Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I too love Dynasty Warriors, 3 was the first one I played and gone all the way through (on the PS2/PS3) to DW7, which I love. Te DLC weapons are hilarious

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I am more and more confused with this site and its community, lately.

So, debating became a bad thing exactly when? I wasn't warned. The 'sarcastic' comments poking fun at people who disliked the game/columnist/episode are ludicrous at best. Are people really this black-or-white?

About the episode, I liked some of your latest shows, especially the used games ones. This one, regrettably, goes back to the 'average-ranting-videogame-guy' which is old and tired. I really hope a new show comes up that doesn't feel the need to fence with its audience at every turn.

It is a beaten-up persona, Jim.

About DW, I never really managed to enjoy it. Mainly because it IS god-awful repetitive. Yes, trying to achieve 1 Gogolplex Combo hits might be fun for a while, but when you exhaust what little diversity you have, in terms of weapons, attacks and mainly, enemies, it becomes too formulaic to be enjoyable, for my tastes. I drown in catharsis in other titles, such as Pac Man DX or even vanilla Tetris.

I do understand why some like it. But it's not for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Koei has been using that setting since 1985.

The big lump of WW2 games didn't come until the mid-late 90s. I think it's adorable that people keep forgetting that.
Of course, that belies the commonality of shooter titles drenched in identical settings by dishonestly trying to pretend the number of years is more important than the quantity of titles.

But hey, if you really NEED to hide behind that, go for it.

Of course, the rest were still the lies Jim was addressing, so run with the dishonesty, I guess?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wolfenbarg said:
But... all you did was defend the game on its own merits, not explain why it is the Citizen Kane of gaming. Defending it as good is one thing, defending it as a benchmark that every other serious game will inevitably be compared to it something else entirely, and I didn't see that at all. A second part incoming, perhaps?
I'm amazed people are still taking the "Citizen Kane" thing seriously.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
pfft it's hardly reasonable to compare it to Citizen Kane. I mean, sure, its good, But it's just a movie.

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
On the topic of DW, I really want them to expand their 'Kingdoms' installments. I love adding diplomacy, recruitment, more army control, troop upgrades, territory advances etc etc into my hack and slash games.

I like to choose who is king of what kingdom and place their position somewhere then start the campaign with my custom made hero either has Ruler, Vassal or Merc but the game was too simple. Some more features and complex strategy components please :D

Anyway I like how you gave some attention to DW as it doesn't get enough love. oh and I really am not a hack n slash fan while DW is the exception so they must be doing something right.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.
No, it's not because it's repetitive.
It's because it IS a button masher. :>
An -awesome-, button masher.

But I've been in love with the series since Dynasty warriors 2, so I may be biased.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
I hate the "it's good because I can just turn my brain off" argument.

The Transformers movies are kinda like that but in no way are they good movies.

Comparing it to really old arcade games is fine but at this day and age you would forgive us if we expect something more out of our $500 hardware. The only way I would say that DW is good is that if I got it for $4 off the bargain bin. Then yes it would totally worth the money.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
Therumancer said:
To be honest, I think one of the problems with games like "Dynasty Warriors" is the amount of money they are charging for them. These games are selling for the same, relatively high price, as other games that took more funds and efforts to develop. I think people would receive them better, and be less critical, if the prices were lowered comparitively to the actual production values of the game.

Agreed.

LostNightRecon

Apr 28, 2009
Togs said:
Yes Dynasty Warriors is therapeutic, but its still shallow shovelware.

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.
Isn't that also what has happens with Call of Duty? Oh wait your in WW2 for 1-2-3, Then 4 is modern war, then 5 is WW2 again, then 6 is modern war, then 7 is Vietnam, then 8 is modern war. So that makes it all different right?

Aug 17, 2009
I only have two "Warriors" games, Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires & Samurai Warriors 2, and he didn't mention my favourite thing in them: A Civilopedia.

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires has a huge library of background information about the real War of the Three Kingdoms, as well as the novel. It was expansive enough to get me interested in Chinese history predating the KMT, so there. A dumb button masher made me more intellectually curious about an oft-neglected aspect of history.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Gotta agree.
And Jim did grow on me a bit.

But to DW I prefer it's clone, for lack of a better word, Capcom's Sengoku Basara.

Especially SB3, where they brought in the visual-novel style multiple route progression with different endings.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
LostNightRecon said:
Isn't that also what has happens with Call of Duty? Oh wait your in WW2 for 1-2-3, Then 4 is modern war, then 5 is WW2 again, then 6 is modern war, then 7 is Vietnam, then 8 is modern war. So that makes it all different right?
Never said it did, Im personally not a fan of CoD for similar reasons (plus I hate shooters).

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Glad to see the show is still going. Would you mind not cashing your check until next Tuesday?

Anyways, LuBu makes DW worth it on his own.

Gene O

Jul 9, 2008
So there are other Dynasty Warriors fans besides me and my brother. I was wondering about that. Someone had to be buying the games besides us but I could never find anyone else who had even heard of the series.

Thank God for Koei.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Oh god the voice acting of dw3 was epic :) Surprised he didn't show one of the games endings which is basically the characters having "fun" and doing silly dances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7i9MtfuhyA

Haven't really kept up with the series since dw5 which I thought was a big disappointment overall compared to 4 or 3 but good thing about this series is you can quit and come back anytime and be confident the story and characters are more or less how you remember them xD