Jimquisition: Dragon's Frown

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Monxeroth said:
In this case however most of the justification behind the low score of dragons crown has little to do with what the actual game offers in its mechanics and any type of objective aspect, but rather:
"How dare a game developer design a character that uses an artstyle that i dont find visually appealing. I wil now use this highly biased and subjective perspective as an objective justification to bash on this game hurr durr"
I don't get it.
How is there anything "hurr durr" about taking a few points off a game's score because there's a big element of it that you don't like? There is nothing less subjective about judging the mechanics, content or sound than there is about judging the art. There is no "objective justification" and nobody is pretending there is. The reviewer was left with an overall unimpressive experience of the game and she reflected that in her score. That is literally her only job.

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
Personal like or disgust of subject matters in a product is definitely a factor that can affect someone's like for the game. It affects player engagement, and if the game doesn't engage the player, it fails to deliver a good quality product.

Reading the review, I see several things that sabotages the reviewers engagement of the game. Grind and bore related to shallow mechanics, and story elements that bury the experience for her. (I bet there are some people who play the game to see the next sex toy in distress picture... and speaking of target audience, perhaps the target audience excludes women...) It is clear why the reviewer would be put off by such things.

Not to mention that, as a reviewer she is obligated to play through the whole game, which quite likely exacerbates a reviewer's negativity from being unengaged by the game.

I think the review is honest. And you don't even have to be a fe(naughty word in this place) to be turned off by this game. If there is any bias, it is because, least I say it, the reviewer is female (and I will say the next part unapologetically). She just isn't into getting boners from those pictures NPC women.

Perhaps the reviewer finding the game getting more boring as it forces you do fight the same thing over again is another abhorrent bias (in seriousness. Longer ain't always better and padding can be detrimental to the experience, and overuse of padding is another legitimate detractor for a game).

Perhaps, the score is low based on the descriptions. But, perhaps the game really does get that boring if you grind it out for the duration of the narrative. Or perhaps the score is slightly negatively affected by bias. (Oh no, now the review is completely horrible and unwarranted...). I'd wouldn't blink an eye if I read the review and saw a score of 7. (thats a one point difference on the 20 gradation scale polygon uses).

kevboard

Sep 9, 2013
ya i would have a hard time too if i really cared about bad reviews of games i like... i LOOOOOOVE Ninja Blade (68% on gamerankings), i love Tenchu Z (57% on gamerankings) and i love Dynasty Warriors 8 (66% on Gamerankings).

and there are games like the Uncharted series which i find to be the most overrated series of this generation...
i would give Uncharted 2 a ~65% rating... should you care if you like it? No...
and i watched many gameplay videos of The Last of Us... and it looks like shit to me because its gameplay looks dull and uninspired to me just like Uncharted.