Jimquisition: Metacritic Isn't the Problem

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
It seems that not all of us are blessed with the ability to detect satire.

This show is just a wonderful mish-mash of serious content and flippant smack-talk, all wrapped in a sarcastically arrogant presentation. A brilliant juxtaposition of the thought-provoking and frivolous.

Is this the genre called Jarnalizm?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
An old saying comes to mind... now what was it? Oh yes: "don't like it, shut the fuck up and watch something else."
Beggin' your pardon, but I have a question.

Are you saying that people (unlike the person you were responding to) who don't like the show have any less of a right to say what they don't like? I mean, to be fair, Jim IS a critic, isn't he? Turnabout is fair play and all that.

Besides, what do you care if people comment that they hate it?
Its 9 in videos in; there's been plenty of time to whine and complain. People won't like everything on the site - they don't venture in hordes onto the other stuff to write comments that aren't even critical of the actual piece, but simply the show's existence.
But that still begs the question of why you at all care? Really, if people leave negative comments, even if they are ill informed, how do they affect/bother you?
I dunno, why do they bother suspending people who leave "First!" comments on videos before watching them? Probably because its irritating and the rest of us don't want to have to read a bunch of shit before we can find something worthwhile to respond too.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
An old saying comes to mind... now what was it? Oh yes: "don't like it, shut the fuck up and watch something else."

Are you saying that people (unlike the person you were responding to) who don't like the show have any less of a right to say what they don't like? I mean, to be fair, Jim IS a critic, isn't he? Turnabout is fair play and all that.

Its 9 in videos in; there's been plenty of time to whine and complain. People won't like everything on the site - they don't venture in hordes onto the other stuff to write comments that aren't even critical of the actual piece, but simply the show's existence.
But that still begs the question of why you at all care? Really, if people leave negative comments, even if they are ill informed, how do they affect/bother you?
I dunno, why do they bother suspending people who leave "First!" comments on videos before watching them? Probably because its irritating and the rest of us don't want to have to read a bunch of shit before we can find something worthwhile to respond too.
Not everyone is going to like everything. And that's alright. If people want to express reasons why the don't like a show, such as problems they see with it, the first response shouldn't be "Don't like it; don't watch it". The show's existance to them causes as much harm as their comments do to you.

Irradiated Tiger

Feb 8, 2010
While his opinions are something that I mostly I agree with, I do not like his style of delivery. I realize that it's all an act because no man alive can have a personality so grating and obnoxious but really, if Jim toned it down I think more people would watch his show.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
See, I've never watched a video by this person. The logo design for it has done its job in making him into the character he's trying to be: Loud and self-important (note the color choice and the way he's standing). That just doesn't interest me.
Then, reading the tag line, "Oh you poor, sad little cretins. You are all so wrong. Always. Forever. Jim Sterling illuminates your path, but what good does that do when you refuse to open your eyes? Oh, he's so much better than you," makes my skin crawl. I don't understand why this man feels he needs to constantly insult his viewers. I can honestly say I'll never watch a video of his because of trash talk like this.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Woodsey said:
Roocifer said:
Telegram from Capt. E. Blackadder.

Dear Mr Chaplain. Stop. Have discovered only person in the world less funny than you. Stop. Name Jimquisition. Stop. Oh and one more thing, please please please. Stop.
I haven't watched a Jimquisition episode since the CoD ep with the short bit on art. And with that being said I HAVEN'T had to watch it seeing as how unlike the other shows here on the escapist you can get the jist of what he said from the title and what people say in the thread that follows. I get that he has opinions on things but also touting himself as gamings biggest douche and acting like it too is what turns A LOT of people off.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:
CM156 said:
Woodsey said:

Not everyone is going to like everything. And that's alright. If people want to express reasons why the don't like a show, such as problems they see with it, the first response shouldn't be "Don't like it; don't watch it". The show's existance to them causes as much harm as their comments do to you.
Eugh, I smell a Neutral.

Its not about the comment being negative. This comment can be seen to be negative:

Vault boy Eddie said:
Last episode was good, this one was more in the line of Captain Obvious, like the other episodes. The gist of it was people are assholes and ruin everything. The whole Portal thing was a prime example.
It also has the virtue of not being gloriously irrelevant.

These people are like those who continuously watch TV shows they don't like/disagree with just so they can keep writing in complaints to the fucking broadcaster, when all they have to do is not watch.

Do you know what I don't like? A decent portion of the written content on the site. It doesn't speak to me, and so I don't read it. I don't spend forever calling it out as boring/pretentious/unfunny/whatever (I'm not saying it is any of those things, incidentally, I just don't have any interest in reading it).

Krion_Vark said:
Woodsey said:
Roocifer said:
Telegram from Capt. E. Blackadder.

Dear Mr Chaplain. Stop. Have discovered only person in the world less funny than you. Stop. Name Jimquisition. Stop. Oh and one more thing, please please please. Stop.
I haven't watched a Jimquisition episode since the CoD ep with the short bit on art. And with that being said I HAVEN'T had to watch it seeing as how unlike the other shows here on the escapist you can get the jist of what he said from the title and what people say in the thread that follows. I get that he has opinions on things but also touting himself as gamings biggest douche and acting like it too is what turns A LOT of people off.
Yeah, and that's fine. So don't fucking watch (as you haven't been). I didn't realise the site consisted of a bunch of psychological masochists who like forcing themselves through things they don't like.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Jim Sterling said:
Metacritic Isn't the Problem

Oh you poor, sad little cretins. You are all so wrong. Always. Forever. Jim Sterling illuminates your path, but what good does that do when you refuse to open your eyes? Oh, he's so much better than you.

Watch Video
Hey Jim. Thanks for insulting everyone who reads your post. Could you please treat the people that essentially pay you with a bit respect? Being blatantly offensive only promotes more of it. Also, why can you get away with insulting hundreds/thousands of people on this forum and we can't get away with insulting one member?

Sometimes the Escapist baffles me with their logic.

KhakiHat

Dec 28, 2008
I like your "vengeful critic" style better when your playing off a character whose ideals and principals are being violated, causing him to take on the persona of an angry fascist games reviewer who vows to solve all our problems when he takes over the world. Otherwise, you just come off as a douche who needs to have his stupid wallpaper stuffed down his throat.

Also, nice commentary on Wooah. I hate Christan mags, they always seem to be filled with stories about cuddlely kittens and nothing meaningful in any way.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Atheist. said:
Jim Sterling said:

Oh you poor, sad little cretins. You are all so wrong. Always. Forever. Jim Sterling illuminates your path, but what good does that do when you refuse to open your eyes? Oh, he's so much better than you.

Watch Video
Hey Jim. Thanks for insulting everyone who reads your post. Could you please treat the people that essentially pay you with a bit respect? Being blatantly offensive only promotes more of it. Also, why can you get away with insulting hundreds/thousands of people on this forum and we can't get away with insulting one member?

It... its not fucking serious! What is wrong with you people?! Has the ability to infer things become a hidden art?!

*head explodes*

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Kind of a "well, duh" topic in my opinion, but on the plus side: your "Thank God for me" persona is getting better. The ending made me laugh a little. Keep improving it!

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Congratulations, Mr. Sterling, I've watched more of your installments here than I have Lisa Foiles. You may now experience pride.

Leaving aside Mr. Sterling's arrogant thank-${GOD}-for-me turd-in-your-face style, his overall point is nevertheless correct, and he summarizes the issue well. MetaCritic isn't the problem; idiots mis-conceptualizing and misusing MetaCritic are the problem.

However, there may be an argument to be made that MetaCritic should nevertheless make some changes. Too often it happens that what the artist/creator intended is not what is perceived by the audience. MetaCritic may have been conceived as a convenient aggregator by its creators, but the game publishers and, to some extent, the public now see it as something different. From that standpoint, MetaCritic may want to thoughtfully reconsider what it's become, and adjust appropriately.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Woodsey said:
Atheist. said:
Jim Sterling said:

Watch Video

It... its not fucking serious! What is wrong with you people?! Has the ability to infer things become a hidden art?!

*head explodes*
Mr.Fanboy Woodsey. It doesn't matter if it's not serious. If I punch you in the face and then yell "JK NOT SERIUZ!!" it doesn't make a difference to me, you still did it. If I don't know you, you don't get the right to jokingly insult me. It does not work that way. If I acknowledge him as a comedian, he can get away with telling such jokes. The thing is, he's not. He's supposed to be (Or at least doesn't seem to be) a critic, yet he tells offensive and arrogant "jokes."

I don't think he should be on this website. I don't care if you think he does because he's "jokingly offensive" or whatever you want to call it. Pretend to be an asshole for long enough and you'll become one.

Also, insulting other people's intelligence is a fairly poor argument. I can indeed "infer" things. You're just being ignorant in the sense that you cannot realize this show is offense to many people. If I ended this comment saying you're a troll (I'm not saying that), would you realize whether or not I was serious?

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
IMPO, this series keeps getting better. Jim a little more self-flagellating, pointing out the hur-durs and the hypocrisy, and making a good point on how people can abuse tools for their own selfish ends.

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
There is nothing quite like hypocrisy soup is there. This certainly is an inquisition because that was one tortured analogy. But a good overall point that a tool like Metacritic is intended to inform consumers and not to dictate the paychecks of the people who made a particular game.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ive never been on Metacritic but ive heard of it. I didnt know publishers took it so seriously. Nice argument Mr. Sterling, just keep on pushing past the haters.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The problem I have with metacritic is that it tries to standardize something that is not standard (neither it should). Numeric representations of a review varies from 5 values, . A 3/5 stars in any site is a decent, yet a 60 in metacritic is a bad game (Duke Nukem Forever has a 50 in metacritic, a mere 10% difference with a 3/5 stars (decent) game. That means the difference between Duke Nukem and Brutal Legend is not bigger than the difference between Portal 2 and Dragon Age: Origins).

Metacritic is not to be blamed for bad reviews and publishers and consumers actions because of them, but it can and should be blamed for taking a statistically flawed method to determine the mean of non-comparative measures. If their aggregation method fails at that, then there something seriously wrong or overly simplified with their model...