Jimquisition: Emotions, Polygons, and Ellen Page

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Emotions, Polygons, and Ellen Page

This week, Father of Dreams and visionary game director David Cage hosts the show and tells us all about emotion. Emotion. Emotion.

Watch Video

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It´s always been fun how you could play a game like Yakuza or Catherine, where the characters looks like humans and actually expresses emotions, but when you play one of Cages brilliant games, it´s nothing but a freak show where you are starring into the uncanny valley. He uses so much money to try and recreate reality, though it might be quite impossible, while smarter companies characterises the faces slightly and achieves a lot better results using less effort.

He should focus on his writing instead, cause he really isn´t that talented a writer and desperately needs to improve if he is ever going to achieve his vision. I loved how Heavy Rain was 8 hours of Cage going: "CRY DAMMNIT, WHY WON`T YOU CRY??!!!". Most comical moment was the intro where we see a man standing on the street in the rain, crying... incidentally we never see him again, ever.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Hmm, I liked the subject matter, and it was a good parody, but I think it'd have worked better if perhaps the David Cage mockery was done for maybe the first minute or so, then the rest as normal.

It was good, I just felt the joke was wearing a little thin by the end.

MrBaskerville said:
It´s always been fun how you could play a game like Yakuza or Catherine, where the characters looks like humans and actually expresses emotions, but when you play one of Cages brilliant games, it´s nothing but a freak show where you are starring into the uncanny valley. He uses so much money to try and recreate reality, though it might be quite impossible, while smarter companies characterises the faces slightly and achieves a lot better results using less effort.
That's actually why anime characters have the faces they do. So emotion can be shown a lot more clearly. They don't look realistic, but to me this:

expresses a hell of a lot more emotion than this:

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
As someone who's never played any of David Cage's work, is his writing really that bad, or does he just get an exceptionally bad rep because he thinks he's some sort of transcendent genius but in reality isn't?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That was quite the emotional burn.

Add to all those emotional pixels Willem Dafoe, and we will finally achieve world peace.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
well that could have been said in quick bumper at the start, and we could have had something interesting to watch. I agree with Jim, I didn't need 7 minuets to get his point.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
And Jim Sterling's Eternal Crusade to get himself blocked from every game developer's Twitter account continues apace.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Vitagen said:
As someone who's never played any of David Cage's work, is his writing really that bad, or does he just get an exceptionally bad rep because he thinks he's some sort of transcendent genius but in reality isn't?
He´s the kind of writer that thinks that good drama is something where everyone is moping 99% of the time. And he´s also the kind of writer that thinks it´s good to use several extremely over the top serial killers as red herrings to cover up the true killer.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Legion said:
Hmm, I liked the subject matter, and it was a good parody, but I think it'd have worked better if perhaps the David Cage mockery was done for maybe the first minute or so, then the rest as normal.

Agree, I pretty much fell asleep after the first minute.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I don't understand all the hate for his games. I thought heavy rain was great, and the niche he fills isn't one being filled by any other triple AAA developer. Would you guys prefer if Quantic Dream just made another spunkgargleweewee games? Of course he's passionate about the games he makes and the style he makes them in so by what right do we have to be so cynical as to say that it's wrong. I don't want every game being like Heavy Rain but neither do I want every game being like my personal favorite genre, a RTS.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Legion said:

pretty much this exactly

I was about done with this episode halfway through. Yeah, it was ok at first, but once the point is conveyed, dragging it out really got old fast.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
He should focus on his writing instead, cause he really isn´t that talented a writer and desperately needs to improve if he is ever going to achieve his vision.
Thankfully, polygons can more than make up for shit writing.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks Jim, you've found that breaking point on the word "emotion". By the end it stopped registering as a word altogether.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Holy SHIT, I imagined Cage would have some problems with making a guest appearance on your show. Just how the hell did you convince him to do this?

zebon

Jul 31, 2010
Needed less David Cage impression and more discussing why his views are delusional.