Jimquisition: How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Scars Unseen said:
Your statement is misleading. There is nothing wrong with Nintendo's record. What you are referring to is a tech demo that they did in 1999. They actually showed Windwaker the following year(still 2 years before the game came out). Yes, some people criticized Nintendo's decision to go with a cel-shaded art style, but it wasn't because Nintendo misrepresented themselves. And time has proven most of the original criticism to be full of shit, as Windwaker is a pretty well loved iteration of the series.
To put the facts clear.

2000 - Nintendo showed the Gamecube potential with an epic battle scene between Gannon and Link with a graphic style resembling to an improved version of Ocarina of Time.
2002 - Nintendo showed the Wind Waker with its cartoonish cell-shaded style. Saying that "some" previously hyped up fans went "WTF is this sh*t!" would be the understatement of the year.
2003 - Wind Waker was released. The game was called childish and boring, and it was bashed as one of the worst Zelda games ever by the gaming community.
2006 - Twilight Princess was released. It's graphics were much more similar to the first Gamecube trailer. Some people didn't like it, but it wasn't as bashed as the Wind Waker.
2011 - Skyward Sword was released. It wasn't a hit, but certainly it wasn't as hated as Wind Waker was at its time.
2013 - Wind Waker HD was released. Wii U owners loved it.
2014 - Nintendo talked about how the Wii U will push away some barriers that hold up the Zelda franchise (open world Zelda), and showed an epic battle scene between Link and a mechanical monster.

Of course things changed with the years, and I bought the Wind Waker when it was first released and finished it multiple times; but it doesn't change the fact that people were hyped up and felt let down at that time. So until they show the proper game with the proper title, I won't take anything for granted.
But at the end of the day they still said one was a tech demo and the others weren't. It's not Nintendo fault you got hyped into believing things that they never even said. In the E3 trailer for Zelda they specifically said this was part of the game. They did not say that at all for the Wii U tech demo. Nor did they say that for the Gamecube tech demo.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Scars Unseen said:
Your statement is misleading. There is nothing wrong with Nintendo's record. What you are referring to is a tech demo that they did in 1999. They actually showed Windwaker the following year(still 2 years before the game came out). Yes, some people criticized Nintendo's decision to go with a cel-shaded art style, but it wasn't because Nintendo misrepresented themselves. And time has proven most of the original criticism to be full of shit, as Windwaker is a pretty well loved iteration of the series.
To put the facts clear.

2000 - Nintendo showed the Gamecube potential with an epic battle scene between Gannon and Link with a graphic style resembling to an improved version of Ocarina of Time.
2002 - Nintendo showed the Wind Waker with its cartoonish cell-shaded style. Saying that "some" previously hyped up fans went "WTF is this sh*t!" would be the understatement of the year.
2003 - Wind Waker was released. The game was called childish and boring, and it was bashed as one of the worst Zelda games ever by the gaming community.
2006 - Twilight Princess was released. It's graphics were much more similar to the first Gamecube trailer. Some people didn't like it, but it wasn't as bashed as the Wind Waker.
2011 - Skyward Sword was released. It wasn't a hit, but certainly it wasn't as hated as Wind Waker was at its time.
2013 - Wind Waker HD was released. Wii U owners loved it.
2014 - Nintendo talked about how the Wii U will push away some barriers that hold up the Zelda franchise (open world Zelda), and showed an epic battle scene between Link and a mechanical monster.

Of course things changed with the years, and I bought the Wind Waker when it was first released and finished it multiple times; but it doesn't change the fact that people were hyped up and felt let down at that time. So until they show the proper game with the proper title, I won't take anything for granted.
Dragonbums already pointed it out, but it's also worth noting that the end of the E3 showcase put the release date at 2015. That's one year as opposed to the 2000 tech demo's three. Not enough time for them to go back to the drawing board.

Also, your timeline is off. The cel shaded art style of Windwaker was showcased at Space World 2001. E3 2002 was where a playable demo was showcased, where it received a lot of critical praise, including the Best Console Game award from the Game Critics Awards. And your claim of the released game being called childish and boring is purely anecdotal, and not consistent with either my experience or any of the discussions I had with other Zelda fans at the time. And again, critical opinion highly disagrees with you on it, as does current public opinion if Metacritic is any indication. Whatever the initial knee-jerk reaction to the art reveal in 2001, time has vindicated Nintendo's choice among critics and fans alike. You'll notice that there's no Twilight Princess HD game for the Wii U.

hf13207

Apr 4, 2008
You know Jim had a REALLY good point about not lying about your games...and maybe that is WHY COD keeps selling so well, they ALWAYS show game-play and not the prefabricated trailers that so many others use in instead of good and concrete game-play!

Just a thought!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
shadowmagus said:
But we can't like the WiiU, because samey gimmicks and bad graphics!

PC/WiiU Master race, reporting.
I think I'm with you. I'm not any where near getting a new gen console but when I do, it'll probably be the WiiU. Things like the next Fallout will be better on my pc.

AoyagiAichou

Jul 14, 2014
I wouldn't call W_D "good looking". I'd call it "acceptable", especially when I look at (non-modded) GTA4.