Jimquisition: I'm Going To Murder Your Children

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'm Going To Murder Your Children

If your first response to a game creator doing something you dislike is to get personal with them and threaten their families, you waive any righteousness you might have had. Seems like a no-brainer ... yet so few of us seem to have brains.

Watch Video

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I'm with you here Jim. I don't care what someone thinks a person did to them, threatening that person's kids is just completely unacceptable and I think it does paint a very dark picture of the current game culture.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
I was going to write a few death and rape threats to Konami for making Castlevania Mirror of Fate multi platform, but how am I supposed to do that now? the prospect of seeing you with a dragon dildo is way too alluring.
thanks for ruining my day, Jim

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Good episode, however I feel the intended audience will have no trouble tuning out your message. At the very least, hopefully it will further spurn those of us who aren't complete shits to continue to speak out against this behavior because it is absolutely not okay morally and damaging to the industry.

And Jim tempting me into be nice with his future dildo related escapades? Oh Sterling, you tease.

glider4

Mar 27, 2012
This entire thing is stupid. I should not even know who this woman is and people have not liked her for years. It's just that news sites decided to go nuts over this as an exuse to target those who were not happy with recent bioware products and a bunchy of idiots have jumped on the bandwagon. Whoever said that threat in the first place is an idiot.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I wish The Escapist could switch around all their contributers and have them do anothers show for a week.

Also, people, stop make Jimmy make episodes that can be summed up in one sentence, or in the title.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Retrograde said:
A woman is threatened on the internet in a grossly disproportionate manner. I was wondering when we'd have a brouhaha about how some stupid people doing stupid people shit and one/some woman/women taking it all too seriously means that gaming is sexist and we're sexist.

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't watch past the first minute or so, there really isn't a need to at this point.

Lady Victim, evil sexists, misogyny, gaming needs to change, THE ISSUE, etc.
You probably should have watched past the first minute then, because sexism wasn't mentioned at all...really. I am sure someone will mention it in the comments, but as for the video, he just talked about how threatening developers(or really anyone for that matter) is not okay. Pretty obvious it isn't okay, and the video seemed to mostly be made for the types of people who would say that shit, so it seemed more like he was venting.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
We're never going to see that sex toy, are we?

I can see it now. Some arse is going to (metaphorically) spit on Ryan Davis' grave for GB'S Ducktales Remastered review (as much as I don't like it none) or something equally stupid and that'll be the end of it.
Retrograde said:
BRB, gotta flaggelate.
Please don't, you're clearly ill equipped to do that.

RobotDinosaur

Feb 27, 2012
At the risk of exposing myself to an amount of stupid far above permissible exposure limits - is there a link to the original story? I'm wondering what exactly this writer said to provoke this, or if her only crime was having been a video game writer. And let me be perfectly clear, I'm just wanting to know more about this incident, there is absolutely nothing she might have said to justify this kind of treatment. Honestly, the regularity of these kinds of stories has gotten to the point that I'm kind of ashamed to video game as a hobby.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
I'm Going To Murder Your Children

If your first response to a game creator doing something you dislike is to get personal with them and threaten their families, you waive any righteousness you might have had. Seems like a no-brainer ... yet so few of us seem to have brains.

Watch Video
Great video, it's messed up how people react over a pass-time activity. People need to grow up.

One small correction though, her quitting Bioware wasn't a direct result of the harassment she received, she quit because she is going to be making a text book about narrative design and doing other game related freelance work. Game news outlets have kind of run away with the story out of context.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

themilo504

May 9, 2010
This episode is really kind of pointless, everybody with a brain already knows that this kind of behavior is bad and the rest are too stupid to ever understand that.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
...I'm sorry, I'm sure you had an important message about decency to your fellow man in there somewhere, but all I heard was "Dragon Dildo".

(Also, I thought the writing was the best part of Dragon Age II. For all the samey dungeons and uninteresting combat, I loved the depth of the characterization in the game. Somehow, the Internet assholes managed to pick out the one competent person that worked on that game and drive her away. Congratufuckinglations.)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
This is truly a sad subject. We have this ability to take a bad game as a personal insult, like the developer deliberately screwed us over. That's where things go overboard and we start losing grip on the reality of the threats some of us make. We shouldn't need to be told that death threats aren't OK, we shouldn't have to be informed that making personal threats against someone's family is wrong.

However this happens.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
We really, really need to purge the assholes from the gaming community, but I'm not sure how to do that. I like Microsoft's idea of gamers ranking as a way to quarantine the assholes and maybe that will work and it will be enough. If not, then gamers themselves will have to police themselves better.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, it's rather terrible.

Now I wasn't a fan of some of Hepler's stuff at all, but the fact that she, and her family, received death threats, and the fact that gamers were celebrating "abusing" a person out of the industry, for the crime of some inoffensive writing in Dragon Age, is fucking atrocious.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Retrograde said:
A woman is threatened on the internet in a grossly disproportionate manner. I was wondering when we'd have a brouhaha about how some stupid people doing stupid people shit and one/some woman/women taking it all too seriously means that gaming is sexist and we're sexist.

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't watch past the first minute or so, there really isn't a need to at this point.

Lady Victim, evil sexists, misogyny, gaming needs to change, THE ISSUE, etc.
Thank you for saving everyone the time of wondering if you actually watched the video. Since you admit you haven't, it makes the reason why you would have completely missed the fucking point completely obvious.

Well done on assuming this video is about sexism (it's not), and implying that threats are only unacceptable to the public eye when they're against women or their families (that's not true either). I'd strongly recommend watching the whole video, because you managed to write a response that literally had nothing to do with the topic, and is kind of useless as a result.

If you want to argue against something, at least argue against what it really is, rather than whatever argument you've made up in your head.