Jimquisition: Cloak and Dagger

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, that's something that really bugs me. I'd like to know exactly what the hell happened with Batman: Arkham Origins, but I never will because there's no way in hell they're going to tell anyone. Yes, nobody can known everything and there are somethings we'll never know, but as consumers, when we're getting the biggest, bulgiest shaft out there, I think we deserve a few answers.

Jim, you oughta do a video sometime about those devs that have told you in secret that you didn't have all the facts. It'd be great know just how many people have tried to change your mind about something without actually giving you a good reason.

Maybe that sentence doesn't make sense but I just had a tooth pulled today so, ya know, I'm just gonna hit 'post.'

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Desert Punk said:
I was wondering though, what is the game/games between 04:48 and 05:00 with the ships and futuristic city?

They look interesting and I love me some sci fi!
Shot in the dark - I think that's Dead Space 3. I could be very wrong though, and I'd love to be corrected, because I'm kinda curious too.

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
JarinArenos said:
Desert Punk said:
I was wondering though, what is the game/games between 04:48 and 05:00 with the ships and futuristic city?

They look interesting and I love me some sci fi!
Shot in the dark - I think that's Dead Space 3. I could be very wrong though, and I'd love to be corrected, because I'm kinda curious too.
It's Killzone Shadow Fall. The footage is from the story trailer.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Since when did the industry meant to dispense information find it a jim-dandy idea to withhold information? I see it in game journalism and mainstream media alike.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I think it's more likely that the secrecy and the mystery it creates are a deliberate ruse to hide other issues. For example the (previous) secrecy with the PS4 may well have been because Sony themselves still weren't sure where they were taking the console; supported by the day one update being necessary to both remove DRM (which they hammered XBone over) and install sharing- their biggest feature. As far as the games themselves go what happens behind the scenes really shouldn't be relevant in a game review- if the game is good give it a good review, if not don't, the game isn't made any better by finding out the details of its creation.

It would be great if the game industry dropped the whole mysterious overlord act when there's no need to hide something but personally I would put it fairly low on a list of issues that are currently present. Aside from anything else this secrecy, by and large, is only going to have any kind of negative effect on pre order numbers (which is no bad thing) because as soon as a product is released it will be immediately apparent which rumours are true and which aren't, allowing the consumer to make a more informed decision.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Dammit Jim, you got me wanting to go back and play more of The Secret World again. That game's story and graphics are pretty cool, too bad the actual gameplay is kinda shit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Nice episode, especially the use of images with the dialogue (at the start mostly). I can't stand it when sales figures are withheld. What is the publisher too embarrassed to admit that they didn't make a profit out of the millions of copies sold?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I imagine gaming's PR people will say that the current toxic atmosphere in blogs and forums means they can't be honest because any snippet that possibly can be viewed in a negative light will be blown out of all proportion. And to be fair, there's probably some truth to that. But it's also quite clear that meltdowns like the XBox One launch highlight that the PR folks don't even seem to have a clue as to what is likely to be an issue for gamers. That being the case, it would seem wisest to open up, and open up early, so that issues that are likely to hammer sales get ironed out well before they become part of unalterable procedures or schematics. It's still better to have people say awful things about you that are true and correctable than to have people say awful things that are inaccurate or outright false- especially when they believe those things because your past policies and poor understanding of your customers have led them to those conclusions.

And, yeah, cool mask, Sterling. But I'm sure we'll be happy to see your smiling visage taunting us next time.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Actually, the mask reduces sound quality, but you could add some gauze to fix it, I guess.

on secrecy, well.. secrets are going to be kept if we like it or not, it's 'mysteeeeerious' something very Halloween indeed.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Does it really matter to us how much a game sells? The only way that would be useful to us in any capacity would be in determining if a game was a success or a failure financially, and thus whether it is likely to be continued or not. And we hear that pretty quickly anyway.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Honestly it's publishers doing what all Higher management has to do is and prove they are needed and you should pay them.

If they can't hold the power or information and drive traffic, pay for a good review or pony up some money, then they're useless. If a Dev or journalist do something the publisher doesn't want, kiss job goodbye. Either blacklisted or worst fired like the guy from IGN after the kane and lynch. Also Why Maxis probably never say that EA made them put the DRM in if they ever want to work under another big publisher again

It's the same a bit for the journalist to, if they can't act all high and mighty about knowing something then why else would you still be listening to them?

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Does it really matter to us how much a game sells? The only way that would be useful to us in any capacity would be in determining if a game was a success or a failure financially, and thus whether it is likely to be continued or not. And we hear that pretty quickly anyway.
Yeah we hear it, but they never offer any proof. We hear crap like "Horror games don't sell" or "JRPGs don't sell" but never any actual proof.

Does it really matter to us how much a movie sells? Yet we have that information to an extremely detailed degree ($/theater, number of showings, etc)

conholio23

Oct 22, 2008
I swear I saw something like that mask in the live action Guyver movie. Don't seek it out unless you want to see a meh movie that doesn't make the best of having Mark Hamil in it.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
There's benefits to keeping secrecy, and keeping GOOD surprises... You just, you know, have to make sure you're GOOD at keeping secrets, as the gaming industry has proven time and time again that it's failed in that light. They're even worse at dealing with secrets being revealed. True, if a secret that's clearly bad for the costumer, then it probably WOULD be better to say nothing then admit to it, but it still makes things really confusing.