Jimquisition: Metacritic Isn't the Problem

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think the bottom line is that the gaming industry is generally immature and has not learned how to take a loss with dignity. With millions upon millions of dollars being spent on games, the producers/publishers get rather anxious about making their money back. They don't care if they produce a turd, they want that turd to at least break even, and this means they want nothing negative about even the worst product to be out there at all. Metacritic represents a factor that they can't control directly, because even if they buy up a lot of big name reviewers, the lesser ones who are considered for part of it are treated equally for the purposes of compiling those ratings... a simple fact that contributes to why so many people will look at a Metacritic rating and give it such weight, above and beyond that of any specific reviewer usually.

Now, the basic issue of wanting to see a return on an investment, even one that produces crap, is not something that is unique to the gaming industry. It's shared by pretty much all businesses. When it comes to the media however, things like movies, music, and even TV shows have more avenues to try and recover the initial investment... largely because they are bigger, better established industries. Even a failed movie can turn a profit in the long term through discount disc sales, rentals, and similar things. With video games you have a smaller audience, as well as a smaller industry that has spent so much time trying to limit and control their own media where really their options are fairly limited, they pretty much have that one big initial sales period, and then a slow trickle. The gaming industry doesn't generally plan to support old products the same way that movie companies do, with even an old stinker of a movie getting tossed through budget bins for decades if the need arises. As a result other industries might QQ a bit, but are generally more willing to just accept taking a hit now and again.

I think the gaming industry's greed is also part of it, the gaming industry has the potential to be bigger than either movies or music. Heck, it could be the equivilent of Hollywood AND Pro-sports franchises put together. The thing is that it's not there yet, but a lot of the people involved in the industry, or at least the production end, insist on acting like it is, and by trying to act like big-wigs without an industry on that level, they set themselves up for failure. Bobby Kotick for example has his own private jet, there was an article a while back about how he got into a sex scandal with his personal stewardess. This is the kind of thing you expect from major label music and movie producers, his industry is however not on that level and yet he insists on trying to pretend that it is. This kind of behavior (I use Bobby as an example because he's a known quantity) within the gaming industry contributes to exactly why things like a Metacritic rating can be such a big crisis. After all if you have executives flying around on private jets like rock stars, at the end of the day they need to pay for that, and have enough money to finance their next games. I'm not saying these guys should live like paupers, but I sort of feel that with the current position the industry is in, a comparitivly more humble lifestyle and presentation might provide a bit more breathing room and prevent people from bursting blood vessels trying to contrive ways to control things like metacritic.

That's my thoughts at any rate.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
ZeroAE said:
A world without Jim?!
Those thoughts are gonna torture me while I sleep.
Well, enjoy that then.

The reason I like Zero Punctuation's reviews are because there are no numbers, only brutal honesty, and hyperbole.

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Citizen Box said:
One thing I noticed in the comments though is, sadly, most people don't understand the concept of satire, which is a shame, because that was something I learned in grade school or is it just the misplaced entitlement people have on free media or the concept of higher brain functions? Who knows, but some people have problems.
No, I would say you don't understand the concept of satire. Satirical pieces are witty and they imply one thing while saying the other. I don't see any of the subtlety here.
Possible. But, I would then say to look again, satire is or contains irony, sarcasm, parody, exaggeration, among other things. As far as being witty, sure, but its subjective really.

I am not saying the show itself is completely satire but if you think that the persona Jim has is serious then, well, in Jim's words "You must be fucking stupid".

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Whats a Metacritic and why does it bother people so much?

Im not trolling I just dont get the fuss...

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Woodsey said:
Atheist. said:
Woodsey said:
Metacritic Isn't the Problem

snip
snip
"It doesn't matter if it's not serious."

Yes it does. Quite considerably in fact. Calling someone an idiot, and calling someone an idiot to emphasise a persona (well, I assume a persona) that results in the mocking of the person throwing out the insults is quite different. The punching analogy doesn't work because its too extreme. If my friend did it and didn't knock my teeth out I'd probably find it quite funny - not a stranger. This, on the other hand, is not insulting - it won't linger on your mind for more than a few moments, or until this conversation is done.

"Pretend to be an asshole for long enough and you'll become one."

The whole thing is played so self-aware that this doesn't work.

"Also, insulting other people's intelligence is a fairly poor argument. I can indeed "infer" things. You're just being ignorant in the sense that you cannot realize this show is offense to many people. If I ended this comment saying you're a troll (I'm not saying that), would you realize whether or not I was serious?"

Well, no. At the very least, you couldn't in this situation. You took a couple of lines that were soaked in sarcasm and took them completely seriously and acted as if someone had slapped your mother. And as I've helpfully pointed out, if you find it offensive, its 9 episodes in, you know what you're in for, so you don't have to watch it.

A comedy show was on over here a few years ago called Little Britain. In it, there were two old ladies, one of whom would be given something to eat by the other one (a cake or whatever). She would say, "oh these are lovely - you're an excellent cook!" (not the exact line obviously), and then the other person would reveal that it was actually made by a black woman, or an old Chinese guy, or whatever, and the old woman would proceed to throw up everywhere.

Some people said this was racist, and that they were offended by it. These people were wrong. They missed the joke. The joke was not on the black woman or the old chinese guy, it was on the blindingly racist old woman. Do not assume that because you feign offense (and I don't doubt that the vast majority are faking it) that you automatically have a right to be. If you don't get it, that's your problem. If you don't find it funny, then fair enough. If you find it offensive, then that's another matter.

"If I ended this comment saying you're a troll (I'm not saying that), would you realize whether or not I was serious?"

Pretty much sums up exactly how you don't get this thing. Context, and the way it is written, is everything. If you signed that comment off with "You're just a troll", then duh, I would take it as being serious, given the "debate" we are having and how its written. Then again, I wouldn't go to all the effort of pretending I care.
My issue is calling everyone an idiot versus someone. It's a bad persona in my opinion. Also, while I agree is a persona, assuming so is a poor decision. I know people who I previously thought were joking about being a dick, actually being one.

I'll give you the punch in the face being a bit much. Lets change it to tripping someone. If my friend did it, I'd laugh. If some random person did, I'd probably physically assault them, if I knew it was intentional.

"Pretend to be an asshole for long enough and you'll become one."

The whole thing is played so self-aware that this doesn't work.

I actually completely disagree with this. I believe if you play a role long enough and constantly enough, you will be affected by it. You're also making the assumption he's self aware, and not actually an asshole, which may or may not be true.

Honestly, I didn't watch much of the video. I didn't really take any specific lines, but I've seen the previous episodes. I'm doing this based on the whole. That to me seems to be an arrogant jerk. I'm taking the average of the context, as well as the tone in the overall episode. Not nitpicking any lines specifically.

Of course I don't have to watch the show, the point is that a company I support has content I dislike. Content that could otherwise be filled with something I enjoy. I'm not saying my vote is worth more than others, I just want my opinion to be out there.

In your old lady example, as weird as it sounds, it was normal back then to be racist. Of course it is no longer socially acceptable to be so. It isn't socially acceptable, for the most part, to be an arrogant jerk that insults people that read their posts idiots.

Also, please don't call me a liar by implying I'm faking offense. I'm as offended by this person as I am the scent of sewage. I just wish it would go away.

Responding to the last part, have you never observed someone write a lengthy comment only to finish it calling the other person a troll? Occasionally people do respond to trolls, granted it is foolish. But from what I gather you take me to be foolish anyways, so I wouldn't put it past you.

At least I know you care. That's what is important.

Anyways, lets all be friends. While we offer dissenting opinions, we aren't enemies. After all, we must share quite a bit in common given we frequent the same site.

Edit : Corrected some spelling errors that effect the content.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
- Your job is to rank movies from good to excellent.
- What if I don't like them?
- That's what's good for.

OT: I find little to no fun in this series, I like the subjects he takes, I agreed with some of his perspectives, but the way he delivers it, it's really annoying. Reminds me of that image with the special olympics on arguing on the internet. Which is a pity, because the subjects are interesting, like I said before.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Jim, if all of us are going to be saddened by your death, maybe we have the right to call you out on your weight. >:D

Not a regular viewer but this video was quite nice. good follow up to ExtraCredits me thinks.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Jim you need not to worry about us when you go. We'll all go with you of course, we'll all gladly commit suicide knowing you're on the other side.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
I'm trying, like really trying to give this series another chance, you know? The subject looks interesting, I'll see if his style has improved over the past month or so (haven't watched since the third one).

But this is not a good start:
Jim Sterling said:
Oh you poor, sad little cretins. You are all so wrong. Always. Forever. Jim Sterling illuminates your path, but what good does that do when you refuse to open your eyes? Oh, he's so much better than you.
...and I couldn't sit through the whole review. Sounded like he might have had some interesting ideas waiting to come out, but after two minutes I just couldn't take it any more.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
It's unfortunate that this topic was covered in the Jimquisition. I'd like to see it discussed in a video that wasn't mundane and boring and didn't insult my intelligence.

Maybe Extra Credits will discuss it in the near future?

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
I still want to see Jim's review scores from Metacritic for one reason only: Sonic Colors.

The only reason it doesn't have a score higher than the DS version is because of Jim's bullshit review.

Just accept the fact that your review are terrible, Jim. Hell, I want to see him kicked off of the Escapist along with Yahtzee for his general asshattery.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
People are still trying to complain Jim off of The Escapist? I must clap towards the weeks you all spent doing that. It seems to be working wonderfully...

Also, for the person wondering about him and his use of "God". I'd surmise that he just wants to emphasize how important he is, not insult those of faith.

And finally, I use review scores~ Say what you want about them, but very, very, *very* few games outside of the 80-100 range stand up to the actual games that have those high scores. Maybe you yourself may have "more fun than I had with this popular game", but once you add in the technical aspects and the solid gameplay most of the higher games have, your "okay game" doesn't look too appealing. There's no need to justify your purchase, nor convince yourself you're playing a better game than the ones playing the popular and high rated games.

Not that I like Call of Duty: Modern Gameplay 77 or hate Drakengard: Incest-Related-Suicides, but review scores from reliable sites tend to do a great job at explaining their score and why I should pay attention to a game I otherwise snuffed at. I like Drakengard more than I could ever like CoD, but I would never rate it higher than than the recent CoD games. I just don't have that kind of bias, especially since people rely on me for a fair assessment of a game their interested in.

Of course, if a gamer is coming to me for which one has the original story or characters~ Now excuse me as I reach out for this rage-shield. ~_~

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Great discussion. Terrible video. What on Earth did any of that game footage have to do with anything!? It's nice to see someone filling out their video with something other than stock photos and their own poorly designed clip art, but it should also be contextual.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I still don't think Jim works as good on camera as he does in "paper" but I'm becoming more and more fond of him.
Recently I started visiting Destructoid and I'm actually anxious to read his articles about games and news.

EDIT: Am I the only one who gets an "inspector gadget" vibe from the music in the background?

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
Any game whose PR reps so much as tacitly implies black-listing of any kind should be subject to boycott.
Yes, as a matter of fact, two wrongs do make a right sometimes(not that there is anything wrong with boycotting someone for using such underhanded tactics against anyone issuing an unfavorable review)!

Alright, that's just a further excuse for those who don't want to buy Duke Nukem Forever to continue doing so while feeling as if they are taking a stand against bullies trying to push around critics and pull the wool over the consumer public's eyes.

Does this mean that Meta-Critic gets Jim Sterling's approval or at least acceptance?
So....does that mean Meta-Critic gets about a 6 out of 10 or what?

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
I dont know maybe if certain reviewers didnt bomb game scores for attention then I think it would be fixed

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Wait, so metacritic WAS to blame? I dont think he got the message through even after 5 minutes of you saying it again and again. The worst thing is agreeing with him from the start. Please take on more issues than one or expand on it next time, please.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
It's a dirty job but only a crazy bastard like Jim can do it. Thumbs up!

Note to people who freak out over Jim's Persona: turn on FM radio sometime and listen to any number of chat shows; that'll put Jim's style and "webcam personality" all into perspective.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Jim seems like he really hates doing these videos. Obviously he's trying to play the "thank god for me" bits for laughs, and maybe it's just me... but that's the attitude I'm getting.