Jimquisition: Five Scary Games For Halloween Probably

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Five Scary Games For Halloween Probably

A list video? Here? Dr. Jonathan Crane has gone too far this year.

Watch Video

contla

Jan 17, 2012
For some reason Scarecrow looks like Oogie from A nightmare before Christmas.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
contla said:
For some reason Scarecrow looks like Oogie from A nightmare before Christmas.
I forgot the drawstring under the hood this year, which pulls the sackcloth together and makes more of a head. So, this year it's Scarecrow-by-way-of-Oogie.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I've had Lone Survivor since the Vita version came out, but I still haven't played it. I'll correct this mistake this week.

I'll throw in The Suffering as a suggestion. A little rough around the edges, but still a really great action-horror series.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I wish Jim wouldn't try to be funny, deliberately bad is still-

Oh, wait, that's the Trapdoor theme. Nevermind

Anyway, I suppose Jim can't recommend anything by that Croshaw person, but the XDAS games were well regarded. My favourite was 7 days a Skeptic, but that's just me.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I hadn't heard of Aliens Infestation until this video. Seems like a cool game, thanks for the heads-up Dr. Crane!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Love that clock tower game, its another villian that takes so much joy with killing like Freddy Kruger and Angela from Sleepaway Camp 1&2....oh and Chucky. :)

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
now im glad i rescued that copy of clock tower 3 from the charity shop ^^ something scary to play on halloween instead of running thru costume quest again.

also, Lone Survivor has made it to WiiU as well if anyone in interested.
i also reccomend, if you can get them

Eternal Darkness: Sanitys requem for gamecube and Call of Chtullu: dark corners of the earth on xbox(original) for some old style fun.
got to admit, when a game gives you a BsoD from windows2000 and you are reaching for the pen to get the crash code (on a gamecube, no less lol) its got you.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
That ClockTower scene was ridiculous. Not scary, RIDICULOUS! Like that masked man would have been played by Bruce Campbell if they ever made the movie.

And I think the problem with the list is you went for the "Not Obvious" horror games and the horror in your list isn't well...obvious. The Alien game looks kinda fun and maybe a little stressful, but like X-Comm or 40k Chaos Gate, permanent squad death isn't overly scary.
The other? Maybe the fear just isn't obvious and that's a thing. I mean come on! A typing tutor! And a comedy one at that!
Might as well thrown Dead Rising in there. I mean you can ride around a tricycle in a pink tutu with a chainsaw paddle, but hey, zombies, am I right?

I'm not saying the idea of a Not Obvious horror list is bad. I bloody well like it! I guess I just can't get over how silly that ClockTower scene was! I mean come on! He was a WW1 storm trooper/santa claus hybrid with acid! That's like the silliest idea I've heard all day!

Bke

May 13, 2013
I must say another kinda creepy game that I got on GOG a while back was "Neverending nightmares". The name is phoning it in a bit but it's damn fun.

Jim must be so sad having a guy wearing a sack break into his house once a year and do all his work while he himself undergoes... weird torture. There's a novel in there somewhere

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
My guess for next Halloween: a list of scary business practices game's companies are using that are slowly destroying the industry. I'm not just saying that in hopes of The Scrarecrow and Miniature Fantasy Willem Defoe teaming up to destroy Miniature Fantasy Ubisoft by the end of it, nope.

OT: Halloween will indeed be made better by the Typing of the Dead.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
HA! Beautiful episode Jim! Don't let people say you didn't put in effort this year. ;D

Also, great stinger at the end from Oogie Scarecrow. =w= b

Thank God for Halloween! [sub][sub][sub] And Jim. :)[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Thank you again, Mississippi's favourite son. You know what I found surprisingly scary? The first level from Tomb Raider. Those wolves...that music. Ooh, fuckin' 'ell.

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
okay....that acid bathtub cutscene....if it's something that makes me extremely squicky is extreme violence/torture/mutilation......oh well who needs to sleep at night.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
So that last joke is just asking for trouble jim. Pretty soon we are going to have to hashtag scarecrowgate. STOP BLOWING GAME CRITIC CRITICS FOR GOOD REVIEWS!!! :p