Jimquisition: Cloak and Dagger

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Cloak and Dagger

Sterling may not know much, but he knows this -- there's too much we don't know!

Watch Video

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
Actually, I thought the mask look a little bit like a Gremlin from the Gremlins movie, so it looks cool to me!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually Jim I wasn't going to say anything about the mask although I was rather surprised when the video started up and there you were with a fish mask staring back at me.
No what I want to say was that it never ceases to amaze and depress me how low the industry has sunk these days. It's like the industry is living in a bubbled off dystopia.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Part of the secrecy problem? NDAs - Sheets of paper that say what you can and cannot share with others about the product or practices that go on within development and the company.

I'd suggest asking developers, under anonymity, post NDAs they had to fill out and agree to while they were developing a game, and how those NDAs got in the way of making that game better or made it impossible to deliver information that could have been both useful and informative to both consumers and colleagues. If the kind of bullshit that NDAs covered are publicly published on the Internet, it's going to inform several people about the sort of underhanded things that go on in some companies, and perhaps it'll become another shitstorm similar to EA_Spouse.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Having been interested in game industry media for a long time, I graduated with a degree in journalism only to find out soon after how much of game journalism conflicted with everything I learned in school. You're right, the industry's grip is simply too tight for actual journalism to thrive. The sad part is that I don't see this changing anytime soon. Sure, there are some interesting features and whatnot that give insider stories after the fact, but most of what we see are just journos parroting what publishers tell them.

I wonder if it's really even possible for a game journalist to achieve success while sticking to traditional journalistic principles. When you're reporting on an industry you have to play ball if you're going to get any information at all.

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
I hope you will find some new opportunities after the breakup with destructoid. You were the only reason I went there so I hope I get to read your insightful reviews somewhere else.

And regarding the information blackout in the games media....

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. "

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, the gaming press basically going "I know something you don't know! [insert Spyro the Dragon Egg Thief laugh here]" annoys the hell out of me. Especially when they then go on to encourage people guessing/worrying about what it could be. Doubly so when another 'journalist' jumps in vaguely talking about it too.

Either come out with it, or keeps your mouth(s) shut.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I think the mask was an insult. Lets face it jim you are a sexy man and you should not cover up your face like that.

As for game developers and secrets it will bite them in the arse eventualy. I have not purchased a new game or console on day of release since the PS2 days. The amount of lies and bullshit they have been spewing over the years has destoryed any and all credability they had with me so no matter how much I like the look of a game I always wait at least 1 month before getting it so I can learn the truth form other people/reviwers.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
This video sounded like you took the subject matter a little personally. Given your recent leaving of Destructoid, is that all Sony was doing that was causing that ruckus? I know you don't like controlled review events, in general.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
If you give people no information of course there going to assume the worse since if its good information they would have told everybody.

So why bother keeping such things a secret?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
MowDownJoe said:
This video sounded like you took the subject matter a little personally. Given your recent leaving of Destructoid, is that all Sony was doing that was causing that ruckus? I know you don't like controlled review events, in general.
This video was actually written way before I resigned, and was inspired by all the mad rumors flying about. Nothing personal. To the best of my knowledge, the review event is the only issue with Sony.

My leaving Destructoid has nothing to do with the game industry at large, and everything to do with the reasons I gave.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
I am especially tweaked when the people behind the scenes address rumors as just being rumors, not fact, without giving the facts that they know. *cough*MAJOR NELSON*cough* It's ridiculous and upsetting. The last game I pre-ordered was Diablo 3, and it very well be the last game I pre-order, ever.

A big shame the game companies don't at least help their reputation by confirming or denying rumors in a bit more of a timely fashion.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Wrong Willem, I was typing 'WTF his tie is blue!!! this must mean he secretly works for Konami'

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
As to the whole secrecy thing of the Game Industry, I don't really thing it is a good thing either. Yes, there are some things you don't want to flat out say to the public like the story to a game, as that would ruin the experience of that story. But when it comes to mechanics, features and, hell, some of the business strategies that goes into these games should be on a need-to-know list.

The only real reason why I don't think companies do this more actively is probably because of fear of competition from other companies. We have Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as well as all of the game developers/publishers trying very hard to make themselves look presentable enough so we can part with our money for the goods they deliver. As such, every competitor is probably looking for a way to get a heads up on another company so maybe they can do better. I don't really know because again, these companies don't seem to want to state this kind of information publicly!

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
I remember someone brought up the point that "bad information is better than no information", and I happen to agree(forgot exactly where but it was a while ago). The less we know, the more we speculate and usually expect the worst but if we're given all the negative information (similar to what Sony did with said FAQ) we'll know what to expect and how to react when we open the box. So basically reiterating what Jim said. But it's so very true

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jim, I don't KNooow MUUUccch... but I know IIIiii love YOOO-A-hooouuu!

OT: I do find it strange that other forms of news media are often critisised for being over zealous when it comes to getting information and yet gameing journalism can't even report on leads without having their work slapped with a CEASE AND DISIST order.

How strange is it that videogames became a reckonised art form before its journalism beame a legitimate information distributor... or what ever you want to call it?

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
No what I want to say was that it never ceases to amaze and depress me how low the industry has sunk these days. It's like the industry is living in a bubbled off dystopia.
...and I don't see it getting better any time soon. Reminds me of when there was a buzz here about a second gaming industry crash.

Thankfully, we have indie games as a nice alternative to the AAA industry.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
We didn't actually get to see Jim in this episode, which makes me think he is still chained up in Scarecrow's basement and it was Scarecrow who made this one.
THE VILLAINY!!!!