Jimquisition: Corrupt, Censoring, Suicidal Indie Devs

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Corrupt, Censoring, Suicidal Indie Devs

You'd think big publishers want to silence critics, but no. Sadly, the indie world spawns the most corrupt individuals, and it makes even the good guys look bad.

Watch Video

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Jim, I know Konami blacklisted you, but did even they go so far as to try and have your negative reviews taken down?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that was easily one of my favourite build ups to the "thank God for me" line. Maybe it is this juvenile, maybe it is just because their feelings being hurt. At least big developers are just that, big, so that anything they say will have to go through some some uninterested PR person. The smaller you are, the more raw your nerves are.

CrazyFikus

Mar 20, 2009
Censorship of valid criticism is bullshit, and indie devs who try that deserve a good spanking.
Thank god for you Jim, for exposing fuckwits.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
IMO, the most remarkable thing about the false copyright takedowns (after the first one) is that after clear proof that it does not work, and that the repercussions of such an act may well be the demise thier game and studio, is that they went and tried it anyway.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Did anyone think of Cobra (GI Joe)? Cobra studios could be a an attempt by Cobra commander to take over the world through video games. Man that sounds stupid.

OT: Censorship on the internet won't work unless the individual doing it controls it as well. So yeah we maybe hearing stories of indie devs behaving like this for a long time.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
This whole video game industry nonsense is a microcosm of what's wrong with the U.S.'s unregulated market. But that's me being political.

Well thought-out and insightful episode, Jim!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
To be fair, Best of Steam Greenlight is not criticism. It's comedy. It's pisstaking. I'm not saying that justifies abuse of Youtube's system, but when your content consists of taking the piss out of someone else's work without any constructive analysis, then I feel it would be best to be a bit more mild about potential backlash, kind of like what Retsupurae does with their content (they take it down themselves immediately if the target objects to it).

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
tm96 said:
Did anyone think of Cobra (GI Joe)? Cobra studios could be a an attempt by Cobra commander to take over the world through video games. Man that sounds stupid.
I was waiting for Jim to make a Cobra Commander joke, especially at the end. Alas, a missed opportunity.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
HA! xD The *scary voice* "And I'm going to crush you." part was awesome.

I was wondering what you were going to do for this to make it not just the same thing as the last time someone did this.

Glad you took the chance to update us on what happened to the older offenders. :)

Thank God for you, Jim.

I guess the bright side of this is the channels these devs try to silence get extra material instead.

xD Fools!

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Am I the only one finding it ironic that Sterling is making an argument about censorship on a website that remove your comment for simply asking "Why"?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
EnterElysium also posted a video in support of you this morning Jim.

Anyway, Thank God For Jim in this matter and we can only hope that this trend dies off sooner or later. When there are enough scare stories about this kind of BS hopefully the bad eggs in the indie industry will stop trying use censorship as an easy way out.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Goliath100 said:
Am I the only one finding it ironic that Sterling is making an argument about censorship on a website that remove your comment for simply asking "Why"?
Probably, especially if your comment was literally just the word "Why".

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Carnagath said:
To be fair, Best of Steam Greenlight is not criticism. It's comedy. It's pisstaking. I'm not saying that justifies abuse of Youtube's system, but when your content consists of taking the piss out of someone else's work without any constructive analysis, then I feel it would be best to be a bit more mild about potential backlash, kind of like what Retsupurae does with their content (they take it down themselves immediately if the target objects to it).
Fair point, but Kobra did not behave in a manner that could be truthfully said to be "mild"; as the episode made clear, a copyright takedown is a unilateral action with serious consequences for the channel that it is used against - three strikes and the channel will be completely deleted.

The channel has no defense, other than to I) file a counter-claim and hope that Youtube bureaucracy finds in its favour, II) fight it in court or III) lay back and take it, always mindful that it only has to happen two more times before it's curtains. Only this time, Jim decided to take the fourth option: mobilize outrage at the grassroots level in order to expose Kobra's own wrongdoing, and to shame it into backing down.

It's the nuclear option, basically, and once Kobra decided to exercise it, it'd better be prepared for the fallout.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
DataSnake said:
Jim, I know Konami blacklisted you, but did even they go so far as to try and have your negative reviews taken down?
Seeing as he brought them up while saying, "Not even those AAA A-holes tried this crap", I'm guessing they didn't.

<.< Unless they blanked out Jim's memory of it.
Though, if they has such technology, they'd probably use it to make us forget that Silent Hill 2 remake. ;p

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
A Dev dumb and lazy enough to steal thier own avatar was dumb and lazy enough to make a crap video of a bad looking game which they were dumb and lazy enough to try to ban critism of... say it aint so.

Still livens up my afternoon to hear about another idiot developer I should avoid.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
That was probably the most awesome segue into the ending "Thank God for Me" I've ever heard in one of these videos.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
wetfart said:
tm96 said:
I was waiting for Jim to make a Cobra Commander joke, especially at the end. Alas, a missed opportunity.
Not the stupidest plan Cobra's come up with.
And Jim, I had no idea indie debs could pull such heinous bullshit! I'm more used to the Big Publishers Bad / Indie Studios Good dichotomy (that you yourself have drilled into my mind), but It's surprising to learn it's not that black-and-white after all.