Jimquisition: Neutered

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
PromethianSpark said:
Is anyone else have difficulty accessing this content
I'm actually unable to watch any jimquisition videos as of last night. Plus, the image link to the series on the main page calendar is blank. 99% sure it's not on our end.

I sent in a report but I guess the people who handle that had the day off? And today off as well?

(and why isn't there a place in the forum to report bugs/problems? that's pretty unusual)

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
JimB said:
Why not? Society is nothing but persons, a whole bunch of persons. Why can't we assign responsibility to each of those persons as well as the other one?
Because society isn't the sum of it's parts. It is the lowest common denominator of them. You cannot blame single individuals (with the exception of persons with power and authority) for the actions of a group, because they play such a small role if any. Now, if you want groups and people in power of these groups to take responsibility and let them take the roles of a parent, a teacher and/or a moral guide, you'll end up with cameras all over the street, Prism and Saints Row IV getting banned, for example. Our society needs law but law isn't morality. Morality can be found in sociology, psychology, philosophy and even in some religions. These fields could influence the law more but they are still there. My point is, if you are not ready for a revolution, you shouldn't give the current system more power to have over the lives of individuals by demanding they take responsibility. The system will elude responsibility and try to do stupid things that everyone seems to want, to shut them up. An individual can be a sensible person, open to reason and discussion but groups and persons with a strong connection to a group, are almost allways going to behave as ignorant, stupid, irresponsible brats.

Mid-Missouri. I have a job that has me traveling all throughout a radius of an hour's drive from the home office, and yeah, we love to tell women that they can be pretty if only they'll give a doctor thousands of dollars to cut the ugly away.
Sorry to hear that.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
JimB said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
What do words 'actually mean?'
Depends on the word, doesn't it? You're the one who says you refuse to stop using turns of phrase that people have criticized you for using because you think they have a burden to know what your actual meaning is despite the specific words you chose; I think that is nothing less than a tacit admission of the validity of those complaints.
More importantly, it depends on the context. As I have said before, neither side of a conversation has a burden to understand what the other is saying, it's a co-operative activity. But you can't use a word with more than one meaning without relying on the other person to interpret it correctly. It is not despite the words I choose as if I'm being deliberately obtuse, I'm using words in ways that are known and common, but some people attribute attitudes to their use that are not present, and it's my experience that they do this deliberately out of an agenda that I disagree with.

Neither of us are changing on this. I will read your reply if you make one, but otherwise probably let this thread be, unless you really want to continue.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
I love how Saints Row lets you design your avatar to look exactly like you.
Indeedie - I like the fact that you can just about be anything human that you want to be. That said, I mainly use the stock characters because I can never think what to make them look like... that said, I'm glad the feature's there, and replaying Saints Row 3 again, I can see how inclusive they actually are; its surprising really that a game that goes out of its way to let you 'lolz' citizens, society as a whole, and normality in general actually manages to be so inclusive. I do hope Saint's Row 4 manages that too (and from what Jim and the escapist's review suggest, I think they have).

Stabby Joe said:
Saints Row IV seems to be receiving a lot of "pre-hate", at least what I've seen so far, mostly because of story and gameplay changes. Despite that though I wonder how much it will come up here.
Indeedie - I watched Total Biscuit's first impressions, and he seemed to show the game has some glaring flaws...BUT he concluded that the game just tries to go out of its way to be so fun, and the dialog/story are good enough to make it an enjoyable experience.

TB isn't perfect, obviously, but he generally seems to manage to sum up a game in a way that you can tell if -you'd- like the game, not if he did or not. I think I probably will.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
nuttshell said:
JimB said:
Why not? Society is nothing but persons, a whole bunch of persons. Why can't we assign responsibility to each of those persons as well as the other one?
Because society isn't the sum of its parts. It is the lowest common denominator of them. You cannot blame single individuals (with the exception of persons with power and authority) for the actions of a group, because they play such a small role if any.
I think you misunderstand my point. When I talk about assigning responsibility to persons, I mean real responsibility, not the blame of being associated with a larger group. The actions we all take are real, and they all ripple. If society is the lowest common denominator of its population as you say, then sure, some enlightened individual or another has in no way participated in endemic sexism...but that Bodhisattva also has not done enough to make society better than it is, so that is his responsibility as well. How much responsibility is not my call to make, and I'm not interested in assigning penalties, so don't mistake me there: All I want, all I consider to be responsibility, is people not pretending themselves blameless.

nuttshell said:
Our society needs law but law isn't morality.
No. Law is social order. Morality has little to do with it.

(I just mentioned that to point out that you and I don't disagree on everything.)

MeChaNiZ3D said:
As I have said before, neither side of a conversation has a burden to understand what the other is saying, it's a co-operative activity. But you can't use a word with more than one meaning without relying on the other person to interpret it correctly.
Look, can we drop the hypotheticals? I'm getting dizzy trying to talk about this without talking about this. What word are you using that has two definitions, one of which contradicts the other so much that it changes the entire meaning of what you're saying?

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
JimB said:
All I want, all I consider to be responsibility, is people not pretending themselves blameless.
Yes, it would be nice, if people in groups would do that more often. Saying, for example: "Listen, we know we were dicks and we apoligize for it. We are doing everything we can to correct our mistakes." and actually doing something about it but they don't. They will try everything to distract the public from their mistakes, ignore and miscredit the critics, turn the mistake into some kind of virtue, play the unknowing victim or the underdog card, polirizing public opinion and actually doing some damage in the process, until they can finally go to the bank again. Almost every group that has ever made a mistake in it's lifetime hasn't stood up to admit it. Even when they admit, they usually sound like complete dicks about it. And I know of no group that hasn't tried anything of the above before admiting a mistake.

(I just mentioned that to point out that you and I don't disagree on everything.)
I am sorry, if my style and focus points of interest led you to believe that I had that impression...I actually believe we have very similar views and I enjoy this conversation as it helps me formulate my own views on this topic which I feel strongly about (society, group dynamics and morality).

Cyan.

May 10, 2010
deathjavu said:
PromethianSpark said:
I'm actually unable to watch any jimquisition videos as of last night. Plus, the image link to the series on the main page calendar is blank. 99% sure it's not on our end.

I sent in a report but I guess the people who handle that had the day off? And today off as well?

(and why isn't there a place in the forum to report bugs/problems? that's pretty unusual)
All his videos still dont work and there hasnt been any Jimquisition uploads to the escapist youtube account in a while either.

Smells a lot like that time Extra Credits split with the Escapist...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
PromethianSpark said:
Yeah, video doesn't work for me for some reason. Not a site issue as I just watched a couple from MovieBob, so clearly Jim is just broken. Horribly, horribly broken.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
nuttshell said:
I am sorry, if my style and focus points of interest led you to believe that I had that impression [that we disagree on everything].
Oh no, not at all! Quite the opposite, in fact. I tend to focus on disagreements in my responses more than agreements, sometimes to the exclusion of agreements, so I was worried my agreement would actually come off as a disagreement without that disclaimer.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
PromethianSpark said:
Yeah, video doesn't work for me for some reason. Not a site issue as I just watched a couple from MovieBob, so clearly Jim is just broken. Horribly, horribly broken.
He's probably just punishing us for not viewing the video the day it's uploaded. Hope it gets fixed soon though, as it's rather annoying.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
JimB said:
Oh no, not at all! Quite the opposite, in fact.
Oh, thats great then, I am relieved. :) It doesn't do a discussion any good, if it focuses on agreement...we have masturbation for that. I know, most people don't understand discussions and assume that opposing opinions are verbal agression or even abuse...

GryffinDarkBreed

Jul 21, 2008
bobleponge said:
Thing: Someone suggests that games ought to feature more women and minorities.
Gamers' Response: "But I don't to stifle the artists' creativity by forcing them to be politically correct all the time!"

Thing: Developers are prevented (some may even say "stifled") from making games about women and minorities, because apparently those games don't sell as well.
Gamers' Response: "Whatever, that's just how the free market works, bro."
Those are not mutually exclusive circumstances though, and you cannot blame the consumer for them.

We don't stop them from making them. We don't clamor for them either. A game should be more about the gameplay than the dangly bits between a character's legs. If the gameplay is tight, then sales will follow. If not, then you'll face middling reviews and sales. Free market is a bit of a rough place when something doesn't sell.

Sure you can quote figures like "More and more women are playing games" And it's true, but these '40%' figures you hear are unfairly bloated, since they count Facebook games as games. As far as publishers are concerned though, the female console market hasn't really grown much at all by market share. Games are expensive to make, at least at the $60 shelf tag retail price point. I'm not going to risk a couple million of my capital on a game that might move only 100,000 units.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Father Time said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Some people in this thread seem to be a bit too all or nothing about this.
Perhaps Jim is being taken a bit too litterally.

There's room for all kinds of games in the gaming industry. That said, not every game needs Gender Select, or a female character option, BUT, the industry needs to mature into a media that welcomes many kinds of gamers and be more common about it. It needs to stop relying on the default white guy that's around 30, and branch out more into other ethnicities, and the other gender. I know they -can- do this.
Here's the thing though.

Let's say none of them want to do this. That left to their own devices and free from publisher intervention they'd all make games starring men. What should we do? Where does the blame fall to to make those games with women when there's maybe 100 different development teams if not more.

Rebel_Raven said:
Samus, Lara Croft, and pretty much every other memorable female protagonist we remember fondly are likely creations of guys.
We've seen a handful of assorted ethnicities in gaming, but I don't think we've seen enough.
I mean am I really to believe bullshit like Naughty Dog can't make a decent female protagonist? Or that Rockstar with it's writing team, and a taste for the controvercial can't make a female lead in GTA?
I haven't played the last of us but does that girl not count? Or does it have to be a playable one?
I'll cross that bridge about your first scenario when we get there, honestly. I do feel like that there will not be a 100% no women scene in development if they were left to their own devices.

As for The Last of Us, you can play as the girl for a chapter from what I've been told.
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't really count to me that you can play as her for a chapter. While it is awesome, while Naughty Dog, and Rockstar make some nice female characters in general, I'm hard pressed to accept anything but a console game where you play as the female from one of the game to the other without being forced into a change of perspectives.

Until these games with women as the star playable character release a few a year, and steadily, on multiple consoles/handhelds I'm not going to be pleased. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split, or a split with male protagonists, and gender select, multiple character choices, etc. by a large degree, or anything, but I certainly want options, and variety. I think the words used to describe the releases should be "common" and, for at least some of them, "Highly anticipated." I'd imagine the anticipation for the releases means the series doesn't suck. :p

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Nice for Jim to prove he doesn't know what he's talking about... yet again. Oh sure customization is nice and may make the game more inclusive but it costs time and money. And yes that's the problem. I didn't play Saint's Row but it wouldn't surprise me other aspects of the game suffered from this heavy investment in customization. Until the day you can add customization by snapping your fingers this issue isn't as straight forward as it may look. And let's not forget customization isn't as straight forward as it may look either. Take Metal Gear Solid. If they'd allow you to make a female snake for instance they'd need to adapt a lot of text in the cutscenes but also the gender of the big boss, liquid and solidus. And the bigger the story the higher the cost of customization. It's easy to say: "see that game does this, why doesn't the rest?" if you aren't even going to use your brain and think about the implications of doing "this".

And inclusiveness =/= creativity. And if you ask me I prefer devs to be "policed" by the market than by guilt induced by Political Correctness Activists. And the simple reason why is: the policing enforced by the market aims at maximizing utility for said market, which means more consumer satisfaction. And somehow that sounds good... Really wouldn't know why...

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Good work on the subject matter in this one, Jim. I know sometimes it feels like several videos are made about similar topics, but this time it seemed like new things were being said.