Jimquisition: EA Access ... Denied

kennyloo69

Nov 16, 2009
I thought they announced that EA Access doesn't require an xbox live subscription. Did that change or am I just making stuff up?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The thing about this kind of "trust" is that it's based on precedents that aren't primarily about the online passes, pre-order miniature bonuses, and botched launches. Precedents in this case are primarily about what these services have been: venues to allow subscribers to play games that range from indies (e.g. Guacamelee and Don't Starve) to 2K and Deep Silver games (e.g. Bioshock Infinite and Saints Row 3) to first-party exclusives (e.g. Halo 3 and inFamous 2). Even if the services leap up in price to $100/year, they would still be valuable as ways to play such games.

I can't speak for myself on how good EA Access would be, but there sure are people who like the new Battlefields and Maddens.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I suggest Bug Princess could be a playable character in Hyrule Warriors - a few months later they announce Bug Princess as playable.

I make a joke that Capcom has been dropping the ball by not remaking Resident Evil for the new consoles like it always does - two days later, Capcom announces it's remaking Resident Evil for new consoles.

I make a Jimquisition about how EA Access will soon see EA gating off content it used to provide as standard - 47 MINUTES LATER, Electronic Arts announces it's gating off content it used to provide as standard.

I genuinely, truly, believe I am some sort of Holy Being.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
What's most pathetic is you see Bowners defending this garbage simply because it's Bone only. And that's just sad seeing someone defend the (former) Worst Company in America. Don't they realize what they're doing to themselves?

Do you seriously believe EA when they claim they'll never shut off your access to the games? Are we just supposed to ignore a decade of EA shutting down games and servers and studios and apps and think they really mean it this time? They just shut down the FTP Ultima game, rendering any ACTUAL MONEY people spent on it null and void with no compensation.

EA is never, ever to be trusted.

I told people that eventually, some horrible company would start charging people for demos. And surprise surprise! EA is the one leading the charge. Wake up, people.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
So how long before an EA access subscription is needed to play multiplayer in EA games? (On top of Xbox live of course)

Because we know it's coming.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
I'm a little tired of all the early access/dlc talk. I do get it, and I don't pre-purchase anything, and I don't like buying dlc. I have made all these points to my friends already. I don't know who doesn't get it, but it's definitely not your audience.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, your show and I'll watch it even if this line of conversation continues, it just feels like it's been the point of conversation quite often lately. This was happening a few years ago, and I believe it will naturally kill itself because people don't want to play this shitty game.(By that I mean the game where the publishers search your wallet for more money.)

More and more I think that are system of trade is becoming a problem. The worst thing for me here is that these people exist in an industry where they can sell something that costs no ongoing overhead, and are now developing a system to take the money before they actually PRODUCE something. We aren't so stupid as a people to keep falling for this, right? right??

...oh god...

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
I suggest Bug Princess could be a playable character in Hyrule Warriors - a few months later they announce Bug Princess as playable.

I make a joke that Capcom has been dropping the ball by not remaking Resident Evil for the new consoles like it always does - two days later, Capcom announces it's remaking Resident Evil for new consoles.

I make a Jimquisition about how EA Access will soon see EA gating off content it used to provide as standard - 47 MINUTES LATER, Electronic Arts announces it's gating off content it used to provide as standard.

I called the "pay for demos" years ago and no one listened.

My next prophecy for garbage corporate scum bullshit game publisher actions is that they will eventually start charging for patches, under the "Well the dev team spent effort on this don't they deserve compensation" bullshit excuse.

Capcom has been dancing around it for years, but one of EA, Activision or Ubisoft will finally cross the line and do it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah where others see a good deal, I see a slippery slope getting lubricated.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

That is indeed why we thank You for You. Now then, in the spirit of things, between Activision's announcement of all the subscription games and Ubisoft's announcement of everything will need a subscription and an always online internet connection, you should announce a subscription service. All Access Jim, all the time, just thirty dollars per year.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Yeah giving it a wide birth until it proves itself. However what happens should all that stuff come to pass? Simple. Valve and Nintendo will simply rule everything. Everyone will go to them because Steam is free with good sales and Nintendo CONSISTENTLY finishes its games with very very very little DLC ever added to them. Of course that's all a big if but that's what I see happening. People running to the two companies that don't actively cut content or try to screw everybody over.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
The Grim Ace said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

That is indeed why we thank You for You. Now then, in the spirit of things, between Activision's announcement of all the subscription games and Ubisoft's announcement of everything will need a subscription and an always online internet connection, you should announce a subscription service. All Access Jim, all the time, just thirty dollars per year.
And immediately gate off "The Vault" of Jimquisition episodes, which of course can be accessed only if you subscribe to Jim's Premium Plan.

cypher-raige

Apr 15, 2014
Am I the only one who doesn't care about EA's games?
Another Madden, another FIFA, another game to rival CoD (BF/MoH), another disappointing Bioware game, ANOTHER Need for Speed game every. single. year, why is this franchise still alive?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

Quickly, suggest that someone should remake Startopia and have it not be shit!

Musicsvictim

Dec 2, 2013
I find this all hilarious because EA doesn't even believe in this. "Here's a new subscription service we thought you would really like because it gives you access to loads of cool stuff...but only the things that aren't making us any more money." Titanfall things aren't included because it is currently making them money, but once they've milked it dry they'll allow people to have it. It is a brilliant joke by EA, but it will wear thin quickly.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Aaaaaaand Electronic Arts proves Jimquisition's point within forty-seven minutes!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5991063/madden-nfl-15-no-demo-ea-access

In the words of Timon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhgHzuPYiI
Jesus I guess this explains why I have gone from purchasing at least 2-3 games per month to 1 purchase every 3-4 months. I am just so burnt out of seeing all these Car Salesmen tactics. The purchases are usually along the lines of good indie titles such as shovel knight but even the indie scene and steam in general have become much more unattractive.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Thanatos2k said:
What's most pathetic is you see Bowners defending this garbage simply because it's Bone only. And that's just sad seeing someone defend the (former) Worst Company in America. Don't they realize what they're doing to themselves?

Do you seriously believe EA when they claim they'll never shut off your access to the games? Are we just supposed to ignore a decade of EA shutting down games and servers and studios and apps and think they really mean it this time? They just shut down the FTP Ultima game, rendering any ACTUAL MONEY people spent on it null and void with no compensation.

EA is never, ever to be trusted.

I told people that eventually, some horrible company would start charging people for demos. And surprise surprise! EA is the one leading the charge. Wake up, people.
I kind of wait the day when Escapist mounts an invasion to EA with everything. Pitchforks, torches and a molotovs.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Aaaaaaand Electronic Arts proves Jimquisition's point within forty-seven minutes!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5991063/madden-nfl-15-no-demo-ea-access

In the words of Timon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhgHzuPYiI
That's a new record!

Wulfram77 said:
It's $5/$30. That doesn't require massive amounts of trust.

And, yeah, eventually they'll try to screw us. But they'll do that anyway. I don't see why it'll be worse with subscriptions.

And really, are we so enamoured of the current AAA publishing model? I'm not, so why fight to defend it? A subscription model could end up encouraging a less short term approach, if retaining customer loyalty becomes more important than covering holes in your cash flow with rushed releases.
It's less trying to preserve a shit system and more trying to stop it from sliding even further backwards. Besides a subscription model would most likely result in a drip feed of content, not an improvement of quality.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The prophecy continues.... http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/08/06/activision-could-pursue-ea-access-like-subscription-plan-once-model-is-proven