Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

themind

Jan 22, 2012
It's another clear double standard, on top of being a complete waste of time.

If a gorgeous or even a not-so-gorgeous woman is pretending to like nerdy stuff so that she can mingle with a nerdy crowd for attention or to attract a boyfriend (or girlfriend?) what exactly is wrong with that? Women go to Comic-Cons and Anime gatherings, Magic: The Gathering tourneys, Sci-Fi conventions to meet people of the opposite sex; the same way a man may go to the ballet or dance class or show tunes or some equally "unmanly" venue to try to meet a girlfriend (or boyfriend?).

The problem with the fake nerd girl, as I see it, is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. The girl herself is no more out of place at a convention than I am at a girls rugby game. I barely know the rules of the game, am only vaguely familiar with the purpose of the game, don't know a damn thing about strategy, and can only name one team on the planet. If I went to rugby (say 15 years ago, to be fair), I would have done it to meet an athletically minded woman of strong character, that's the type of woman I was attracted to, and I could feasibly expect to find a woman like that at a rugby game. If I so happen to meet a woman I liked at this rugby game I would, if I thought it might help me get a date, pretend to know more about rugby than I do, name drop "scrum" or "centerfield" or some other rubbish that might make me sound like a moron, but if it secured me a date, so be it.

Here is where the eye of the beholder comes into play. If I go on the date with rugby girl but we don't hit it off in my mind, but she had a good time. She asks for a second date, but I waver and say maybe or no, than then I look like a "Fake Rugby Guy". It doesn't mean I meant to lead rugby girl on, but if she is obssessed with rugby but I find it only a mild diversion, there is no chance for success for a relationship of that type. I feel like a lot of nerd guys (hate the term, but go with me here) get burned by women with tepid interest in their hobbies. The girl was originally interested in your personality or looks, but if you don't have much more in common except you both like Skyrim, or a single Anime, or a single comic book character, than there is no point in persuing a relationship any further.

"Fake nerd Girl" unless she is being conniving and utterly insincere, wants a nerdy or Fake nerd Boy". It is generally accepted by most of my female friends that now that the "nerd" walls are down, or partially down, they make good boyfriends. Intelligent, courteous, adorable or endearing if they haven't had a girlfriend before, many times virgins (attractive for fellow virgins of the opposite sex), and generally more tolerant of others because they have faced bullying of some form or another so aren't as like to bully or demean the interested girl.

I think if you relax for a second, and try to reason it out, there are tons of "Nerd girls" who are looking the fit in, how a lot of us gamers were trying 15-20 years ago. Gotta stand up and be inclusive to the nerd girls of the world, expand our community, and maybe turn a few "Fake nerd Girls" into the legit thing, because for all of us, it started with just one game, one hand of Magic: The Gathering, one Star Trek episode, or one anime. Same for a lot of these young ladies. They are looking for a culture they can belong to, and if they don't know absolutely everything about something doesn't mean they don't belong in the community.

I like D&D, but I can get completely lost in a conversation with hardcore lovers of the game. Doesn't mean I'm trying to infiltrate their community or demean what they love, so relax, and next time cute "Fake nerd girl" annoys or otherwise disrupts you, remember, she may not be fake at all... and she's cute. :)

Best Regards

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
110% with Jim in this one. I feel like a teenager again with teens calling each other poser-this poser-that. So what now? POSER GAMER? Now, I've been pissed with the "true" gamer/nerd community for a while, a bunch of self-righteous pricks who can't even agree among themselves, they live as if the sense in life is taking an ENTERTAINMENT object and turning it into RELIGION, and then disagreeing about everything between one another. Really, when video game gets stressful go back to work, at least you're GETTING PAID for the stress. Now we also having them, apparently, claiming that the "being nerd" is such a serious life-style that they can pinpoint "posers" and exclude them as if they were harmful in some way. Let them pose, maybe one day a genuine interest will rise from there, and like Jim said, it's not like they are doing any harm...

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Fluoxetine said:
Its cute how you lick each other's wounds.
thats called 'fun', with friends you would maybe know that, but as noone is nerd or gamer enough for you...

Zipman

May 7, 2009
My problem is when people have been so exposed to gamer girls that they think nerdy girls don't exist and give my girlfriend a pat on the head and say "sure. A gamer girl, we've seen THOSE before"

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
Fluoxetine said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Fluoxetine said:
What no response to me? Is it because you haven't got one?
Other than you missed the point entirely and responded to an accusation I made toward a guy, no.
You accused her of having not possibly played your beloved core game soley on her gender, she proved you wrong. End of story.
Burn is super effective.

Fluoxetine becomes confused.

Fluoextine hurt himself in his confusion.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Fluoxetine said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Fluoxetine said:
Fluoxetine said:
Other than you missed the point entirely and responded to an accusation I made toward a guy, no.
You accused her of having not possibly played your beloved core game soley on her gender, she proved you wrong. End of story.
I see no proof. What, she linked her profile? So her boyfriend played it for her.
I don't have a boyfriend....

Where's the proof that YOU finished it exactly :p I'm waiting...

Grasping at straws much?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
GunsmithKitten said:
DigitalSushi said:
"Who is your hero?"
if the answer is anyone other than Gary Gygax or Gunpei Yokoi then FAKE NERD GIRL
More partial to Greg Costikyan on the tabletop front and Norman Sirotek on the video game front....am I still fake? *sad eyes*
To be honest I have no idea who they are, guess that makes me a ... FAKE NERD GUY
YEEEAHHHHHH!!!

see what I did there?

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Fluoxetine said:
Fluoxetine said:

And before you all jump on me like weeping children from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, the YOU is plural.
You lost, you have no arguments left, they have all been stomped. Take your hat and leave now, keep that rest of pride...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
My only issue with fake nerd girls is they try too hard for attention. Thats unattractive no matter who you are. The same nerdy boy in 90s high school sit com shows that followed behind the jocks getting his ass kicked and pranked for trying to force his way into a group instead of being himself is the same reason fake nerdy girls deserve the same treatment. Don't try to be something your not.

Just be yourself, please thats all I want. If you want my attention just walk up to my geeky ass and say I'm hot or something. Seriously, its not that hard to get our attention... well... as long as I'm not in the middle of a boss fight.