Jimquisition: Free To Wait

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Amen to that! I got fed up with that garbage with Tiny Tower and I haven't played games like it since.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Hot. Dayum. Dat Mic Drop. No truer words have I heard/read relating to the business in a long while. Thank god for jim indeed.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Something tells me that sources of criticism and consumer information in this industry need to be made way more public than they are. And I'm talking WAY more public. Television ads, flyers, whatever. We need to let consumers know that there are people on their side that are working to expose shitty, exploitative practices.

Because while we might be aware of this stuff because we're already on this site, there are many more people who aren't aware, meaning that companies can still get away with horrible business practices such as free to wait.

Critics are always on the consumer side, no matter what. They'll tell you the flaws in a game. They'll tell you whether it's a rip off or not. Whether it's gordon ramsay making sure shit food doesn't leave the kitchen or yahtzee and jim here frantically nit picking at games so that people know all the flaws before they get a game, making sure the consumer is informed is important. We don't like wasting our money. Critics help us not waste our money. More people need that kind of help.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I can't help but wonder if people are actively spending money on the games that use free to play responsibly just to spite the people who make the shitty ones like Dungeon Keeper et all.

Morthasa

Jun 22, 2011
I was really looking forward to and hoping for an episode like this one, ever since I saw the Dungeon Keeper Mobile Squirty Play.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's a bit like the experience and ip boosts in league of legends only that league of legends holds relatively minor stat boosts ransom so you're on a slightly unequal battlefield when you're not on level 30 and don't have a full runepage while games like DK mobile hold the entire game ransom.
The next step beyond already annoying and despicable monetized skinner boxes.
Let's see if free 2 play can step even lower than that.

I'm not even mad at DK though.
It gave exposure to war of the overworld which looks to be the actual game dungeon keeper fans such as myself have been waiting for and the fact that it doesn't come from EA is only a bonus.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Jim, shut up. You have nothing but scorn for every single free-to-play game with time delays (and their developers) while there are games out there that are absolutely sublime and happen to use that model correctly and in an inoffensive manner. Have the dignity to properly inform yourself before you start spewing bile over an entire idea.

(For the record, the good games I was thinking of were Fallen London and Eliminate Pro, and while I don't play many FTP/mobile games both of them handle the "free-to-wait" model in two different and equally good ways)

xEightBitPlayerx said:
I hope this game model dies a quick death; Who would support something like this?
Because some games do it well (google "Fallen London" because all my links break) and the developers producing that content deserve money.

EDIT: The mike drop at the end made me squee a bit. Glad that's back.

Xellos14

Jan 16, 2014
Surprised there was no mention of the rating filters supposedly put on the android version, where once you get out of the tutorial it asks if you think the game is a five, or anything else. Five ratings posts directly to the google page as a review and anything else redirects you to email EA. Though I'm not sure if that dubious practice is still there.

Great episode though, figured with everything happening in the last week that this fresh pile of EA bile would warrant an upload, even with the frequent episodes already.

contla

Jan 17, 2012
xEightBitPlayerx said:
I hope this game model dies a quick death; Who would support something like this?
It can be done well."Triple Town" on IOS was essentially it's demo. You start with a certain number of moves. When you run out you can wait for some moves to regen or pay a dollar for more moves than you start off with or pay $5 for infinite moves and 3 other maps. It's developers like Ea and Activision who take advantage of it then other talentless studios rush to copy them. I can guarantee Glu,chillingo, or gameloft are this second making a free to wait flappy bird clone, and it sickens me.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CAPTCHA: game is up

Truer words were never spoken, Captcha.

Honestly, this is the reason why I am glad for games like Maple Story and why games like Candy Crush are bollocks. I just want to play, damn you!

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Free To Wait

It's the business model that's sweeping the world, and it's absolutely disgusting.

Watch Video
All right.

Developers are beholden to publishers, publishers are required by law to be greedy bags of dicks, consumers are apparently too stupid to stop spending money on the goddamned things, and you and I don't matter.

How do we fix this?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Bravo Jimothy, bravo. Thank God for you indeed.

You pretty much nailed it, I belive in the good F2P model, like Path of Exile, Dota 2, Tribes: Ascend, Team Fortress 2, RIFT, TERA, Aion, Everquest 2... IMO, these F2P models are some of the best, if not the best there are (add Loadout in there just for completion, I haven't played it yet, but it looks like a lot of fun).

On the other hand, I look into my phablet and... ugh... that Simpsons game... I still regret installing that POS for wasting 30 minutes of my life.

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
WarpZone said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Free To Wait

It's the business model that's sweeping the world, and it's absolutely disgusting.

Watch Video
All right.

Developers are beholden to publishers, publishers are required by law to be greedy bags of dicks, consumers are apparently too stupid to stop spending money on the goddamned things, and you and I don't matter.

How do we fix this?
Don't play the game. Fuck em. Support the games that you like and leave the rest.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Holy shit, these free games are making me not play them. That's just the WORST! When you don't spend money to play a game that's really not all that immersive, and you don't get to play it all the time. I mean MY GOD. And then they take it to "AAA" games where they're like, "Hey, if you give us money we'll give you better stuff. You don't really need it, but it makes things go faster." As gamers, we can't be expected to THINK for ourselves or have any sort of consumer instincts or even have some fucking patience. We NEED gratification instantly! Otherwise we'd be building up an actual life skill or bettering ourselves somehow. Clearly the prominence of cheap little one off games we DON'T HAVE TO PAY A DIME FOR is the worst thing to happen to everyone. Even worse, it's infecting other media now. Did you know I have to wait a WHOLE WEEK for a new Walking Dead show? And I PAY for cable; it's not even free, like these games are.

I mean fuck's sake, Jim, it doesn't help the media perception of gamers as giant children when you're treating them as a bunch of lemmings or Family Guy's James Woods, who can't help but follow the trail of candy to wherever it leads because they have no concept of money or willpower. It's just pathetic now.