Jimquisition: Online Passes Are Bad For Everybody

pheipl

Jun 24, 2010
The very existence of used game selling (in this format) is total bull.
I don't care what you Americans complain about, a game in central europe is the exact same price but in some countries (mine) our salaries don't hold a candle to US salaries (it's a joke to compare them) yet I still buy new games. HOW DARES GAMESTOP to re-sell a game and give nothing to the publisher / developer (what ever) ?
I don't understand developers that let their game be re-sold and get NOTHING from that process. I 100% disagree with you sir!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Zyst said:
Sucal said:
Just pointing out, that any american who complains about $60 games should come buy games in Australia.
Just saying, anyone in the "First World" who complains about game prices should come to any third world country ever.

Games are around 100 (American) Dollars here (Mexico), and the minimum wage is 3 dollars, per day. That's right, not per hour, per day.

So next time you're thinking about complaining how games are really expensive over there, just... think about it, really.
How about if everyone quits trying to devalue the complaints of others because products are priced differently in different countries. The American who is paying $60 isn't to blame for the cost of games in Australia and the Americans complaint is just as valid as the Australians. $60 here is becoming harder and harder to come by but if you live in Australia, you wouldn't know that.

I wish Jim would do a show about that. "I pay more than you so you need to shut the fuck up!" = Bullshit!

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
TheDooD said:
Mouse_Crouse said:
I just don't understand why people are so against used games. The pump money into the industry and courts have upheld time and time again that we have the right to sell our licensed product to others. The publishers not seeing any money dosen't hold up either, because EVERY used game anywhere ever, was once a new game that was purchased.
They're money grubbing bastards that can careless about a happy fan base compared to lining their pockets with more money they'll never spend because they're afraid of taking risks. The funny thing is that Gamestop and other places that sell used games uses the money from said games to buy newer games, stock all those nice things gamers want and publishers want sold as well. They love gamestop when they're stocking their NEW stuff but wants them to burn in napalm the moment something used of theirs is for sell.
Have you been to a GameStop lately? Their new game selection is terrible. I find more new games at my local Best Buy, Target and Walmart.

Hell, not a single GameStop within 40 miles of me got Demon's Souls in for 3-4 weeks after it was released in the States. I know, because I checked back frequently and they eventually said they'd inform of when they got it in stock. I already had it of course, because flipping Super Target got in Demon's Souls before a store dedicated ENTIRELY TO GAMING.

Also they're refusal to carry more than 15 PC games makes me want to punch walls. Why would they? No ability to resell those.
The closest GameStop to me has a pretty decent selection but its on a main road, next door to a starbucks, across the street from a IHOP, Taco bell and Burger King so it's mainly popular games now a days. I noticed its the GameStops that are more out of the way that have really good selections. Plus I been noticed all GameStops aren't ran equally. Different locations you'll get different consumer base and needs. Plus if you wonder if GameStop doesn't have something like Demons Souls sold in 40 miles of you. You aren't the only people looking for that game as well. Supply and Demand bit you in the ass, so its not their fault that you couldn't find something and most likely a few 100 or so people are looking for as well.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
pheipl said:
The very existence of used game selling (in this format) is total bull.
I don't care what you Americans complain about, a game in central europe is the exact same price but in some countries (mine) our salaries don't hold a candle to US salaries (it's a joke to compare them) yet I still buy new games. HOW DARES GAMESTOP to re-sell a game and give nothing to the publisher / developer (what ever) ?
I don't understand developers that let their game be re-sold and get NOTHING from that process. I 100% disagree with you sir!
Tell me sunshine, what other industry that produces and sells goods gets a percentage of used sales? What's that? None you say. What makes games so special?

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
JustaGigolo said:
You know what hurts the game industry even more than online passes? Cheap people who wait a month after a game comes out just to get a used copy of a game, thus giving all their money to Gamestop, and not the creators or publishers of the game.

"Oh no, I can't play this shitty multiplayer without putting in a code. Oh woe is me."
Yes, because everyone can easily afford to pay for every game they want new before the price drop or before used ones start appearing.

Whoops, sorry, I didn't mean yes. I meant no, no way, and if you can then you are very much in the minority and you shouldn't be blaming others for having less money than you.
Gaming is a luxury hobby. If you can't afford it, then you need to find yourself other hobby. It's quite easy to avoid buying used games and still save a ton of money. There are plenty of free to play games and plenty of deals. Especially Steam and other DD services have tons of good deals all the time. And of course retailers have their own bargain bins. You don't always have to buy games at day one.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
I know what he's trying to say to game publishers.

I.E. I bought Oblivion for £15 from Game and loved it, then a friend told me that Fallout 3 was better so I bought that second-hand too and LOVED it. New Vegas came out and I gave Obsidian 40 of my pounds. They win.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
JustaGigolo said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
JustaGigolo said:
You know what hurts the game industry even more than online passes? Cheap people who wait a month after a game comes out just to get a used copy of a game, thus giving all their money to Gamestop, and not the creators or publishers of the game.

"Oh no, I can't play this shitty multiplayer without putting in a code. Oh woe is me."
Yes, because everyone can easily afford to pay for every game they want new before the price drop or before used ones start appearing.

Whoops, sorry, I didn't mean yes. I meant no, no way, and if you can then you are very much in the minority and you shouldn't be blaming others for having less money than you.
If you don't have the money for something, don't buy it. Also, don't complain when a company wants to make a profit so they can continue to make games.

And people wonder where the self entitled, gamer brat stereotype came from.

Fucking economics, how does it work?
Everything goes down in price when nobody wants it anymore to help clear stock. If you're going to complain about economics, how can you forget that? You pay another form of currency if you can't afford to get it early and that is time.

Fuck, next thing you know people who watch sky movies instead of going to the cinema are going to be called self entitled film brats.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
BrotherRool said:
Point 3 is rubbish again because people will get better at it, like how Steam was completely crud when it first released.
And it's still fairly much crud. While it's better than some, it's still a bad way of doing it with a dodgy offline functionality, hilariously bad customer service, silly pricing (in Europe at least) and god damn hats. Gamers Gate is much superior.

BrotherRool said:
And one minute of time really isn't that much of an issue. Take a chill pill instead, the information age is ruining your patience and respect for others :D Games as they are are stealing any worth from your life, its not like its an experience that will transcend your death or help other people.
No, it's the publishers and devs that have no respect for their customers. It's really that simple. While one minute indeed is not much it's still too much. As a PC gamer I know where it leads when the publishers treat you like shit. Oh, it starts out harmless enough but before you know it you're trying to play your game, only you cannot because Steam fucked up a CD key with TAGES or the secuROM client can't connect or StarForce forgot to make a 64bit version of their DRM or printed the wrong key in the cover or Steams offline function craps out again. That all started with a simple cd check. That hurt nobody, right? So don't just accept this crap like it's a fair deal.

BrotherRool said:
In general, your false points are made even worse by the fact that used games are now being sold within the first week of a game being released. Used games take a serious amount of money from devs, and considering online actually creates an expense, used games are costing money to the people who made them, even before you begin trying to work out whether sales they would have made otherwise are greater than the sales will may potential arise as a result of a sequel down the line.
Perhaps the publishers should think a bit about why the games are being sold on after so short a while then? I propose that they themselves has created a market of disposable games by over saturation and shovelling a million titles out. Add to that the blatant disrespect for their own customers and it's a small wonder.

Furthermore, if P2P servers cost them very little I imagine. It's not like they are hosting a lot of it, and Microsoft makes sure they get paid as well.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If somebody knows John Riccatello (or whatever he's name is) please do sen him this video and tell him that I said Fuck You!

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
This problem will disapear, if digital distribution takes over, because somehow DD seems to get away with having no second hand market, because they're the only ones capable of providing it on their platforms, and somehow, people don't seem to care about it that way...

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
alinos said:
Nurb said:
I'm surprised that he hasn't pointed out that there is NO OTHER INDUSTRY that feels entitled to more money when a customer resells their product.

Shit, that's like companies demanding a cut of the sales from ebay.
except the games industry is like no other.

when you buy a used car it has wear and tear. A game does not. (if a used game has wear and tear generally it's painstakingly obvious. But trying telling whether or not the headgasket on the used car you have bought doesn't have a crack in it. That's going to break in a month.

You don't buy a car drive it to Mcdonalds then decide you want a new car. take it down to the lot you just bought the thing from slap a 10% discount on it and sell it. It simply doesn't work that way.
But I also don't have to buy a second car if I want someone to ride in my passenger seat.

And I'm not in any great danger of the highways being revoked due to lack of interest.

A difference in format does not justify a reduction of rights.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I buy used most of the time and I almost never play online, except for King of fighters, for wich i'm going to make an exception and buy KOF XII new. Good thing it's going to cost 49.99 usd, here's going to be around 700 pesos. Games that are 60 usd are 1,000 pesos here in mexico, screw that.

second word ???

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
teisjm said:
This problem will disapear, if digital distribution takes over, because somehow DD seems to get away with having no second hand market, because they're the only ones capable of providing it on their platforms, and somehow, people don't seem to care about it that way...
Here here. If more AAA games could just be dled to my PS3 I would love it. I have a great connection and with proper preloading its no problem for slower connected users. But no they dont want to alienate brick and mortor stores like gamestop...who they hate...idiots.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Too bloody right Jim! I hate the online pass system! But the biggest problem I have with it is just the concept in itself. Publishers have no right to the money of a game being sold pre-owned. I have no idea where they got that idea because it exists nowhere else in consumer products! It's unbelievably greedy and selfish to believe that you are entitled to everything that happens to that game in the future! Once you sell the game that's it, you have no right to say what happens to it. The agreement involved in selling a game means that you have to give up a product in return of money, you're not allowed to then choose what happens after that. You don't expect Universal or Disney or anyone to want to take your money when you buy a movie in the bargin bin at Blockbusters. It would be insane if Ford demanded you pay them when you buy a second hand car! Games are no different! The whole idea is just insane!

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
So tired of online passes, online activation and DRM.
Shit like that makes me crack, hack and mod my registry and exe-files.

Dec 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
Sucal said:
Just pointing out, that any american who complains about $60 games should come buy games in Australia.
And any Australian who complains about game prices should try buying their games in New Zealand.
And any Kiwi who complains about game prices should try buying their games in Morocco.
And any Moroccan who complains about game prices should try bumming a guard dog...

OT: Sorry Jim but;
You're right, you're points are solid, but I fail to see the need to dedicate a whole episode to explain this very simple concept. Or maybe I just don't spend enough time on the internet.