Jimquisition: Fee to Pay

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Fee to Pay

It's time to talk about why "optional" microtransactions in games aren't really optional, and why they're especially gruesome in games we already paid for at retail.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So once again it would seem the optimal solution would be to burn the Publishers in a fire. ...or at least the executives that run them.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
I think the people who are worst affected by the fee to pay are the ones who could only afford just the game only at bargain prices, and have no money for the fees.

Being like that when I was growing up, that shit hurt me the most when games frequently remind you you're poor

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jim, what could they really sell you if they added such elements in a Dynasty Warrior game anyway? An ability to one-shot Lu Bu? The ability to climb ladders faster? Mounting horses in midair like in the opening sequence?

Then again, I am sure they'd just use it for uninspired "quality of life" crap. If John Riccitiello published a Dynasty Warriors game he'd probably let players pay a dollar to add an extra ten seconds to the Musou.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Sadly, I can believe all to well that the developers don't want any part in this. I used to work for a high street chain who shall remain nameless. Said chain mandates from head office that every customer must be asked whether they want "Any of our special offers" from the till. Needless to say, the customers usually say no. Some are more vitriolic in their dismissal. But when a member of the board was being interview on the radio or TV or something (I forget which), someone phoned in the question on why they insist all cashiers ask that question every time. Their response? "On no, our cashiers LIKE asking you that. They ENJOY it."

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I have no problem with free to play games but when you put cash shops in games you have to pay up front for, that's when I call BS! Putting a cash shop in WOW when you still need to subscribe, makes zero sense until you look back at last's weeks news of the game losing subscribers. So just like Jim said Blizzard is trying to leach the diehard wow fans for all there worth(if they want to and the word is even they hate the idea of a cash shop) until having to have wow go f2p while blizzard is kicking and screaming.

For the record, not to play devil advocate but when I did play wow, I did buy a mount for all my characters through battle net but that was only so I didn't have to grind out gold in game for a F***ing mount, since I suck at crafting, and use the in game money I saved towards paying my class trainer.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
This is why I am getting into the indi scene rather then even attempt to hop aboard one of the sinking ships that are the current giants of the industry. Not only will I not get to make the games I want to make, the way I want to make them, but all of this has the stench of death. Nothing could be so obviously desperate and indicative of a coming crash then the ridiculous things the industry is currently doing just to try and stay afloat.

I want to make games one day, but I don't want any part of this "house of cards" that makes up the industry of today.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Fappy said:
Jim, what could they really sell you if they added such elements in a Dynasty Warrior game anyway? An ability to one-shot Lu Bu? The ability to climb ladders faster? Mounting horses in midair like in the opening sequence?

Then again, I am sure they'd just use it for uninspired "quality of life" crap. If John Riccitiello published a Dynasty Warriors game he'd probably let players pay a dollar to add an extra ten seconds to the Musou.
Like I said, the "buy level ups for gold" thing is something that sounds designed ENTIRELY for free-to-play. Never used to, but it'd be the perfect way to add microtransactions into DW, given how many characters they are and how long it can take to get them all to level 99.

However, since DW is a real videogame, it didn't do that.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I'm actually curious about your opinion of Guild Wars 2. It matches a similar kind of model... you buy the game at $60, and it has microtransactions all over in it like many F2P MMOs... and yet, it seems to do it right. Most of the items you buy are cosmetics, services, and convenience items. At the same time, however, in-game gold can be purchased with Gems (Money currency), and vice versa.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Weresquirrel said:
Sadly, I can believe all to well that the developers don't want any part in this. I used to work for a high street chain who shall remain nameless. Said chain mandates from head office that every customer must be asked whether they want "Any of our special offers" from the till. Needless to say, the customers usually say no. Some are more vitriolic in their dismissal. But when a member of the board was being interview on the radio or TV or something (I forget which), someone phoned in the question on why they insist all cashiers ask that question every time. Their response? "On no, our cashiers LIKE asking you that. They ENJOY it."
Ew. That reminds me of how some abusive relationships work.

Never really liked the idea of free to play elements in games you do pay to own, but this has sold me on the idea that they shouldn't ever be used in non-FTP games.
At least not when trading on convenience, or power. Because then it's just too tempting to abuse that, and I don't trust anyone not to abuse that kind of influence.

Thank God for you, Jim. =w= b

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Chessrook44 said:
I'm actually curious about your opinion of Guild Wars 2. It matches a similar kind of model... you buy the game at $60, and it has microtransactions all over in it like many F2P MMOs... and yet, it seems to do it right. Most of the items you buy are cosmetics, services, and convenience items. At the same time, however, in-game gold can be purchased with Gems (Money currency), and vice versa.
Guild Wars 2 is an interesting case, especially since it's also an MMO, which brings with it its own set of considerations. On the whole, I feel like GW2 is full of examples of how to both do F2P *and* MMOs correctly. I've not spent one thin dime on anything on GW2, but had a total blast, and if I get back into it, I may well buy things -- not because I feel I have to, but because I want to.

And that's when you know a game has done microtransactions correctly -- when you want to go out of your way to buy a thing, not when you were bullied and funneled into doing it.

Chaos42

Feb 25, 2010
i refuse to play fee games like this -the problem i have is that its set up so you can't make any real progress without paying. i tried playing the shin megami tensai one and not only was it buggy as hell but it also had nothing i could get that would be anywere near as good as the pay items. all the ones in game are bad -they don't work well and don't do much damage at all and the game is built so you have to buy the other ones or just get killed over and over again. plus people seem willing to buy this shit and constantly get pillaged. so i say we ignore these game all together its games with that kind of system are evil and should be shunned.

If i buy something i don't want to keep buying it-its the same reason i don't like on disk dlc

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jimothy Sterling said:
Fappy said:

Like I said, the "buy level ups for gold" thing is something that sounds designed ENTIRELY for free-to-play. Never used to, but it'd be the perfect way to add microtransactions into DW, given how many characters they are and how long it can take to get them all to level 99.

However, since DW is a real videogame, it didn't do that.
This reminds me of a recent trend I've noticed in some 3DS RPGs that sell "grind" DLC. I suppose that's sort of the same principle. If you're not familiar with it it's not much of a departure from what you discussed in this episode. Basically you drop an extra $3 and are transported to the land of super fast grinding (such was the case for FE: Awakening and SMT IV). I'm kind of on the fence about it as these kinds of shortcuts never existed in JRPGs before (that I am aware of) and the game doesn't seem balanced around their existence. Then again, I kind of feel that it sullies the spirit of the game a bit.

Would you say it qualifies as a dirty money-grubbing tactic, or can it be justified?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Developers being forced to include freekium elements, and then subsequently forced to say that it was all their idea is honestly the part of this whole pile of smelly poo that sickens me the most.

Edit:
Fappy said:
This reminds me of a recent trend I've noticed in some 3DS RPGs that sell "grind" DLC. I suppose that's sort of the same principle. If you're not familiar with it it's not much of a departure from what you discussed in this episode. Basically you drop an extra $3 and are transported to the land of super fast grinding (such was the case for FE: Awakening and SMT IV). I'm kind of on the fence about it as these kinds of shortcuts never existed in JRPGs before (that I am aware of) and the game doesn't seem balanced around their existence. Then again, I kind of feel that it sullies the spirit of the game a bit.

Would you say it qualifies as a dirty money-grubbing tactic, or can it be justified?
Dirty money grubbing, hands-down. I do not want to play a game that's set up for that sort of thing.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Jim you are right on the bloody button with this episode and im glad you brought it up.

Publishers know damn well that games are addictive and they are looking at mainstreaming microtransactions in games the same way the tobacco industry looks at smokers.

This is sadly going to infest the console market bit by bit until paying more in a game for a game you have already paid for becomes the norm.

zacattack14

Apr 3, 2010
On the subject of said unnamed publisher. It's not theory. They've done it already. (See Final Fantasy IV: The After Years) We're too late.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
JarinArenos said:
Developers being forced to include freekium elements, and then subsequently forced to say that it was all their idea is honestly the part of this whole pile of smelly poo that sickens me the most.

Edit:
Fappy said:

Dirty money grubbing, hands-down. I do not want to play a game that's set up for that sort of thing.
Like I said, having played both games I sited I can tell you neither are balanced around the grind DLCs. I didn't even know about them on my first playthrough of Fire Emblem and the only reason I can think of that you'd need them in SMT IV is if you wanted to cheese it up with a level 99 Pixie or didn't want to spend the time grinding the money for the end-game super items (that are not necessary, but cool).