Jimquisition: Corrupt, Censoring, Suicidal Indie Devs

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It is always nice to see people like this get what they deserve. Considering all the examples with TB I am suprised anyone thinks they can get away with this.

On a side note everyone really should sub to Jim's youtube channel the stuff he has going on there is hilarious.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
"When people hear the name 'Jim Sterling', they think of Jim Sterling. When people hear the name 'Kobra Studios'... they think of Jim Sterling."

BANG BANG

SHOTS FIRED

SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE WE'VE GOT A DEV DOWN

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Carnagath said:
To be fair, Best of Steam Greenlight is not criticism. It's comedy. It's pisstaking. I'm not saying that justifies abuse of Youtube's system, but when your content consists of taking the piss out of someone else's work without any constructive analysis, then I feel it would be best to be a bit more mild about potential backlash, kind of like what Retsupurae does with their content (they take it down themselves immediately if the target objects to it).
I disagree. It's comedy, yes, but I have a very distinct critical point with the series overall. The series points out problems with, say, bad framerates in conjunction with camera pans. Yeah it's comical, but I *do* consider it criticism, in the same vein as I would with the kind of way Yahtzee does stuff.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Glad to see a Jimquisition episode that tears indie-devs down a peg or two. I've always felt that while the AAA-scene has its problems, the indie-scene also isn't the oasis of creativite drive and artistic integrity some people in the "hardcore" community make it out to be.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Big publishers are stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. They know that it's best to keep most developers FAR away from the media, and those they allow to speak are often given PR training.

Hey indie devs - treating your customers like you would people in some 4chan forum or youtube comments is not how you run a business. That's what you're trying to do, right? Run a business? Not go OUT of business?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Has anyone created a website to publicly black list developers/studios that do this kind of shit?

I would like to bookmark that site.

lasati

Jul 15, 2011
As an experienced indie developer who is actually making a game (and not a scam), I'm glad these bad actors get called out. So thanks Jim.

On the other hand, I paused the video when you said "You do not start shit with a media personality" and that really struck me.

Because what do you do if a media personality goes out of his way to start shit with you, not because your game is bad (ours is in development so only we've played it) but because you expressed an opinion about the game industry in an unrelated forum/on your blog/etc that media personality didn't like?

Media is the check on bad-actor developers, but who is the check on media personalities with enough twitter followers that they can get away with saying whatever they want even if it's factually false, simply to censor the indie developer's opinion on a random topic.

One media personality with a bug up his butt on some issue can destroy an otherwise hardworking, honest, indie developer and honestly ruin a bunch of people's lives. So be aware of that side too.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
So watching and reading through the different sites that have been covering this unfortunate, but hilarious, fallout I've been wondering if cultural misunderstandings factor into some of these issues considering they are Russian devs. I've seen a couple of comments mention similar problems with Russian and other foreign devs. Also a forum board on the Greenlight page was interesting, and again funny, to see playout where a supposed French dev asked for suggestions for his MMORPG and then lashed out at someone's very constructive criticism about grammar in games saying it was pointless advice and that he spoke French, but the guy who posted didn't even know that as it was never previously mentioned. So obviously it probably doesn't help, but curious what your thoughts are on how much that factors to these and similar, but still inexcusable, issues?

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
tm96 said:
Did anyone think of Cobra (GI Joe)? Cobra studios could be a an attempt by Cobra commander to take over the world through video games. Man that sounds stupid.
I was half expecting an Angry Joe Corporate commander cameo when I heard the name.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I guess once Ubisoft and EA were finished putting their foot in their mouths, the well ran dry.
While true, this is a very redundant episode.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Sterling career"

I see what you did, Jim. Well played.

I think one of the biggest reasons we tend to look at big pubs as the problem is that they have so many damn games. It's easier to see a pattern. A lot of the problematic indie devs will have a game or two, far from enough to establish a larger pattern. EA has done so much stupid stuff that every time they take any action, we look at them with scrutiny, but Random Dev Limited? Well, they're only just now releasing "Indie Game 1.1" so we don't have a history to work with.

Also, because everyone's watching EA or Ubisoft or Activision or Konami, that probably further tempers their actions. Which makes you wonder how stupid EA is when they think nobody's looking. But I'm being a touch unfair to EA.

gigastar said:
IMO, the most remarkable thing about the false copyright takedowns (after the first one) is that after clear proof that it does not work, and that the repercussions of such an act may well be the demise thier game and studio, is that they went and tried it anyway.
They may have thought it'd work this time. Why?

KDR_11k said:
Bad idea: Antagonizing the review editor of a major publication.
These were guys too lazy to bother hiding their plagiarism. I doubt they even bothered to find out who "Jim Sterling" was.

Carnagath said:
To be fair, Best of Steam Greenlight is not criticism. It's comedy. It's pisstaking.
Thos are in no way mutually exclusive and, from a quick look at Jim's videos, it looks like he qualifies at least most of the time as criticism or commentary.

Goliath100 said:
Am I the only one finding it ironic that Sterling is making an argument about censorship on a website that remove your comment for simply asking "Why"?
Actually, they rarely remove comments like that. Worst case, you get a warning and your post is noted as such. But are you seriously comparing removal of criticism to a warning for a glorified +1?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Carnagath said:
To be fair, Best of Steam Greenlight is not criticism. It's comedy. It's pisstaking. I'm not saying that justifies abuse of Youtube's system, but when your content consists of taking the piss out of someone else's work without any constructive analysis, then I feel it would be best to be a bit more mild about potential backlash, kind of like what Retsupurae does with their content (they take it down themselves immediately if the target objects to it).
I disagree. It's comedy, yes, but I have a very distinct critical point with the series overall. The series points out problems with, say, bad framerates in conjunction with camera pans. Yeah it's comical, but I *do* consider it criticism, in the same vein as I would with the kind of way Yahtzee does stuff.
Well... I mean, any kind of pisstaking can be interpreted as containing some measure of criticism if you really want to force it, but I hope you get my point. Yahtzee's videos have got nothing to do with Best of Steam Greenlight. They are reviews with an emphasis on comedic exaggeration, but if one were to extract that, they would be left with a coherent piece of criticism that often goes in considerable depth. Your series has more in common with Retsupurae's Kickstarter Nonstarters, which is why I mentioned their policy as a fair way to deal with backlash without letting things get too out of hand and bloody, by having an understanding with the targets of your comedy. Because if you don't, you get copyright strikes on one hand and "fuck you, deal with it" 's on the other hand and everyone is miserable.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
What about take a Jimquisition and highlight 10 indie games that are good that no one is pay attention to?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lol. Those last lines. Your so full of shit Jim. Hehehe

The way I see it, triple AAA can be good or bad, nothing extreme (well, it doesn't seem so right now), but Indie Devs can be great or an absolute pain in the ass. With more freedom you can expect to see the best and the worst. I know that's a little too general.

Also, I can't wait to see your Youtube channel now. Those teasers and trailers need a good kick up the bum too.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Do they not know that filing a fake DMCA take down notice is a crime ? YOU could take them to court and win.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
yeah, censoring criticism sucks. like implementing a CoC that banns people for publicly airing their grievances with how something is done.

you will not Escape the wrath of the guy who advertized his personal Youtube channel on the Escapist!
Thank God for Jim

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
I hadn't really though of the PR line of it. That's a really good point Jim.
Thank God for Jim.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
direkiller said:
tm96 said:
Did anyone think of Cobra (GI Joe)? Cobra studios could be a an attempt by Cobra commander to take over the world through video games. Man that sounds stupid.
I was half expecting an Angry Joe Corporate commander cameo when I heard the name.
Let's let Joe not be funny on his own channel and leave the Jimquisition to Jim.

lasati said:
Media is the check on bad-actor developers, but who is the check on media personalities with enough twitter followers that they can get away with saying whatever they want even if it's factually false, simply to censor the indie developer's opinion on a random topic.
I wager you're basically screwed if that happens. You've got a large base of fans who will basically harass someone at the whim of the personality and limited accountability. And while I haven't seen anything on that scale, I've certainly seen media types fixate on a particular dev (even indie) to the point of obsession.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Hey Jim, great episode, as per usual.

Just wanted to ask if you were going to make an episode regarding the Everquest Landmark title (which is in beta), seeing as it is apparently one, big, fiasco. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter.

Here's a review about it to give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA97SqR9jvY#