Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jim Sterling said:
Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?

Watch Video
My counter argument.

As you said, it is a "fun, turn off your brain game where you can slaughter entire armies that has so bad it's good acting." That isn't Citizen Kane, that is Transformers. Citizen Kane was thought proving and demanded to be studied to be understood. While the gameplay mechanics may be deeper then "push random buttons to make things dead," everything else about the games is very simple. Nothing wrong with simplicity, I like the kirby games which are as simple as one can get without making Pong. However, the Citizen Kane of gaming should be something that pushes all the boundaries and the limits of the medium, the hard pressed work of a genius who has worked his entire career so he/she can make that game. Dynasty Warriors, even though it isn't as everybody says it is, isn't that series.
Man you don't get the joke. Watch the last 30 seconds again.

He's saying it's the citizen kane of gaming so he'll be able to say something that no one else has, specifically yahtzee or extra credits.
True, but that still hasn't changed the fact that he didn't prove his statement.

kDanthe

Freelance Badge Collector
Aug 7, 2007
I used to hate this show at first...
Now I realise that what hatred I felt for it back then, was just my mind waking up from a long and deep slumber of stupidity.
Thank you Jim! It's good to have you!

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I respect your opinion Jim, I still hate Dynasty Warriors. If I want to something that's fun, turn of my brain, and that embodies old-school beat'em ups, I'll just go and play Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta on Easy, hell I've had more fun with the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed than Dynasty Warriors. That's just me, I'm not hating or anything.

levelone

Apr 17, 2009
Oh god that video was so original. I want to give the Jimquisition money. Yes I want to give cash to Jim Sterling, as of 12 October 2011 9:23 pm. I want to give jim sterling money, real currency, for original entertainment.

Christ that video was so original, entertaining and coherent. I am going to Join a fraternity, get a job and find a girlfriend. ONLY because of Jim Sterling.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
ShadowRatchet92 said:
I respect your opinion Jim, I still hate Dynasty Warriors. If I want to something that's fun, turn of my brain, and that embodies old-school beat'em ups, I'll just go and play Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta on Easy, hell I've had more fun with the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed than Dynasty Warriors. That's just me, I'm not hating or anything.
Uhhh, was that supposed to be ironic?

PhoenixVanguard

Aug 28, 2010
ShadowRatchet92 said:
You forget one thing that the Warriors series has that these games don't. The thing that, for me, MADE old school beat 'em ups my favorite genre of the 16 bit era.

Multiplayer Co-op. As a standard.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Dynasty Warrior games are great, some must be considered instant classics. Though Koei does release some Dynasty Warrior games that are clearly beta tests for the next installment, so I suggest seeking out DW fans on which ones to buy. It can a Final Frontier / Wrath of Khan difference. My top suggestions are DW4 and DW7.

It surprises me to that people hate the Dynasty Warrior games, but reviewers often gives these games low sources and idiots that think reviewers are as god like as Jim pretends to be tend to repeat this belief blindly. I have actually been insulted for buying a DW game at a gaming store, by the person working there. I asked him why he didn't like DW games, and he really couldn't give me an explanation, it was just that he thought he was expected to look down on DW games.

Everyone knows what a multiplayer hack and slash is, imagine that on a battlefield with millions of soldiers, leveling up, and elephant riding. You know by now if that's something you'll like, DW is not going to disappoint.

By the way, it turns out "Red Hare" was his horse.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Are you going to go back to screwing sonic dolls and stop with the lame cartoon art now that your popular and dont have to pander to the escapist crowd?

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
I actually really like the DW games for what they are, mindless fun. Although I do prefer the off-shoot Samurai Warriors a bit more, if only for the setting.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
keideki said:
I actually really like the DW games for what they are, mindless fun. Although I do prefer the off-shoot Samurai Warriors a bit more, if only for the setting.
Same reason I play Bladestorm, still, since launch.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
I always enjoyed DW titles, but I can't justify paying $60 for every new addition to the franchise, just like sports titles. Maybe every third installment, so you can actually notice a lot of improvements and changes to the franchise.

I think it's unfair to just say all classic games are button-mashers when comparing it to DW. The classic games didn't have much of a choice, since there were only 2-3 action buttons that you could use anyway, so the gameplay had to be simple to adjust to limited controls and old tech.

But once again, I enjoy DW titles myself, because it still feels good to wipe out thousands of soldiers with a lance and some insane attacks.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
I do enjoy a good DW smash up, but coming right out and saying that it has shallow narrative, no characters and crap story doesn't seem to fit very well with calling it
"the Citizen Kane of gaming."

Oh well. Trolls will be trolls I suppose. I've grown to like Jim's vids in the last few months so I'm glad he'll be on regularly.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.
Totally agree here. The fact that it's almost a 'bash one button' game doesn't put me off, it's the repetitive nature of it that made me lose interest. I don't hate it, but I just don't find fun anymore.

troqu

May 14, 2009
I also like Dynasty Warriors. Not sure if I'd call it the Citizen Kane of gaming though... I thought Citizen Kane was a over hyped POS.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
Oh good, you called it the Citizen Kane of Gaming, I wasn't aware that the film was graphically touched up and rereleased every year.

In all seriousness this might be the first episode of Jimquisition I liked. I'm still annoyed with Jim's style of claiming everyone else makes poor strawman arguments before going off to do the exact same thing, but it works somewhat here.

Way back in the day I remember playing Dynasty Warriors 3 with a friend for hours, and Jim's absolutely right, it's great stupid fun. I don't think anything will top the "MAAAAAGIC" line of the first level. But the problem isn't the one game, it's the series as a whole. It hasn't changed, it hasn't introduced new mechanics in any meaningful way, it's just slightly prettier with a few flashier moves.
I don't think it's too much to ask of a series for something to change besides the graphics.

bigmen0

Jun 19, 2011
Actually Jim, Yahtzee did nominate another game as the citizen kane of gaming.

(Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Virgilthepagan said:
Oh good, you called it the Citizen Kane of Gaming, I wasn't aware that the film was graphically touched up and rereleased every year.
Don't forget the constantly added scenes! >.>

I don't think it's too much to ask of a series for something to change besides the graphics.
Neither do I. fortunately, Dynasty Warriors really has changed things over the years. At least as much as any football game or shooter franchise.

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
Good for you my man. I am happy you stayed.
And i searched, so now it is certified, not Jatzee, nor Extra Credits, in fact not a soul since the first world chronicles, has ever said: Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming.
Not even Orson Wells.