more work.