Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
BOYCOTT!

Jim Sterling (AKA the only reason to be alive on a Monday) has come to deliver some more delicious justice from his pantry of righteousness. This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.

Watch Video

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I really liked his intro it made laugh so hard, but magikharp is badass not a boycotter who gives up.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
There seems to be a rather large divide between your on camera persona and the persona you give when making the speeches.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, it is something not easily organized or done. Especially if what the boycott is about does not affect the consumer in any way.

For example, for Star Wars: The Old Republic, there was recently a boycott trying to get off the ground to get players in North America and Europe to not buy the game because of the outrageously stupid international policies that ended up killing guilds before the game was even released. Unfortunately, no one wanted to participate because everyone that was affected couldn't buy the game anyway and everyone else just didn't care.

xsoenx

Dec 15, 2010
i am Boycotting EA because i can´t take there overpriced and massive packs of DLC, and the Online pass, and shutting down servers, and shutting down companies after 1 bland game.
and the way i do this is that i never pay for something they made directly. so i rent or buy used there games if i wanna try them and i don´t touch there DLC anymore unless it is free

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
This episode was pretty much all awesome, all the way, and illustrates exactly why games media needs people like Jim, Yahtzee and others: commentators detached from the tribalistic bullshit and capable of ripping into what most are happy to accept.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
He is totally right about that...
I got so angry when I say all these guys playing mw2 while being in a boycott group -.-

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Great show Jim. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm in the apathy camp. It seems like every forum I go to is people boycotting one thing or another. I'm to the point where I honestly don't give a shit, and if there is something that I may not agree with. I won't buy it, but because I don't want to not because of some internet boycott that generally has about as much steam behind it as a toy locomotive.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Im sorry, but Jim was wrong on the Left 4 Dead protest, the problem wasn't simply that it was released one year after, it was that it was practically the same game, and that anything else that was added could have been added as an update, and things that weren't fixed in the origional left 4 dead still have not been fixed to this day, were added when left 4 dead 2 came out. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, and if you look, it actually worked, the studio that made the game got kicked out AND they didn't make another game for valve afterwards.

RPQ

Nov 22, 2009
I love your videos Jim and in this case I just had to say thanks because 75% of the time i'm very apathetic to boycotts because the ones I hear about tend to be like the Sonic boycotts but its good to be booted out of my apathy by solid arguments and good causes so I will think harder next time there is a supposed boycott plan.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I've never seen a boycott on a videogame. Sure I hear people say it, but I've never seen it work. Dragon Age 2 is a great example of this.

I'm boycotting the word boycott.

Starting..... right..... NOW!

EDIT: Thank God for Jim.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Wow, thanks Jim. I've often wondered why the community at large seems not to care about consumer rights issues. This makes a lot of sense. I did know about the people calling to boycott L4D2 or HL2:E3 because they were announced too quickly or weren't announced quickly enough. Just never considered that these issues were so intimately connected.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
is boycotting a big issue? I haven't noticed. But now I hear this and they were mentioning it on the podcast. Huh..I guess I just don't get that involved.

May 5, 2010
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
The reason why we see so much whining over trivial things is because gamers are just people at the end of the day, and people are stupid. This is why there are people who watch really TV, who are vegetarian and even people who blamed the recent UK riots on videogames.
For that reason, I don't see this problem going away this time soon, its not like we can ban stupid people off the internet. best we can do is laugh at them until we are able to detect the potential for idiocy in the fetus and mandate abortions for such fetuses by law.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Hooray, he got the insufferable "Giant Ego Persona" humor over with at the start of the episode now! That makes TWO episodes so far that have actually been somewhat enjoyable!

Heck, one more decent episode, and he might actually justify the existence of this show.

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
I
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.
I'm almost certain he will continue with it next week.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's hard enough to organize a boycott around something that actually matters: human rights, civil rights, corruption, etc - there are many boycotts of companies, governments and groups going on right now, and most people don't even bat an eyelid.

So what chance in hell do Video game boycotts have? I'm sorry, as much as I love video games, I am mature enough to recognize that the world is far bigger than games. I play video games all the time - 30 or so hours a week. But I recognize that at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

I don't like some corporate practices - like on-line DRM, pre-order bonuses, etc, but I honestly can't bring myself to rage at EA as if it were some sort of horrible demon from the abyss of evil!

So that's why video game boycotts won't work: because it's just NOT that emotional an issue. Hell, if you can't get people to boycott a company that poisoned the ocean by releasing millions of gallons of crude oil and killed 13 of its own workers due to sheer cost-cutting and incompetence (you know which company I'm talking about), how on earth are you going to get them to boycott a VIDEO GAME publisher?

dicksmcerson

Sep 6, 2008
TheyTookOurJobs said:
I
If he does, I'll boycott the show.

Mar 30, 2010
Absolutlely spot on with this episode. There are too many gamers out there who overreact to changes in popular series, and this excess has led to a lot of others who immediately dismiss legitimate complaints as fanboy-isms. Well called.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I honestly thought he was going to talk about people choosing sides and yelling for a Boycott of the Escapist for the leave of Extra Credits. Well I thank God of Jim to prove me wrong and bring me something good this monday. Awesome.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
I've been a member of WWE Smackdown video game boards for years, and I bet you everyone who says "it's just the same old ****" ends up buying it anyway due to lack of competition. They cling to 10 year old models like No Mercy as some holy grail, and if it doesn't have "branching text based stories," or "proper physics," they just pan the new game weeks before release. Yes, THQ lies all the time, but I've never felt the games denied me enough enjoyment. I play it 200+ days a year, so it's not something I can just throw in the towel. That is unless they bring back female weapon restrictions from a few years ago...that was the worst decision ever.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
dicksmcerson said:
TheyTookOurJobs said:
I
If he does, I'll boycott the show.
And by boycott, you mean not watch it until it's been up for maybe, an hour? :D

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
That handful of gamers yelling boycott and actually going through with it (unlike most), never make any difference.
There can be no boycott if it isn't organized.

More importantly, for most of us there can be multiple reasons not to buy game X. I cannot say for example I boycotted Spore for use of intrusive DRM, because I never had any interest in that crappy game in the first place.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Has anyone made a joke about boycotting the Jimquisition yet? I hope not.
There's been some (translation: a lot). And guess what? None of them have accomplished anything either ;)

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I am NOT buying Diablo 3 nor any of Starcraft 2 parts 1/2/3 due to Blizzard's (and Activision's) poor business practices. I am not paying full price for a third of a game, I am not buying a single-player experience that requires me to always be online just so they can be secure in digital rights that fuck the consumer. And I certainly am not going to be a gold farmer for Blizzard and pay them more for nonexistant bling.

I call it a boycott, but others my disagree. In any case, Blizzard games are on my do not buy list.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I had given up on this guy as something of a loudmouth douche and wrote him off as a waste of time after giving the first three episodes a fair chance. The subject interested me, though, so I figured I'd give him a fourth chance.

I'm glad I did. Good work this time.

Not enough to wipe you completely off my shit list, Jim, but I'll give you another chance next week.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Thank you Jim. Thank you. I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I agree on nearly all points ( the L4D2 boycott was one of the justified ones at the time)

Many gamers jump to boycott so often that the industry doesn't take it seriously anymore. And that's a big problem.

I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.
Did you watch the show? He made an appeal to people who say this kind of thing. That some boycotts are needed and should not be quick to be dismissed.

Jan 27, 2011
*applause*

Well said. If someone doesn't like something, they can choose not to get it, but they shouldn't scream boycott over everything, especially if they're just gonna turn around and get it anyway.

Mildly-partially-maybe-related-to-topic:
Oh, and BTW. The physics of Sonic 4 WERE borked. Specifically the spindash physics (I didn't mind the floaty jumps. The spindash was the big problem for me). I have an ingrained habit of tapping down when going down a hill or a loop in 2D sonic, because in all the old games, it makes you go in to a ball and accelerate.

In sonic 4, curling into a ball when going down a hill SLOWED YOU DOWN. Not nly does this not make sense, but it contradicts a very important instinct I have learned over YEARS of playing sonic 3 and Knuckles (even doing a speedrun for a contest).

...that said, I still liked Sonic 4. I have no plans to boycott Episode 2. Even if they don't fix those stupid spindash physics (although Sonic Generations did it right in the demo. I was happy about that)

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Im sorry, but Jim was wrong on the Left 4 Dead protest, the problem wasn't simply that it was released one year after, it was that it was practically the same game, and that anything else that was added could have been added as an update, and things that weren't fixed in the origional left 4 dead still have not been fixed to this day, were added when left 4 dead 2 came out. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, and if you look, it actually worked, the studio that made the game got kicked out AND they didn't make another game for valve afterwards.
I like your arguement, except the parts where you're wrong.

Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't the same as L4D. Saying so is like complaining about any sequel being the same as the game its based off of. Thats kinda the point of sequels. A lot of the changes done to L4D2 were under the hood. They changed how the Director worked, modified the engine to allow for different features (branching pathes, new melee system, modifiers and deviations from the standard L4D weapon/health system, enhanced matchmaking features), etc. You could argue they could do that in a single update, but I'd then have to ask you why you're being so self entitled. They made a lot of updates in L4D2, people are just bitching because it used the same engine. Its literally the same arguement ignorant people use to complain about Pokemon. "They're all the same" - if you don't know what you're talking about. "They don't add any significant features with each iteration" - if you've never bothered to pick up a copy of the game.

Last time I checked, the Studio that made L4D is STILL creating content, and tweaking content for both games. The original doesn't see as much traffic anymore - its how Halo 3 is to Halo Reach.

Also, the point of the boycott was to tell Valve this would not pass as a fully priced retail game. If you look at the facts and the sales chart, it sold well. And even the creator of the biggest boycott against Valve visited their HQ, played the game, and said "this was actually pretty good". The L4D boycott was an embarassment.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
DJDarque said:
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.
My thoughts exactly, perhaps in the past I've been put off by the intro portion that got paraphrased in this episode.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat in the Apathy camp here, but I think that's because of the nature of the entertainment industry versus, say, the retail industry. It's very easy to boycott, say, Walmart when you can go to a different store to do all the shopping you would have done there, but each video game is unique, and even if other games are in the same genre you can't call them the same. If I want to boycott a video game (or a video game company), it means that I definitively cannot obtain the game they're making, I can't just shop for it somewhere else.

So someone would have to make a damn good argument if I were to boycott the release of a game I wanted.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
DJDarque said:
That's more or less the tone the show has taken ever since the first two episodes. He still begins and ends with his characteristic shit-eating grin, but he dropped a lot of needless profanity and found a more comfortable format quickly. Watch the one on the PSN outage, I almost gave a standing ovation for his first suggestion.

As for the episode: Yeah, I'm totally onboard with this one. Sonic 4 is one of those games that'll get no ends of complaints from me, but my complaints were always just that: complaints. I was never so butt-hurt over it that I was going to try and raise a collective middle finger against Sega for it, I just didn't think it was good and wasn't going to buy it. Yet when I raise this opinion even today there's a ton of people--plenty of whom didn't lay their hands on the demo, much less buy the game--who treat it like a declaration of war, all because of the pissing and moaning that over-sensitive fans raised over the most impotent and stupid of details in this relatively inconsequential game. Attitudes like this make it very difficult to raise meaningful discussion...

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
The Point with Fallout 3 fitted Perfectly into the Time when I was on a Fallout Site.

Merely 1/2 of the users where bitching, because it wasn't anymore ISO perspective, but endet up playing it anyway cause you know... it aint 1997 since a while. :p

Some of those Boycotts... Urgh.

Never had to do one actually since my tight wallet doen't let me buy stuff that I just got poked by the side of instead of buying what could be intresting.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
This was pretty damn well said.

Thanks for what has been (whether you intended it or not) a public service announcement. I'll be sure to hold onto this view of boycotting.

Thanks Jim.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, this issue was so important to Jim that he stuck all the usual stuff, even his "Thank God for me" at the beginning so he can spend the rest of the episode talking about the world "boycott". I never specifically used the world, but I do remember saying I'm not going to buy Super Smash Bros. Brawl if it only had 35 characters... Which was stupid. I do see this often, though, and I hate how people have been desensitized to it.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
My boycott of Valve until they release HL2 ep3 is still going strong thank you very much.
That's a stupid reason to boycott... you missed out on amazing games just because you didn't get the sequel to an arbitrary game?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
i am currently boycotting capcom because of the refusal to release AAI2 over here yet says theyll release any other ace attorney games that are released. what if a character from AAI2 appears in AA5? were not gonna know who they are. plus this one explains a bit more about what happened to edgeworths dad

also boycotting over MML3 cancellation, the rerelease of MVC3 5 months after the original and not compensating those who bought the original, then insulting those who were upset that megaman wasnt included in the roster.

no one cares though because "mml3 was a bad game and fighting games are the only good genre." ill remember that when they cut street fighter in a few years because people got sick of rebuying the games.

capcom dont have anything i want anyways. resident evil? dont care, didnt play 5. asuras wrath? not intresting, all it is is an asian god of war. dragons dogma? watered down dragon age. devil may cry? series is shit and boring and emo looking dante is worse.dead rising 2? dont need it. viewtiful joe? please like theyre gonna make a new one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bdcjacko said:
is boycotting a big issue? I haven't noticed. But now I hear this and they were mentioning it on the podcast. Huh..I guess I just don't get that involved.
Nor should you, but he's right. People scream BOYCOTT! at the drop of a hat. There were "boycott" cries over Dante looking like a different kind of prat in the new DMC. There were boycott cries over something about the new Tomb Raider, too. Hell if I can remember, but it was probably because Lara's boobs aren't DDDDDDDs anymore.

Stuff about "always on" DRM and DRM in general makes sense, but gamers toss around "boycott" like most people toss around "like." Like, you know.

Plus, few gaming boycotts ever follow through. Since, as Jim pointed out, people have to have their Modern Warfare 2.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Asking gamers to treat the verb boycott and its power with respect, is like trying to ask Michel Foucault to pull the self-indulgent stick out of his ass.

The boycott for Modern Warfare 2 has to have been the largest boycott (or close to), and it ended up a complete and utter farce.

UrKnightErrant said:
Not enough to wipe you completely off my shit list, Jim, but I'll give you another chance next week.
Oh, look! Another self-serving, smug remark about Jim's persona.

I'd rather read your opinion than a pointless remark about the content's creator. You're a person who has keen insight, yes?

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Wasn't a big fan of his to start, but this isn't half bad. Also, I love the veeery subtle FF9 Zorn and Thorn theme hidden in there. Very sneaky, but it gets extra points in my books for including that. ;)
I'll just leave this here...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
1: I like the arrogant persona, but it's also nice to see things taken a little more seriously and personally, like in the NoA episode.

2: I thought the L4D2 outrage was justified, but the call for a boycott wasn't. Mostly becasue I knew it wouldn't work. The Church of Freeman would never defy their Almighty God-King Valve. They'd talk shit, but all the while they had that game pre-ordered and were counting down the days, and would go singing their Lord's praises once the game came out. Plus, the game was good and they actually kept their promise to update it this time.

3: Agreed. Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean you should go to everyone "Stop being excited! Stop having fun! Have my opinion or I will YELL LOUDER UNTIL YOU DO!"

4: This all comes about because of 3 things: A: Gamers a whiny, entitled lot who think the Dev should cater to them and only them, and anyone who goes against their wishes should be scorned. B: The internet lets them find a couple like-minded individuals that they can rage together with anonymously with and C: Some people really think that people will give a damn that they are saying "Dante looks emo, so let's boycott!". Entitlement, Anonymity and Delusions of Grandeur are what often lead to these 'boycotts' in the first place.

S14

Aug 15, 2011
I'm sorry Jim but after watching the first couple episodes of your show I wrote it off. However, these last two episodes have been really thought provoking and entertaining well done good sir! Keep it up and you will have a new avid viewer.

Jun 11, 2008
enzilewulf said:
Thank you Jim. Thank you. I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.
Really none of it is ever for a good reason?

OT: Also I like everyone taking the piss out of the MW2 boycott just because of the Steam group. The Steam group was a very small portion of the boycott which was 1/4 of a mil and it was recorded that PC sales were significantly lower for that game. Someone of us do know how to boycott however, thank you very much. There was a lot more to the MW2 boycott than just dedicated servers and to name a few price increase, lack of features like lean and mods.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The most coherent arguments I've seen Jim make so far. I wondered if this week's episode was put together in response to the outrage over the EC shitstorm last week and was pleasantly surprised. Probably not enough to start watching the show again, I still find the style very affected, but a decent episode nonetheless.

As usual though a little exaggerated. You're never going to stop certain words being devalued. Particularly within the internet culture of anonymity and people's perceived invulnerability to peer judgement which incites so many to be self-righteous little rage-bots at the drop of a hat. A brief commentary on the internet's influence on communication would probably have been appropriate.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
This may be, perhaps, the best column he's done on the Escapist. And I gotta say, not only was the subject matter interesting, thought out, and presented well - but I really liked not having to wade through the typical beginning and outro.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Genixma said:
I honestly thought he was going to talk about people choosing sides and yelling for a Boycott of the Escapist for the leave of Extra Credits. Well I thank God of Jim to prove me wrong and bring me something good this monday. Awesome.
When i watched I heard the whole thing as a veiled speech about that. It may or may not be, but it is certainly relevant to that discussion. Notice how the most vocal Escapist BOYCOTT callers are still here signing in everyday just to continue posting about it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
THANK YOU! All these "im boycotting this game" posts lately have been absurd. that being said, i did boycott fallout 3 (and have stuck to it, i have no desire to ever play it). not because it looked different but because the gameplay had been fundamentally changed. i wanted a turn based rpg, not an fpsrpg

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Very good episode.

Actually laugh out loud at the 'compiled douchebagness' of the beginning. :)

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
Please, stop with the horrendous looking MS Paint crap. It makes your show look SO unprofessional and, quite frankly, it's an eye sore. That being said, great point, I agree with most of your points.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
Plazmatic said:
I like your arguement, except the parts where you're wrong.

Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't the same as L4D. Saying so is like complaining about any sequel being the same as the game its based off of. Thats kinda the point of sequels. A lot of the changes done to L4D2 were under the hood. They changed how the Director worked, modified the engine to allow for different features (branching pathes, new melee system, modifiers and deviations from the standard L4D weapon/health system, enhanced matchmaking features), etc. You could argue they could do that in a single update, but I'd then have to ask you why you're being so self entitled. They made a lot of updates in L4D2, people are just bitching because it used the same engine. Its literally the same arguement ignorant people use to complain about Pokemon. "They're all the same" - if you don't know what you're talking about. "They don't add any significant features with each iteration" - if you've never bothered to pick up a copy of the game.

Last time I checked, the Studio that made L4D is STILL creating content, and tweaking content for both games. The original doesn't see as much traffic anymore - its how Halo 3 is to Halo Reach.

Also, the point of the boycott was to tell Valve this would not pass as a fully priced retail game. If you look at the facts and the sales chart, it sold well. And even the creator of the biggest boycott against Valve visited their HQ, played the game, and said "this was actually pretty good". The L4D boycott was an embarassment.
Im not going to read your response since this was not directed at you for you, or other wise anything to do with you. All I said was the reasons for the boycott which were legitimate. this was not an argument as this was not a matter of opinion.

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
00slash00 said:
THANK YOU! All these "im boycotting this game" posts lately have been absurd. that being said, i did boycott fallout 3 (and have stuck to it, i have no desire to ever play it). not because it looked different but because the gameplay had been fundamentally changed. i wanted a turn based rpg, not an fpsrpg
But that isn't a boycott. A boycott is not buying something to prove a point, you didn't buy it because you didn't like the looks of it. That is exactly what jim is talking about. "Boycotting" things for silly reasons.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jim, I loved this video and all, but being a rare viewer I have to ask: what the fucking fuck is giong on with your animations?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Could not agree more. I just had this conversation with a friend yesterday. How we as gamers have given up any and all hope of making positive change by showing the developers that while we're good at pissing and moaning, we're horrible at sticking to our guns.

And to be fair, I'm just as guilty as anyone of doing this. Although I never cried out or tried to rally troops, I was not intending to buy the last CoD game because of the poor treatment of the Infinity Ward founders then ended up getting it anyway because I wanted to be Richard Nixon shooting zombies in the face. I am properly ashamed of myself, but I still got to spill galons of zombie ichor while saying "I am NOT A CROOK!" and waving my fat jowels Futurama style.

I hope we can follow Jim's advice on this one and maybe be a bit less quick to sound the rally cry in the future unless it's truly neccesary.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If boycotting ever actually works and publishers see a significant dip in profits, they'll probably blame pirating anyway.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Every week half the forum for Jim seems to be "Good thing I gave the show one last shot, you managed to do a good episode."

As for the boycotts there stupid, half the time people boycott a game because it's to similar to the first the other half is because the game is to different from the first. Also I think I'm gonna see this episode make a few rounds when the next Call of Duty game gets announced.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DJDarque said:
The 2 first episodes were pretty bad. I've been watching it and enjoying it since episode 4 or 5, he's simply improved a lot since he first appeared. You should see if you enjoy some of the videos after the 2 first too.

OT: Great stuff. He really managed to front the stupidity we usually see with gamers boycotting and still not dismiss boycotting as all bad.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
OK this was a good one. Finally deserving of the praise Jim's fans give him.

This needed to be said very badly. Too many prats out there spouting histrionic nonsense every time everything isn't absolutely perfect. And by that I mean not exactly the way they want it to be.

No one in the gaming press really wants to take consumer action as seriously as it should be. They either blow crap out of proportion and jump on the boycott everything express or they completely minimize consumer rights.

Moderation is called for here. I find it highly disturbing that Jim Sterling of all people was the first I've seen top actually call for it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I agree with everything Sterling said, but I'm kind of a terrible person to turn to.

The last "Battlefield" game I played was Battlefield 1942. The last "Call of Duty" game I played was just called "Call of Duty". Oh, wait- I played one of the DS versions of Modern Warfare. But I don't recall any hue and cry over that.

I haven't played Starcraft 2, and I'm not likely to get Diablo III. I've barely gotten into Left For Dead, so I guess I kind of unwittingly boycotted LFD2.

I'll probably get Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 3, and Torchlight 2 (the last for my spouse), and I'm considering Skyrim and Arkham City. Let me know if any controversies arise over those. But as usual, I'm about five games behind right now, so most calls for boycotts that reach me are probably going to get a response that amounts to "Um, I wasn't going to buy that anyway, so, count me in, I guess...?"

Crikey, I haven't even caught up with everything I got at the last Steam Holiday sale...

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Johnnie Brambora said:
00slash00 said:
But that isn't a boycott. A boycott is not buying something to prove a point, you didn't buy it because you didn't like the looks of it. That is exactly what jim is talking about. "Boycotting" things for silly reasons.
um...no, not buying wind waker because its cell shaded is not buying it for the looks, not buying a game because it was an fps when you had been waiting for a turn based rpg, is not buying it because you dont like the gameplay. back when interplay was still developing fallout 3, it looked quite a bit different from fallout 1 and 2, but i was still excited to buy it. i felt betrayed when i read in interview by fallout 3 developers, saying they used halo as an influence. its the same as fans of xcom being mad that the sequel is being turned into an fps

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
My boycott of Valve until they release HL2 ep3 is still going strong thank you very much.
You sir I give props to for boycotting Valve, but your missing half the point. Yes they have said that Episode 3 is coming out and with nothing as much as a screen shot it is kind of irritating that they keep "making games" instead of focusing on their core game. What you be mad about is their business practices. Instead of building the game from the ground up they will buy the rights to a mod, recode itand put in new character models, and then sell it as their own game and people will defend it until the end because it has the Valve logo on it. And all these little side projects take up all their time instead of making the one game that they have actually made. Whats worse is that Valve refuses to say anything if the HL3 delay is cause by lack of funding, lack of man hours, Gabe has writers block, or even if they plan to release the game once the new Source engine comes out.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:
My thoughts exactly, perhaps in the past I've been put off by the intro portion that got paraphrased in this episode.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat in the Apathy camp here, but I think that's because of the nature of the entertainment industry versus, say, the retail industry. It's very easy to boycott, say, Walmart when you can go to a different store to do all the shopping you would have done there, but each video game is unique, and even if other games are in the same genre you can't call them the same. If I want to boycott a video game (or a video game company), it means that I definitively cannot obtain the game they're making, I can't just shop for it somewhere else.

So someone would have to make a damn good argument if I were to boycott the release of a game I wanted.
You could buy used for console games and that would effectively be a boycott for the publisher. Don't buy DLC though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jim Sterling said:
community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action
Here's the thing, I may boycott a game because of a business practice that I find abusive towards consumers ("Pass" schemes, Day 1 DLC, their games always launch broken only to be patched much later...if ever) but I may still rent the game. Does that still count as a boycott?

Or I might buy a game used: I plan on buying Mortal Kombat used because I don't like the idea of them taking out online play for those who (probably for financial reasons: that's why I used to usually) buy used, and when I want to play multiplayer for a game like that, I prefer it to be on the couch.

BTW - I also think that people have to stop over-using the word "entitlement."
I think that paying $60 for a game actually does "entitle" you to a complete (full length) game that works.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Muhahahah..... "Would only bought by neckbeards"

Thank you Jim, give it to the Fallout 1+2 Fanboys !!

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Jim wins again!
Thanks for mentioning the Modern Warfare 2 boycott. I bought the game, thinking it'd fix the problems from World at War and the first Modern Warfare, only to be ultimately disappointed by a broken fucking game, and spineless bastards who have been "boycotting" it finding themselves all playing the damn game, and then went on to "boycott" Left 4 Dead 2.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
the word and thing of boycott is in itself nonsensical
no one needs to "call out" a boycott
a boycott is only that a person won't do a thing
why would one have to rally people for that?
if people don't like a thing they don't do it... period
your boycott would reach people who weren't going to do it anyway...and people who don't care about your opinion will still not care

the only thing such a thing will do is to sway idiotic people with no own opinion or understanding of how to inform oneself
if i want to rally idiots for my cause i'd become a politician

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Mr. Omega said:
1: I like the arrogant persona, but it's also nice to see things taken a little more seriously and personally, like in the NoA episode.

2: I thought the L4D2 outrage was justified, but the call for a boycott wasn't. Mostly becasue I knew it wouldn't work. The Church of Freeman would never defy their Almighty God-King Valve. They'd talk shit, but all the while they had that game pre-ordered and were counting down the days, and would go singing their Lord's praises once the game came out. Plus, the game was good and they actually kept their promise to update it this time.

3: Agreed. Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean you should go to everyone "Stop being excited! Stop having fun! Have my opinion or I will YELL LOUDER UNTIL YOU DO!"

4: This all comes about because of 3 things: A: Gamers a whiny, entitled lot who think the Dev should cater to them and only them, and anyone who goes against their wishes should be scorned. B: The internet lets them find a couple like-minded individuals that they can rage together with anonymously with and C: Some people really think that people will give a damn that they are saying "Dante looks emo, so let's boycott!". Entitlement, Anonymity and Delusions of Grandeur are what often lead to these 'boycotts' in the first place.
I think calling gamers self entitled should get an episode because that is also overused. There's nothing wrong with people having opinions about a game and even more so if they just spent $60 on it.

So maybe I should alter your 3rd point. "Just because YOU don't like something someone says doesn't mean you should go to everyone "Stop being self entitled! Have my opinion or I will YELL LOUDER UNTIL YOU DO!".

Quite frankly I got tired of people on the internet calling everyone else on the internet stupid or entitled or whiny, etc... around 1996.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Checking...yepp, still good this show. :)
Couldn't agree more about the theme in this episode. I'm not planning on buying MW3, but mainly because of their subscription model. But I wouldn't call it boycotting, as I feel I should be entitled to change my mind if the game just happens to be that damn good (Which, lets be honest, it wont).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
Great episode Jim, and this is one of the very few times where I've fully agreed with you.

I will say that I'm in the apathy crowd since I'm so tired of hearing that word since I know that some of the people that cry for one hardly ever stick by it and the whole boycott thing will collapse. Jaded is probably closer to what I am to it.

The word 'boycott' should be a powerful word and one that should be taken seriously, but as of late it's being used like the word 'the' and is slowly loosing it's meaning. I'm beginning to wonder if companies just think, 'Oh how cute, look at them. Shouting boycott and not even really meaning it. In a few years I'm sure they're gonna really mean it, and boy are we gonna look foolish!' One day perhaps.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
I do think the Diablo 3 boycott is justified.

Not because of the "it's to bight complaint" people are giving it, which just doesn't make any sense to me, but the in game store that is run by the players, uses REAL money (I.E. letting anybody buy power at the start of the game if they want it, and anybody could have their items not sold because somebody else made the price of their same item one cent cheaper), the lack of modability, the always on DRM even in single player, and the complete disregard for it's potential for Esports with the game's PvP on the part of Blizzard.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The only thing I would add is that I'm sick of people using the word boycott when they had no intention of buying the game at all. Example "I'm boycotting modern warfare 3, CoD sucks,m BF3 ALL THE WAY!!!1!"
Boycotting is wanting a good but choosing not to buy it because you have some moral dilemma with how it was produced or the company's practices. It isn't boycotting something when you don't like or want the game, and the escapist in particular seems to be notorious for using it in this fashion that in almost every other boycott thread I have to facepalm and point it out.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
intheweeds said:
Genixma said:
When i watched I heard the whole thing as a veiled speech about that. It may or may not be, but it is certainly relevant to that discussion. Notice how the most vocal Escapist BOYCOTT callers are still here signing in everyday just to continue posting about it.
It wasn't until the episode was finished that I realized the timing and worried people would think it was about that. I can only assure people it's not.

Also, thanks for the kind remarks. As much as I got off on the wrong foot with the community, I am glad that the show has become rather well received. <3

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
You sir, have raised a valid point in gaming. THIS is a good show. It was smart, snark, and well written. Thank you.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
How about we start calling those kinds of histrionic outburst over minor issues something else like, say, FanBoycotts?
Let us all boycott Fanboycotts!

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
intheweeds said:
Genixma said:
It wasn't until the episode was finished that I realized the timing and worried people would think it was about that. I can only assure people it's not.

Also, thanks for the kind remarks. As much as I got off on the wrong foot with the community, I am glad that the show has become rather well received. <3
I think everyone (at least should) understand that these videos have more planning involved than can be done in such a short time frame. This couldn't possible have been done in regards to the EC fiasco. I knew it wasn't supposed to be about that, for the record. I'm pretty sure I only heard it that way because I'm sore about the people who feel the need to continue the argument on this site for this long, perhaps others are as well.

Regarding the opinions people have about your style: Please don't drop your style. I was actually disappointed there wasn't more of it in this one. I, for one, understand and really like the 'dictator' parody you have going on. It makes perfect sense to me when you put it against the many posts I have seen by viewers on this site about every video creators 'preachy' attitude, completely missing that they are opinion pieces. If they think all video creators are dictators telling them what to think, then give 'em what they want. It's your thing and I would hate to see it go. It's really too bad people seem to miss the point, but don't dumb it down just for them.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Boycott something that needs to be boycotted.

Like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, or atleast get it preowned.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Another stunning rant from the internet's premier cool guy. And while I don't think Glen Beck is all that extreme at all in his arguments, I very much agree with Jim Sterling's stance on boycotts.

Other words that the internet has devalued to the point of being worth less than Austrian currency during the height of post-WWI hyper-inflation:
-Ironic
-Literally
-Any Racial Epitaphs

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Im not going to read your response since this was not directed at you for you, or other wise anything to do with you. All I said was the reasons for the boycott which were legitimate. this was not an argument as this was not a matter of opinion.
So it's a matter of fact that the reasons for the L4D2 boycott were legitimate? Hardly.

From what I remember of the boycott, the major complaints were that their had been the promise of updates to the original game, and people assumed that this would interfere with that. This was by far the biggest complaint, and was also demonstrably wrong since L4D has seen updates since L4D2 was released.

According to Wikipedia, some people apparently complained about the characters and aesthetic in the original trailer that was shown, and that the game was going to be released about a year after the original. And while I would agree that not liking those may be a legitimate reason to not buy the game if you're a dick with an over developed sense of entitlement, it's not a legitimate reason to organize a boycott.

About the closest thing to a rational argument I've seen frankly was that releasing the sequel could fracture the community between the first and second games, but frankly, that would be the case with just about any sequel to a popular and widely played game.

So seriously, get over yourself. The boycott was at best some fans complaining about things that were either never an issue in the first place, or which could happen any time a company releases a sequel. I agree with Uber Waddles: you are wrong on this one. L4D2 made big improvements over the first, and saying it could have just been released as an update is silly.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it and have to agree that the videos seem to be improving. Well though out and well argued points on this one. I'm all for people voting with their wallet but agree that crying foul at every little thing and dismissing those who choose not to buy something outright tends to hurt the cause when legitimate boycott's arise.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
shadowmagus said:
Great show Jim. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm in the apathy camp. It seems like every forum I go to is people boycotting one thing or another. I'm to the point where I honestly don't give a shit, and if there is something that I may not agree with. I won't buy it, but because I don't want to not because of some internet boycott that generally has about as much steam behind it as a toy locomotive.
I'm in the same camp as you Shadowmagus, everywhere I turn people are just boycotting stuff all the time now and it's gotten to the point where I've just stopped caring. Honestly, I had to just take a day off from the Escapist when I heard the reason behind the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott. If I was to post my feelings about the boycotters then and there my ass would have been banned in a heartbeat. It's pretty much how Jim summed it up, you don't like it, then don't bloody buy it or if you actually do boycott something, don't buckle under at the last second!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:

Not because of the "it's to bight complaint" people are giving it, which just doesn't make any sense to me, but the in game store that is run by the players, uses REAL money (I.E. letting anybody buy power at the start of the game if they want it, and anybody could have their items not sold because somebody else made the price of their same item one cent cheaper), the lack of modability, the always on DRM even in single player, and the complete disregard for it's potential for Esports with the game's PvP on the part of Blizzard.
I don't think a full-blown boycott is justified in this case. Whoever is annoyed by any of this can simply not buy the game. To me most of the points made aren't very important:

1 - Real money AH: With D2 and WoW, Blizzard has fought a losing battle about gold sellers. Note that most gold sellers also sell power, i.e. "power leveling". Black-market gold selling is bad because it creates an incentive for account hacking, which happens a lot in WoW. With D3 Blizzard has taken the risky, but very worthwile road of regulating the market instead of trying to ban it.

2 - Mods: I don't recall ever hearing about or using a mod in either Diablo or D2. I don't think modding was very prominent in the Diablo series as it is in other series (like Starcraft for example). It's a somewhat valid complaint for some people, but something most players won't miss and won't even notice.

3 - Permanent internet connection requirement - This I think is a very valid complaint, but I don't think that it, by itself, warrants a boycott. Don't like the idea, don't buy it. I know some people who would like to play D3 may have problems because of their connection (however, I can't believe this is the case for most people; I live in a developing country and even here almost everyone has a stable internet connection at home).

4 - Esport: I don't think Blizzard has ever considered D3 as an esport game. I remember they specifically saying that PvP won't be balanced, because it's not that kind of game. It's a design decision, it's their call, so it's a very bad reason for thinking about boycotts.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Faux Furry said:
How about we start calling those kinds of histrionic outburst over minor issues something else like, say, FanBoycotts?
Let us all boycott Fanboycotts!
I like this idea, it'd make it easier to point out when people are being foolish although I think it could easily add up like the word boycott, troll, hipster, and getting used anytime someone has a negative opinion.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
xsoenx said:
i am Boycotting EA because i can´t take there overpriced and massive packs of DLC, and the Online pass, and shutting down servers, and shutting down companies after 1 bland game.
and the way i do this is that i never pay for something they made directly. so i rent or buy used there games if i wanna try them and i don´t touch there DLC anymore unless it is free
First on the DLC. Activision set that trend in motion with MW. What? 3 maps for 1/4th the price of the game? If you bought that, you contributed to that problem. At least EA's DLC has content for the price.

Shutting down servers. They only do them for really, quite old games where the costs of keeping them running isn't worth it, as the player base is infinitesimally small.

Online Pass...oh geeze. I will never see this as a viable reason to boycott. Ever. Nobody has ever been able to explain it in an intelligent way, that makes sense. They all go that same, stupid bullshit used car analogy. Where they say it'd be like a used car having the brakes removed. No. Wrong. That'd be like removing your ability to use the left analog stick. It fundamentally ruins the product. Having extra features removed because you wanted to buy a cheaper product out of a combination of impatience and being miserly? I have no problem with that.

If you're buying a game used before it gets a price cut, what are you saving? $5-$10? So if you buy 6-12 games, you've saved enough to buy another one. And if you're buying that many games, you have the money for the new copy. So, no, there really is no argument for Online Pass being evil or out to get you.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I agree, but, as of yet, I have not found anything even remotely worth boycotting.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
You made some good points, and its funny since currently I am boycotting a game. The game is rage. I also feel I have a good reason to boycott it too. They are cutting content out just because someone may buy it used. Devs should never cut content thats just not good on the community. Will I play Rage sure but when I do it will be used just so I can say, fuck you who ever cut the content out. But still enjoy the game. They need to find a better marketing way or else I'll keep doing that.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
The reason the industry ignores the boycott's are because they happen all the time over every little detail thats released before a game is even out and they simply don't work most people don't follow through remember the MW2 boycott where a good 90% of those that signed a petition saying they wouldn't touch the game were still playing it, until a game tanks because it was boycotted I doubt the industry will pay much attention they seem far more open to reasoned discourse people complaining giving examples and asking why X was done. Your not doing anything noticeable by getting even a few thousand sales cut you'd need a good 10 or 20 k before people would really look into it. And from the industry side its understandable you can't cave to every angry post you can't let a vocal minority run the show and ruin the game for the rest of the audience so what do you do you ignore the crazies while trying to sort through it all and find real issues your audience has.

Joe Herbert

Oct 13, 2010
I do not like Always On DRM. I wont buy games with it... So far i haven't. If other people feel the same about this, they can join me in 'not buying it'. I'm not going to write letters. Or scream about it on the internet or cry "boycott!". I honestly think that this is the first time I've mentioned it online. Anyways. Game companies are more worried about my $ than they are about the noise i'm making. So i'll just let that do the talking. My hope that other people will do the same -- without having to organize a boycott -- is probably a little misguided. But hey, i'm optimistic.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
magicmonkeybars said:
Sorry to hear that. You're missing out on some really good games.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
TheyTookOurJobs said:
No. Not quite yet. Many people do however come watch the show, and say in the comments that they thought the show sucked and Jim is an ass. Then they say they will never come see the show again.
I haven't kept track, but I have a feeling they are not being so truthful.
If you see anyone say that kind of thing once, and then come back, I think we as part of the Escapist have the right to hound them for it.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jedi Sasquatch said:
magicmonkeybars said:
Sorry to hear that. You're missing out on some really good games.

mfw valve is one company with many divisions
the tf2 team isnt working on hl2:ep3
so wtf xD

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I decided to give Jimquisition a second chance, after the first two left me distinctly unimpressed.

It's improved a lot.

I'm definitely tuning in from now on.

Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
I've been waiting all morning for this
thanks!
loved the opening btw

EDIT: I lol'd at the Deus Ex trailer footage, forgot to mention that
Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
thanks!
loved the opening btw

Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
keep in mind that we may be in different time zones!
hello there person from apparently far away!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jim Sterling said:
BOYCOTT!

Jim Sterling (AKA the only reason to be alive on a Monday) has come to deliver some more delicious justice from his pantry of righteousness. This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.

Watch Video

sorry,i don't feel the same as you.i find him as a ridiculous parody of everything that is wrong with site.his ego is the main reason i do not watch him.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
pspman45 said:
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
thanks!
loved the opening btw

Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
Sry, i cant brain today, i have the dumb :V

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
Monxerot said:
pspman45 said:
thanks!
loved the opening btw

Morning o_O?
Its 21pm
Sry, i cant brain today, i have the dumb :V
I get that sometimes too

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
This was a great episode Jim. I liked the dig at your persona in the intro and you were right on the money with today's topic.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Wow, people are still surprised to find themselves liking Jim's vids? This happens like every week.

I've always laughed at the idea of gamers boycotting mainly because they never follow through. If I do happen to be against a company, I'll buy a game used so I don't have to worry about the developer or publisher getting any money from it, and I'm not really big on DLC so I don't worry about that factor.

If it is a company I like and have nothing against, I'll buy their game new.

I guess that's kinda like boycotting...

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Brombaq said:
He is totally right about that...
I got so angry when I say all these guys playing mw2 while being in a boycott group -.-
Or the everyone who boycotted Left 4 Dead 2 then bought it anyway like the tools that they are.
I personally don't boycott,I just don't buy games I don't like. Modern Warfare 3? Fuck that game,it'll be the same as the last one and just tell Bobby Kotick that copying and pasting the same thing again and again with one extra bit is a good idea. (Though Guitar Hero already succeeded in that respect)

But that's my opinion and I'm not going to stand in front of my local Gamestop with a sign,screaming and yelling until the store opens up and I go in to buy my copy like everyone else,I'm just going to sit here in my big chair and not buy the game,Bobby Kotick doesn't get 60 bucks,and I get the satisfaction of saying fuck you to Bobby Kotick.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
People who dont like jim for the "egocentric" persona need to lighten up. Its a joke.

Once you look beyond this the points he makes are not only valid but good.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
No,he just saw this topic as important and decided to get that stuff out of the way in the beginning this time. Crazy isn't it?

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Wow, that was a lot of sincerity and directness for Jim... I may actually this Jim more than his persona.

I'm not a boycotter though I do refuse to buy certain games or certain companies (not buying from Gearbox after they made Duke Nukem because I cannot abide by them selling out all the progress gaming has made in the last 12 years to make a quick buck)and I do actually believe there ought to be some form of mass-gamer-protest (a full-scale boycott is calling for too much) over the new DMC team modelling Dante after Edward Cullen; we can't let that festering franchise anywhere near our games when it should never have gotten near a bookshelf.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
I'd love if there were more humor. I just might boycott this if it gets boring. Too many people with a stick in their ass in my opinion.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I hear people throw the boycott term around, without much weight behind it other than as a threat. Sounds to me a lot of the time like a kid whining they didn't get what they wanted so they're going to take their football home so no one can play. Problem is, most of the time in the gaming community, there's a strong majority of other kids with footballs who are ready and willing to play and put up with whatever "problems" might be present.
Truth be told, I am not at all pro-boycotting unless there is a significant value in it. Such as human-rights violations or gross animal testing or something along those lines. Corporations exist to make money, and they tend to do whatever they can to continue to do so. I don't boycott DRM for many reasons (mostly because I was a PC gamer when the registration key first came about and have put up with it to play my games). I've never experienced any real detriment to playing a video game due to DRM, with the exception of Neverwinter Nights 2 (which had to do with a firmware problem on my disc drive), nor have I seen a detriment to actual gameplay. A solid game is a solid game.
Diablo 3's auction house, for example, is not something to get up in arms about. Its not game-breaking, its not mandatory. So whats the big deal? They're offering people a chance to make money on something they do as a hobby, which no other game developer has ever offered in my experience (EVE doesn't count since you can't actually convert it to cash through the parent company). So Blizz takes a % off the take itself. Big fucking deal, its their system. And it prevents people from selling things through other sites.
The entitlist mentality is so backward... people think they are entitled to everything a game developer makes for a certain game just because they paid for it initially. While I do agree that day 1 DLC that is actually contained on the disc is highway robbery, the companies who offer it as part of new copies don't bother me. The used game market is pretty much a way for people to make money off of the game dev's without having to pay the dev's for that copy, and dev's charging a bit on top of the used price to get something back for that copy being transferred to another owner is not a big deal. They actually lost money because you did not buy that game new. If you think otherwise you don't understand the economy. If New/Used Store A buys 20 copies of a game new to sell to the public, then sells 10 copies of that game new on the release date, they then re-order those 10 copies and the publisher makes money off of those transactions. If those 10 sold copies come back to New/Used Store A as trade-ins, and Game Store A repackages them as used and resells them, then they don't order more copies of that game and the publisher does NOT make money off those sales. New/Used Store just profited off of those games and the dev's did NOT receive payment due. So publisher of said game has DLC that is available on New copies but not used copies that costs $10 extra for said used copies. If the buyer of the used game decides he/she wants that content to become available, spends the $10 and thus the publisher recoups a little bit of the money they lost on that used sale. That is NOT a crime in any way shape or form. But they are not making extra money either. In fact, they are taking a loss and mitigating that loss by locking some content (most likely not game-breaking) for new copies. That is business. Have a problem with that? Take it up with New/Used Store A, because its their business practice that has put publishers in that position.
Or buy games new.
Boycott when its feasible and reasonable, but don't boycott because publishers want their well-earned money for something they spent their money on to get to you, the consumer, in the first place. Development and marketing are not cheap.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Coulda sworn he was going to mention the people who tried to boycott the Escapist for dropping Extra Credits.

trebthegamer

Sep 28, 2009
did he ripoff moviebob's intro thing or is this something the Escapist shows do now?
besides that good show.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
That last bit was really my thought on gamer boycotts, is that for all the cries of boycott, none of those involved in them actually have any balls and they always end up abandoning it to go buy what they were boycotting.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
I wasn't keen on this show at first. I still don't dig the insulting the audience part honestly, but I am glad that he's dealing with things I haven't seen on other shows here now. I agree with Jim too, I just wish we could become more organized with it all. I hate the way consumer rights are trashed right now, but I don't see a way to fix it until we unite better.

On that note, I have successfully boycotted Apple products for over a decade now. Between the cult of personality and terrible treatment of its customers (my husband lost all the music he had bought for years when he swapped his I-Pod for an android I guess) I'll never give them my money. Its getting easier and easier to do it too, thank God for Amazon and Android.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Another great episode. This show is really getting better and better. And with Extra Credits now gone, I predict that Jimquisition will eventually replace it.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
This week, we look at the community's growing tendency to boycott, the tendency of others to dismiss consumer action, and the reason why both mentalities are at fault.
Does this apply to Moviebobs Gamestop boycott? Your persona is moviebobs actual personality which I have been finding hilarious. Seems like you're trolling him with your videos.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I liked it, you managed to represent both sides of the argument and make some nice points. Probably my favourite episode so far.
As for the topic at hand, I can't say much more than that I agree completely. Complain all you want, just don't use that word unless you mean it.

Oh, and I'm all for a boycott for Diablo 3 because of their always on DRM, even though I love the auction house idea. This is the title where a boycott will really hurt, plus there's a perfectly legitimate option in torchlight 2. This title, as John Carmack has put it, will be the definitive make it or break it point for always on DRM, and as someone with a really schizophrenic internet connection, I'm very much against it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I wouldn't really yell boycott if i find a problem with a game and don't like the idea or changes made to a game i'll simply just not buy said game and instead buy something else that appeals to my fancy.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Hmmm... Good episode Jim, you made a big step from your first videos here. Keep up the good work.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
I didn't like your stuff at first jim, but I have to agree with you on this. Most boycotters are stupid and just want to whine while having their game. I said I refused to buy any thing using online pass codes and the like and I aim to stick to it no matter how many games I want use it. I will go without games if I have to/

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
tautologico said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

I don't think a full-blown boycott is justified in this case. Whoever is annoyed by any of this can simply not buy the game. To me most of the points made aren't very important:

1 - Real money AH: With D2 and WoW, Blizzard has fought a losing battle about gold sellers. Note that most gold sellers also sell power, i.e. "power leveling". Black-market gold selling is bad because it creates an incentive for account hacking, which happens a lot in WoW. With D3 Blizzard has taken the risky, but very worthwile road of regulating the market instead of trying to ban it.

2 - Mods: I don't recall ever hearing about or using a mod in either Diablo or D2. I don't think modding was very prominent in the Diablo series as it is in other series (like Starcraft for example). It's a somewhat valid complaint for some people, but something most players won't miss and won't even notice.

3 - Permanent internet connection requirement - This I think is a very valid complaint, but I don't think that it, by itself, warrants a boycott. Don't like the idea, don't buy it. I know some people who would like to play D3 may have problems because of their connection (however, I can't believe this is the case for most people; I live in a developing country and even here almost everyone has a stable internet connection at home).

4 - Esport: I don't think Blizzard has ever considered D3 as an esport game. I remember they specifically saying that PvP won't be balanced, because it's not that kind of game. It's a design decision, it's their call, so it's a very bad reason for thinking about boycotts.
1. -The store also has a charge to putting up items on the store, and it only stays up on the store for a limited time. The undercharging by a cent I mentioned earlier can lose YOU money if it keeps happening. You also never addressed the "buying of power" complaint.

2. Mods were a pretty big bit of Diablo 2's longgesvity. Most of them were just adding new enemies, items, weapons, etc. While none reached the level of DOTA popularity, people kept coming back because they could always find new content, such as the "Diary of the Dark Wanderer" mod.

3. Still, you cannot bring the game onto a plane, on a long bus ride, when the power is out if you have a and play it on a laptop. Even EA has stepped back from DRM, it looked like DRM would just die completely, since it been proven completely ineffective at preventing piracy. Hell, it pushed a few people to piracy just to avoid the DRM. However, if somebody as big as Blizzard gets away with it, everybody will just be glad to do it again.

4. The PLAYERS thought it might be a good E-sports game, and Blizzard just shut them down.

cfehunter

Oct 5, 2010
Valid points.
I had no idea people were so agitated by the new sonic games physics being off. It's a sonic game, when have they ever been realistic?

I'm still not buying Diablo III though. As you said in your video, issues where publisher control comes before consumer convenience are the issues we should take a stand against.
Despite how Blizzard sugar coat it, if it were really just about giving us extra features they could easily make them optional, no this is about DRM.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
lockecole21 said:
Jim Sterling said:
BOYCOTT!

Watch Video

sorry,i don't feel the same as you.i find him as a ridiculous parody of everything that is wrong with site.his ego is the main reason i do not watch him.
What an odd place to have a comment like that, or were you looking to the comments to see what this ep was about? The use of the the BOYCOTT in all caps will draw some people who might not have checked Jim out otherwise.

OT: Total agreement for me on boycotting, I wonder if anyone in the boycotting group felt at least a little embarrassed or ashamed when buying/playing the very game they were up-in-arms about.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I think this became an issue because we have such a limited choice of products. Our only choice is to play the games we get served or boycot them. If we had more variety of games we could choose to support the developers we like. That would be a more enjoyable form of consumer influence. The current situation happens in many markets when competition gets limited.

Instead of thinking about boycots all the time, it may help to support alternative developers that we do like.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
xsoenx said:
This. I miss Bioware's games and I'm going to really hate not being able to play the new Star Wars MMO but EA embodies everything wrong with publishers and I'll walk over hot coals before I give them a dime of my money. If more people did this then they'd lose money and change their practices. Unfortunately, everyone bitches but no one wants to go without. A single dollar speaks louder than a thousand forum posts. EA has made it CRYSTAL clear that they don't care what you think as long as they're still making money.

Mangod said:
TheyTookOurJobs said:
There's been some (translation: a lot). And guess what? None of them have accomplished anything either ;)
That's because it wasn't actual rage. It was just fashion hating. Meaning, it was fashionable to hate it. All the cool people were hating it so I will to so I'll fit in. There's a LOT of this going around.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
geru45gyik said:
"We get people bitching because fallout 3 wasn't exactly like fallout" You mean good ?
Fallout and Fallout 2 were decent games, but they were not games that could appeal to a mass market. Bethesda fixed that by making the game the way it was, and as is, it's still a damn good game and even though you might not like it, pretty much everyone else has voted to disagree with you.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Interesting episode and I fully agree with you Jim.

People who decide to boycott should stick to their guns and not give in.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
The only thing I personally BOYCOTT is anything with the Persistent Online Connection for single player games.

Anything else I just don't use that word for, its too powerful.

Instead of declaring a boycott, warn other people about practices and ask them if they really want to give money to a publisher who either treats developers or its customers badly. Bad news travels faster than the word boycott.

If the message gets across to consumers that we are only promoting this sort of practice by buying games, then in time people will stop buying games from a target company and then it will become profitable to consider their customers.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
As much as I agree with Jim, I find him extremely annoying. His way of presenting his opinion is just annoying as hell. It doesn't seem professional. It's too emotional and not very well thought out. He needs more work.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I fully agree with this episode you need to stick with boycotting if you are going to.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I didn't know there was a Sonic boycott. I haven't heard any bitching to be honest. It wasn't that bad, but the controls were too sluggish, that's my only gripe.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Oh Jim how I wish things were so simple. The puerile masses have short attention spans, and like the MW2 failure, I see boycotting as more of a meme than anything to be taken seriously. People are too self-serving to mean anything more than to stamp their feat as loud as possible when they dislike something, which is why we see "lolboikawtz" everywhere, by the same people that then buy a game and ***** about why they hated it so much later. Simpletons and manchild types do love their hyperbole.

They're calling for a boycott on RAGE, think it'll go anywhere? I don't. I think it'll be as hot item and Epic Games will feel completely vindicated in the process.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
So, would boycotting Capcom because of their decision not to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 be valid or not?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I started to refuse to buy Ubisoft games when they put in their new online DRM, and so far I'm holding strong. Gonna be hard when the latest Assassin's Creed comes out, but I'm sticking do it. That's the type of consumer abuse I think deserves the use of the word.

Color schemes you don't like, that's not really a time to use the word boycott.

Good video this week, some very insightful points.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Fullmetalfox said:
The reason why we see so much whining over trivial things is because gamers are just people at the end of the day, and people are stupid. This is why there are people who watch really TV, who are vegetarian and even people who blamed the recent UK riots on videogames.
For that reason, I don't see this problem going away this time soon, its not like we can ban stupid people off the internet. best we can do is laugh at them until we are able to detect the potential for idiocy in the fetus and mandate abortions for such fetuses by law.
Were you trying to be silly just now cause that last sentence sounded really dumb. Intelligence and wisdom are gained through a myriad of ways making such things a matter of perspective than a true pinpointable thing.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Plazmatic said:
So it's a matter of fact that the reasons for the L4D2 boycott were legitimate? Hardly.

From what I remember of the boycott, the major complaints were that their had been the promise of updates to the original game, and people assumed that this would interfere with that. This was by far the biggest complaint, and was also demonstrably wrong since L4D has seen updates since L4D2 was released.

According to Wikipedia, some people apparently complained about the characters and aesthetic in the original trailer that was shown, and that the game was going to be released about a year after the original. And while I would agree that not liking those may be a legitimate reason to not buy the game if you're a dick with an over developed sense of entitlement, it's not a legitimate reason to organize a boycott.

About the closest thing to a rational argument I've seen frankly was that releasing the sequel could fracture the community between the first and second games, but frankly, that would be the case with just about any sequel to a popular and widely played game.

So seriously, get over yourself. The boycott was at best some fans complaining about things that were either never an issue in the first place, or which could happen any time a company releases a sequel. I agree with Uber Waddles: you are wrong on this one. L4D2 made big improvements over the first, and saying it could have just been released as an update is silly.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it and have to agree that the videos seem to be improving. Well though out and well argued points on this one. I'm all for people voting with their wallet but agree that crying foul at every little thing and dismissing those who choose not to buy something outright tends to hurt the cause when legitimate boycott's arise.
again, I have to repeat, I am not going to read your response as this was not directed at you for you, or other wise anything to do with you. All I said was the reasons for the boycott which were legitimate. this was not an argument as this was not a matter of opinion.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
veloper said:
That handful of gamers yelling boycott and actually going through with it (unlike most), never make any difference.
They do make a difference. They tell both the community and the developers that gamers are a bunch of self righteous whiners who "boycott" things and cave in anyway.

This leads to developers getting more and more cocky because they know we'll play it anyway. So the threat of boycott leaves them thinking "uhhh so?".

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Great video and accurate too. I'm am probably in the second group. I have become so bored of any announcement from big publishers immediately being hated on just because it's trendy to hate them, we see this a lot with Blizzard announcements on this site. Then those people almost definitely will go and buy that game :p.

We seem so fast to be hateful and condescending to any decision made (for example the rumoured WoW expansion)that we ignore the facts and take our personal view as the only viable opinion. The good points on the POSSIBLE expansion said why would we have epic battles with the Lich King and Deathwing only to go and help some poor ickle pandas? The bad ones said in a nut shell "it's a crap game, so this expansion will be crap," looking at the figures, while their player base is dwindling it is still huge, so there must be something good about this game. Any way the main point I was trying to make was lets be more constructive and also not be afraid to look at the positive rather than HATE HATE HATE!!!

Let's stick to the same company, Blizzard. There was interesting debate about their real money auction house the I eagerly read (again some arrogance but I over looked it). I think that's what we should aim for... Sadly my opinion on this is that the system will need to be put in the real world before we can see whether or not it is a good or bad idea, time will tell on this.

Something I do agree with the "Boycotters" on is the always having to be online for Diabalo III. Why shouldn't honest people get to play the game just because they don't have or have a reliable internet connection, what if I wanted to play Diablo III on holiday? Blizzard say "tough, too much effort". Their balance with SCII was perfect, you could play the game offline, but if you played online, you got so much more! (achievements, cross game chats, league ladders)... Why can't they do this for Diablo? However, and this is where I am very bad and weak willed, I will not boycott the game because it does not directly affect me. It is hard to deny yourself something you know will bring you a lot of pleasure to help make this statement. It's selfish I know, but gaming is an entertainment industry and I want my entertainment when I want it. I think I would find it easier to resist these games if I felt I had a strong bond to the gaming community, which atm I lack.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
See, this is what this show should be. The 'look at me i'm being self-aggrandising' shtick stopped being funny after the fifth episode, and now it's just an annoying waste of time in between the thoughtful and insightful comments. Sterling does have many interesting things to say, but i dont know why he insists on wasting both his and our time and effort by padding his show with all this meaningless BS we end up just ignoring.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Icehearted said:
They're calling for a boycott on RAGE, think it'll go anywhere? I don't. I think it'll be as hot item and Epic Games will feel completely vindicated in the process.
Epic Games?

Isn't Rage being developed by Id and published by Bethesda? Where do Epic come into it?

superllama

Sep 5, 2010
Boycott Toejam and Earl (on the protesters sign)? Who in the right mind would do that! Plus, whats there to protest?

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
SillyBear said:
veloper said:
They do make a difference. They tell both the community and the developers that gamers are a bunch of self righteous whiners who "boycott" things and cave in anyway.

This leads to developers getting more and more cocky because they know we'll play it anyway. So the threat of boycott leaves them thinking "uhhh so?".
Spot on.
Point being its a damn game, which has zero effect on society. Most find it hard to care that much about a bunch of pixels on a screen. AND if you do care that much you propably have way too much free time on your hands.
Buy it or don't buy it, the devs don't give a crap. They are more worried about you downloading cracked copies of the game than a bunch of self important whiners who break down after one of their friends buys the game.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:

You could buy used for console games and that would effectively be a boycott for the publisher. Don't buy DLC though.
Here's the thing though, used game sales don't put any money in the developer's pocket, but they're still kept track of. A used game purchase is one more number on the mountain of "how many people have bought this game," and a true Boycott would not even want to give the developers that.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Just for the record, the physics in Sonic 4 were terrible which is why I didn't buy it. If others want to buy it, though, then that's ok. I agree that it would be stupid to boycott over something which is mostly a preference or opinion. When it comes to things that will inconvience everyone, however, then it's worth doing. Like you say though, Jim, most people won't stick to the boycott which then makes it completely meaningless.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Truly, excellent.

Nice to see someone saying what I occasionally think. I cannot say I am particularly wedded to gamer culture (I suspect that I am aging out of it really) but in this, you are right. Stop devaluing our means of civil protest.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Yay, it's important issue Jimquisition again, I love these. + I'd love to boycott BT3 because it's not on steam, but I really really want it.... So I'll probably buy it at retail, not play it online, and trade it in when I'm done with the campaign. The lost sale my resell will cause, will make EA taste my fury at origin!

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Duskflamer said:
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:

Here's the thing though, used game sales don't put any money in the developer's pocket, but they're still kept track of. A used game purchase is one more number on the mountain of "how many people have bought this game," and a true Boycott would not even want to give the developers that.
I was unaware that used games were added to the total games sold, are you sure because that's makes no sense at all.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:

I was unaware that used games were added to the total games sold, are you sure because that's makes no sense at all.
I'm not entirely sure if it factors into quoted statistics of how many units a game sold over X amount of time, but some people [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13224]at least do keep track of it. Used game sales can be a gauge of how much interest a game continues to generate even after the first week or month or so when sales of new copies peeks, and that can be important information.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Duskflamer said:
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
Crono1973 said:
Duskflamer said:
DJDarque said:

I'm not entirely sure if it factors into quoted statistics of how many units a game sold over X amount of time, but some people [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13224]at least do keep track of it. Used game sales can be a gauge of how much interest a game continues to generate even after the first week or month or so when sales of new copies peeks, and that can be important information.
Stats should be kept to determine how much interest there is a game (how many unique people bought it) but they shouldn't be added to total sales.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Icehearted said:
Epic Games?

Isn't Rage being developed by Id and published by Bethesda? Where do Epic come into it?
You're right. I don't know why I was thinking Epic on that one.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Reminds me of the phrase "A slap in the face". I've read it so often I just go into a giggle fit shouting out "A SLAP IN THE FACE!" with comedic anger when someone uses it and the effect the person wanted in their post is completely ruined.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Yelling boycott or indeed laughing at it doesn't bother me. What bothers me, as Jim touched on, is how many people fold after they do cry boycott. Remember the two leaders of the L4D2 boycott group who were invited to Valve HQ to play the game? Remember how they immediately dropped their boycott? Ridiculous. There argument wasn't even based on whether the game was good or not it was about how L4D wasn't going to be getting the support that was promised. If you're going to lead a boycott group at least have the fucking intelligence to know why you're doing it. Also if you don't have the balls to stick to your guns you should know that you shouldn't lead anything.

Modern Warfare 2 was another shameful example, mostly because I boycotted it myself. I hated the price rise, the reduced single player campaign, the reduced multiplayer functionality and the lack of dedicated servers. That, I feel, is a legitimate reason to be pissed off. So I didn't buy it. I haven't bought it. I didn't buy Black Ops either and I wont buy the next one. It was satisfying to know that I wasn't alone but really my reasons were personal; I didn't feel it was worth my money. Still don't seeing as it's $90 on Steam.

But when all those people who were annoyed as I was lined up on release day and pre-ordered it to record breaking levels... well you have to feel pretty disheartened. Any statement I was trying to make was deminished because people are fucking spineless. As a result Black Ops was shoveled out with the same shit as Modern Warfare 2. And people still ate it up.

If you know you don't have the self control to stop yourself buying a game then don't protest against it. It weakens everyone's argument. Like me, I know I'm going to buy Battlefield 3 even though EA is shoveling Origin at an unwilling public, myself included. I'm voicing my concerns, saying I'm pissed off, but I'm admitting that it's not enough to stop me buying the game. I'm not shouting boycott, I'm not stomping off shouting that "I'm not gonna play now" because I know if I did I'd be full of shit. Don't be full of shit.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
A few things need to be brought up about the L4D2 boycott, Jim.

The idea that L4D2 was boycotted solely over the fact that it was a sequel a year after the first is just plain wrong. Yea there were some people like that, but what most people were upset about, if you actually looked into it, was the fact that they said they were going to take L4D in the same direction as Team Fortress 2, and add extra content over time. There are videos and blogs of them talking about this, and was the entire premise of why most people bought L4D to begin with. They specifically said they were going to add new levels, new guns, new characters, and new monsters over time because they found that doing that keeps the community strong. They were basically saying "oh yea we'll add new content" as they were already working on L4D2 and had no plans to do so. Essentially, they were lying to make their game more attractive to sell more copies.

So, instead of just saying "well we have bigger plans for L4D", they kept saying they were going to put out free DLC, which they only released one very small map, then announced L4D2. Basically the exact opposite of what they said for months and months before and after the release of L4D1. Also, another thing to consider is the fact that L4D1 was a very small game to begin with, and most people felt that the purchase was only justified simply due to the promises of future content.

The other reason is because they said earlier that the TF2 model keeps the community strong, but L4D2 did the exact opposite, and what was once probably the biggest PC gaming community in history quickly dissolved to almost nothingness. L4D2 completely shattered the community and to say it didn't is just being ignorant.

Some people still to this day say the boycott was unsuccessful, which is also false. Valve openly said that the boycotters had "very legitimate complaints" and the game dropped in price very quickly, which means it obviously had problems taking off. Were not seeing a L4D3 anytime soon too, which shows that they're thinking twice about pulling something like that again, and the amount of "were sorry" DLC content they're adding to both L4D and L4D2 only came when the boycott started. Before that point the only DLC we saw (after over a half a year later) was that one very small survivor map (and even announced that was all they had planned until the L4D2 shitstorm came). Now there's probably something like 6 entire levels of DLC (counting the L4D2 DLC).

Anyways, the rest of your video I agree with. Most people don't have the balls to boycott anything, but say they will anyways to grab attention. I'm considering boycotting diablo 3, as I did L4D2, the always online thing just doesn't make any sense and I don't like the idea that if I get disconnected from bnet while playing a hardcore character that I may likely DIE and permanently lose my character, just over some lag that I cant control (which has been confirmed by blizzard). Diablo 3 should have an offline mode, bottomline. And the truth is that a lot of other greedy publishers are frothing at the mouth hoping we'll all just take this DRM and shut up, so that they can continue to pressure us into more control. So the success of Diablo 3 could affect the future of DRM as a whole, which is why i've been thinking so much about boycotting D3.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
I'm really starting to love his "Hey, moron! You're being a moron and here's why" rants

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
Hmm. Except for the obnoxious joke in the beginning, this episode was very interesting. I'm really starting to like the show.

I see it as a less professional, cruder version of Extra Credits from the perspective of a regular gamer, as opposed to a group of people that are part of the industry. And with Extra Credits unfortunately leaving The Escapist, I think this show could fill that hole.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I gotta say I really like the message of this episode, but didn't care for the crude visuals where they really weren't needed. Which tends to be something I have a problem with in so much of gaming videojournalism nowadays. But I suppose that's part of his "signature" style.

If only he would do audio podcasts or just straight-up stick to writing articles...

EDIT:

Pariah164 said:
So, would boycotting Capcom because of their decision not to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 be valid or not?
I would say it depends on how it's done. It's a stupid business practice, to be sure, but there has to be a way to let Capcom know that the boycott is specifically for not localizing AA:I 2, and not for some other reason. In this case, that could be quite difficult, because it is likely that there will not be another Ace Attorney release in the West, period, if this keeps up, and the Ace Attorney games have seen so many releases that it's more than likely fans of the series already own most or all of the previous games. I own all the Western-released games, that's for sure. But if you start boycotting series like Mega Man, Devil May Cry or Marvel vs. Capcom over it, without some specific way of saying "This is for Ace Attorney", Capcom may interpret the lack of sales of those other series as a problem with those series instead of Ace Attorney and get the wrong message. On top of that, those other series may have very high-quality installments come out in the future that deserve consumer support, and it is not fair to those series or their fans that they should have to suffer the effects of low sales figures because fans of Ace Attorney were pissed off.

That's how I see it anyway.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
Toriver said:
I would say it depends on how it's done. It's a stupid business practice, to be sure, but there has to be a way to let Capcom know that the boycott is specifically for not localizing AA:I 2, and not for some other reason. In this case, that could be quite difficult, because it is likely that there will not be another Ace Attorney release in the West, period, if this keeps up, and the Ace Attorney games have seen so many releases that it's more than likely fans of the series already own most or all of the previous games. I own all the Western-released games, that's for sure. But if you start boycotting series like Mega Man, Devil May Cry or Marvel vs. Capcom over it, without some specific way of saying "This is for Ace Attorney", Capcom may interpret the lack of sales of those other series as a problem with those series instead of Ace Attorney and get the wrong message. On top of that, those other series may have very high-quality installments come out in the future that deserve consumer support, and it is not fair to those series or their fans that they should have to suffer the effects of low sales figures because fans of Ace Attorney were pissed off.

That's how I see it anyway.
Good point. We do have a massive thread going at Capcom's official forum asking them over and over to bring it to the States, a petition with over 9,000 signatures... But it feels like Capcom just doesn't care. It feels like trying to talk to a wall. And their whole reasoning is ridiculous, which is the fact that Okamiden outsold the first AAI. Well, I think it's ridiculous, anyway. And then they go and put Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 as some lame form of apology, if not just all out mocking/trolling.

Atlus, on the other hand, is much better when it comes to their fanbase. They actually listen to suggestions, and have brought games over as a result, IIRC.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Jim, you used to be so raged upon by the community for your opinions and general pompous attitude. Nowadays, I, along with many others, I'm sure, actually agree with you on topics.
And honestly, I don't like it as much.
We already have several righteous, agreeable geeks on The Escapist. I want someone that can present the other side of an issue whether I like it or not.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Plazmatic said:
This and turtle rock pretty much disbanding and leaving valve(Save for a very few select people). Was a HUGE turning point for valve as a company, it's where they put the money first and the competitive community in dead last. Consider how many people have left team fortress 2 just because it has been bogged down with so much crap let alone the bad community that came with trading. I loved left 4 dead but our community was just starting to thrive when they decided to launch the sequel and it KILLED us and I mean that in every sense of the word. Our pugbot died, the server operator that was hosting our pug servers completely left. Sponsors started to lose interest, eventually it was completely out of the spotlight and forgotten. The community that was competitive left 4 dead is gone except for a few diehard fans.(Keep in mind this includes the one for left 4 dead 2 as well since it did not get nearly as large a following in that sense.)

Jim I like your videos, I agree with you often but sometimes I feel you do not do enough research(If any).

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Thank you Jim! You have said what a lot of us been thinking for a rather long time.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Plazmatic said:
That's some interesting backstory. Particularly given Valve's face of being modder friendly, and it's rather familiar given Dota 2. Look at something someone else has made, buy the rights to it (not necessarily from the people who made it), and profit.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
So incidentally, was there any talk of boycotting Escapist in those OMG!EXTRACREDITZ IS LEAVING ESCAPIST AND ESCAPIST ARE ABSOLUTE BASTARDS threads?

If there was, you know who you are and why are you reading this? :p

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Give it a rest. Time has shown just how right they were in making a second game. If you check the second game you will normally see only a handful of games in each level being played at any time even with the addition of the maps from the first game, the modded maps, and the Mutation rules that change every week, while when the game came out there were probably hundreds of lobbies going on. The first game is doing worse. It may have been a similar game but L4D's popularity certainly wasnt holding up well when the sequel was released, even with the new maps. I would see more people playing Killing Floor.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
"I love words, and I hate to see them devalued." I've never agreed with anything Jim has said more than this.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I've commented for a long time that gamers tend to act like a bunch of junkies who gripe at their dealer when he increasingly cuts their fixes with baby powder, but still buy it anyway because they want their drugs.

It's not a perfect analogy, but the problem with franchises like "Modern Warfare" is the peer pressure involved, the FPS fanboys don't want to NOT buy the game for fear that they will be the only one and left out of their online peer circle, never to fully recover. To
be honest I think the gaming industry knows this, and exploits it.

As far as content related boycotts go, I have mixed opinions on that, depending on what they happen to be. In my opinion I think it's pretty ridiculous how the game industry uses existing "brands" and franchises to promote what are pretty much entirely new products. When it comes to things as "stupid" as the character redesigns in "Devil May Cry" or what the newer "Fallout" games look like, I think that there is an overall issue there even if any of the individual cases are themselves trivial. Simply put, the whole point of a series *IS* to produce more of the game, the idea of "[name] [numerical installment number]" is to provide more of something to someone who liked earlier games in the series. Improvements and tweaks are one thing, but entire re-designs are something else entirely. If a game company wants to radically alter a specific character or game franchise, then they should instead be launching an entirely new franchise or product line, or at least a spin-off series that is clearly identified as such.

To put things into perspective, I see no real reason why if the developers think Dante is tacky they don't just develop a new franchise with a new character, rather than changing the entire character and saying "well this is Dante, he's the same guy as before, live with it" which insults the fans, and understandably upsets the people who kept a franchise going for god knows how many installments in order to justify those changes (which allegedly are to make the game "even more popular" despite the length of time it's been around). With "Fallout" my opinion is similar, in what way was "Fallout 3" like the previous games in the series? If they wanted to go there why not launch a new franchise? Of course to be fair, it DOES seem Bethesda is trying to do exactly that with "Rage", albiet after the fact. Personally I look at the old "Ultima" games and how when they wanted to go from isometric top down gaming to a first person real-time perspective they launched a spin off series called "Ultima Underworld" specifically for that reason.

At any rate, the point isn't so much to sell any of these specific issues as being some kind of earth shattering development individually, however cumulatively I think they represent a major problem with the industry. If the industry was to knock it off, and actually launch new franchises as opposed to trying to badly modify existing ones and slot off a lot of the fans, I think everyone would benefit, and that shift in attitude would contribute to seeing more innovation because it would shed the remaining chains those franchise connections put on them. As it is a lot of these radically changed franchises wind up involving the worst aspects of both a franchise, and misguided innovation.

In short, I've come to the conclusion on that issue that someone who talks about boycotting say "Devil May Cry" specifically is a bit of a moron, but someone who talks about boycotting games in general developed with the mentality that lead to that... games that are sequels in name only... is ultimatly pushing for quite a bit, but at least has a meaningful and positive goal that would benefit everyone.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
I stopped buying anything Activision made way back when Prototype was released, and so far I haven't knowingly bought any of their games since.

This includes StarCraft 2, which I did borrow from a friend, and from the looks of things Diablo 3 is also gonna be skipped by me cause they're just asking that I give them too much of my freedom to play a game.

So, yeah, there are people out there who do, in fact, stick to their guns when they say they're not gonna take publishers shit, just so you know.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I am at work and so I haven't watched the video yet but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

As a consumer I buy things that have value to me and skip things that don't. I have no interest in sowing, so I have never bought a sowing machine. Since gaming is an interest of mine I do buy PC games.

That being established I don't always have Internet when I want to play a game. I USUALLY do but I don't always. Also, if a company should go with an "always connected" DRM approach what should happen if they go out of business or shut down their servers? That means my $50 or $60 game is so much worthless code.

That is why I don't purchase games that require an always on Internet connection. I don't mind all DRM and accept that publishers need to stop casual copying. I don't even mind the online passes for gamers buying used. My one sticking point is always on internet requirement and subsequent lack of LAN as well. I don't sign onto boycotts or spam forums telling everyone how I won't be buying the game, I just don't buy it.

This means I miss out a game or two that I am interested in but so be it. As long as there are great developers out there like Runic and others who still allow offline play, LAN play, etc. then I'll have enough content to keep me happy. What do I do if all the publishers start shipping their games as requiring a constant internet connection to play? On that day I guess I'll have a tough choice to make.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Much better video - valid points, well made, without unnecessarily offensive self-aggrandisement.

Well done.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
I'm boycotting Diablo 3 and any other game with always-on DRM. Don't give a shit if anybody else does it, but they're not getting my money. And good point about Fallout there. Story was better in olden times, but the engine killed it.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Mr Stirling, you spoke a lot of sense this time. This pleases me. :)

But the trouble with Boycotts is that they nearly ALWAYS fall flat on their faces. Not just because they were launched for the silliest of reasons. But the fact that people are fickle and forgetful at best and hypocritical at worst.

Take the MW2 boycott for example. Most of the boycotters fell from grace because any CoD game is advertised and raved about like it's the second coming of Christ. (Pass the Kleenex! *giggles*) CoD games have an enormous social impact upon gamers, and to try resisting it is pretty hard even at the best of times.

But I have to reiterate your previous points that folks who don't boycott should be more willing to boycott stuff. But those who do boycott should be thinking about whatever it is they are boycotting and they should be asking themselves if they are taking the correct course of action. After all, boycotting for silly reasons only serves to weaken further boycotts for ALL games in the future.

Good show, sir!

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
This episode actually made me watch all previous episodes, because I just saw "Metacritic is not the problem" and simply thought that no one would be stupid enough to actually blame metacritic for their senseless users.

But yeah the episode, among others, speak very true, its annoying if you fight for something and "vote with your time and wallet" and than someone shouts about boycott and after a week he forgot everything and everything is happy again, it makes me so sick.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I've never boycotted a game/series/whatever, I just avoid giving them any of my cash. I tend to buy pre-owned stuff anyway, or go the free version of any games/websites I can.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
Don't know if it has been mentioned thus far, but half of a boycott is not fucking downloading it off some fucking torrent site.

It takes away all meaning from the message trying to be sent. Essentially changing "We won't give you our money because we are agaisnt your business ethics!" to "I want free shit and everything i have said is a smokescreen for it!"

It's like saying you are boycotting McDonalds.... While eating it every time your buddy offers to take you out for a bite. All your moral outrage looks like nothing more then a bullshit smokescreen so your friend will always have to pay for it.

Though i suppose more often that not that is exactly the case...

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I've always had trouble with Jim's delivery - his tendency to be overly condescending and irritating has made him difficult to watch; even when I agree with him I've wanted to punch him in the face for being an annoying twat. I'm well aware that the substance of an argument should always take precedence, but there is something to be said for delivery.

This episode, however, is the first Jimquisition I've watched to completion and enjoyed. A well constructed argument with excellent delivery. Jim said something that has been on my mind for years - that game developers and publishers only engage in shitty business practices because they know that their consumer base is, for the most part, made up of weak-willed overgrown children, and thus they'll effectively get away with it. It's why we didn't get dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2. It's why Diablo 3 will be always online. It's why Battlefield 3 won't have mod tools. It's also why Nintendo said "no" in response to Operation Rainfall's reasonable requests (because they secretly know that any serious attempt to boycott Nintendo will fail catastrophically). The dick moves of developers and publishers are getting bigger and bolder, and the orifices of most consumers have simply become more accommodating, as opposed to the more correct response of said consumers screaming "GET THAT FUCKING DICK AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!"

gunmun

Sep 11, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
BOYCOTT!

Watch Video
Hey Jim, what would you say to a boycott of Capcom's upcoming Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 to show them (and hopefully other fighting game companies) that in the age of DLC and patches, re-releasing a game with minimal extra features (what their offering is 12 more characters a spectator mode and some balancing tweeks) is annoying and ultimately pointless

Kirb Zero

Jun 2, 2011
Finally! Unlike Jim's last video of difficulty, Jim actually presented both sides of the argument, something he does so unbelievably rare that that alone is a hoopla. He should know that the Sonic 4 complaints extend far beyond cosmetics and physics and go as far as level design (which was still lacking in the end product, but could have been MUCH worse without the boycott).

I mean, Jim's difficulty video made it seem so cut-and-dry that a game can only have "real" or "artifcial" difficulty because Heaven forbid a game can do both (Devil May Cry, Megaman ironically given that he used it as a counterexample). It was so biased that I thought to end Jimquisition viewing right there. Hopefully, he continues to this more open minded approach and does a bit more homework first in future videos. The videos are rather niche already, no need to alienate people more with blatant bias, right?

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, this was almost like an Extra Credits episode.
And I'm not even sure what that means >_>

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The closest company I have to boycotting right now is Capcom because they aren't releasing AAI2.

But it's not really a boycott because A. They're not releasing any games I really want anyway, and B. I am gonna buy UMvC3 because of Phoenix Wright.

So yeah...that's the closest I've got to a boycott, and it's really not lol

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
at this moment i'm in a argument about ultimate marvel vs capcom 3. i find the fact that is released so shortly after the original and the fact that owners of the original are getting nothing plain wrong. my friends have for some reason the idea that i want to boycott the game for those reason. i don't. i just won't support it by buying it in the store, but being a fan of the gerne, i probably will buy it second-handed. am i a hypocrite because of that? maybe.

when it was announced, i thought about to "do" something. but i find boycotting just too much. i already know it will be released either way and i don't have a problem with that, but i do have a problem how it is handled.

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
Wow. This video was exceptional. Bravo to you Mr. Sterling, a good way to put your two cents on all this boycotting business.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
I watched a couple of Jimquisitions a while back and I wasn't impressed. This however was fucking spot on. =) Sums up my opinion on the matter nicely. If you're going to boycott at least make it over something worth while rather than whether you can wear clothing with your armour or not (looking at you Morrowind fans >_>).

I found the jab at the MW2 boycotters to be particularly good. =p

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Wow.... I'm shocked... That was actually really well put Jim and not only that you managed to get through the entire thing without coming across like an arrogant tool with a vastly overinfalted ego (well except the little bit at the beginning though at least you had the basic decency to do that in a manner that came across as ironic rather than just nauseating).

Seriously, when you hold off from that I actually find alot of your pieces on here quite interesting and agree with alot of what you say and in this case I think you really have hit the nail squarely on the head.

So yeah, more of this please and less of the 'thank god for me, I'm so great' stuff. It's just not at all funny and ruins otherwise interesting and funny rants on the state of the industry!

Locutus9956

Nov 11, 2009
Did you say you would boycott it beforehand though? Thats the thing Jim is trying to point out here, 'boycotting' something is a big deal (at least it should be). If you dont agree with what the companies done and complain about it but buy it anyway to play with your mates, thats a LITTLE hypocritical but its a far cry from saying 'Im boycotting this game' and THEN buying it ;)

phoeniciansailor

Aug 23, 2011
I'm a few weeks late to the party, but excellent "Boycott" video. I wish I had watched it sooner, it might have helped me more quickly clarify my own thoughts on the issue. Around the time this video came out I started putting together a web site for folks who have decided not to buy Diablo 3. I wanted something where people could pledge publicly to not buy the game, with the understanding that I would check in with them once a month or so to see if they have stuck to their guns. As people join or drop out, the number of protesters are updated in real time. It's an experiment to see just how strongly people feel about the always-connected single-player games, the lack of mods, the lack of LAN-play, etc., and whether we're all talk or not. Personally, I think that it will be easier and more meaningful to take a stand together. Part of the problem with "personal boycotts" is feeling like you're on your own. You have no way of judging the impact you're making. It's realistic to expect that Blizzard wouldn't notice just one person in isolation "voting with their wallet". But they can't help but notice a bunch of us doing so publicly, and re-committing to our pledge month after month. Anyhow, the site's only just been launched, but I'd still encourage you to check it out :

http://www.nodiablo.com

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I'd love Australian gamers to boycott due to unfair prices (Call of Duty $100USD) but wouldn't know where to start and I'm worried I'd look like a tool.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I thought it was funny when he said something along the lines of "people are boycotting Diablo 3 because it's too bright", which is actually one of the contributing reasons (along with the strangely character-driven storyline and lack of atmospheric omnipresent music) that Diablo 3 lacks the dark atmosphere that made Diablo what it was.

Not saying I'm going to boycott the game because of it, but writing off things that sound stupid at first because you aren't addressing the deeper reasons is one of the reasons people are so damn unreasonable...

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
Kagim said:
Don't know if it has been mentioned thus far, but half of a boycott is not fucking downloading it off some fucking torrent site.

It takes away all meaning from the message trying to be sent. Essentially changing "We won't give you our money because we are agaisnt your business ethics!" to "I want free shit and everything i have said is a smokescreen for it!"

It's like saying you are boycotting McDonalds.... While eating it every time your buddy offers to take you out for a bite. All your moral outrage looks like nothing more then a bullshit smokescreen so your friend will always have to pay for it.

Though i suppose more often that not that is exactly the case...
Yeah, that's completely stupid. My not buying the game only costs money in the lack of a sale--getting it online does not mean another copy is purchased, and so I'm not making anyone else but the company pay for the loss.

In fact, when it comes to online content, one of the best boycotts you can do is prevent the company from getting money from you while still taxing their servers and taking that bandwidth.