Jimquisition: EA Access ... Denied

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I avoid all this stuff by not owning consoles (wait, I'm not bashing consoles), EA, and Ubisoft. I also only buy games either through Steam, GOG.com, or direct from the developer. I include consoles because they are closed platforms controlled by two companies I don't trust too much, otherwise they are fine gaming platforms.
That means I don't play Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect 3, but honestly I don't feel like I am losing that much. The only thing that I really miss is being able to play Rayman Legends, although if it comes to GOG.com then I will pick that up. The no Ubisoft rule only applies to titles requiring UPlay.
I know this doesn't work for everyone, but as the kind of gamer who is happy spending a whole weekend expanding my kingdom in Mount and Blade or spending my whole evening after work playing a turn based strategy game I find plenty of titles to keep me occupied.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
It?s depressive that you can?t even trust a publishers subscription service anymore, if trust in your company is that low you?re clearly doing something fatally wrong.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Thank god for the Sterling Jim. Yes this EA does look nice but in truth EA lost my trust years ago, but even if I still trusted the company I wouldn't subscribe because I'd feel they own me more then I own my games.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Just get a PC and play the classic... Steam has sales and stuff and GOG and the masterpieces that wont disappoint , these are the only options left...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
The prophecy continues.... http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/08/06/activision-could-pursue-ea-access-like-subscription-plan-once-model-is-proven
Well, it was nice knowing you AAA gaming but at this point I'm out.

Because apart from the new Borderlands all your recent offerings can go eat a dick.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
First i will never pay for demos - they are their to tempt us to buy the full game. Its why early access is awful - now it can work for some games, but alot of companies will abuse it. I think DLC is a good thing, well was a good thing, was great when it was an extra a few months after a game was released. Was a nice extra. Now DLC is now made as part of the original and advertised before the original game is even released. It seems more a cash grab than when DLC was first released years ago. Before it was something extra for the fans, a fun surprise, now they just take parts that fans want. The popular characters or levels.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
cypher-raige said:
Am I the only one who doesn't care about EA's games?
Another Madden, another FIFA, another game to rival CoD (BF/MoH), another disappointing Bioware game, ANOTHER Need for Speed game every. single. year, why is this franchise still alive?
Its a complete mystery to me too. The only reason I can think of is that the games are cheap. Story? No. script? no. Recycled content? yes.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Is anyone else having any problems with the video?, i can't get it to load/start
Edit:Nvm,i got it to work

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
I was having a problem with it for a while getting the video to run

at the end of the day, as long as it stays a good deal... It's fine. Believe me this looks like the jab back at Gamestop for used games sales devs kinda needed, You have ea access? here's the game early, and you paid that 10% less, that the used price would be.

30 bucks a year, to damn much, 5 bucks the month that a bunch of titles you want comes out, fine.

Once content becomes Exclusive you have to be ea access to do it like free games with PS+ Then the BS alarms and it's time to drop it.

Gamers might as well abuse it for what it's worth now tho.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Oh come on it can't be that ba-

Jimothy Sterling said:
Aaaaaaand Electronic Arts proves Jimquisition's point within forty-seven minutes!
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5991063/madden-nfl-15-no-demo-ea-access
Oh...

Uh... Well, let's just calm down an-

Jimothy Sterling said:
The prophecy continues.... http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/08/06/activision-could-pursue-ea-access-like-subscription-plan-once-model-is-proven
Ooh...

Not sure it's decades old but I just thought the whole dangerous beast and miserable ends bit felt kind of applicable.
Also mini grey could be Minitiature Fantasy Willem Dafoe.

Ford-Prefect

Jun 26, 2008
I think this is a good thing, I already enjoy the escapist subscription giving me early access to Jimquistion videos and also an exclusive behind the scenes look a the making of Jim. I must say its inspirational and at such a bargain price.

2010's the decade of walled gardens as consumerism marches proudly on.

Pantalaimon

Apr 1, 2010
With every major publisher having his Steam knock-off, there is good chance that they also will emulate the EA Access model.
But there is hope once the publishers start competing, they need to attract players and side-goodies will only net you so much loyality.
I hope there will be new drive to make quality games, with publishers competing over having the best game library and not just the best extras. I think most gamers are savvy enough to see through cheap attemps to gain their brand loyalty.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Was it just me, or did that Angry Sim look like she stabbed the Happy Sim with her cup? I hope I'm not the only one who saw that.

YouMayCallMeAndrew

Aug 11, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Jim! Predict a Planescape sequel!
While not a sequel I think this is somewhat close to Planescape: Torment (I assume that's what you mean)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Wulfram77 said:
It's $5/$30. That doesn't require massive amounts of trust.

And, yeah, eventually they'll try to screw us. But they'll do that anyway. I don't see why it'll be worse with subscriptions.

And really, are we so enamoured of the current AAA publishing model? I'm not, so why fight to defend it? A subscription model could end up encouraging a less short term approach, if retaining customer loyalty becomes more important than covering holes in your cash flow with rushed releases.
you do realize that they won't put up their newest games there, right?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Our glorious (and gloriously buggerable) Prophet! Sing for us!

Heavens above, these Access experiments look like a rotten future deal. At this rate, all I'll have left is Dwarf Fortress.

gyrobot said:
Thanatos2k said:
What's most pathetic is you see Bowners defending this garbage simply because it's Bone only. And that's just sad seeing someone defend the (former) Worst Company in America. Don't they realize what they're doing to themselves?

Do you seriously believe EA when they claim they'll never shut off your access to the games? Are we just supposed to ignore a decade of EA shutting down games and servers and studios and apps and think they really mean it this time? They just shut down the FTP Ultima game, rendering any ACTUAL MONEY people spent on it null and void with no compensation.

EA is never, ever to be trusted.

I told people that eventually, some horrible company would start charging people for demos. And surprise surprise! EA is the one leading the charge. Wake up, people.
I kind of wait the day when Escapist mounts an invasion to EA with everything. Pitchforks, torches and a molotovs.
I can already picture our valiant defense of the studios that still remains free.

http://i.imgur.com/8mnMIqZ.png

"Your path of ruin ends here, scum!"

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I'd pay $30 a year to bum Jim.

But in all seriousness, yeah, I've figured this is the future, so instead of laying down my life for my corporate overlords, Imma make me and emulation box and live in the past.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Jim before you can say something is better than sex you should explain what sex is like so we have some basis to compare it to. Even describe what being kissed is like so those of us who haven't been kissed again have a basis. Also part of me loves how accurate you are but I'm also saddened because that just means we consumers are getting boned. Next time you have an accurate prophecy for us please make it a good one, we could use some good news every now and then, like a life preserver to keep our heads above the shit in the game industry's endless ocean of feces.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
A very good video that adequately describes the problems with this "service". I actually also find it ridiculous that they are holding hostage games even more than before with "5 day early release". What so now the subscription members become bug testers even more so than the original paying customers have been in the past? But what else to expect?

But that aside, I have an addition to what your saying here Jim. Another very good reason to be skeptical is the same reason to be skeptical for any subscription, what you get out of it all the time, not just now. Most subscription services are completely predicated on users NOT using them. Its not about the money you spend when your buying games... which only saves the user about a dollar anyway... its about the money they get in the down periods. Its free money for no effort. What happens when they don't release a game for 4 - 6 months but your still paying for it? That's free money for EA. There is little real value for what they're giving. And I suspect they'll increase the price in a year or two with the same bullshit excuse, inflation. If inflation was so prevalent then companies wouldn't start they're pricing at very low prices all the time. I see no reason to fuel this for the reasons Jim gives, especially the possible standard it sets of everyone trying to charge for a premium priced service, and the one I've added.

That being said, what benefit does this serve when there are multiple store fronts that give games for roughly the same price with no stipulations attached and have ridiculous sales, such as Steam and GoG?