Jimquisition: Go Fish

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Go Fish

In this extra episode, Jimquisition lends a rambling mouth to the controversy surrounding Phil Fish and his dramatic exit from the videogame world.

Watch Video

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
My problem isn't with Fish needing a thicker skin.
I just have no sympathy because every time I heard him make a statement, he's acting like a ponce.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That improvised format wasn't all that bad, honestly. You managed to keep it going without reiterating your points excessively.

From what I have read from him it looks like Fish just needs to grow up. Not in the sense that he can't face the real world or insults or whatever, but that he just comes off as an abrasive know-it-all. Nobody likes that kind of attitude. Hopefully if and when he comes back to the industry he will have taken some of your advice to heart.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
I now feel as if I should've sent Jim some hate mail, it seems I've been missing out on one of the many channels of community interaction.

I should make it well-written, too, as it's my first...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, this is pretty much my position on the whole thing too. Fish may not be the greatest person in the world, but I don't think I've ever seen one man get so much abuse from people on a regular basis.

And I do hope he does come back to game development, because from what I've played of it so far, I really enjoy Fez, and would love to see a Fez 2.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Personally when it comes to dealing with people who criticize my stories in less than pleasant ways, I tend to keep a very polite tone, partially because it makes me feel like the bigger man, partially because it makes the guy swearing like a sailor look immature by comparison. Though I do get snarky from time to time, for example, one time I blocked a guy because he was being a dick, but he got back in through another username. He started ranting and swearing at me, and said that what I did was immature, to which I replied "Someone who's swearing like a 13 year old, shouldn't be criticizing other people for being immature."

I can understand where Jim is coming from, sometimes you need to let some steam off. However, the way I see it, it's a lot better to let it off in small doses here and there, little snarky comments directed at the extra rude are a good way to do it, like that sexist guy who commented on your Legend of Zelda article. I guess the point is to let off your anger in small controlled amounts, don't let your anger get the better of you, and unless it's called for, don't be a dick.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
This is one of the better shows in awhile, Jim. Don't bother apologizing. I think you really helped put this thing in perspective.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
you know how i know i need to grow up, because i laughed at i hope you die of fat. even though i don't i hope Jim lives a long happy life and stays with the gamer community for a long time i really do. as to the actual contents of this video its hard for me to take a side seeing as how im only vaguely aware of what was said by either side. im just glad i don't get that kind of hate from anybody.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
When you wake up in the mornings... You feel almost intimidated by responses to things you wrote the day before. This rings true on forums aswell. I think its the reason many steer clear of the Religions and Politics forums.

Dustin Triplett

Jul 30, 2013
MCerberus said:
My problem isn't with Fish needing a thicker skin.
I just have no sympathy because every time I heard him make a statement, he's acting like a ponce.
No one is perfect, we are all assholes. Fish is no more of a "ponce" than someone that calls him one for being unable to live up to their incredibly unrealistic standards of what a human being must be.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I really liked this episode. While I can see past the persona in the normal videos in order to "get the message" I find it really engaging when you speak normally without the ranting or script. You should do talks at conventions and stuff.

In regards to the content of the video, I think the problem lies with that when you are typing words at a screen rather than speaking to somebody face to face it is difficult to see them as a person with emotions. While I strive to be fairly polite online, I realise that I can come across as incredibly snarky at times, considerably more so than I ever would in reality, and I occasionally have to remind myself that it really isn't fair to the person on the receiving end.

Some people are simply incapable of the introspection required to notice it, or are surrounded by like minded individuals to the point where that kind of behaviour seems normal. So when they get it pointed out to them they get defensive, because they cannot see what they are doing wrong.

I think a lot of this is down to the internet still being in it's "infancy". People haven't really evolved a proper etiquette for speaking to people online like we do in reality. As such people are much more likely to be a lot ruder than they would be to be people face to face.

Although I have never received the kind of hate people such as yourself and Fish have, to a smaller extent I sometimes get the same kind of feeling when I log onto here and see I have been quoted. Especially if it has been in a heated debate or a controversial topic. I normally ask myself "So who is going to take issue with my opinion now?" and feel reluctant to read what they have said.

So I can only imagine what it must be like for people who get actual harassment.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Jim, if you ever do leave this show or move it somewhere else, I hope it is something you never feel you are forced into due to hostility. I hope it is a deliberate choice that you feel is the best for your career and whatever future you have planned :)

As for Phil Fish, I've somehow managed to miss this whole thing, from what he originally said to what the responses were. Quite frankly I'm not interested, either, I know what Internet arguments are and from what I understand so far I doubt what happened is much different. Either way, I'm inclined to agree with Jim that it certainly wasn't ONE comment that brought him to make the decision, and while it does seem a very drastic move things that explode on the Internet can have very drastic effects on a person. Especially when they know your name and all that baggage is tied directly to your career and professional reputation.

And everybody is prone to saying stupid things online, I've done it more times than I could count. And I think people deserve to be called out for their bullshit when they're generating it, but death threats and insults when they aren't doing anything stupid are just unnecessary and as vile as all the other vile shit that comes out in Internet arguments. So I don't think he's beyond forgiveness, and nor is he deserving of extensive harassment. If the Amazing Atheist can make the comments he's made and still come out with a semblance of a career intact, then certainly if Phil Fish decides to toss his hat back in I think he won't have a tough time being welcomed back.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
You can hate Fish all you like but the bottom line is this...

Fish makes games. Some would even call him a game maker. We are now short one game maker because someone of little value in this industry felt entitled....not for his own publication, but Game Informer of all places. This person of little value who only talks about video games threw shit at someone the industry actually NEEDS, and it just happened to be one shit too many.

Not a fan of Fez and never even heard of Phil Fish prior to this weekend, but I know the industry needs more creators and needs a whole lot less people like the Annoyed Gamer.

The real issue is the entitlement of some of these....I don't even know what to call them...what? Videogame talker critic people? I mean, they're most certainly not journalists. Journalists have standards report the news, not rumors. Journalists usually have expectations that they must met or they will be held accountable.

So when a guy like Beer gets pissy at Fish and Blow for not gossiping or commenting on a (at the time) rumor, it only highlights why gaming media cannot be taken seriously and why the industry would be better off without 95% of them. Gaming media has been shit for YEARS. This isn't new and neither is this sort of behavior. Fish has at least made a contribution to this industry. What has gaming media done for the industry? These are the same people that will line up to call gamers whiny and entitled for not enjoying the shit Mass Effect ending, and will call out developers as whiny and entitled for not commenting on rumors. Yeah....95% sounds about right.

I'd include Sterling in that number but he seems to be the only one with the balls to call out EA and other pigs in this industry.

Lastly, yeah Jim...you can't pick a side because of David Cage. You basically did the same thing only you took it quite a few steps beyond.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
The thing with Fish is that it seemed like he kicked the hornet's nest and complained about being stung. Then he proceeded to kick the hornet's nest again.

Fish very much acted like a self-centered, arrogant prick. That doesn't mean that he was a self-centered, arrogant prick, and I do think a lot of people crossed the line when talking to and about him (including Marcus Beer), when you act an asshole, people will respond in kind.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Fish doesn't necessarily need thicker skin, or at least wouldn't, if he's stop running his mouth off and actively trying to piss everyone off. If he wasn't notorious for comments like Japanese game devs suck, or my personal favorite "suck my dick, choke on it," this wouldn't have ever been a problem. Fish brought the abuse on himself, he has nobody to blame. And honestly, what Marcus said wasn't even that harsh, especially given some of the shit that comes out of his mouth. All he said was what most of us are thinking: If you didn't have a comment on the situation (Xbox One self publishing change), then just say "No comment right now," and leave it at that. Don't get indignant over it.

Also should point out, nobody forced Fish to respond to the abuse he got, but he did, constantly. I've never liked Fish personally, because he's only ever made Fez, and believes it was a revolution for indie games, when it's anything but.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Jim really starts to remind me off Doug Walker, as in I enjoy both their personas and their real... well real versions of themselves. And it was genuinely pleasant to hear Jim just talking about stuff. Thank God for Jim.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Yep, that's the internet for you. I hope Fish is happier not paying attention to this stuff than the was doing so.