Jimquisition: Free To Wait

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CarbonJames said:
Gamers need to embrace this model, not reject it.

Why? Because big pubs are screwing you. They are pulling back and not giving you demos of games like they should anymore.

I'm an oldschool dev. I remember Doom shareware. I remember demos. That's what F2P can be.
While I understand the sentiment behind your point, it can never quite be how shareware was.
Because you could keep the demo, while F2P games as designed and marketed as an ongoing service.

This is problematic because F2P games bank on user investment; time and/or money, which in turn, is (among other things) driving the market further and further away from selling full games. Instead, the business is shifting towards selling disposable thrills. Or services that penalize the player with time wasting bullshit...even when they're ponying up the cash.

In any case, with service-centric games, the holding company for that game is eventually going to fold, or move onto something newer to recapture the attention of a market with an rapidly decreasing attention span. All that time, money and effort you put into the F2P game will only be a memory. (this has happened to me with a F2P MMO before, and it's still the most soul-crushing thing I've ever experienced in my 25 years of video gaming.)

Worse, this cycle is going to intensify as F2P games become more popular, with more frequent releases all competing for the attention of the masses. Heavier and more "mercenary" monetization tactics are going to take over as each game has less and less time to turn a profit. (until the silent majority finally rejects the model en-masse, causing that part of the market to crash)

By now, I'm anticipating you or someone reading this to quote me with something like "Well, the model isn't for everyone."
While I concede that is true at a conceptual level, I do have a couple of parting comments about it:

If you're a gamer just looking for some time killing filler or a quick thrill, then the F2P or "Freemium" model is tailor-made for you. Congratulations, you're currently relevant to big business gaming. I hope that you don't experience the sudden snap-back I did, but given the current state of mainstream gaming and the direction it's going, it seems likely.

If you're a gamer who is just looking for a good game without artificial time wasting or over-monetized bullshit, well, you had better go indie or go away because the primary market has little to no need of you (and ever less need of you each year). Consider a new hobby. I know am.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
deathbydeath said:
Jim, shut up. You have nothing but scorn for every single free-to-play game with time delays (and their developers) while there are games out there that are absolutely sublime and happen to use that model correctly and in an inoffensive manner. Have the dignity to properly inform yourself before you start spewing bile over an entire idea.

(For the record, the good games I was thinking of were Fallen London and Eliminate Pro, and while I don't play many FTP/mobile games both of them handle the "free-to-wait" model in two different and equally good ways)

xEightBitPlayerx said:
I hope this game model dies a quick death; Who would support something like this?
Because some games do it well (google "Fallen London" because all my links break) and the developers producing that content deserve money.

EDIT: The mike drop at the end made me squee a bit. Glad that's back.
Fallen London is less of a game and more of a "Click here, then here, then here and we'll see ya tomorrow" moment.

A game should be enjoyable and accommodating to the player and shouldn't force the player to either wait or force the player to be their marketing team for them. Not to mention that the game requires several actions to finish a single storyline or mission and the prices for items are extremely high for no reason. Long story sort, Fallen London may not be as bad, but it is still a poor excuse for a free to play model when I can just boot up League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Swtor or even WoW.

Vedli

Jul 5, 2013
deathbydeath said:
Vedli said:
You know in future maybe instead of acting like a crying six year old you could show examples about how "free to wait" can be done well because by starting out by being rude and telling someone to "shut up" and to "inform themselves" when the vast majority of this model (to an outsider like me anyway) does indeed seem to be quite exploitative, makes you look like an hysterical moron who's opinion shouldn't be taken seriously (I'm assuming you are someone who get a little too emotional over the subject and posted something from a place of passion rather than logic). I don't type this to be mean or lash out but you really did hurt your own argument by lashing out rather then calmly showing examples of the model done right.
... You call me out for opening a post with an insult/petulant comment and yet you do the same thing that I did. High five, bro. (Clarification: The first three words were written in something like an exasperated sigh; if I were speaking it, then I would have used the same tone and phrase to address my uncle when he gets drunk and starts ranting about the gays again)

Vedli said:
Secondly though I would ask the question, would either of the games you mentioned be any worse off if they removed the timers?
I have no clue how Fallen London would work if you removed the timers, but it would most likely cease being fun and cause players to get extremely bored extremely easily. Eliminate Pro, on the other hand, would remain pretty much exactly the same, except the devs wouldn't be able to make any money from it. I suggest you try them both; they are free, after all.
Which only proves my point doesn't it? By surrendering the high ground and opening with a insult/petulant comment I undermined my own argument. The point I will admit was a bit clumsily delivered. And this isn't your drunk uncle here. This a man who has been a champion for the mobile market in the past who has seen a favorite property from the past ruined in order to make a quick buck. You can see why this would leave Jim very angry? If you disagree then thats fine but (if you would excuse another clumsy analogy) you don't get to be the good guy just for fighting the bad guy, not if you use his same methods (not calling Jim a bad guy or anything, calm down everyone).

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Arawn said:
3:10 pretty much sums up any F2P (free to play) game, not just mobile or tablet games. I mean those PC F2P and console games too. You're given money that's almost useless by the truck full, and covet the token that one must pay to acquire. For the most part I'll play most F2P games up to the point where said bought currency is REQUIRED to progress. At that point the game is over. It's almost a game I play within in such games; how long will it let me pay before making me buy pretend money. For most the shadow looms over me fairly quickly in others it's the elephant in the room that blend in with the grey paint; I know it's there, but don't care since I can't see it. The games that do F2P (in this case free to pay) well make the game itself enjoyable even though some content it hidden behind that pay wall. These forced waiting games pretty much build the wall brick by brick as you play slowing trying to coax you towards their storefront.
false

dota 2 and TF2 have no such currencies

in path of exile and loadout premium currency is only used for cosmetics

in league of legends you can buy all champions without using the premium currency and Lord of the Rings Online allows you to earn premium currency for free

and those are only the ones ive played

from my lmited knowledge, it seems that mobile games and facebook games are the most guilty of abusing the F2P model

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
NuclearKangaroo said:
false

in league of legends you can buy all champions without using the premium currency and Lord of the Rings Online allows you to earn premium currency for free

from my lmited knowledge, it seems that mobile games and facebook games are the most guilty of abusing the F2P model
That's still 2 types of currency. One of these currency you have to purchase. And there are items or products that can only be obtained with that purchased currency. Yes, some games do allow you to earn the purchased currency for "free" in game, but at a much lower rate than buying directly. Marvel puzzle quest on Steam does that. Other games let you earn them by clicking ads,doing surveys, subscribing to newsletters, etc. Not saying those games are evil because of it, just that I hate that system of play. Forced waits to test your resolve to no purchase a speed up or unlock that new shiny mcguffin. It seems stupid to call a game free to play when microtransactions are pretty blatant.Again, not calling the games stupid, but the system employed.

CarbonJames

Feb 10, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
This is problematic because F2P games bank on user investment; time and/or money, which in turn, is (among other things) driving the market further and further away from selling full games.
I see things differently. My very first job in the industry I was lucky enough to be hired by Epic Games shortly before they released Unreal Tournament. I was inspired by Epic's passion to make the game great, and double inspired by watching Tim and Mark do battle against our publisher to release the "Bonus Packs" as free content. Smaller devs would have given in and just moved onto the next project, but Epic wanted to continue to not only patch bugs and improve the experience, they wanted to add new content.

I know, I was working on that stuff, and I was paid to do so. I added the Skaarj Hybrid and the Relics (art stuff) which wasn't something we were obligated to to. We did it because we believed it would make the game better, and help the game continue to sell and spread. Epic spent money to continue to develop UT after release, way beyond bugfixing. Looking back at it, UT could have been great for F2P when done by a respectable developer--the core game is free, and if you want skins and stuff they can be purchased. You get a huge community, and people can pay what they are comfortable with.

For our game AirMech, we have players who spend money just to say thanks and support us. It's actually really hard to spend a lot of money--the big spenders actually redistribute their wealth to others, doing giveaways and helping out new players. It's really heartwarming to watch.

Games as a service are a good thing as long as the devs aren't overly greedy. New players and new spenders pay for more content and more dev time. We are constantly adding features and content to AirMech that make the game better--not just cosmetics. Our only limitation is funding. As the game gets bigger, we invest more back into the game, and longtime players have a game that stays fresh and keeps getting better.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Fallen London is less of a game and more of a "Click here, then here, then here and we'll see ya tomorrow" moment.

A game should be enjoyable and accommodating to the player and shouldn't force the player to either wait or force the player to be their marketing team for them. Not to mention that the game requires several actions to finish a single storyline or mission and the prices for items are extremely high for no reason. Long story sort, Fallen London may not be as bad, but it is still a poor excuse for a free to play model when I can just boot up League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Swtor or even WoW.
The game was designed to be played during coffee breaks (or whatever your equivalent is), and it's just fine when played that way.

You seem to be judging FL as a game where you sit down and play it for several hours in the evening, and in that regard yes it is a terrible example of a FTW/FTP game. However, saying that LoL/TF2/TOR/WoW is better than Fallen London is like saying that a microwave is better than a toaster, and vice-versa. Sure, you can't sit down and fill an entire evening with a Fallen London session, but you can't fill a coffee break with a League match, either. Other things LoL/TF2/TOR/WoW don't have but FL does include: sheer novelty, really good writing, Lovecraftian horror, Victorian-era England, tiger wrestling, orphan chimney-sweeps, and Mr. Eaten.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Vedli said:
Which only proves my point doesn't it? By surrendering the high ground and opening with a insult/petulant comment I undermined my own argument. The point I will admit was a bit clumsily delivered. And this isn't your drunk uncle here. This a man who has been a champion for the mobile market in the past who has seen a favorite property from the past ruined in order to make a quick buck. You can see why this would leave Jim very angry? If you disagree then thats fine but (if you would excuse another clumsy analogy) you don't get to be the good guy just for fighting the bad guy, not if you use his same methods (not calling Jim a bad guy or anything, calm down everyone).
So because one of Jim's favorite IPs has been fucked over he gets to omit examples to the contrary and disregard an entire payment model for video games? If that's true than I'll go ahead and say that Rockstar is a shit company filled with shit people who make shit games with shit writing because Max Payne 3 was a terrible successor to MP1&2.

Also, you were the first person to bring morality into this. I claimed no moral high ground, so please don't say I did unless you want this to get nasty (that wasn't really intended to be a threat, that kind of false moral shaming just pisses me off really easily).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The fury and the mic drop, truly Jim's passionate about this subject, and it shows.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CarbonJames said:
I see things differently. My very first job in the industry I was lucky enough to be hired by Epic Games shortly before they released Unreal Tournament. I was inspired by Epic's passion to make the game great, and double inspired by watching Tim and Mark do battle against our publisher to release the "Bonus Packs" as free content. Smaller devs would have given in and just moved onto the next project, but Epic wanted to continue to not only patch bugs and improve the experience, they wanted to add new content.
I cut my modding teeth on Quake 2, UT99' and Command & Conquer.
Those relics were amazing at the time (random spawning on nodes was quite the trick back when ChaosQ2 did it), and inspired more than a few fan works (Technolog Pack).

For our game AirMech, we have players who spend money just to say thanks and support us. It's actually really hard to spend a lot of money--the big spenders actually redistribute their wealth to others, doing giveaways and helping out new players. It's really heartwarming to watch.
That's a nice feelgood story; (I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it), but it's a complete irregularity.
Which is what I'd expect in a market that is almost entirely profit-driven.

Games as a service are a good thing as long as the devs aren't overly greedy.
Depends who you ask.
If you're a developer, it's great, because it means the potential for long term revenue and continued relevance.
If you're a player, well, it can be plenty fun, but don't get too attached.

Services come with additional dependencies and design criteria (for better and worse...in my experience, mostly worse).
Developers are dependent on regulars to cover maintenance costs, users are dependent on the developer for basic functionality (before you get to anything involving design or content).

New players and new spenders pay for more content and more dev time. We are constantly adding features and content to AirMech that make the game better--not just cosmetics. Our only limitation is funding. As the game gets bigger, we invest more back into the game, and longtime players have a game that stays fresh and keeps getting better.
Until it becomes infeasible to maintain. Then it all disappears in one fell swoop.

It's already happened to me before...(a few times now that I think about it)
Now I admit it's just my bias speaking, but pardon me for not thinking fondly of service-centric games when hundreds of hours of my life disappeared without warning.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
thepyrethatburns said:
canadamus_prime said:
DementedSheep said:
Is this really a scam? It not like you can't see what it is and it's sneakily taking money from your account. If people are buying it they are getting something out of it personally or they are just stupid. Either way how much money they spend on these things is on their heads and I don't see why we should care.
You should care because as long as incredibly stupid people buy into this crap then more of this crap will continue to be made. And in the worst case scenario it'll come to a point where you'll have no choice but to buy into it yourself because it'll be the only thing available. That's why.
That strikes me as an issue with gamers/magpies with money.

"Well, I have to play this because it's the only thing coming out."

So the Rapture happened and everything gaming-related from the Amiga to the Xbox360 got called home to heaven. No? Well, then there are enough games out there that you will ALWAYS have the choice not to buy into it. The only reason that gamers would have to buy into it is because of decades of being conditioned to buy the latest thing as soon as it comes out. Only "incredibly stupid people" would feel that they have no choice but to buy into something that they don't want to.

Even if the Video Game Rapture happens and it sucks everything but free-to-wait games up to heaven...

Y'know, there are other things to do with your life.
Ok let me rephrase that. In the worst case scenario you'd have no choice but to buy into Free to Wait if you wanted to play anything new.
In which case, you don't.

That's the point that I'm making. We, as a consumer base, have the option to not buy into this. If that's the only thing new coming out, then play some of the games that you missed this generation (If you can say that you have played every good game on PC/Wii/PS3/360 that came out during this generation, then you REALLY need to get some sun.) and wait out that phase of game development.

I try not to bring this up a lot but I am skipping this console generation entirely. Despite this, I'm still going to have new experiences just because of the sheer number of games that I've never finished. I have games that go all the way back to the NES that I haven't finished. Last year, I thoroughly beat Rogue Galaxy (a PS2 game) for the first time. Currently, I'm playing through Sacrifice (2000 PC game) and beating all the campaigns for the first time.

Yes, maybe some developer/publishers will collapse if gamers dust off their older consoles rather than buy games they hate. Hell, we might have an even worse replay of the 1983 crash where developers/publishers crash, stores close, sites shut down, and Jim Sterling makes a video entitled "Please start buying Buy-To-Wait games. I need this job."

But meaningful change demands sacrifice. If that's what it would take to steer gaming back to a more consumer-friendly, then so be it. The power is in the hands of the consumers. We just tell ourselves that it's not because it's harder to make changes in our "I gotta have all the shinies" attitude than it is to just kvetch about the situation.

This video applies to both sides of the equation. On the publisher/developer side, this is the mentality of the people trying to pressure you into buying worthless swampland.

But it also applies to gamers. To paraphrase:

If you're willing to wield the power, it's yours. If you're not, I have no sympathy for you.

It doesn't matter what you think other people will do. That's just an excuse to avoid action.

It doesn't matter what the developer/publishers are going to do. They're the ones trying to convince you to buy into this.

All that matters is what you can do about the situation. If you don't like the direction that the industry is going, stop buying their product. It's that simple.

CarbonJames

Feb 10, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
Until it becomes infeasible to maintain. Then it all disappears in one fell swoop.

It's already happened to me before...(a few times now that I think about it)
Now I admit it's just my bias speaking, but pardon me for not thinking fondly of service-centric games when hundreds of hours of my life disappeared without warning.
Lots of valid points in the non-quoted parts, but I wanted to comment on this in particular since it's something we've had in mind from day 1. Our game is very cheap to operate when it comes to servers and infrastructure. I did not want to build one of those house of cards that needs 20 devs just to keep the servers up. We are now at 9 devs and that's with actively expanding the game. We plan to support user generated maps. Maintaining the game probably would need 2 devs.

Our next planned project (a successor to Fat Princess, codename Cake) uses the same tech, so we can operate 2 games while keeping the core engine supported and continually improved.

We are the oddball though. If you are EA, you don't make games like this. You don't even approve games that don't project to make a billion dollars. For us, we just want to make enough to keep making games, and throw some mud in the eyes of companies exploiting players, showing that there is a better option. We don't have execs to pay and marketing machines to run. Carbon is devs making games for players, cutting executive management and marketing out of the loop. The end result (we hope) is a better value for everyone.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CarbonJames said:
Lots of valid points in the non-quoted parts, but I wanted to comment on this in particular since it's something we've had in mind from day 1. Our game is very cheap to operate when it comes to servers and infrastructure. I did not want to build one of those house of cards that needs 20 devs just to keep the servers up. We are now at 9 devs and that's with actively expanding the game. We plan to support user generated maps. Maintaining the game probably would need 2 devs.
Well, sounds like you have a longer term game established and it seems your heart is in the right place.
Best of luck.

Vedli

Jul 5, 2013
deathbydeath said:
Vedli said:
So because one of Jim's favorite IPs has been fucked over he gets to omit examples to the contrary and disregard an entire payment model for video games? If that's true than I'll go ahead and say that Rockstar is a shit company filled with shit people who make shit games with shit writing because Max Payne 3 was a terrible successor to MP1&2.

Also, you were the first person to bring morality into this. I claimed no moral high ground, so please don't say I did unless you want this to get nasty (that wasn't really intended to be a threat, that kind of false moral shaming just pisses me off really easily).
Okay Kid, I was just trying to help you make a better argument since I thought you had a good one and maybe understand why Jim was so angry and how anger can lead to mistakes because thats how emotions work, when you get angry about something you will often omit things if you are attacking something, not because of some sinister agenda but just because your not thinking clearly. Thats why I brought up "morality" as you put it. If Jim is all angry your arguements are more compelling if you keep calm and don't resort to petty comebacks. Although yes, telling someone to shut up is not exactly the worse thing you could of done still it's not the best counter point in the world unlike your later one with examples of F2W done well but hey your nearly 15 years old you know everything (I know I was like that). And yes that last part was a joke :p

sigh, teenagers (I look forward to your future angry response).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So does this mean people are going to stop claiming Jim's okay with this particular model in Free 2 Play games, or amI still going to have to argue this point?

CarbonJames

Feb 10, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
So does this mean people are going to stop claiming Jim's okay with this particular model in Free 2 Play games, or amI still going to have to argue this point?
But Jim in the context of this video is a character, it's not the real human Jim that must know there's good and bad implementations of F2P.

It's a shame that doing videos like this just helps promote them (even bad press is good press) where the real way to affect change or damage EA is to just boycott and ignore them. Find the good examples, praise them.

But that's not as funny. (I love Jim's character myself, it's only reflecting on this later that I come to this conclusion)

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Arawn said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
false

That's still 2 types of currency. One of these currency you have to purchase. And there are items or products that can only be obtained with that purchased currency. Yes, some games do allow you to earn the purchased currency for "free" in game, but at a much lower rate than buying directly. Marvel puzzle quest on Steam does that. Other games let you earn them by clicking ads,doing surveys, subscribing to newsletters, etc. Not saying those games are evil because of it, just that I hate that system of play. Forced waits to test your resolve to no purchase a speed up or unlock that new shiny mcguffin. It seems stupid to call a game free to play when microtransactions are pretty blatant.Again, not calling the games stupid, but the system employed.
none of the games i mentioned use that, each of those games either offer all gameplay content for free or a huge amount of it for free

just play any of those games before reaching any conclusion, they are free and they are good, TF2 is my favorite online FPS of all time, Loadout is an enjoyable online shooter, Path of Exile is one of the best ARPGs avaliable at the moment, i enjoyed LoL quite a bit, i hate Dota 2 and its community but i seem to be a minority there, and in my limited experienced with MMORPGs, Lord of the Rings Online wasnt half bad

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CarbonJames said:
But Jim in the context of this video is a character, it's not the real human Jim that must know there's good and bad implementations of F2P.
The previous people talking about this were using a prior Jimquisition to justify it, so it's in-character vs in-character.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Not sure if this has been posted here already, but it is relevant to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RHC-uGDbu7s
basically EA uses every bad tactic in the book and it illustrates the basics of microtransations in general.