Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
"Like the evangelical christian who thinks atheists and Muslims spend every minute of their waking days dreaming of ways to re-kill Jesus."

Hmm, yes, it is like that, like the atheist who thinks evangelical Christians spend every minute of their waking days obsessing over what Atheists and Muslims think.

The irony of this is off the scale, but then, Christians are politically safe mock.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I bet is was a s*** eating fake nerd girl that canceled Firefly...because I've run out of people to blame.

Anyway, was there an update to the proposal? Should have had Cruelim Defoe ask. If she said no, at least it would have been bizarre and funny.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Fraudulence always angers people.

Although Sexy women exploiting sad lonely men, isn't something new. Just this time around they are doing so the nerd/geek community. So happens we'd like to call them out on it.

Though, i don't find it particularly bad if some sexy lady wants to show cleavage on her stream, be it a real gamer or not. They are simply eye candy, you treat them as such.

Vanquishuer

Twilight Vanquisher
Mar 5, 2009
I dont hate them, just find it uncomfortable when you attempt to chat one up, only to learn that they know nothing about the shirt their wearing. As in its a Mario shirt, yet they have no idea who Peach is.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
WAIT, WHAT?
There are girls to pretend to be nerds?
Especially gaming nerds?
WHY?
We mostly are dungeon dwelling solitary morlocs who:
bathe only because smell starts to bother neighbors
have unhealthy skin color because of regular all nighters and going outside rarely
have waistline powered by snacks and softdrinks
have atrophied muscles (except hands- those can crush bricks)
looking as unappealing for opposite gender as possible
wears strange and often dirty clothes
not to mention social skills lower than concrete
[disclaimer for those who like to nitpick: that was stereotypical exaggeration for proving point]

WHY IN THE HELL ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE LIKE THAT???
Are they are insane? Or stupid? Or stupinsane?
Man, this world is getting more and more crazy :/

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
longboardfan said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Smilomaniac said:
AHAHAHAHA.

So you are okay with every single other gender related post in this thread but mine that is somehow magically not okay? Seems Legit.

longboardfan said:
How are these things hurting the gaming industry exactly, by making them a more inclusive and less sexist place?

How dare you push you way into a female space like My Little Pony and start making demands that the characters conform more to your male ideals! Yeah see how ridiculous that sounds?

Gaming doesn't belong to men any more than books or film so stop acting like we are some sort of new found plague when a lot of us have been gaming for 25 years or more okay?

We aren't interested in geeky stuff because of YOU we are interested because we enjoy it. Wanting to make changes and fighting for those changes just means we care about the medium.
As males generally don't go in and demand the environment change to suit their needs or wants
You just demanded that all women Shut up about "what they want in games", or get out in your last post.
Also, to what you said about Bronies not trying to change MLP. As a male fan of MLP, all I have to say to that is: Derpy Hooves.

There have always been men and women in games. We have to stop this whole boys club crap, and this bull about ":( women are changing games" because it isn't good for anyone and it's just pathetic.

The "plague" on gaming isn't from girls liking games, or girls pretending to like games.
The plague on gaming, is made of people who don't want games to change(at all or ever), and don't want EVERYONE to play games.
As Jim said, the "Fake Nerd Girls" are not hurting anyone. People making it more difficult for ANYONE to get into games are doing damage to the community. In fact, I'd say the things you listed as "women's fault", (for example: The sexism bans for X-box), are far more the fault of those kinds of people rather than women who want to play games. For it to be women's fault, they would have to be the onky ones who were offended by the comments. That isn't so.

Again, it's pathetic, and it needs to end. Games don't belong to men, or anyone. They are for Everyone.

:/ Unless you have a seizure problem, but even then you can find a game that isn't so, "flashy".

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm frustrated with ANYONE that promotes themselves as something they are not. But hey, it's awesome that it's cool to be a nerd now. Hopefully my kids won't get beat up or harassed for it in school like I was.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
most people are fake to some degree in that they might pretend more knowledge or nerdiness than they truly have as such fake nerd girls are fine with me since they probably have some nerd quality even if its just cosplay. What gets me though are the obvious fakes such as the girls that have pictures taken holding the controller or screw driver wrong or have the wrong game on the screen than whats in the console but thats more the photographers fault than the girls.

TurboPanda

Apr 19, 2010
I think the problem is not so much with guys hating the hot girls, it's more to with that people hate being led on. (not just gamers, I'm talking about everyone). Every time I see a booth babe or an attractive women in a game advert I can't help but think of a board of advertising executives saying "Hey, you know what those nerds don't get much of? Sex with hot chicks! If we fill this advert full of latex clad nuns with assault rifles then those dumb nerds will surely buy our game!!!" Pretty much most male gamers above the age of 18 (and in some cases younger) can see right through this and tell what's going on. It's blatant pandering to the sex starved nerd stereotype and an insult to anyone who plays games because they genuinely enjoy them. In a culture so willing to exploit our supposed lack of sex I guess it's only natural that some guys feel skeptical when a woman claims she actually has an interest.

Personally i think these are just growing pains. As gaming slowly turns from a niche market into a mainstream form of entertainment it's natural that more women (including the hot ones) take an interest. Give it a few years and this probably won't be an issue anymore.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I actually disagree due to reasons beyond gaming, comics, general "geek culture" etc and beyond genders.

I simply don't like fake people. Posers, wannabes, whatever you call them are people who think little of a topic and thus those involved if they think it's justifiable to outright lie (and considered it achievable) to manipulate others for their own means.

I don't know anything about sport so I don't pretend to for attention.

"Fake Nerd Girl" as a concept seems to be an issue created and named individually and so the points raised by Jim are valid in this regard.

I personally think there is no "Fake Nerd Girl" issue, it's just a part of shallow liars that have always existed and now it's our turn.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
That part at the end was just amazing, good job! XD

But I think you may have misinterpreted why some people might be put off by super models trying to sell games to them, and it doesn't have anything to do with who is and isn't hard core enough to be in our little club. Of course people are a little suspicious of seeing a beautiful person trying to sell them ANY product, why wouldn't they be? It has nothing to do with gaming, girls or gaming girls at all. It's more like "Wait... whats that company trying to pull now that they've resorted to this". People question the legitimacy of anyone trying to sell them something when it's clear the spokesperson is being paid to be there because they are pretty. You can't really blame anyone for that suspicion, either. In the US they constantly warp advertising with pretty faces, and it's usually to get you to stop focusing on something they don't want you to realize (which screams deception). Like, for example, what beer actually does to you. Hint: an epic party full of super models doesn't magically appear when you open the can, regardless of what the commercials might subconsciously lead to you believe. No, the more likely case is your head will probably be in the toilet the next morning, all by your lonesome. The commercials don't show that part, and they will do everything in their power to make sure you don't think about it, even if it means filming the commercial at the Playboy Mansion on a weekend.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Why game girls are offending?

Okay since you didn't do any research doing this video I shall attempt to explain why they are so offensive, now first off let me state I love that women are getting into video games and I think that's a great thing.

Let me start of by saying being a gamer/nerd hasn't always been easy as you stated in your video you could get beat up in school for saying that and as such I have had my fare share myself defending my position as a proud gamer while others didn't even dare said they played games. Now that's many years ago but I still have the memories and this is why it pisses me so much off when a dumb broad comes along says she is gamer, and instantly getting attention, not by gamers but by others looking the gamer culture. She didn't do any of the hardship she didn't do shit, and she makes us all look like douches.

Shiro No Uma

Nov 10, 2009
Is the anger towards fake nerds more akin to the feeling people have wards "fair weather fans?" Is it the idea that it lessens your nerd achievements because it's trendy to be nerdy now but you have judged them to be less of a nerd because of your standing in nerdom?

This isn't subject just to the gaming culture as Jim pointed out. I meet a lot of people wearing a band tee shirts of groups from the 90's who, when asked, don't actually know the band or the body of their work. It doesn't bother me though.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eh, it pisses me off.
Never seen a dude be accused of being fake.
So, only females can be fake?

I've been accused of being fake, and so has every female gamer I know.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about it is the implication that I somehow am seeking male nerd attention. It strikes me as rather egotistical.

Boo-hoo you got bullied for being a nerd.
So did I.
I am not gonna put up with people trying to push me out of my own community.
Shit rolls downhill, if you were bullied for something, perpetuating it by insisting ladies cannot be geeks or quizzing females automatically makes you an asshole.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
mrhateful said:

Okay since you didn't do any research doing this video I shall attempt to explain why they are so offensive, now first off let me state I love that women are getting into video games and I think that's a great thing.

Let me start of by saying being a gamer/nerd hasn't always been easy as you stated in your video you could get beat up in school for saying that and as such I have had my fare share myself defending my position as a proud gamer while others didn't even dare said they played games. Now that's many years ago but I still have the memories and this is why it pisses me so much off when a dumb broad comes along says she is gamer, and instantly getting attention, not by gamers but by others looking the gamer culture. She didn't do any of the hardship she didn't do shit, and she makes us all look like douches.
Sounds like a good reason for female video gamers to be mad about poser girls, because everything y'all male gamers been through - at least you had each other while you joined the rest in crapping on us so... how about y'all build a bridge and get up over it already.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
mrhateful said:

I wasn't aware that being a gamer meant being in an elite club where hazing is required to obtain membership. It sounds like your reasoning is your problem and yours alone.

Also, I like how your posts starts with you saying "women are getting into video games" like they weren't into them before recently. Clearly YOU didn't do any research on the matter.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Phasmal said:
Eh, it pisses me off.
Never seen a dude be accused of being fake.
So, only females can be fake?

I've been accused of being fake, and so has every female gamer I know.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about it is the implication that I somehow am seeking male nerd attention. It strikes me as rather egotistical.

Boo-hoo you got bullied for being a nerd.
So did I.
I am not gonna put up with people trying to push me out of my own community.
Shit rolls downhill, if you were bullied for something, perpetuating it by insisting ladies cannot be geeks or quizzing females automatically makes you an asshole.
Ditto. When anyone learns that I play a lot of computer games they get this look: I like to call it the 'what's wrong with her? Is she secretly a man? No, she's probably just lying' look and it drives me mental. Similarly, the fact that people feel you can tell a fake geek just by looking at her is absurd. It's the worst kind of judgemental bullshit, but people feel they can get away with it because the people they usually judge to be fake are people who are fairly popular/mildly attractive/well-dressed/confident and/or female, and so have automatically been dealt a better hand in life and should be ok to get some insults sent their way. It's ridiculous.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
Poser girls tend to have a negative impact on the rest of us because we then end up having to 'prove ourselves' for some reason. I've had countless people ask me to speak on the mic just to prove that I am actually a girl and even then some say it's "my sister" and so on. I don't really get why it's so hard to believe?

It also sucks that some males think all women just got into gaming recently. I've been a gamer for about 20 years and I'm sure many others have been playing games just as long.

I feel that the video could've definitely gone into a bit more depth; you only scratched the surface Jim. Hoping you maybe continue in an article or another video.

Sheo_Dagana said:
Also, I like how your posts starts with you saying "women are getting into video games" like they weren't into them before recently.
Darn it, you beat me to it.