Jimquisition: Buyer Beware

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The real question is why, and what do we do about it? Is increased representation of women something the game industry should enforce internally, or should it occur organically as a response to new-found demand?[/quote]

Except new-found demand is being ignored, so there's an interesting catch-22 going on. If the industry was in a position where it would self-enforce, it wouldn't have to.

(similarly to how there are now gobs of movies pandering to squishy "young adults" because Twilight make megabucks)
And movies aimed at tween girls are, according to fans, the media, and the industry itself, a sign of the apocalypse. Good to know that gaming isn't the only community that loses its head over the concept of girls sharing their toys.

Because it's beyond the scope of what she established? You just pulled a re-skinned creationism argument. "Evolution doesn't answer how life originated!" Errr...Okay?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Except new-found demand is being ignored, so there's an interesting catch-22 going on. If the industry was in a position where it would self-enforce, it wouldn't have to.

And movies aimed at tween girls are, according to fans, the media, and the industry itself, a sign of the apocalypse. Good to know that gaming isn't the only community that loses its head over the concept of girls sharing their toys.
I wouldn't say it's being completely ignored...

(similarly to how there are now gobs of movies pandering to squishy "young adults" because Twilight make megabucks)
...Given that^.
And for all of those decrying the recent trend of "tweensploitation" (or "young-adult" depending on who you ask) as the sign of the film apocalypse, there are still professional studios aiming to cash in on the female demographic.

Of course, it's being handled via exploitation with very little "real" effort, because whenever Hollywood latches onto something, they flounder looking for the magic script for their hacks to replicate over and over again.

(Like Transformers. It's been critically ravaged repeatedly for the same things, but it makes so much money that Ehryn Kruger gets to keep writing it.)

Even Twilight, wretched as it is as a film series, was not produced by random nobodies. It had Hollywood grade production talent and even a few GOOD actors behind it.
(though I'd kill to see a Troma version of Twilight, just because it'd be fucking surreal)

Because it's beyond the scope of what she established? You just pulled a re-skinned creationism argument. "Evolution doesn't answer how life originated!" Errr...Okay?
I'm guessing this is part of another post.
Because I don't know what you're referring to here.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
veloper said:
Mainstream game journalism is advertisement.
Then it's not journalism. That's a contradiction.
It's still journalism, only bad journalism.
Doesn't matter what we call it though.

It's advertisement. It's allowed. It's not unique to the game industry either.
Please point me to other cases where a content creator is allowed to run the marketplace. I'm not sure you can even find one in games, let alone other media.
I've got something even better for you that is even in line with your previous car analogy: take car journalism.
Now there's an industry where the media depends completely on the vendor. Makes mainstream game journalism look above board by comparison. Also consider that the unhealthy relationship between the car industry and the journalists has lasted longer than any of us here have been playing videogames. It's not simply going to go away just because it's bad.

It means that Jim railing against these issues is futile, changes nothing, and the only useful message on the subject is buyer beware.
"Buyer Beware" is futile. In this context, it's ultimately a cop-out.
Every consumer who finally pulls his head out of the sand and begins to recognize the problem for what it is, would have made it worth it.

Jim is sending exactly the wrong message, when he says we shouldn't blame the consumer for this. The industry will only change if the audience change their behaviour. If enough people keep falling for crap, nothing will change.

Jim should have put the blame squarely on us and emphasized this in his video. It would not only have been much more amusing that way, trolling the Escapist, it would also have been more educational.

Promoting self-blame for buying into the misinformation is good, because such introspection is the starting point of change. Blaming the other party with their opposing interests, never works and can only be counter-productive.

So the game that mr. consumer pre-ordered turns out to terrible? He should have done better research then.
Some people need to recognize the shit for what is and look for other, more reliable sources.
Buyer beware clearly needs to be repeated more often.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
I wouldn't say it's being completely ignored...
And we're down to word games already.

And for all of those decrying the recent trend of "tweensploitation" (or "young-adult" depending on who you ask) as the sign of the film apocalypse, there are still professional studios aiming to cash in on the female demographic.
And a small chunk of films is both used as tokenism and a sign of the apocalypse. Funny how it comes from both ends, innit?

I'm guessing this is part of another post.
Because I don't know what you're referring to here.
You redefined her purpose and then criticised her for not following that redefinition. It's a reskinned creationist argument.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
veloper said:
I've got something even better for you that is even in line with your previous car analogy: take car journalism.
Now there's an industry where the media depends completely on the vendor.
Well, except that's false. And even if it wasn't, there are numerous consumer watchdog groups and publications, not to mention regulation and laws regarding auto manufacture, standards, and even warranty.

That example fell apart fast. Got another?

Every consumer who finally pulls his head out of the sand and begins to recognize the problem for what it is, would have made it worth it.
If there's a finite number of consumers, yes. Is there a finite number of consumers?

Jim is sending exactly the wrong message, when he says we shouldn't blame the consumer for this.
When does he actually say it? Perhaps you could timestamp it for me.

The industry will only change if the audience change their behaviour. If enough people keep falling for crap, nothing will change.
And yet, even with the cop-out of "buyer beware," people are still falling for it. Hell, despite the idea that people will wise up, you can see each new release filled with commenters from the same people who tip their hats to the new constitution.

Jim should have put the blame squarely on us and emphasized this in his video. It would not only have been much more amusing that way, trolling the Escapist, it would also have been more educational.
No, it would have just been trolling. And it would have been inane. Which, admittedly, would be funny, but that doesn't validate it in itself.

Promoting self-blame for buying into the misinformation is good, because such introspection is the starting point of change. Blaming the other party with their opposing interests, never works and can only be counter-productive.
Sweet. Remind me how other major industries have collapsed from this. Like...Cars. Or really, consumer products in general.

So the game that mr. consumer pre-ordered turns out to terrible? He should have done better research then.
Some people need to recognize the shit for what is and look for other, more reliable sources.
Which operates under the assumption that there are any. Which is part of the reason the argument breaks apart.

Yes, empty, meaningly mantras should be chanted while nothing changes.

I mean, "buyer beware" has been the state of the industry for years now, and quality control has gotten worse. That belies your whole premise. It's a very libertarian concept, but libertarians have never particularly been good with reality.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
And we're down to word games already.
No, you're down to word games.
I'm not debasing myself to argue with someone who refuses to provide clear context for their arguments against me.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Watching this episode, I kept making the following comparison:

1. It took me three days to research cars, test drive cars, find a good price, and purchase one. The entire process took about 15 hours.

2. More often than not, I won't buy a video game until I've read dozens of consumer reviews and watched hours of let's plays, a process that can take at minimum a month, sometimes up to a year.

----------------------

I was more at-ease making a $17,000 purchase (a $300/month commitment) than I am buying a single $15 game. Nine years on and I still love my car. It's performed far better than the salesman promised. I'm now 700 miles shy of 100k, and have spent around $1000 on repairs in all that time. My car is a Honda Civic - not exactly the kind of car that turns heads - but Honda gets a lot of free advertising from me every time I brag about how thrilled I am to own it.

In those same nine years, I can't even remember 3/4 of the games I've played because they either a) were more like clones than stand-out titles, b) were just plain bad, c) had awful or nonexistent stories, and/or d) were over-hyped and under-delivering pieces of detritus.

It's to a point now that "video game [publishers/marketers/studios]" can replace "car salesmen" as the poster children of complicity and dishonesty.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
veloper said:
Now there's an industry where the media depends completely on the vendor.
Well, except that's false. And even if it wasn't, there are numerous consumer watchdog groups and publications, not to mention regulation and laws regarding auto manufacture, standards, and even warranty.

That example fell apart fast.
I was talking about car journalism, so there's no point in you bringing up laws and regulations and all kinds of unrelated stuff.

You've never read a car mag and considered where most of the test cars and ad revenues come from?

If you have, you should have realised that car journalism is at the very least as compromised as game journalism is. If you had dug deeper you would have found out about all the courting that goes on behind the scenes. These guys are practically in bed with the manufacturers and it's no big secret either.

Got another?
Sure, electronics and hardware is another example of compromised journalism and so is any magazine where they get both their test products and ad revenues from the same people trying to sell the stuff. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

If there's a finite number of consumers, yes. Is there a finite number of consumers?
You don't think they're infinite in numbers, so is your line going anywhere?

Jim is sending exactly the wrong message, when he says we shouldn't blame the consumer for this.
When does he actually say it? Perhaps you could timestamp it for me.
Try 3:43

The industry will only change if the audience change their behaviour. If enough people keep falling for crap, nothing will change.
And yet, even with the cop-out of "buyer beware," people are still falling for it. Hell, despite the idea that people will wise up, you can see each new release filled with commenters from the same people who tip their hats to the new constitution.
Maybe we're not trying hard enough. Just because a message doesn't reach people, doesn't mean it's wrong.

No, it would have just been trolling. And it would have been inane. Which, admittedly, would be funny, but that doesn't validate it in itself.
Sweet. Remind me how other major industries have collapsed from this. Like...Cars. Or really, consumer products in general.
I'm not asking for a collapse of an entire industry. There's alot of shit out there, but NOT everything is shit, in part because there's still enough critical buyers left.

Which operates under the assumption that there are any. Which is part of the reason the argument breaks apart.
It's good that you've come to realise that game journalism is bad in general, but now you're just overreacting.
If all we cared for was Gamespot and IGN and the like, then that's all we would have got, but there's enough demand for other sources of information that independent reviewers can thrive.
On top of that, not every compromised mag is as bad as Gamespot, firing a reviewer for the first negative review that might displease a big publisher. Destructoid atleast I trust to have some integrity.

Yes, empty, meaningly mantras should be chanted while nothing changes.

I mean, "buyer beware" has been the state of the industry for years now, and quality control has gotten worse. That belies your whole premise. It's a very libertarian concept, but libertarians have never particularly been good with reality.
You can leave your politics at home today, because this has nothing to do with libertarianism or any political ideology.

Buyer beware is just good advice. Don't pre-order if you don't want to risk disappointment. Watch uploaded gameplay footage first before buying. Etcetera.

Also consider that the quality of games is highly subjective, so even if the game mags were 100% independent, it would still be adviseable to look for reviewers with compatible views instead of going with the first printed score you find. I may for instance not even care that the gfx of a game doesn't look quite as pretty as in the trailer, but a gfx-whore might. Judging the actual gameplay of a game is even more subjective.

So there's just no getting around doing some research even in a perfect world, unless you're willing to risk disappointment.