Jimquisition: Objectification And... Men?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
The following response is towards the "fine gentlemen" that believe they are being objectified just as badly as women are in video games, comic books, etc...

I can never fully understand the level of self-delusion that some people have to truly believe that males are treated like sex symbols or objects of desire on the same level as women. I hate to break it to you, but its not the same!

And don't give me the B.S. that topics like these fall under the "beating a dead horse" category. Regardless of what Monxeroth might have to say about it, these topics keeping coming up is because they are still a problem within the games industry and in other forms of media. I don't care how big of a blanket you've got on hand, using it to hide the elephant in the living room does not make it go away. These are serious problems that need to be addressed and resolved with urgency. It's a problem that neither side cannot ignore forever.

What Jim did today, and what he does every week on the Jimquisition, is taking the first step in solving a problem... and that is admitting there is a problem.

The majority of female characters in games are not properly portrayed in video games.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks Jim. I knew that argument was complete BS, but I was never quite sure how to articulate exactly "why" to myself.

The hyper idealized characters, male or female, are just plain boring to me anyhow. A character has to have some faults, physical or mental, in order to really feel like a human being.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Monxeroth said:
Why? Because i dont happen to agree with this one in particular or the way it presents itself while there are numerous other Jimquisition episodes that i deem fucking gold-worthy (no sarcasm intended, im actually being serious real talk here ok?)

Its just a mere observation and i havent said and or implied that you should just quit and never do this again, its your show, you have the right and the only entitlement to anything here to do as you wish.
If these subjects and these types of videos are what you want to produce in the future then, ok, do that, your videos and your show and my subjective opinion or anyone elses for that matter should NEVER be the reason to compromise the integrity and the presentation of your videos.

Like you said, some people do not like the jimquisition persona and presentation.
...and? who gives a flying fuck if people dont like it or not?
Internet and videos like these are personality driven - Totalbiscuit

So i find it just contradictory for people to demand change in personality and peronas when..thats what some people are here for, thats why im here >_>
For the second time, you're altering what your argument was. It's not that you "disagreed with this one in particular." You said my whole show repeats itself and only says the same things. If that's what you believe I do, I wish to amicably suggest an alternative Monday morning viewing.
LMFAO that made my monday thank you Mr Sterling.

OT:
Good video yet again, I love that we as gamers are definitely hung up on this topic but it is cool to pull someone's spine out their ass and beat another person with it...... VS non-gamers seem more tweaked off to see the spinal-rectal removal, and see the TnA as a meh topic since the parts are not real.... I feel like I missed something when they handed out the outrage pills, because neither issue seems like it is "threatening" to anyone or going away this millenium....

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Ashoten said:
I have heard this argument before when people talk about comic book women being objectified. This is the best response I have seen.

Make of it what you will.
I would play that. I'd play its brains out.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
Progress is made through adversity and by people who lead by example. Progress is not made by whining, complaining, bitching or sitting on a high horse claiming that everyone who doesn't side with women and give them what they want(or rather what pathetic excuses of white knighters want) while accusing everyone else of being misogynistic, intolerant, bigoted or whatever else overused words there is for people who barely even exist in the western world.
Exactly.

You know why homosexuality is starting to become accepted in Western society more and more? It's not because gay, lesbian and bisexual people bitched and moaned, and called people homophobes, it's because they led by example and showed people that there is no difference between love between two people of the opposite sex and the same sex beyond the physical. It was done by people determined to show that there was nothing wrong with them, and by being honest and open with themselves.

The suffragettes didn't ***** and moan that the patriarchy was keeping them down, while accusing men of being the problem. They got up, stood up for themselves and actively worked to make a difference. They showed that they were not willing to be treated like second class citizens and worked to improve their lot.

Sitting on forums such as these and complaining isn't helping anybody. It's not raising awareness, and it's not making people change their mind. It's making people roll their eyes that people are acting as though fictional boobs in games are on par with unequal pay in the workplace. That people live in a society where their gender cannot be discriminated against by law are victims because a group of people out to make money are trying to appeal to those who are most likely to give it. That they think they have the right to whatever entertainment that they want, just because they want it.

Discussions like these are like those plastic wristbands people wear to support anti-bullying or whatever. All they do is make people think they are actually contributing to fixing a problem, rather than actually doing something about it. They can then sit back, feeling proud to be against sexism, or perceived sexism while having done absolutely nothing to sort it out.

Don't get me wrong, people are right to want whatever they want, and I completely support the idea that more and better female protagonists in games can only be a good thing. But I am not deluded in thinking that I am entitled to it, nor am I under the belief that I have the right to tell others what they should spend their time and money making, just because it doesn't fit my particular desires when it comes to gaming.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Idealization???
There are guys dreaming of being braindead beefcakes?
Good to know.
Now could you please help me, Jim?
You round these guys in one spot, please.
In the meantime I will get a gun (something automatic preferably) and make a bunch of pipebombs.
Give me location and time, and get a chair and popcorn for yourself >:D

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Thank you Jim for setting the record straight as to which of our shallow, one-sided characters are objectified and which are not. God bless. I also hate that smug attitude of yours, keep up the good work.

RaikuFA said:
Theres some other issues that need to be addressed in this debate. Like the fact that Senran Kagura might never make it outside of Japan due to the west being prudish and crying sexist at anyything that has boobs.
No matter how objectified a women is in a game, no matter how much we argue about it, it has never stopped a game from being released. If anybody says that, they are making an excuse. Argue away.

erttheking said:
This thread is going to end in a flame war. This cannot be avoided. I really do want to talk about this in a calm and rational manner but...that's just not gonna happen, let's face it.
I don't understand how a "flame war" differs from a heated debate, and I don't see whats wrong with it, if you have something to say, just say it.

In all the threads I've seen recently on this subject, nobody even cares that much to get upset about it. We all just like to argue with other random internet people. It's why we're here. It's fun, join us.

In the time it took me to read page 6 of this thread(I'm a bit slow, a few minutes maybe?), 16 more people posted comments. So clearly Jim, this topic is dead and you should stop bringing it up.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
the December King said:
Why do I often come here to hear about games and entertainment, and end up leaving feeling like someone has tried to make me feel bad for being a white male? Did I do something wrong in playing certain games and liking them?
Quit being disingenuous. Jim didn't criticize games that have idealized male protagonists or its audiences. He was criticizing those who try to equate objectification and idealization.