Jimquisition: Only The Lonely

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Only The Lonely

The videogame industry wants you to believe that the offline experience is for miserable loners.

Watch Video

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, judging by your intro alone, I had absolutely no idea you were going to talk about loneliness in gaming. Personally, even in multiplayer, I will play free for all because I do not like depending on other people a lot of times. Also, WOO atheism!

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I would like to point out that some of the best games of all time, like Super Metroid, are single player experiences, and that game in particular rides on the feeling of loneliness for much of it's atmosphere. I think many current developers care so much about just making some extra $$ they don't even account for how multilayer might effect the atmosphere of their game. They just know it's a shiny new thing and it has to be crammed in there.

Quite possibly the most hilarious and ironic thing about all this is that most multilayer games have the shortest longevity. Servers get shut down, the next iteration of halo/CoD come out and the previous one is forgotten and swept under the rug. Oh sure, you can still play Halo 2 and the original CoD games, but... not really. It's not like 'Shadow of The Colossus', which will sit on a pedestal until the end of time. Sony might not even exist as a game company 40 years from now and this game will still be there. You won't need any Sony servers or other people to play it with to get the best and fullest experience it has to offer.

I swear, between turning everything multilayer and trying for an all digital future, the game industry is burning their candle at both ends. It's staggering how naive they must think we are. But part of me is kind of glad that in 20-30 years almost every game coming out now will be unplayable. It will force people to go back and play the classics lol

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Jim my friend, as awesome as you are, I can't help but think you will suffer the same fate as the late George Carlin. Any how, back on topic, yea I too enjoy playing single player games for the social deprivation.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
Good on, Jim! One problem I have with a multiplayer focus is with me. I buy games that are a couple of years old, or nobody would really want to play multiplayer on. If a game's focus was on multiplayer, than I would be losing on a experience because I bought the game late.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
It's why I'm really happy to hear, Dishonoured and Skyrim do well, because it shows people sometimes want to be alone.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I think im the only person on this bloody site that enjoyed Bioshock 2's multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, I see the flaws and plot holes present in the single player (F*ck Sofia Lamb, how dare they try to insinuate she was at the same level as Andrew RyaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!) but I generally enjoyed the frantic-ness... if thats a word, of the multiplayer. Sure I suppose using the money for it on the single player may have lead to a better single player product but I don't necessarily hold that against the multiplayer experience.

OT: Man I miss Dungeon Keeper...

Radioactive Kitten

Nov 16, 2009
Most of my games are single player because I do enjoy playing alone quite a bit. I have some games with co-op and such for when I want to play with friends, but for the most part I'd much rather let myself become the character and get immersed in the game's world, and the existence of even just one other player is enough to destroy any sort of immersion I might have had.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Well, I *am* an anti-social loser in full time, whose love of games growed from a dislike of humans, but otherwise I agree with everything that you just said.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well said, Willem.

OT: I agree.

Slightly off topic: One other big problem I've been having with this whole "everything needs multiplayer" mentality? That they've also been cutting out couch co-op. I don't mind online multiplayer, but when my brother or cousins come over, I want to be able to play with them without each of us having our own copy of the game, console and TV.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Part of the problem is that it's viewed as unnatural to want to be alone. Humans are considered social creatures and when someone doesn't want to be social, there's clearly something wrong with them.

The reality is that some people, myself included, are introverts. They're more comfortable being alone with their own thoughts and in some cases need to be alone in order to think clearly.

This idea that seclusion is a bad thing is what's translating into games. All this social connectivity is ok for certain games and in small doses, but not for everything.

Honestly, I think devs are using this social crap as an excuse to put online drm into their games.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
EA really needs to re-evaluate this 'everything must have multi player' policy, though the fact they're proud of it shows they didn't think in-depth about it in the first place. After all, Skyrim isn't popular because of it's always on co-operative play, it's popular because there's always something to do, always somewhere new to explore.
I sometimes think this 'must have multi player' thought is really an excuse to skimp on content for the single player, thinking the multi player will fill in the re-playability gap, much like some MMOs focus on PvP as an excuse to not give any meaningful endgame content or content in general.
Some games don't need to rely on content as there's room for the user to experiment. Minecraft as well as management games like Theme Park/Hospital, Dungeon Keeper and Sim City have plenty of re-playability as there's always a new way of approaching the game itself or an idea to expand on something you did previously. I spent hours on Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts building vehicles (even making a working catapult and ballista) and over 5 years on City of Heroes making new characters (with 64 characters when the game was shut down and plenty of concepts I would have loved to have made, but seeing as NCsoft want to push the grindy, PvP forced borefest I have to just go and twiddle my thumbs and give my money to Cryptic instead)

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Well, now I want a Willem Dafoe action figure even more than before...

On topic, I would say that I agree with you, but then it's also true that I have played only 2 multiplayer games in my whole life and I basically never played the multiplayer section of a game that has also single player, so I guess my agreement is kind of obvious considering that. Multiplayer just isn't the thing for me, and I basically enjoy much more the freedom I have when playing single player games.

Jim, will Willem Dafoe junior ever start his own series? I believe he could give us some great things!

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
The intro had me almost in tears laughing. I cant believe how butthurt these "true believers" get over a sexy fatman on the Internets telling them that their saviors is fake.

But yea i deff agree sometimes i just want to be left alone and play a game its relaxing i have my multiplayer games for when i want to bother with others.

"nahh Fuck em" -Miniature action fantasy willem dafoe.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Well of course Jesus is under you Jim. :D How else is he going to carry you on the beach?

Also, while I whould like to see co-op in TES/Fallout, I would only want it as something that would be comepletely optional, and be just something for me and someone on my friends list to enjoy.

That said, for the most part there are a lot of really great single-player games that don't need any multiplayer elements.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
This is a great companion piece to Yahtzee's XP column on society becoming the Manic Pixie Dream Girl demanding you socially engage with others at every waking moment. There was a time through much of my 20s I was regularly socializing with dozens of people on a weekly basis, but now I really value my alone time to catch up on my reading, play some single-player games, or spend time with my girlfriend without anybody else. Most of humanity's greatest works of art and philosophy were achieved by people working alone. But I suspect the typical corporate climber who's had to network and schmooze his whole life might not understand that.

Orbot_Vectorman said:
Jim my friend, as awesome as you are, I can't help but think you will suffer the same fate as the late George Carlin.
Enjoying a successful and celebrated career into your 70s despite a lifetime of cardiac problems and substance abuse, and posthumously enshrined as a grandmaster of your craft by your peers? That we could all suffer such a fate!

P.S. Willem Dafoe = best film portrayal of Jesus ever.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
It seems to me that publishers don't push multiplayer because they want everyone to socialize all the time, they do it because it is so much easier to monetize multiplayer than it is to monetize a purely single player game. Single player expansions are more costly, because frankly, they demand more. You expect new levels, stories, etc...

With multiplayer though, you can get away with selling low effort add-ons like a new multiplayer map, a new gun, skins, and hats. These modes are better suited to the dreaded microtransaction than a purely single player game. Why else would Tomb Raider suddenly get a multiplayer feature? Why push God of War into that realm? The answer is simple. Money.

Jan 27, 2011
Personally, I cannot IMAGINE playing XCOM enemy unknown with another player helping my in the campaign. It would destroy the insanely absorbing immersion.

Yeah, playing with friends can be and usually IS a total blast (nods at Borderlands 2, which he has been playing with 2 of his friends and has been having tons of fun in).

But there are lots of games that I want to play alone so that I can tune out of reality and escape for a while into another world...And I can't do that when I have a friend on skype going "Oh LOL, check this out, man!" or "man, that NPC is a douche!"

So yeah, we need to continue to have solo only games as well as multiplayer. You need both to exist.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
I think I mainly enjoy playing single player experiences less for the feeling of 'loneliness', and more so I can just mess around with some of the mechanics the game's presented; it's not as easy doing experimental things when there's someone else watching and capable of screwing up said experiment... unless, you know, the dude's a PART of it.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
I think the real point of this video was to make me stop and start about fifty times simply to see the hidden image behind the quote, so good on you jim you succeeded you might as well have put ha made you look at the bottom too.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012

Jim, I loved the intro and outro to this week's episode. It reminded me that you should do a dramatic reading of this piece of art from way back whenever.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Multiplayer should be optional. Online Multiplayer should be optional. If a developer wants to give people that option, great. But don't force me to deal with SSJGoku_GanjaKing_87 when I don't want to.

And Jim, don't be so modest.. you are better than God or Jesus.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks Jim, your opinions about lonliness were interesting, still your theologically bulletproof arguments were what made this video great.

Thank God for you, and hopefully the all powerful one will keep you around, funny and cleaver for a long time mate.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
PunkRex said:
I think im the only person on this bloody site that enjoyed Bioshock 2's multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, I see the flaws and plot holes present in the single player (F*ck Sofia Lamb, how dare they try to insinuate she was at the same level as Andrew RyaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!) but I generally enjoyed the frantic-ness... if thats a word, of the multiplayer. Sure I suppose using the money for it on the single player may have lead to a better single player product but I don't necessarily hold that against the multiplayer experience.

OT: Man I miss Dungeon Keeper...
You're not alone. I loved Bioshock 2's multiplayer. I don't see why everyone bangs on it all the time.

Xai

Jul 16, 2012
i play tf2, left 4 dead 2, counterstrike, and Borderlands 2 with no one. i join random games, or play singleplayer(l4d and borderlands 2). never has it crossed my mind to ever make friends with anyone i meet in those games. I just love playing games were i have no allies. Its just more fun.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Part of the problem is that it's viewed as unnatural to want to be alone. Humans are considered social creatures and when someone doesn't want to be social, there's clearly something wrong with them.

The reality is that some people, myself included, are introverts. They're more comfortable being alone with their own thoughts and in some cases need to be alone in order to think clearly.

This idea that seclusion is a bad thing is what's translating into games. All this social connectivity is ok for certain games and in small doses, but not for everything.

Honestly, I think devs are using this social crap as an excuse to put online drm into their games.
The difference between introverts and extroverts is one of the main things that I thought of while watching too. Our society acts like it's weird to be introverted and like it's a tiny minority of people who are that way, when it's really rather common. It's just that people are encouraged to act against their nature and implicitly shamed for it or made to feel like there's something wrong with them.

The other thing was that "loneliness" isn't quite the right word. It was a good starting point, but what the video was about seemed more to be "being alone" or "solitude". An extrovert might feel lonely when they're alone, but an introvert needs periods of that interspersed with their social interaction, either as a chance to recharge or to let them relax and focus without being overwhelmed.

MaxwellMouse

Jun 7, 2010
I am with you 100%. I prefer the single player game and the type of immersion that can be brought on by playing a Dark Souls or Skyrim with no disractions. I don't get how some people want to play those games in the same room as others. I like Resident Evil 5 a lot but never played co op and I beat it on every difficulty.

If your game is really good you can keep multiplayer and that immersion. As seen In the souls games and Journey. More thoughtful multiplayer like that please, less tacked on deathmatch.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Thank God for you, Jim. Listen to Willem, that guy knows what he's sayin'.

Oh, and Sim City multiplayer can go to hell, as much as I'm concerned.
Next thing they're telling us will be that they are working on a new Solitaire-game that requires a constant internet connection, because seriously: Who on earth wants to play Solitaire ALONE?!

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
LMAO +1 for all the bible thumber rage he just induced, keep up the good work Jim.

Also agree with him. Where did this (single player is a bad thing) trend come from? I grew up with single player, when I was a kid playing Mario the idea of multiplayer/ co-op was usually waiting till our friend died so you could have a turn. Why is it when ever I hear publishers talking about how great multiplayer is instead of single player it's always some idiot publisher who doesn't even play games "cough EA %%^$ cough"

Sometimes it's not even about loneliness, have these people never watched a TV show or movie alone? RPGs are usually about story and you don't need other people around to enjoy a good story, who's ever been in a movie theater and thought

"Man this movie's great, but it sure would suck if there weren't all these other people here making background noise"

Sometimes it's not even about that, sometimes it's just about you and the machine and beating that &^%$#%& thing. It's a stupid notion to think you need multiplayer for everything, in fact the best kind of multiplayer is the multiplayer that isn't forced down your throat or taking away from the single player game like Demon Souls. Simple easy and completely optional. Than you have multiplayer like Dead Space 2 which was just wasted disc space.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I just love how I can't watch anything gaming/comic/movie/geek culture in general without eventually getting some sort of diatribe about the presenters beliefs, or in the case lack there of. I honestly don't give two shits about Jim's beliefs, Christ complex (be it real or satirical). The reason I watch his stuff and Moviebob's well we're at it is because I find there work pertaining to geek culture interesting. Not because I want to hear about Christ or how Geeks should be worshiping at the First Church of the Spider-man.

As for the episode it's self; fine work as usual.

RobotDinosaur

Feb 27, 2012
One related thought that I've considered before: competitive multiplayer is generally a zero-sum game, one side has to lose for the other to win. That's fine for some people, but I like the small sense of accomplishment that comes from succeeding in my games, and it's not fun for me to play an online game where I can only expect to win 50% of the time, assuming I'm as good as the other players (probably not a valid assumption.) So good single-player experiences are pretty important to me.

That being said, I thought the quasi-mandatory multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 was annoying. But I tried it anyway and really liked it - enough that it got me interested in co-op shooters when I generally avoided shooters altogether before that. Not sure if the end justified the means, but it's almost enough for me to consider giving SimCity a chance. EA may be shoehorning multiplayer into traditionally single-player games, but at least they're shoehorning good-quality, enjoyable multiplayer in.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
agree completely. now there are some games that i enjoy playing with a friend but i cant think of a single game i dont want to play alone. even the games i enjoy playing with friends, i also want to just play alone sometimes. sometimes if im playing a game that doesnt really have much story or any dialog to keep track of, i like to watch tv in the background or sometime. maybe i want to eat dinner or lunch while im gaming. i cant really do that if im playing with someone. im playing a lot of torchlight 2 lately but i could never do a random multiplayer match with people i dont know because i like to clear out the entire map of an area before moving on, which people usually get annoyed with because whatever reason they just want to speed through as quickly as possible

and shooters, in my opinion, were much better before multiplayer because a focus. fps was my favorite genre once, but i find online modes of shooters to be extremely boring and that seems to be the focus of most shooters, so i rarely play them anymore

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Sylveria said:
Multiplayer should be optional. Online Multiplayer should be optional. If a developer wants to give people that option, great. But don't force me to deal with SSJGoku_GanjaKing_87 when I don't want to.
The option would be to not buy multiplayer games, nothing wrong with the likes of Team Fortress. I agree it's place in certain games is unwanted but it could still be the focus of the game if it's done right.

Mr. Omega said:
Slightly off topic: One other big problem I've been having with this whole "everything needs multiplayer" mentality? That they've also been cutting out couch co-op. I don't mind online multiplayer, but when my brother or cousins come over, I want to be able to play with them without each of us having our own copy of the game, console and TV.
Agreed, online multtiplayer has only served as a substitute for when my friends are to busy to actually meet in person, I can't think of a situation where I would say this co-op/vs game would be better if you would play it a town over and had no way to personally interact with me.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
I generally prefer single player games because, now here's a shocker, I don't like teaming up with random strangers online! I don't know these people! I don't like being forced to play with people I don't know. I rarely play L4D or its sequel unless I'm playing with someone I know in real life. Because when crap goes down, I have the person I know to depend on. I'll save a player I don't know, but it's more uncomfortable for me.

This is also why I don't like playing MMOs. Most of them have a focus on getting together with other players to do stuff. And I don't WANT to get together with other players. I don't WANT to have to be in a party to do a raid.

My friend, when we were trying to figure out what to do if I came over to his house, suggested that we play Journey together. I told him that that would defeat the POINT of the game. And I would rather not play it at all, than play it wrong.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ehehe, imaginary indeed... and yeah, while I'm not averse to playing with people in some games sometimes, I most often enjoy solo play.

After all, you wouldn't want to have someone looming over your shoulder when you're enjoying a good book, and you don't always need to watch some TV or a movie with other people, the idea that the interactive nature of Video Games or the fact that they can be enjoyed with other people somehow precludes them from the solitary mental unwinding that entertainment media is strongly associated with is laughable.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Hahahahaha Jesus no want you!~~~~~~

Personally, I DO like multiplayer games... but when I want to play as THE hero, in a game, well... putting it simple, there is ONLY ONE Dante (well... not any more...), ONE Master Chef, ONE doom guy, ONE JESUS. you can't have 1000+ savior of the world, When playing story epic games, I expect it to be single. my friends, can... well... just suck it up and watch me kick ass....

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I like this argument. When I want to play multiplayer in a game, it's there. When I want to play single player, that means I want all other potential players to piss off and leave me to my wanderings. I would actually argue that Mass Effect 3, while the system is potentially flawed in that they tied Galactic Readiness to multiplayer (even though it isn't required due to a rebalancing of required Galactic Readiness when they did the Extended Cut of the ending), the multiplayer, while "just a mindless horde mode" is still a fun mode. I have a few online friends and we still get a good time out of Platinum runs (even though I usually either volunteer for or get stuck on Volus duty), but when I don't want to play multiplayer, single player's there to slake my thirst. Or Minecraft, which lets you opt out of online games so you can play single-player. Either way, you get the idea.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I have to agree with this, sometimes I sign out of teamspeak and steam, claiming I have to leave, only to read a book or play a singleplayer game.
I just don't want to talk to people all day.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm surprised Jim didn't talk about the obvious reason for the whole multiplayer in simcity, its just an excuse for a really annoying drm scheme. The reason that publishers love multiplayer is because it allows them to retain more control of the product. The new simcity is practically an mmo, it doesnt even store save data locally, being social is only their excuse, kind of like blizzards excuse for diablo 3 "multiplayer is the right way to play this so we dont have an offline single player."

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
A good point Jim, sometimes doing things on your own is more preferable. Its like reading, nearly everyone reads something at sometime but while many may join book clubs or go to public readings the vast majority of people most of the time will just want to be alone to read their book.

EDIT

Also if Jesus doesn't want you up there Jim it may be because with you down here he doesn't feel the need to come back himself, as you seem to have everything covered yourself :p

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This is why I utterly prefer to play Dark Souls offline, because I don't want other little shits stabbing me on the back while I'm spelunking and being careful in a dungeon.

Seriously, Dark Souls is the Super Metroid of this generation, this game has an incredible atmosphere that even beats some of today's "horror" games, I wouldn't like that ruined by other people running naked trying to kill me, heck, I don't even want to play this game with friends, as tempting as that idea sounds, that would completely ruin my feeling of loneliness and isolation.

As much as I love playing MMO's (The Secret World being my current addiction and it's utterly awesome), sometimes I just want to pop-in a game and start killing some shit, or just playing an RPG all by myself.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
When I saw the title I was fully prepared to hear Jim belt out a few Journey ballads. I am disappoint.

If video games went totally multiplayer only, I'd be forced to abandon them forever. I can't add anything more constructive because Jim has said it all perfectly.

Fucking Fear 3 indeed. F3AR...

I'm surprised Silent Hill: Book of memories didn't come up here. A co-op Silent Hill title on a handheld? Then again, Jim rather vehemently defended it before its release because people hated on it simply for being different. I wonder what his views are on it after it's release.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
There is absolutely no problem with having more options in a game. I've enjoyed, greatly, playing multiplayer in Minecraft and Mass Effect 3, for example. I wouldn't play Minecraft if I was FORCED to be alone, and the multiplayer in Mass Effect is incredibly deep and rewarding, nevermind wildly well-supported by the Bioware and EA.

I don't understand why you would talk down at a game developer for wanting to make a more rounded experience for the player.

Mar 30, 2010
Well said. People lead increasingly busy and hectic lives and the solid single-player experience is an important way of unplugging from the hustle and bustle of professional and social life. Multiplayer as an option is nearly always a nice plus, but when it is the lion's share of the experience then the quality of that experience hinges on the online community. Which is to say that it is blown to holy hell.

Thank You for God, Jim.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
While I don't mind multiplayer I do get tired of people saying games like Dishonored need co-op or multiplayer. They weren't designed to have it and don't need it.
Now you have great games like God of War tagging it on and putting the same crap death matches and same crap capture and hold that we've seen for almost 10 years now.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I do enjoy the single player experience. Growing up with a PS2 and no internet connection to it, single player is always the first mode I try. Even in the multiplayer focused games. However, me owning a game boils down to how often I can replay it, and in that regard multiplayer has the advantage over single. Multiplayer enjoys a truly unique experience for being completely different every time and the most challenging. No matter how good your AI is, it can never really compare to the tactical genius of a person. While humans are also easily susceptible to predictable patterns of behavior, it's far more prevalent in AI foes, and you're more likely to discover variations and anomalies outside the statistical norm. Thus, I tend to own multiplayer games (or games with extensive amounts of content) and simply rent or buy when they're cheaper single player games.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Anyone else reminded of Garth Meregnhi when they see Jim up on his podium? I mean, I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Jim might've been influenced (at least appearance-wise) by Matthew Holness, but this little deliberation about God sort of clinched it for me. And what Jim, no John Lennon call out?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, if things I do by myself are bad, tell me how reading is good for me, because I can't think how reading a book can be done with more people than just myself.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Good watch. Are they making SimCity have some mandatory online crap? I'm looking forward to the new one but I would prefer to play solo myself.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm one of the people Jim described. My job requires me to deal with a lot of people and being social in general, day after day. I play singleplayer only games to get away from that. Or sometimes I just want to play the game my way, without having to think about others. I've been doing that all day, now I want my 'me'-time. I want to shut up and enjoy some peace and quiet while I subjugate virtual empires or something like that.

So yeah, thank god for you, Jim.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Well that heart attack line nearly made me spew lemonade over my computer. Considering I hated the first few shows, you've pulled a god damn u-turn and struck a fine balance between actually thought provoking commentary (ironically without sounding self righteous) while still adding enough humour (without it turning into a damn gag reel).

But I disagree, with the Fallout bit anyway, optional AND I STRESS, OPTIONAL, SUPER OPTIONAL multiplayer could have been kinda fun, romping in the wasteland with a buddy.

Tombfyre

Feb 7, 2008
Multiplayer has a time and a place, especially if the game is built up around it and actually enjoyable. But yeah, the concept that single player gaming is dead is absolutely foolish to say the least. I love my single player games. Besides, considering you can load everything up through Steam and such, you can be playing a single player game and still interact with people socially via one conversation or another. They don't have to be tagging along with you in meaningless tacked-on co-op just because.

As for the accusations of Blasphemy... I think the bible thumpers should realize that not everyone in the world shares their particular delusions, and most of us in the civilized world do not live in countries governed by their particular brand of church. So yes, fuck 'em. :)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Most of the fun I have had in video games has been in single player titles: The Fallouts, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate series, Far Cry III's single player, Bioshock's Single Player, The Deus Exes (not 2), The Civilization Series, Alpha Centari, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis series, Total War series, Mass Effect series, Amnesia, Bard's Tale, Batman: Arkham City/Asylum, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls Series, Galactic Civilizations series, Grand Theft Auto series, Jade Empire, Just Cause 2, L.A. Noire, Spec Ops: The Line, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and The Walking Dead... not a single one of those games was played using its multiplayer or if it was the experience felt tacked on or was non-condusive to play (apart from Grand Theft Auto but that was mostly a chaos simulator).

On the flip side, games that I really enjoy the multiplayer of are Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection 2, World of Warcraft (for awhile), Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2. Games DESIGNED around Multiplayer first and foremost.

See a frigging trend? The games designed around multiplayer have the best multiplayer, those that devote at least 90% of their resources to single player have great single player.

At the same time I do like the idea of co-op in Dead Space 3... I think they really can do something with it. Making one of the characters freak out suddenly and perceive their team mate as a hostile -while cutting off voice communication- could make for some frantic situations. Suddenly your sane team mate needs to subdue you as you attempt to shoot him, every time he dodges your attacks the monster he appears as dies and a new one busts out of the ground where he rolled to. The trick will be to make it impossible to tell if it really is a fight or if your character is having a freak out.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
WTF kind of fish is that? It's like a hammerhead shark, but with bad teeth and a dick for a nose.

On topic, multiplayer can be a giant f'ing immersion breaker if I'm playing a game for the story. Take Guild Wars 2 - I rarely ever dungeon crawl in that game because if I did, I might want to watch the little story bits while everyone else stands around and waits for me. I'd much rather just be saving this or that town from giants, skritt, or centaurs, getting my Hero on, without getting in the way of somebody else who wants to move shit along. I play single player games to get away from people, multiplayer when I want interaction. They're separate playstyles and should remain as such.

As an atheist, I thank Darwin for me. Although at this stage of human history, with medical and scientific advancements, evolution has kinda fallen to the wayside. Perhaps I should thank Tesela, or Jobs.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
First thing that came to mind when reading the title.

Resident Evil 5. We can all agree how that Horror game was made better by being turned into an Action game by adding a coop partner.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Whats up with the fish at 1:47 ? anyway as far as the developers don't make it necesary to co op im okay, i love dark souls but i ussually play it offline, but my brother seems to think its awesome play it just bothers me , i want to play the game alone.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Obviously I agree with this, and the sales numbers of Dishonored, Skyrim, and The Walking Dead back this up. Of more importance is that I may need to revisit my sexual orientation due to man Bayonetta still being rather sexy. Of ever more importance than that is my conviction that Jim is not dead only because God is afraid of all the Ragnarok business. What a good day.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There's a quote attributed to Giovanni Gravina: "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." The steps made by companies like EA and Blizzard to foist multiplayer and social elements onto us ignore the question of whether solitude is what we desire, or whether our experiences will necessarily be improved by the presence- to whatever degree- of other players within our play-space.

In some ways what I find even more offensive, though, is that I feel the pressure to put multiplayer into games that would have gone without it in the past is built upon a lie. I truly don't believe that this desire to force us to share all our game-playing experiences is something that has risen out of an unquenchable customer demand. Rather, multi-player is frequently a way to add "value" to a game with a minimal investment in content. If you actually have to build more maps and skin more characters and write more dialogue and render more cut-scenes, that's a much bigger investment of time and energy that every "single" player will churn through more or less simultaneously from the time they start playing the game. By contrast, if you make a smaller investment in multiplayer, you add apparent value while all those "single" players entertain each other for hours on end without you having to make further contributions. It's like sending the older children to take care of the younger ones.

What's similarly perverse is that, even as many of these big companies push these "go keep your siblings occupied" measures, they seem to be more and more willing to crack down on mods and fan-led efforts that used to be a similar source of genuine fan desire to expand the experience for their fellow players. We want you to babysit, but in our house, by our rules, no heading off the reservation.

Ugh.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I agree with Jim there is a lace for multi-player,co-op and single player games. Its up to me to decide if I want bring social aspects into the game or not. I don't like it when game developers force upon you.

zacharyk88

Oct 30, 2011
I agree with you on almost all points Jim, but it makes sense that these big gaming corporations want to discourage solo alone play. This is because they can sell more copies of a game if you want to get it so you can play with your friend who also probably owns the game. It is in the best interest to try to sell the game to as many people as possible and the added "replay value" from having a tacked on multiplayer so you can keep playing with your friends makes them sell the game more and possibly sequels of that game since you still want to play the new one with your friends

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You can try to justify your horrible always online DRM all you want Maxis. I still won't buy the game though (and by the way, insulting those of us who already don't want to buy the game? not a brilliant tactic).

But yeah, I completely agree with with this episode. I LIKE my single player alone time. If I want to play with other people, there are games for that, and if I want to play alone, there are games for that too. But not if the out of touch publishers have their way. They don't even do it right; why must we play with other people but ONLY other people not in the same room? What the fuck happened to playing with other people in the same room? If Killzone 3 can make local co-op work, so can everyone else. You other guys are basically the opposite of Nintendo: they need to learn what online multiplayer is, and you need to learn what local multiplayer is again.
I'm also sick of having to miss content in older games because there's co-op only levels that you can't play unless you get somebody to play with you, but the game is old and nobody wants to play it anymore. At least put in a goddamn AI partner so we can still experience the content you twats.

DrunkOnEstus said:
Of more importance is that I may need to revisit my sexual orientation due to man Bayonetta still being rather sexy.
Not really. That's not simply "man Bayonetta", that's Willem Dafoe Bayonetta.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I honestly just have to say thanks for making this Jim.
I probably have what's called Schizoid Personality Disorder, which is commonly defined as a lack of interest in social relationships. Honestly, just being in the same room or in visual sight of other human beings can wear on me, I don't even had to be talking to them. I am commonly not able to be as alone as I would wish, as social contact is required for living. So, gaming is the best escape for me.
My favourite game of all time is Metroid Prime, a game about being alone in a hostile world and conquering the dangers it contains. As you can probably tell, this is a game that really speaks to me. My favourite genre is stealth, where being alone and not noticed by anyone is in fact, a good thing.
So, the games industry commonly forcing multiplayer into games under the excuse that loneliness is bad really gets to me. I like being alone, it's calming. It's even a form of release for me, when being around people all day can build up a lot of tension.
Again, thanks Jim.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Jim my friend, as awesome as you are, I can't help but think you will suffer the same fate as the late George Carlin. Any how, back on topic, yea I too enjoy playing single player games for the social deprivation.
Dying at the age of 71?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Some of the best games out there are single player games. I play games with my friends so often that I like to boot up a game to play by myself now and again. Every single time I log into Xbox Live I'm assailed with invites for Halo, Mass Effect, or Borderlands, and sometimes I just want to be left alone to play Hitman or something. I like an offline experience. I can take it at my pace and enjoy my game the way I want to without the judgement or time-constraints of another individual.

An awkward example of this is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's an MMO, so there are lots of people running around, especially now that it's free to play. However, you can solo the entire storyline of your class if you so choose, and I damn well do choose to at times. I have characters that I play with friends and then characters that are just for me. I don't even go looking for random groups to do certain quests. I enjoy playing by myself, but I also like the feeling that I am a part of a larger world, and the people are there in case I get a hair up my ass and decide to invite one of them to briefly join me for a quest that requires more participants.

I'm glad this came up, actually. Just the other day I was playing SW:TOR and I had a guy bugging the shit out of me for soloing and not playing with other people, who then spent the next half-hour explaining to me that I needed to get into the end game or I was just wasting my time, despite that fact that I was having fun as it is. I fucking hate it when people try to tell me how to have fun in a game; it's their way and I respect that to the extent that being pleasant requires, but that doesn't mean that it should be everyone's way. It's something that's irritating particularly in video games. You play Call of Duty, but you don't... play the multiplayer?! You're crazy! The multiplayer is the best part! Play it! Play with other people! You don't know what you're missing out on!!

I do, as it happens, know what I'm missing out on. I have my co-op games that I won't play without my friends and I have games that I enjoy simply to be by myself. It's nice to get away from it all. People read books for the same reason and you don't see other people running up to them and shouting "what are you doing?! Stop reading by yourself and come read with us!!"

I think this is pretty much the longest 'I agree, Jim' post I've ever made.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Social Sim City can be dangerous.

I used to play Multiplayer Minecraft and I used to get so very angry if anyone touched my stuff. I am really defensive of my projects. In fact I scrapped a project in Minecraft because a friend thought it'd be nice of him to help me without my knowledge. It made me see my project as not mine anymore.

I play Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. I enjoy the solitary and the fact I can focus on a project for me.
However I do share what I do on a internet community forum because as much as I like my work to be far away from grubby little mits of other human beings, I also enjoy showing off, with screenshots or videos. Perhaps an idea for solo-games is being able to 'document' your character's progress in the game with ease. Bioware... sort of did this with Dragon Age but it was kinda pointless since everyone's story was "the same". With The Elderscrolls you have scope of making an easy-to-access optional online "water-cooler"/scrapbook thing.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Some games just are meant be a solo experience. I mean just the idea of playing Sim city and having someone else randomly coming into my game world and start making stuff and wasting money that I have to undo just sounds like something that would piss me off. Xcom is a game that would be hindered with other people playing messing up your carefully planned tactics.Infamous would be annoying if it were mutliplayer and people would vetto the route of the game you were playing or whine because they've seen the cutscenes before and don't care to wait for you to experience for yourself for the first time. Would you enjoy the arkham games with Batman if some guy kept getting spot and alerting guard everytime you were about to sneak up on a thug. Basically people coming in and kicking over your virtual block towers because they can is lame, regardless if it's thru being bad or mean.

You can't allow a game with lasting consequences to progess or the game world be multiplayer or you basically are setting yourself up for grieving. Some games the camera angles just can't keep up with two or more people very well and you're basically playing as a group of individuals not a team then. They have to water down the gameplay experience so teaming up has a point. Basically video game heroes have Ninja physics...the more of them there are the less powerful they become. Sometimes it's fun being the .."Last Justice" standing against whatever threat alone, but having all toys to do so.

Ultimately there's games that shine and prosper for having multiplayer. Borderlands 1 and 2 are perfect examples for that. (which I think Yahtzee's problem with them is the fact he doesnt play those games with friends.)Super mario wii and Smash bros are great games for a team of people to play together. There's plenty of games that are definitely better for having multiplayer in them. In the end I think developers need to flexible to whatever is the best choice for the type of game you're tying to make.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
i feel it important to say that i compleatley agree with everything youve said, and have been waiting for someone to say it like that.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
"Fucking Fear 3!" and Chungus_St_McChungus made this episode relly enjoyable for me. :D
It's the first time I'm commenting to any of your vids, just wanted to let you know that I think your very funny(though you probably won't read this)!

By the way I started playing video games without being socially deprived and now I am ;__;
I am a lonely person using video games for escapism, and even though I'm lonely multiplayer games don't actually manage to make me feel less lonely. And why is that? Because in multiplayer games you may work together with other persons and communicate to a certain degree but in the end you just do so in order to archieve an objective e.g raid a dungeon, win the map etc. In most cases that's as deep as the relationship with other people get in games. Maybe not if you join a clan or guild and play often with the same people though I doubt whether they can be defined as "friends".

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
My hypothesis: the sort of push for multi-player that Jim is describing is to set the stage for the eventual sell of "community" or "connectivity" services that integrate with games to gamers, either as a subscription service or a la carte service. Basically, just about anything a company does is a calculated maneuver to increase sales or revenue.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Stay the line, Jim. It's not often I want to thank god for anything, but I'll do it every time for you.

Frankly, I don't like playing online a lot. I don't often play the kinds of games where I want to just jump into a random game with 20 other people. I enjoy those kinds of games for a shorter period of time than I do single player games. But, I do have plenty of games that I play with friends. But, I don't always play these games. Sometimes I don't want to coop something, but want to feel the crushing depth or majesty of doing it all on my own. The most annoying thing, personally, is finding out that content has to be unlocked in multiplayer, or that half the content on the disc/download is for a mode I want very little of. It really makes me feel like I'm paying for wasted space. The idea of an online pass would be fine, if I could buy just the single player game at a price less the cost of the pass, but nope, it's still $60 for it, all the time. And that's just not as good.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I'm an extremely extrovert and social person with loads of friends, but I NEVER EVER play multiplayer-games. I hate playing online and I hate having to interact with others while playing my games. So for me this newfounded idea that singleplayer-games are for lonely asocial suckers and everything has to be multiplayer is not only not to my taste, but rather insulting I think. And I am very sad that two of my favourite games to play alone (Diablo and Sim City) has chosen to abandon me in favour of the always-online argument which I will not condone.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Well said. I'm absolutely going to quote you whenever someone gets up in my grill for not being hooked up to an IV of Facebook.

gonephishing

Jun 7, 2010
yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
the word you're looking for Jim is "solitude" and Jebus himself went in for it multiple times...sometimes weeks at a time.

surprised you didn't pick up on that ;P

wikipedia states "A distinction has been made between solitude and loneliness. In this sense, these two words refer, respectively, to the joy and the pain of being alone"

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Funny, serious and right on the ball, to fucking funny. Good ol' Jimquisition.

Yeah you're right, if TES or Fallout went coop/multiplayer, I'd flip a table. I'm highly sceptical about Sim City's multiplayer right now.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
A Curious Fellow said:
There is absolutely no problem with having more options in a game. I've enjoyed, greatly, playing multiplayer in Minecraft and Mass Effect 3, for example. I wouldn't play Minecraft if I was FORCED to be alone, and the multiplayer in Mass Effect is incredibly deep and rewarding, nevermind wildly well-supported by the Bioware and EA.

I don't understand why you would talk down at a game developer for wanting to make a more rounded experience for the player.
The problem is that most of the time these extra options take extra resources. Mass Effect 3, while it has a good multiplayer (from what I've heard), is still played for the most part for the single player. Maybe the campaign wouldn't have been so bad, maybe the ending wouldn't have been horrible, maybe they could've put more Role playing elements.
Sure it's nice to have options, but those options shouldn't take away from the core experience, in fact having more options may limit the depth (and thus more options) of the game. In an opposite example, I think CoD should be online only and shouldn't have single-player.

The best games are those that offer a great single player that can be adapted easily into an online mode, like Tetris.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Sleekit said:
the word you're looking for Jim is "solitude" and Jebus himself went in for it multiple times...sometimes weeks at a time.

surprised you didn't pick up on that ;P

wikipedia states "A distinction has been made between solitude and loneliness. In this sense, these two words refer, respectively, to the joy and the pain of being alone"
I didn't know the English language had a word like that. Maybe cause in Spanish we only just use the word "soledad" to refer to being left alone.

Being solitude is a great thing, I think plenty of people need to have some hours a day for themselves. Being forced to socialize all the time is one of the great ills of our society. Some people can't unglue themselves form their phones or Facebook.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
That's me :)
I tried playing with other people, really tried
Still best experience is with either people who I can throw paper balls at (in case they are being pricks)
OR
with me and myself
SO this online BS developers/publishers are trying to shoehorn in every game just makes me angry
Example
X-Com:Enemy Unknown
How much of you played its multiplayer?
I personally didn't even watched at the MP button.
Edit: Well ok, I noticed it once, after it my mind blocked it out of my sight.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Not all games should have or need multiplayer, that said I also don't subscribe to the belief that certain series could and should NEVER have multiplayer features even if it could be great.

I love playing skyrim by myself, but I could definitely see having a small scale co-op option in the series. Not open to anyone, not an MMO, but being able to explore a world of that scale and detail with a friend or two sounds like a blast.

I find the basic rule is that if the "add multiplayer" comes from executive decisions and not from the team wanting to add a great experience that it will immediately be on the wrong footing.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
gonephishing said:
yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.
And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Moth_Monk said:
Susan Arendt said:
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?
This is not a discussion about how reasonable it is or is not to be devout. You're welcome to your opinion, just as others are welcome to theirs.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
What scares me is that Valve is going along with this. They did say that Portal 2 was their last game with truly isolated single player.

WWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!???????????????

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Whats wrong with playing a game on your own? Or reading a book or watching a movie? Everything seems geared towards the facebook people. How they cant go without 3 seconds without stating what they are doing. Its pathetic. Gaming is escapism. Escape from people and life. F3 or Skyrim isnt lonely, your the king making your own choices and being yourself. I am annoyed by the fact that every game seems to have a multi player, for instance the new tomb raider has one. Why? I see the death of single player gaming. Such a shame as it will be the death of gaming for me.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
Well said, Willem.

OT: I agree.

Thank you for saying this! My husband and I use to be able to pick up any game that said multi-player and start playing. Now we need to have 2 copies and be connected to the internet, even though we're literally sitting next to each other. Sometimes you just don't need 2 PS3s...

OT: I adore single player games, especially RPGs. I feel like all weight is lost when there are lots more people that are also the "Chosen One!"

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Moth_Monk said:
gonephishing said:
And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm
Knock it off, Adolf.

OT: Yeah there is this irrational obsession with social interaction in our society, which has bleed into gaming. The phrase, "Hell is other people," was coined for a reason. Too often having to deal with other people is maddening. Too many times have I had to put up with people being obnoxious, annoying, or just plain sickening to be around.
Be it people who can't take "no" for an answer, people who think irrational hatred is a form of enlightenment, people who seem unable or unwilling to take note of the obvious, or people that are just plain irritating; this people have proven that being social is overrated.

I believe that forced social activity is more damaging, then voluntary solitude.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
The annoying fact is that multiplayer (as far as suits are concerned) just makes more money. So unless wise people like Jim tell them to fucking stop, there's going to be wads of spambots champing at the bits to shove their way into every sandbox game, Mario game, horror game, etc. And I'm sure it wont stop there: figure out a way to charge people for it and we can get social media into movies, into books. Don't you want a running commentary from your friends while you're reading 50 Shades of Gay?

So please, Jim, keep it up. Remind people that there's a time and a place for multiplayer and a time and place for single player, and that they don't have to meet.

I was actually kinda hoping for some good ol' fashioned Christian backlash but haven't seen any yet. Oh well. Better luck next time?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well yeah...

I damn well hate multiplayer. None of my friends play the same games as me, and when they do we play them at woefully different rates (My failed experience buying Borderlands 2 to play with friends... who rapidly eclipsed me in level because I went on vacation and then didn't feel like playing when I got back blah blah blah).

Videogames are my solo activity, I have a social life, one in real life, a second one on the internet, I don't need one in my videogames as well. Hell if I can coordinate 4 friends we'll likely be doing something else other than playing videogames, especially since most devs have decided that Same Screen Multiplayer is for losers.

Mostly though, I'm pretty sure most games are so multiplayer heavy these days because it's cheaper and you don't need to program other people like you do AI opponents, you also don't need cool set pieces, voice actors, writers... everything that makes games GOOD for me... and people still buy them by the boatloads.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
To be honest, part of the problem is that there's a market segment with folks going "It doesn't have multiplayer? Not gonna buy it."

No matter how much you tell them that the single-player for Title X is worthwhile, they'll retort "Yeah, but it doesn't have multiplayer. I don't like single-player gamees."

Which is fairly ironic, as I don't believe that there's any way for any gamer to discover the medium with multiplayer titles, to actively play multiplayer titles and NOTHING BUT multiplayer titles.

Actually, scratch that. I remember meeting guys in Champions Online and City of Heroes/Villains who honestly didn't touch anything OTHER than MMOs.

The funny thing is, even with other players running around, most MMO participants tend to clear out the solo aspects of the gameworld on their own. MMO devs are considerate enough to set up quest tiers specifically designed for solo play!

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
Wait... so what I do in MY city will affect the people around me now?!

I need to get this game and crank up the pollution and crime!

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
I agree 100%. I'm an introvert and love playing games by myself. I'm not anti-social or deprived of friends. I have Facebook if I want to talk to people. I can't stand that media is pushing me to be an extrovert. Not every video game needs to have multiplayer.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
For someone who is an observant person making a living in the industry, fully immersed in day to day affairs, trends, outcomes and even has a webshow based around being insightfully observant. How can you look the effect and disregard/ignore/miss the cause?

Its simple, the concept of ostracizing single player is an intended effect. These people WANT you to feel bad for not playing with other people. They want you to think every game MUST have multiplayer components. They want online connectivity to be a standardized gaming element.

These people do not care how "unhealthy" it might be to not socialize. They actually like it when players spend 16+ hours a day playing their products instead of engaging in real life. It does not bother them when a kid dies of DVT due to abysmal habits and failing priorities.

They proactively are pushing this to indoctrinate gamers. They want gamers to accept these impositions as givens to create industry standard.

Why?

Because it gives them the ability to control the products, even after sale which they have no right to. It grants them accessibility and freedom to utilize their product as marketing tools to spur on further and perpetual sales. They view their games as gamers willingly paying to have a full size corporate owned billboard in their front yard. It gives them a foot in your door to push DLC, expansions, sequels, other products while you foot the broadband bill to deliver their "important messages from our sponsors" How can they achieve this level of free marketing, guilt sales, cosmetic add ons, DLCs all the while keeping you connected to THEIR servers to ensure that despite proactively purchasing it, you arent pirating it? If you arent plugged in they have to go back to relying on expensive techniques like paying for advertisements, or developing a game good enough to generate word of mouth buzz. Worst part is, you cant even fault them for trying to do it, because it is just an extension of what they are supposed to do as a company, generate profit while reducing overhead. Capitalism Ahoy! Right?..... Right?

Getting tweaked over the effect is impractical if you did not see or chose to ignore the cause.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Moth_Monk said:
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith.
Um....
Moth_Monk said:
Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?
You insulted a random person on the internet, for no apparent reason, on no personal basis. Simply because they believe differently than you. How stupid is that?

hmmm....

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
Wow... page three before someone commented on the intro in a negative fashion... that honestly surprises me.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
gonephishing said:
Not that this is likely to change you mind, but if you compare the way Jim speaks in his intro/conclusion with the way he talks in the main portion of his video, it's pretty obvious that he isn't expecting himself to to be taken seriously in that part. The main portion of his video has some good points, as usual, and the rest is merely entertainment. Does he have a generally mocking attitude? Sure, but what's wrong with being lightly mocked from time to time? As usual, XKCD puts it best:

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Thank God for Jim indeed.

OT: I can identify with everything Jim said. There are just some occasions where I want to get lost in a large open area without running into any other player-controlled being. It just feels like quality time to gather your thoughts or just totally immerse yourself in the experience.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
gonephishing said:
If your god is so fucking thin skinned that he is honestly hurt that fucking Jim Sterling, a guy who made videos asking Cliffy B to fill his 'epic hole' and to tell gay Mass Effect fan fiction, is making fun of him, then he truly is lucky that Jim would note him as beneath him.

Raso719

May 7, 2011
Statements like the one from the Sims City guy are what makes me very weary of so many of the big named western developers. They're so quick to use marketing to tell us what we want. Rather than trying to actually identify an untapped or viable market they would rather convince you that you're playing the wrong games. Marketing and game development is to chummy and its ruining the industry.

There is a market out there for light RPGs in the vein of JRPGs, or some good, old fashion hack and slash games but as the presence of Japanese developers slips away from the US market rather than trying to tap into a demographic with little, or no, competitors the US industry leaders would sooner belittle you for playing those games in the first place, rather than waste a cent trying to make a game that actually appeals to your demographic.

It all boils down to these, big budget, AAA games, those soulless, one size, fits all experiences. Companies like EA and Activision would sooner make a single game that everyone buys than have to pander to various interest groups and thanks to the power of marketing that's exactly the sort of industry we're looking forward to, one where publishers won't greenlight anything remotely different or new. When you starve so many demographics and genres for so long it's no wonder that everything but a few sure things shrivel up and die.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Jim

You are beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, and utterly utterly legendary.

P.S. your video was good too....

Speaking as an introvert, you hit the proverbial nail on the head for me. I view games as pure escapism (not unlike the site name) and quite frankly thanks to wow, i no longer enjoy playing with other players online. Why would i ruin my free time worrying/dealing with drama queens on power trips who think that seniority in a game entitles him/her to be an arsehole, when i can immerse myself in a single player experience that works/plays/developes at my level and speed and gives me nothing but escapism and fun.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
This episode was bang on. This is probably one of my biggest problems with gaming.

I'm an introvert, therefore I don't want to be around people all the time. I don't enjoy going to parties, meeting dozens of new people at a time, or small talking with people I don't know. This translates directly into the way I game. I play multi-player games when I feel like it, and 90% of the time I don't feel like it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Raso719 said:
Statements like the one from the Sims City guy are what makes me very weary of so many of the big named western developers. They're so quick to use marketing to tell us what we want. Rather than trying to actually identify an untapped or viable market they would rather convince you that you're playing the wrong games. Marketing and game development is to chummy and its ruining the industry.
Shhhhhh, can you hear that?

Some of the greatest life lessons I ever learned were from playing single player games. Games like Wild ARMs, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Grandia (see avatar), LUNAR and LUNAR 2 - these games have enriched my life and my point of view.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
ANImaniac89 said:
I just love how I can't watch anything gaming/comic/movie/geek culture in general without eventually getting some sort of diatribe about the presenters beliefs, or in the case lack there of. I honestly don't give two shits about Jim's beliefs, Christ complex (be it real or satirical). The reason I watch his stuff and Moviebob's well we're at it is because I find there work pertaining to geek culture interesting. Not because I want to hear about Christ or how Geeks should be worshiping at the First Church of the Spider-man.

As for the episode it's self; fine work as usual.

Then you obviously missed the bru-haha that erupted in his past video. Some twat got overly religiously zealous in his attacks towards Jim, this was just a jab at them, nothing more. Its always been more than painfully obvious that when he says "thank god for me", its a part of his grandiose caricature he's presenting for entertainment value.

But yes, great episode as always Jim. Though I would like to say this, after the back and forth between me and a coworker based around Skyrim, I wouldn't mind a bit of.... interactivity with her game. Namely the idea of horrifying her lvl 12 with my lvl 50 character as I tell her to once again to, how I say, "go sit on a dragon"!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's not only that but the fact that multiplayer is nowadays exclusively online, basically rendering some games entirely useless if you don't have internet connection or don't have that bullshit xbox live gold subscription that will hold your multiplayer exclusive games hostage if you don't keep paying.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I know I sure as hell don't want to be playing with other people over the Internet where the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory always comes into play. You know where Chungous McChungous or whatever has absolutely no social filter whatsoever. Yeah, I'll pass on that Games Industry, thank you.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Wow people are butthurt easily! I am a Christian, but I've never been offended by this show or his outros. Some people just want the world to be P.C.

Anyway, great episode and I totally agree. I'm tired of seeing MP shoved down our throats. It always makes me cringe when a game like Dead Space or Bioshock gets multiplayer.

Maddhaus

Nov 18, 2009
What was the intent of inserting the brief flashes of that creature during the segment about Ocean Quigley's statement? If this is obvious to everyone else, please forgive me; a lot tends to fly over my head since I turned 40 and the world stopped talking to me. I just couldn't figure out how that creature fit in given the context of the audio, nor why the images were flashed so briefly and repeatedly. If anyone could please explain, I'd be ever so grateful!

As for the actual topic, I too share an appreciate for the seclusion of single-player gaming and do my best to encourage developers by buying games that reportedly contain strong single-player experiences.

That doesn't mean I don't like multiplayer on occasion; in fact, I'm quite enjoying Big Team Infinity Slayer in Halo 4. My wife and I used to relive our arcade glory days spending many a weekend playing Gauntlet together on the original XBox. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my online multiplayer to be competitive, while reserving co-op to "the couch". Something about online co-op just never sat right with me - probably for many, if not all, the reasons expressed in the video and elsewhere in this thread.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
While I have problems with Maxis and EA forcing multiplayer (how "forced" it is is the question; can I reject everybody who tries to become neighbours? Can I build the "great projects" or whatever they are without help from others?) basically as a way of justifying DRM, I am intrigued by the multiplayer in the new Sim City.

I've always thought the city building social games on Facebook et al. could be quite interesting if they got rid of the game lengthening grind, the skinner boxes, and the micro-transactions. The idea that I could concentrate on one particular industry and have to go onto the open market to get commodities from another is compelling. Also being affected by a neighbours pollution, and co-operating on buildings are interesting mechanics.

I can't imagine that Sim City will "force" you to interact with the people that make up you neighbours, it's not like if they forced co-op in Skyrim and you forced to cohabitate with other Dragonborn who would most likely be constantly trolling you.

I do have a problem with forced co-op al la F.3.A.R., which was obstinately a single player horror game for the previous instalments and playing with a friend completely destroys any sense of atmosphere and horror a game can provide. But thats not to say that survival horror cannot be coop, DayZ is one of the most terrifying games I have played with the other players being at best untrustworthy and at worst,... well. Let's say I've never experienced fear like running out of STANAG ammo and hiding in a corner of a dark building with a shitty revolver like I have in that game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I agree but I hate the language he uses. Single player games aren't about wanting to be lonely. They are about enjoying time with yourself. Lonely is a negative word. It means sad because one has no friends or company, or without companions. Neither of these things are descriptive of my single player experience. I do not feel alone or without anyone when I play a single player time. I am always with myself and I'm an optimistic son of a *****. Wanting to play single player is not the same thing as shunning social interaction. Also, it's fair to say that Multiplayer games are not social interaction. Part of being social is accepting social responsibility for yourself and actions. All Multiplayer games do is give people the anonymity to to ruin someone else's game if they so choose to, what a social boon that is. Furthermore, as a social creature I like cooperation. All people benefit from cooperation. That is why I actively avoid DayZ. It seems made around griefing and in my experience with that game, that is mostly what people do. With anonymity, there is no social irresponsibility, and by extension no true social experience.

Also, yay atheism? Haha, sometimes people just seem so immature. I'm not talking about Jim on this one, but all the commentators. I know what I'm getting into when I watch a Jim show, I expect that equally ugly religion of Atheism to rear it's head. But I don't know why those parts are the central parts of some peoples comments on this thread.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Maddhaus said:
Austin Mcgough said:
Yo Jim did I see me a goblinfish in this video?
Is that what that thing was?
Jim has a tendancy to drop photos of hideous-looking sealife, most notably Goblin sharks and shrimp, whenever illustrating a point about how wrong/stupid/amoral someone in the game industry is.

Captcha: Never quit.

Yes, captcha, I too hope Jim never stops with the hideous sealife...

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I would say the thing that upset me the most about the Diablo III fiasco was the accusation that I had been playing Diablo II completely wrong, and that I hadn't really had fun with all the hours I had put into the game by myself. Note this didn't only come from those statements Blizzard made, but I had conversations at the time on this forum defending my singleplayer experience and the fact that I had fun.

Multiplayer has its place, and I do enjoy teaming up with my friends to play some World of Tanks, MechWarrior Online (when the game isn't booting me or crashing for no apparent reason), even the odd Minecraft session. These games tend to be multiplayer only game, though. But when it come to games like Borderlands, Diablo, Torchlight, I don't enjoy playing those sort of games with my friends so much because you can't really concentrate on the story and the narrative. When we play together, it's to kill shit and speed run, and I tend to hold them back trying to read the story stuff.

Also I notice that I prefer playing with my friends, as in people I actually know outside of the internet. Talking to strangers isn't something I'm very good at.

Not sure where I'm actually heading with this, I think I'm overall agreeing that jimmying multiplayer into everything in not always desirable. Sometimes (especially when there is a story involved) I just want to experience it by myself. In regards to SimCity, I am OK with there being a multiplayer aspect to it. I think me and my friends would have fun with our own server. But the fact that multiplayer is the only way to play annoys me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Why do we even need to justify our desire to play alone, for ANY reason?
Um...well, you see...reasons...I think...?

OT: I play games alone A LOT, and it's not because I don't have any friends to play games with, but it's mainly because I want to experience a game and what it has without someone taking me out of it.

Plus when I play games, most of the time, I want to be left along and decompress after a long day.

I don't see how that's hard to understand for some people (not you quoted person, you're cool).

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah just imagine sitting down to read an eagerly awaited new book like the finale of the Wheel of Time or the next A Song of Fire and Ice installment (hopefully before my hair turns grey) and having tweets and facebook comments popping up beside the text.

In other words these publishers can go screw themselves, let multiplayer be multiplayer and single player be single player. I'm not going to go to a movie theater alone, but I'm also not going to read a book in a group.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
When developers create a well crafted world, with well developed characters, there's no need for multiplayer. Take Mass Effect for example: I absolutely adore the cast, I don't need a real life chum to share the experience with me, because I enjoy spending time with these artificially created companions.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'm going to skip right over Jim's cheeky non stop war on GOD.

A lonely argument in gaming on a forum feels counter productive because it's a place we come to gather to talk about games as a mass.

Personally I've been playing d3 and generally I like party play over single player. it forces you to go longer then by your own sorry ass.

Joccaren

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, pretty much summed up my thoughts. These days I don't buy games unless they have a single player experience, as I'm not going to arbitrarily play with some idiot online because the devs thought it might be funny to watch some guy jumping around like a retard because he can.
I actively make up excuses and avoid playing with my friends a lot of the time because, generally, I'll have just spent a whole day around them, and don't want to spend more time with them when I could just sit down and do what I want instead.

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
Good on you. Dont change because anyone thinks you should. You are a very opinionated person, and thats good because too many people give in to popular demand. I love watching your videos not because your trolling everyone, but because your honest.
I wish you the best.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I think you're either missing the point of his statement or you're ignoring it.

He doesn't have a clue (or care that much) if multiplayer is good for his game or not, he's been told to put it in there because of EA, or he can't make the game, and now he's trying to justify it. The same way Bioware did with Mass Effect 3.

Exacerbated point still stands though I think. Some games benefit from being singleplayer (like horror games). The same way some games benefit from being multiplayer (like the FPS).

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I prefer single player gaming.

In single player, when I die, I don't have to hear 100 different variations of how much I suck.

In single player, I don't have to explain to anyone why I just used my strongest weapon against my weakest enemies.

In single player, I don't have someone asking me if I sleep with men.

In single player, NPC's don't hack the game and cheat.

In single player, I don't get kicked out of the first 3 games I try to join.

In single player, I don't get tempted by friend requests from teenage girls.

In single player, I don't get spawn-camped.

In single player, I'm never made aware that my mom was a man mattress and my real father was the plumber.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Moth_Monk said:
mike1921 said:
I really can't wrap my head around the idea that you honestly think that calling 90% of the world's population idiots for not thinking the exact same way as you is a good idea and something that shouldn't be frowned on.

The moral? Calm down. Seriously.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
why can't the industry people stop treating us like were stupid

because heres thing..

SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER ARE DIFFERENCT EXPEREINCES

did I just blow your fucking mind marketing people? I'm sick to death of EA and the like acting as if cramming multiplayer is going to somhow make a game better (it doesnt) or that it is an upgrade of single player (it isnt) do you think I had more fun playing borderlands 2 while somone was teabagging lillith?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Exacerbated point still stands though I think. Some games benefit from being singleplayer (like horror games). The same way some games benefit from being multiplayer (like the FPS).
why does a FPS have to have mutliplayer? first person perepctive is a good environemnt/story telling tool..mabye the devs focus was elsewhere?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
why does a FPS have to have mutliplayer? first person perepctive is a good environemnt/story telling tool..mabye the devs focus was elsewhere?
I never said an FPS has to have multiplayer. I said some FPS games benefit from having multiplayer. I agree that the first person perspective is good for projecting the player onto that character though (like Skyrim). Whereas games like Call of Duty and Battlefield (first person shooters) are marred with ridiculously linear and heavily scripted singleplayer and only shine in their multiplayer aspects because the shooting mechanics are so great.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
why can't the industry people stop treating us like were stupid

because heres thing..

SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER ARE DIFFERENCT EXPEREINCES

did I just blow your fucking mind marketing people? I'm sick to death of EA and the like acting as if cramming multiplayer is going to somhow make a game better (it doesnt) or that it is an upgrade of single player (it isnt) do you think I had more fun playing borderlands 2 while somone was teabagging lillith?
For some it is. I don't really mind co-op and multiplayer in games because they provide options, different strokes for different folks. What I mind is multiplayer modes and co-op modes where the devs clearly didn't give a shit (Spec Ops the Line and Bioshock 2)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Um...well, you see...reasons...I think...?
That's the impression that I get.

OT: I play games alone A LOT, and it's not because I don't have any friends to play games with, but it's mainly because I want to experience a game and what it has without someone taking me out of it.

Plus when I play games, most of the time, I want to be left along and decompress after a long day.

I don't see how that's hard to understand for some people (not you quoted person, you're cool).
I personally like it both ways. Hell, a lot of games I will do alone AND with people. I have multiple solo AND co-op characters for Borderlands 2, Saints Rows 2 and 3, (sort of) Red Dead Redemption, and probably a ton of games that will occur to me after I hit "post." I am a social gamer, but only to a point. It can be both fun to shoot things up with friends and to backstab alone for me. For most games, I tend towards the solo thing, though. Part of that is ease of play (easier to boot up your own console, rather than waiting around for people), but a lot of it is just that I like the solo experience as well.

And there should be no shame in playing alone.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Of course I thank God for Jimquisition, I thank God each day for pretty much anything that gives me joy. And anyone that doesn't give God credit for unlikely chain of events, the thermodynamic miracle, that lead to this show being made and placed us in the time and place necessary to witness the spectacle; well, they are really selling God short.

By the way Jim, through my own prays thanking God for you, I believe the reply I am getting is: "You're welcome."

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I personally like it both ways. Hell, a lot of games I will do alone AND with people. I have multiple solo AND co-op characters for Borderlands 2, Saints Rows 2 and 3, (sort of) Red Dead Redemption, and probably a ton of games that will occur to me after I hit "post." I am a social gamer, but only to a point. It can be both fun to shoot things up with friends and to backstab alone for me. For most games, I tend towards the solo thing, though. Part of that is ease of play (easier to boot up your own console, rather than waiting around for people), but a lot of it is just that I like the solo experience as well.

And there should be no shame in playing alone.
I've played multiplayer only a handful of times and that was with AC: Brotherhood and Revelations, and those were brief encounters. I just get bored with multiplayer after a while, and I don't find it fun. I don't really know why, but it might have to do with how repetitive it can get and that it's so emphasized in games that it just appeal to me. :/

I have played co-op a few times and am right in the middle of one with Borderlands 2 and I do think that's a lot of fun, and I just think I got lucky of who this random stranger is I'm playing with. I don't get a chance to play with friends because I either don't play the game they want to do co-op with or it's on a system I don't own, but the times I do get to I have a blast.

I'm mainly an RPG player so I prefer to play alone and not have someone with me while I play. I guess I'm just so used to playing games by myself for so long that it doesn't bother me and I find that stance of how it's a shame if you play alone to be ridiculous. And like you said, there should be no shame in playing alone, and especially if the game is better for single player.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I don't advocate necessarily for Religion, I advocate against bashing it just as I advocate against bashing atheism but it seems like I'll always be a minority.

Anyways I agree full-board with you, although I find that although I'm religious, I'm against the bible-beaters on this one, no question. Ironic or humourous blasphemy isn't bad, or at least as bad as they say it is, as I believe God has a sense of humour, if you view it from my stand-point there's little else to explain the existence of irony. Plus if its an atheist doing it it's also not real blasphemy because blasphemy can not occur within their frame of mind, as there is no one to offend with those jokes but sensitive believer. Anyways, Jim I defend your right to make your jokes, so please don't rope me and others like me in with the other prudes, alright?

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I like to think that Jesus sits in a leather chair in heaven, watching Jim on a TV and laughing his head off.

Also, You are bloody right. Sometimes, I just wanna be alone... in fact, it would be closer to the truth to say 'sometimes i just wanna interact with people'.

Fortunately, from the looks of it, you have the option to close your city's region off and play alone.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's funny how social people can't get that some of us like some solo time. General issues with multiplayer aside (tech issues, gamer imbalance) I like the alone time. I deal with people all day, and most of those encounters are people that can't solve their own problem, create problems for me, and show no gratitude for the former or remorse for the latter (it's office administration: all the stupid people of tech support with the penalty of they don't go away). I game to get away from hem and spend some time in a world I control. where my success and failures are my own, and I don't have to deal with people that can't do a google search, read a help file, or remember what I told them last time they had the same problem.

It's like when school sees a loner bookworm and decides to shove them into some extra curricular sport, not getting that that was the kind of activity the loner was trying to avoid. I don't need multiplayer to game with friends. I've spent a lot of hours players while a friend watches, helps and comments, or just chats, and hours doing the same while another plays, or no one playing and just talking about games. I get they want to sell more controllers, systems, disks, and the like, but socil doesn't mean we all have to be playing at the same time.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Okay Jim does realize that Maxis was bought by EA and that this was just their stupid, and contrived reasoning behind including DRM in the game right?

He does get that right?

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Well done, the first one I like. You keep getting better, but by your intro you were already there. You just waited till now to show that to others.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Only The Lonely

The videogame industry wants you to believe that the offline experience is for miserable loners.

Watch Video
Now of course you're right in this video, but really, is anyone actually contending that the "offline experience is for miserable loners" premise is true besides this stupid guy you mentioned in the video? I haven't heard this anywhere else...

As far as I understood it, shoehorning multiplayer into SP games is an attempt to draw in the dudebro crowd more than anything. But yeah, of course some games are OK as SP experiences. It's kind of sad that we need a video like this to wake up certain people.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Remus said:
WTF kind of fish is that? It's like a hammerhead shark, but with bad teeth and a dick for a nose.

On topic, multiplayer can be a giant f'ing immersion breaker if I'm playing a game for the story. Take Guild Wars 2 - I rarely ever dungeon crawl in that game because if I did, I might want to watch the little story bits while everyone else stands around and waits for me. I'd much rather just be saving this or that town from giants, skritt, or centaurs, getting my Hero on, without getting in the way of somebody else who wants to move shit along. I play single player games to get away from people, multiplayer when I want interaction. They're separate playstyles and should remain as such.

As an atheist, I thank Darwin for me. Although at this stage of human history, with medical and scientific advancements, evolution has kinda fallen to the wayside. Perhaps I should thank Tesela, or Jobs.
I think it's a goblin shark. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_shark]

OT: Sometimes I'm in the mood to play a game with other people and sometimes I'm not. I certainly don't need tacked on multiplayer, like some kind of cancerous growth hanging off of a singe-player game, and I especially don't want it infecting single player as well.

One of the any reasons I have little hope for dragon age 3 is because, due to EA's multiplayer policy, I strongly suspect I'm going to have some 12-year-old calling me a fag for paying attention to the dialogue or something.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
RandV80 said:
Yeah just imagine sitting down to read an eagerly awaited new book like the finale of the Wheel of Time or the next A Song of Fire and Ice installment (hopefully before my hair turns grey) and having tweets and facebook comments popping up beside the text.

In other words these publishers can go screw themselves, let multiplayer be multiplayer and single player be single player. I'm not going to go to a movie theater alone, but I'm also not going to read a book in a group.
Why? Because its weird for a lot of people to see someone that wants to be alone.

Guys, most of you are hardcore gamers (else, wtf are you doing on this site?). Many of you are probably introverts.

I bet most of you can't fathom how there are many people out there who take their smartphones to the bathroom. Or worse, take them to bed. Seriously, people text their friends on the toilet, a place many of us associate with alone time (because who takes a crap with a second person watching?).

Further more, I've heard of people speculating that nightclubs aren't fun at all. Except that many people actually like them... because there is people... everywhere!

Some of you point out that Dishononered and Skyrim printed money this year. Many party games have printed out even more money this year as well.

Some of you are going to say that 'no one thinks its weird to read by yourself.' Well, aside from book clubs where you are reading in a group... but its more likely that most people don't actually sit and read. I can remember it being considered weird to actually sit and read a book that wasn't assigned reading by many of the student body, much to the chagrin of the teachers trying to get us to read.

Even in the single player one isn't truely alone. There are web forums and lets plays where one can make a single player experience less single while not truely multiplayer. I think someone on the Retsuprae troup pointed out that some of them were recording themselves play to feel less lonely be having the though that someone else would be watching their session later.

I remember the feeling of playing in arcades and having someone hovering over my shoulder watching me play. Some of you are probably perturb at the though of someone hovering over your shoulder as you played, even if it wasn't some porno flash game, but at the time, I figured that I was in a public place and to allow some leeway accordingly, that people will watch how awesome (or lame) I was. I did get some rude 'eff offs' from people in arcades when I did the same thing, and again, public place with people everywhere, this always baffled me, but there are people reading this who would think that was rude of me you watch you play if it was you.

I don't doubt that the likes of EA and that are milking this to stuff DRM into their games, but the idea that they are generating the belief that singleplayer is for socially maladjusted losers (or any activity that is done in solitude) isn't new. In fact, well look up the TV Trope "Loners are Freaks" to get a better idea of what we have always thought of people who want to be alone.

The reality is there are a lot of lonely people out there, and to them, they can't understand why anyone would want solitude. Then there are the people who want to be connected to other 24/7. Leaving us as a minority.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
I only play ONE MP game with any consitency, L4D2. Otherwise I am a big time single player gamer. Also I have heard devs on a couple games that were supposed to be MP centered that said more people played SP then ever played MP, so I think the numbers back us up.
The publishers retain more control over connected games though which is part of the reason I think they push them so much.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Bang-on, Jim. Sometimes I want to play with people, to enjoy the sense of teamwork and have the opportunity to show off. Sometimes I want to play on my own, because it's impossible to feel good about myself when I'm having to share a game with a bunch of other people who are simply better at it than me. Or because the game itself is all about YOU. Making SimCity have enforced multiplayer (I'm not sure about the details, but that's the impression I'm getting)? What kind of goddamn "god game" forces you to be just one in a pantheon? Where's the feeling of total control, shaping the world to YOUR will?

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Im not really a multiplayer person, i dont like how all the achievements are starting to be online multiplayer centric, Im not saying all games need it... but there is a hell of a lack of good co-op games, yes theres BL2, L4D and a few others but theres a lack of good multiplayer rpg's, im not saying skyrim needed it but i probably would have sunk a longer amount of time if my gf could sit and killed some dragons as well, I dont mind playing games alone but i do mind that the only co-op games are for the most part shit or non existent

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
gonephishing said:
Thank God for Jim and praise Willem DeFoe. Needless to Jim will keep all his fans who don't have imaginary friends. You my friend should get a sense of humour.

Religion exists to be ripped on, it must do or why would the writers have stories about talking snakes, men made from clay, women made from ribs, and paedophiles who carry stone tablets with rules on them?

As for the multiplayer, it's the best excuse to rip people off with bad DRM, DLC and pay-for content like customisation that should be in the game for free. Like it used to be. Games like Diablo 3 set the bastards-are-go markers, idiot fan-bois allowed Blizzzard and others to get away with it, defending them to this day like the halfwits that they are, and so other publishers are following suit. What will people allow them to get away with next?

Wait, didn't Jim already point this out too in a previous Jimquisition?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Loved the intro dialogue, cracks me up XD.

So.....Am I the only one who solos through MMOs an an excuse to play a free game for some alone time rather than as a desire to socialize only to end up unable to find people I can cooperate with? Am I the only one who puts party requests on block & hides the chat box?

Some of my friends like games. We have different tastes in games. When we attempt playing together, we do not enjoy it. If I want to hang out with people, I will either go outside with plans for the day, or I will go to a forum or Facebook.

I'm sure Angry Joe would disagree with this video. I remember he always used to reduce a game's rating for not having co-op. Swear to god he would crawl into a ball & cry if he had to play a video game by himself. Don't know if he feels the same way; since everything is multiplayer now, he never brings it up.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
The day gaming goes full multiplayer is the day I stop playing games.
Screw multiplayer. Other people suck. I don't spend money on a game so I can play it with other people. It's something I bought for me.
While I do play multiplayer in what some would view as a 'limited' fashion, only playing with my close friends and never touching any kind of gametype in which you'd play against or with total strangers, I have never bought a game based on it's multiplayer. Multiplayer isn't even a factor!

Thank 'god' for you, Jim.

fleischwolke

Feb 8, 2010
This installment really hit the nail on the head for me. My day is filled with scheming hominids, and pc games are a chance to get away from it all. Single player all the way!

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
erttheking said:
Moth_Monk said:
mike1921 said:
I really can't wrap my head around the idea that you honestly think that calling 90% of the world's population idiots for not thinking the exact same way as you is a good idea and something that shouldn't be frowned on.

It's a popular opinion so it can't be beyond moronic? "Exact same way as"? They think there's a god who both is so sensitive to jokes like that and worth worshiping? The idea that the powerful should be protected from everything, even jokes, is not just moronic its revolting.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
My favorite episode ever. Probably one of the few times I agreed 100% with Jim, I think single player is very important, I really enjoy the storytelling and you seldom get a good one out of multiplayer experience, even when it's co-op you end up meeting someone, sooner or later, who will just skip the cutscenes, leaving anyone in the party who wanted to go through the game's "lore" quite pissed...

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
braincore02 said:
Good watch. Are they making SimCity have some mandatory online crap? I'm looking forward to the new one but I would prefer to play solo myself.
It looks like the best Sim City so far. Where every citizen has some needs, instead of being a statistic. Then they dump this extreme DRM on us. Boom! It's sad, really. It's not the developers' fault, yet they're the ones getting punished.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah. its amazing why people think a game without MP is bad. i like to play SP only. just being my self. but most of the games today dont let you.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I get the point you are making (and agree), but loneliness is really the state of being alone and not wanting to be. It's not the same thing as being alone because you'd prefer it that way.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Moth_Monk said:

Jim, I loved the intro and outro to this week's episode. It reminded me that you should do a dramatic reading of this piece of art from way back whenever.
Aaww man, I forgot all about this. Dang I miss that lady.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
ex275w said:
A Curious Fellow said:

The problem is that most of the time these extra options take extra resources. Mass Effect 3, while it has a good multiplayer (from what I've heard), is still played for the most part for the single player. Maybe the campaign wouldn't have been so bad, maybe the ending wouldn't have been horrible, maybe they could've put more Role playing elements.
Sure it's nice to have options, but those options shouldn't take away from the core experience, in fact having more options may limit the depth (and thus more options) of the game. In an opposite example, I think CoD should be online only and shouldn't have single-player.

The best games are those that offer a great single player that can be adapted easily into an online mode, like Tetris.
This argument is exhausted and ought to be retired. You can outspend the gdp of a small island nation with the average AAA game development budget. I'd rather have an alternate avenue of enjoyment in a game I just bought for sixty dollars than have only one playtype with one extra coat of polish. And shame on you for calling Mass Effect 3's campaign "bad". It was fifty hours of tightly composed and emotionally investing excellence, and they fixed the ending.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
as an ex wow player, i can completely sympathize with the single-player audience
having to wait for other people so you can play your game is tiresome, and eventually becomes annoying enough to ruin the experience entirely

oh, oh and let's not forget multiplier achievements.
haha... what evil genius concocted this massacre of time?
every time you play your game 'omg, let's do that 3 hour achievement'.... no?

there is peer pressure, you want to try dual wielding shotguns and wearing a hockey mask, when it only lets you do 100 dps and has 3 Armour?

well you're a bad gamer. fact. people tell you so. omg l2p!!!

couldn't be because i want an actual challenge beyond the designed game-play that we know works that I've been forced to do 90 trillion times and so therefore isn't a real challenge could it? no. i'm just bad.

people suck, they have massive ego problems and cannot controls themselves and frankly i believe i am above them
( it's not ironic, it's just sad. )
and they do not deserve my attention at all until they learn to be civil and respectful of other's time
which will never happen, because there's an inevitable flood of new players all the time and honestly
i really don't want to educate people for the rest of my life, or have constant arguments about anything
that isn't completely obvious at first glance

single player is the last bastion of pure game play, and once it dissolves so will my interest in gaming as a whole
fortunately i have bathesda's catalogue of games on steam
saints row
and the ultimate nirvana of personal glory that is minecraft's block laying perfection

i honestly believe i could play those forever if multiplayer-centric company's take over and attempt to force me to play most ( or all ) of a game's content online in multi-player they can kiss my cash goodbye
i'm lookin at you diablo.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Its not ust lonelyness, there are just times when multiplayer doesn't logically work. I mean if i've been told that i'm the chosen one, the one person destined to do a particular thing, it kind of destroys the premise if two thousand other chosen ones appear.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Thanks but no thanks i dont want some stupid persons crime and poluttion spilling into my city just because he does not know how to play it. Singleplayer games are the best, i WANT to be alone playing games. when i want to be with people i start up a MMO, and i paly MMO ONLY for the social aspect, when i want to play for gaming i do gaming, alone.
And yep id rather be a lone loser than play some games with other people. This is a very stupid idea imo and i completely agree with JIM (as is usual).

I do have to say that as an OPTION to play games like GTA4 with other palyers is not bad. but we already have that, its called multiplayer mode.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Jimothy Sterling said:
Only The Lonely

Watch Video
I don't usually have much or anything to say about JQ, but Holy Fuck, this!

Fucking. THIS.

I'm surrounded by people in my daily life, be it friends, colleagues or family. Oddly enough, I don't want them tagging along with me when I'm wandering around Rapture. I can even sum up the whole thing in one nice (and real life) analogy:

Way back when, I was playing Clive Barker's Undying for the first time. After a good few hours of wandering around a haunted estate and lonely catacombs, I finally got up to Lizbeth, the vampiric socialite. As the dialogue finished and she unleashed an ungodly howl at me, my mum came in and said "Oh, is this a scarrrry bit?".

Totally fucking ruined the experience.

I've had similar experiences with the wife and I now separate my games into "immersive" and "non-immersive".

When she's around, I'll play simpler, more superficial stuff. 2D platformers. JRPGs. Run-and-gun FPSes.

I've had Bioshock on my shelf for years now and I've yet to find the time to play it. Specifically, the time to play it AWAY FROM FUCKING PEOPLE. Because, like Jim says, I don't want some prick running around and completely ruining my immersion. I get enough of that in my living room.

Horror isn't horror when you're with other people. It's schlock. That's a totally different form of entertainment.

Fuck people.

riftermcriftington

Dec 11, 2010
Journey was a brilliant example of how to create engaging multiplayer in a uniquely singular experience. When I beat it I had no idea that I had Journeyed with eight different people. I suspect the immersion was better achieved because it limits your interaction to one button to signify location or desire for help. If the industry is going to insist on tacking on multiplayer or even designing single player experiences with a multiplayer focus, they need to look at titles like Journey and go back to formula to find a way to make the people you're in the game with actually matter, a goal more often accomplished through limitting or refining the experience rather than leaving us awash with options and tactics we have no need or desire for *ahem* team speak *ahem*

Mar 9, 2012
This recently idiocy with forced mulitiplayer, especially in EA games, can be blamed on President of EA Labels and Empty Suit Extraordinaire, Frank Gibeau, who suffers suffers from some arrogant delusion (and if you think I am making baseless accusations, try looking up some of the stuff that the man has said about games and marketing) that online components is what the costumer want, so it is going to be brutally shoehorned in into any EA game, even if it obviously does not fit in the game in question.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Isn't the whole point of escapism to immerse yourself in a well-crafted tale, regardless of medium (Book, Film, Videogame)? What does multiplayer have to do with it...

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
mike1921 said:
erttheking said:
Moth_Monk said:
mike1921 said:

It's a popular opinion so it can't be beyond moronic? "Exact same way as"? They think there's a god who both is so sensitive to jokes like that and worth worshiping? The idea that the powerful should be protected from everything, even jokes, is not just moronic its revolting.
It's a massive sweeping generalization, and since there is no evidence proving them wrong, NO it can't be beyond moronic. And you weren't joking in that post, you were being downright insulting.

Sel Sama

Dec 14, 2012
I like single player games, i also like Multiplayer games when they are done right.

The are some games, like you Jim, that i enjoy, because they are single player games.

I don`t have to deal with some random person who may or may not know what the ____ they are doing. Quite often i found that the people that don`t know what they are doing or should be doing, are the people that don`t know they suck at the game they are playing. When you have to depend on some random A hole to survive, or defeat the challenge, it would be nice if they where competent at the role or task they are suppose to be doing.

There some single player games that suck because the AI that controls your `helpers` suck, in those single player games i wish my friends could take over for the AI, but those games are few and far between, OK there are more of them out there then there should be, but i don`t find my self liking a lot of them enough to play them at all.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
I would like to point out that some of the best games of all time, like Super Metroid, are single player experiences, and that game in particular rides on the feeling of loneliness for much of it's atmosphere. I think many current developers care so much about just making some extra $$ they don't even account for how multilayer might effect the atmosphere of their game. They just know it's a shiny new thing and it has to be crammed in there.

Quite possibly the most hilarious and ironic thing about all this is that most multilayer games have the shortest longevity. Servers get shut down, the next iteration of halo/CoD come out and the previous one is forgotten and swept under the rug. Oh sure, you can still play Halo 2 and the original CoD games, but... not really. It's not like 'Shadow of The Colossus', which will sit on a pedestal until the end of time. Sony might not even exist as a game company 40 years from now and this game will still be there. You won't need any Sony servers or other people to play it with to get the best and fullest experience it has to offer.

I swear, between turning everything multilayer and trying for an all digital future, the game industry is burning their candle at both ends. It's staggering how naive they must think we are. But part of me is kind of glad that in 20-30 years almost every game coming out now will be unplayable. It will force people to go back and play the classics lol
Tangent: It is disquieting with the DRM servers, software compatibility and non-reverse-compatibility that a lot of games will be impossible to play (legally), be they multi-player or single-player. As kids we promised we'd be playing our favorite games into our old age, but it may be harder than expected to do that.

On Topic: The emphasis on multi-player seems like one of numerous gimmicks being employed to make money rather than a lasting enjoyable experience. DLC is a mixed bag, it seems to me multi-player is nearly its own genre now.

Good point on the best games mention. Even classic games aside, look at this year. What were the top games? Walking Dead, Dishonored, Spec Ops, Mass Effect, (Journey). The multi-player games turn a profit, but I can't think of too many memorable ones.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
So what if found was interesting is that loneliness or more accurate, the desire to be alone is a key characteristic of an introvert. Introverts playing video games? Unheard of! Multiplayer games seem a bit... extroverted don't they? What with the socializing and requiring other people and all.. So it seems to me what was once an introverts hobby has broadened to include something that appeals to an extroverted market. Normally this is a good thing and should have led to more games across a wider market with more crossovers and more communication. The problem was that these extroverted games sold better, perhaps because there are more extroverts than introverts, I sure don't know. So these game companies that were founded by and for introverts but have been profiting from extroverts are faced with a dilemma and one that is pretty easily solved by more money.

Moreover it seems to me that the apologist argument of "We have to tolerate mediocre, mass appealing games because they enable game companies to make the arts games we do like" argument doesn't hold water anymore. More and more companies are coming out to say their aim is to get the most money possible, oops I mean they want to make all games multiplayer. So where are those artsy games the shlock has bought? Oh right, they're being sent to kickstarter because big game companies don't want to take a chance on them anymore. Sigh.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who remembers how disappointing fear 3 was.

Not that I was opposed to the co-op when they announced it, but then the built and structured the whole damn game around it and made single-player a tack-on. Why?? (Rhetorical question)

Sep 20, 2010
Love my friends as I do, sometimes it's just healthy to relax by yourself. If we did everything with our friends what the hell would you talk about? =/
"Hey! you know that quest in Skyrim I was struggling with?"
"umm...yeah. I was there remember?"
"oh. i forgot."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
In the first year or so I had my Xbox 360, I felt this.

I'd have all my friends being all 'come on CoD. Come on Halo!'

No, I want to play some Red Dead Redemption and just chill for a while!

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
I think there's a time and a place for Co-Op play and online MP, and there are times when playing solo is nice.

I know that i couldn't play Borderlands alone, it just wouldn't be as fun without me and my friends making asses of ourselves in an all consuming miasma of violence and snark

And i will play dishonored alone forever, because it's awesome and intimate and just feels like it was meant to be that way (the lack of MP proves this fact)

Now when GTA comes out, when i need a break from the story, i will gather my friends together for some good old fashioned dogfights in fighter jets, Why? Because that's awesome.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
erttheking said:
mike1921 said:
erttheking said:
Moth_Monk said:
mike1921 said:

It's a massive sweeping generalization, and since there is no evidence proving them wrong, NO it can't be beyond moronic. And you weren't joking in that post, you were being downright insulting.
Actually yeah, there doesn't need to be evidence proving someone wrong for their idea to be beyond moronic. Coming up with a complete fantasy based on nothing is not exactly something worthy of respect. If I said Harry Potter was real and we, of course, cannot have any solid evidence against it because wizards can just make us all forget. Like in the book. Would be beyond moronic for me to believe that, but you sure as hell can't prove it wrong.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
The point here is that multiplayer shouldn't be at the expense of good single player, so I'm a bit dubious about applying this to RPGs. They don't really have problems with keeping single player intact while adding multiplayer. Take for example the Diablo series, which obviously consists of Diablo 1 and 2 and nothing else. D2 in particular is a perfectly complete RPG experience when played single player and loses absolutely nothing for having multiplayer, but because it DOES have multiplayer, it has also become one of the most entertaining staples of LAN gaming for me and my friends. Why exactly can this not be done for RPGs like skyrim? Dungeon Siege 2, Sacred 2, Titan Quest and such are great but getting old, and this trend of making single-player only games that COULD have multi at NO expense to single is getting very annoying. Yes, axe the multiplayer if the game is supposed to be focused on single-player and anything else would take away from it, but RPG 1p modes are usually impervious to the effects of having multiplayer capability elsewhere on the disc, so why not?

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
People who think "loneliness in games" is a bad thing don't get that games are a retreat, an area to relax.
For them, there needs to be constant action, games are entertainment-dynomite, exploding in your face every minute that you play.
Adrenalin-fueled FPS sessions and tense MMORPG raids are a valid way to experience a game.
I guess, after such events, the "everything needs a co-op mode"-people just leave their computer to be alone and relax in the real world while reading a book.
Well, sorry that my lifestyle is not the exact same as theirs.
I like the loneliness in games. It gives me time to immerse myself into a well-constructed virtual environment, enjoying it in ways that I couldn't if I had the constant worry that some Steam-pal simply joined my quiet world.
I want to be alone sometimes in games! The sensory-deprevation tank was an apt analogy for something that I have found: Loneliness is stress-free and safe. You can't fuck up with no-one around, or at least it doesn't matter that much.
Certain parts of your brain can shut off and relax when you're alone, giving you the capacity to deal with your gaming experience more deeply.
I can handle it when someone tells me to stop talking to the NPCs and to stop gawking at the nice environment in an MMORPG because that is not the main point of an MMORPG. However, games like Skyrim have environment, NPCs, basically their atmosphere as the main attraction. The immersion is the entire point!
That just doesn't happen when you're dragged around by one of your friends, who wants to speedrun every quest and who gets annoyed when you stop to smell the roses.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
As a solitary gamer, I agree. A lot of my games are geared to single-player enjoyment... Things like the Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry series', God of War, Pokemon, Prototype, etc. Yes, Assassin's Creed has multiplayer, but I scarcely play it and when I do I don't ever interact with anyone on it.

Except maybe to hum the jaws theme as I stalk someone.

KrystelCandy

Aug 18, 2012
I'm just an introvert.

I hate being around people all the time, I get enough of that out at work or going out with friends, when I'm home playing games, I'm more than happy to do it alone. I have multiplayer games... when I want multiplayer I play THOSE, like TF2, or league of legends. Not Dead Space or whatever.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
this reminds me of that old dicovery shannel comercial where the guy talks about game development and how the future is playing always with other due to the AI never being as good as a real person. what he missed was that AI also isnt likely to wander by with blue hair, jumping off the roof of buildings, screaming that im a fag and generally bing a complete pain in the ass to others just for shits and giggles.

i like single player games and i like some multiplayer ones but for different reasons

Scyla

Jul 26, 2010
I would love to have Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 to have a co-op mode to play it together with a friend. Especially after I played The old Republic with a buddy.

That experience was awesome but hindered by the game design of a MMORPG. The scenes were not nearly as epic as in a single player games. You can defeat the best of the best only so many times before it gets dull and you realize that you play a grindfest and not an immersive experience.

But the mechanics for group play in a traditionally single player game worked really well. That shows that you can do it.

Regarding Sim City. Jim you have to understand the inclusion of social networking is the last resort for EA do inject relevance into Sim City before that brand goes down the drain. Please don't destroy their illusion that what they do is still relevant and useful :p .

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Jim, if you are reading this. I don't care if you don't believe in God. But do you people have to insult everyone who does?
You are being the exact same kind of people that you hate. I know the reasons why you have certain kind of religious people, I live in Pakistan I see some of these people often, my email is on Yahoo and every-time I sign out and am taken to the front page of Yahoo UK (there is no Yahoo Pakistan, and i don't want an account on Yahoo India) and almost every news story there has commentators bordering on the KKK. They use nationalism and sometimes religion to insult people who are different. You insult the UK there you get hundreds of dislikes, insult Muslims or Jews you get hundreds of likes. And I know you actually have to deal with these kinds of people every day in real life.
These are terrible people but their religion has nothing to do with it. Insult them however much you like, insult Muslims or Christians or any other religious group however much you like but please refrain from insulting Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism or any other religion.
AlQuaida or the Taliban know nothing about Islam, the Westbro Baptists know nothing about Christianity and I am sure Israel frequently disobeys Judaism.
And if the point isn't clear enough, one of the fiercest famous critics of terrorism, sectarianism and extremism in Pakistan is a bearded religious scholar and lawyer Dr. Tahirul Qadri(he might have been in BBC News recently due to his Tahrir Square style rally outside the parliament house in Islamabad).
Also see your fake nerd girls video again. You mention that you think that evangelical Christians think that Atheists and Muslims spend every minute of every day think of ways to ruin their lives. What does that make you? You think religious people spend every minute of every day thinking of ways to ruin your life?
Previously you were disrespected for being atheists now you are member of some elite club that we don't want to be part of. Is it too much to ask to not have my religion insulted while I watch your insightful opinions(almost all of which I agree with) on video games and all related things? You rue that girls are belittled at conventions due to booth babes but insulting religious people watching a video on something not related to religion is completely fine?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well shit, Jim pretty much got in my head and said exactly how i feel about gaming. Fuck multiplayer, i like to play a game by myself and be absorbed by it, not have other people to contend with when i want to chill down.

Calvin

Sep 26, 2012
You know Jimmy..... When you starded here I was disapointed in your shows in you to say the least.
However, over the time you concered my hart and I learned to truely apreaciate your insight. Im not shure if you became more enjoable or if I lowered my expectations towards you....
Nevertheless, keep it up, you seem to getting the hang of it;)

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I find my friends don't usually like the same kinda games that I do.

Therefore, most of the games I play multiplayer requires me to play with "randoms". Randoms ruin multiplayer.

Therefore I find I prefer single player games, because then I don't have to deal with online randoms. The new SimCity is completely ruined by this forced online-multiplayer, which is sad.

The only kind of game I can STAND to play multiplayer are MMOs, and I usually solo in those as well

Triality

May 9, 2011
Oh Jim, you magnificent blasphemer!

Your lecture today reminded me of a book I picked up at my library today, "Quiet: The Secret Power of Introverts." It's basically the first book that tells the Extrovert-loving-earth to fuck off! I -being and introvert- appreciate as much time as I can get in solitude, because it is where I engage myself with distractions, entertainment, enrichment, or recharge for when I am ready to make human contact again. Humans may be social animals, and need some amount of social contact, but like you I really don't appreciate this attitude the mega-developers/publishers are conceiving that everyone wants multiplayer and to not be alone.

Let me share a tiny little secret with everyone: You can only feel lonely around other people most of the time. Gasp! Shocking right?! Being as we are social animals if there is no one around to worry about, our minds don't engage in feeling lonely. More often they work out how to find something (I'm going to say it again, patterns anyone) engaging! I think this evolution of thinking is merely a mutation of the extrovert sneaking his slimy greasy unwanted fingers into parts of life that the introvert wishes be kept alone.

Thanks again for reinforcing what I appreciate in single player, Jim.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
A Curious Fellow said:
ex275w said:
A Curious Fellow said:

This argument is exhausted and ought to be retired. You can outspend the gdp of a small island nation with the average AAA game development budget. I'd rather have an alternate avenue of enjoyment in a game I just bought for sixty dollars than have only one playtype with one extra coat of polish. And shame on you for calling Mass Effect 3's campaign "bad". It was fifty hours of tightly composed and emotionally investing excellence, and they fixed the ending.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/we-play-alone-together-why-conventional-wisdom-about-single-player-games-is

Well I really don't mind one playtype I love modes like the Devil May Cry Bloody Palace, or playing as other characters like the Kratos dressed as a fish. Games should've incentives for being replayed, other than being really good. These options are fun and don't require a lot of the programming work.

The problem is that online multiplayer is the most common and expensive option that is used for games, and it's not really used by as many people as it should be, especially considering how expensive it is compared to other options.

As for Mass Effect 3, I thought everything was rushed and should've happened in Mass Effect 2, so sue me :p.

IgnisInCaelum

Feb 2, 2011
Welp, Jim's digging. That intro was absolutely fantastic, but I feel like there's a fallacy or two involved in the argument itself. I'm not the only one to consider "loneliness" and "being alone" different things; the quote that set Jim off could've been based on an understanding of the word "loneliness" similar to my own. As I (and possibly Ocean Quigley) would define it, loneliness is by definition a bad thing and something one would only want from particular sorts of games, games designed to exploit players' lonely, discontented feelings. Feeling lonely (again, by my understanding of the term) occurs specifically because a person is unhappy about being alone or not being with trusted/familiar people and would not happen (barring disorders such as depression) to one who is completely fine with his or her aloneness, separation, etc. Maybe Jim had no idea that there was another definition floating around, but then again maybe he just intentionally ignored the point to have something to argue with.

As for singleplayer vs. multiplayer, I'd like to see more multiplayer and especially co-op, but only where it belongs. Fthreear's co-op pretty blatantly wrecked the atmosphere of the game, but in Magicka it's hilarious and useful. I'd love to be able to play Skyrim with a friend (if I had friends, at least) and don't see why that should be completely out of the question for such games. In that particular case there is a bit of loneliness which, though maybe intentional, limits it for me. I can have followers, but they're really not that interesting and definitely nothing like as interesting as having a friend along. I also don't see nearly as much of the co-op being crammed into everything as people like to complain about. Maybe I just don't play the right games, but I've got few that are capable of any sort of co-op and even fewer that have what I'd call "co-op" as opposed to something more like "playing on the same team."

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Krantos said:
Moth_Monk said:
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith.
Um....
Moth_Monk said:
Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?
You insulted a random person on the internet, for no apparent reason, on no personal basis. Simply because they believe differently than you. How stupid is that?

hmmm....
Hey, if it's okay for Jim Sterling to mass insult several million religious people and proclaim himself to be greater than their deity, why can't the other side do the same?

PS: I'm non-Christian.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Couldn't agree more with Jim on this, seeing as Metroid is my favourite game franchise, in which a feeling of loneliness and isolation is a core aspect of the games aesthetic. There's no way anyone would consider giving one of those a multiplayer mode.

oh....
Well, I'm sure they at least learned from that mistake

face-palms
Oh Jesus, what's wrong with you people.​

When you consider just how immeasurably different single-player and multiplayer gaming is, it's amazing how many games try to cram in both rather than just pick one run with it. There's nothing wrong with playing a game alone, just like there's nothing wrong with reading a book alone or doing anything else that's equally immersive.

However, if I may take issue with one aspect of this episode, it's the use of the word "lonely". I was always under the impression that "loneliness" was an inherently negative quality, or at least one that held a connotation of sadness. Just because you're alone doesn't necessarily mean you're lonely. I spend most of my time alone and I never get lonely, maybe bored, but not lonely. The two aren't synonymous.
I believe it was Sartre who said "If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company".

THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!​

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
the fact that we even feel the need to point out this and "single player games are still valid" is fucking rediculous

when I play mass effect multiplayer I'm not playing mass effect...I'm playing hoarde mode or whatever it is

at least in Dead space 3's case they dont seem to be gutting the game to make co-op essential

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
GunsmithKitten said:
Hey, if it's okay for Jim Sterling to mass insult several million religious people and proclaim himself to be greater than their deity, why can't the other side do the same?

PS: I'm non-Christian.
You do realize Jim is only making a joke right? There's a pretty big line between insulting someone an meaning it and insulting them because it's you're show persona.

I thought it was pretty widely accepted that Jim's Ego on the Jimquisition is just done for a larf.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
sometimes you watch movies alone, for the movies sake, sometimes you watch them with company, ome are good alone, some are better with others, some are good just with a certain person (horror => BF). books are mostly enjoyed alone, but they can be great entertainment when reading them to someone else...
games are good at both. just comparing bioshock singleplayer to its multiplayer makes it obvious what singleplayer has to offer...
Other games are more fun with friends, like left4dead. playing alone or with others is quite a different experiance while using the same medium, just shows what potential games have.
Being alone shouldnt have such a stigma. while being alone a lot in my past I had moments of the most growth as a person. meditation requires to be alone and works for everyone different. I think a person who constantly needs the presence of others might be afraid to be alone with themselves, case there is nothing than ones own thoughts...

being lonely and being alone is not the same.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I always thank Jesos for Jim. I can see now that Jesos is the wrong entity to thank for Jim.
Thank you, Jim, for showing me the way once again.

OT: That's...pretty much what I tell my friends every time they complain about me buying a game that lacks multiplayer. I love playing with my friends. But sometimes you just gotta play on your own. and I'm blaming kids nowadays that feel the need to be connected to the internet 24/7. Yeah, I said kids.

On a related topic, I was playing Portal 2 today and I noticed that I was missing a bunch of trophies, all of them obtained via multiplayer. Now, I'm not a perfectionist so its not like I was shooting to have all the trophies in the game. But it does bother me that I can't get the trophies not because I don't want to but because I MUST play with others. I mus change the way I play, and the way I've played the game so far, just to get those achievements. Whether the multiplayer is fun or not is irrelevant right now. I just don't like being forced to interact with others if I don't feel like doing so.

I do prefer to play on my own, most of the time, mostly because my friends only like FPS and I don't like people breaking my immersion in the game by yelling "OMG U N00B WTFBBQ!11!!1!" and then watching 'DatA$$86' proceed to face-crouch me.

As it is, Left 4 Dead, a game I love and play almost religiously every night, a game that is, for the most part, meant to be played online, is hard to take seriously or even enjoy when people start being dicks and kick you out or start cussing for no apparent reason at all or ditch you or they left their 5 year olds grab a hold of the headset (Something that happens very often, apparently).

It's okay to play by yourself. It doesn't make me forever alone. And it certainly doesn't mean all games should have multiplayer just cause its cool (Right, AC?). That's why I respect Bioshock Infinite for it.

Ronin1325

Mar 11, 2012
What Jim said about playing games 'to *be* lonely' is spot on, though as others have said, 'solitude' would have been a better word. (No offense, Jim. ^_^ )

But as others have also pointed out, this isn't really the issue. It's a front. The vast majority of AAA game companies out there have been trying like the dickens to change their games from a Product to a *Service*. From something that you can buy, own & play at your discretion even 20 years after you bought it, to something you must pay a monthly fee for, forever. Or at least until they shut the servers down. (R.I.P. City of Heroes...) Keep that in mind as well. People invest years of their lives in some of these games, and all that can be lost permanently at the flick of a switch...

Personally I've never played an MMO & won't for that reason. I can pick up my 15 year old copy of Fallout 1 & play it without an internet connection & without paying anyone any more money. This is something game companies want to stop. It's 'lost revenue' from their perspective. And they're not the only ones, most software companies out there want to take us back to the 1970's where you logged onto a server, paid a fee & used an app on the server. That's The Cloud and it's a very, very bad idea.

In any event, what's ironic about much of this conversation is that for many games, particularly RPG's, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation in regards to multiplayer. Baldur's Gate is a perfect example. You can play it single player or co-op with no loss to the single player experience. There is no reason that a more modern game like Mass Effect could not have used that exact same model. But I should stress that that play over a LAN/WAN peer-to-peer does NOT generate revenue for the companies, which is why they don't want to revist that road either.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Welcome back to the church of Jimqisition!
Our collective prayer today shall be:
Thou shalt not question nor doubt our saviors preachings and shalt not accuse him for blasphemy when he shows generous gratitude towards god for creating him tho it makes you the blasphemer.
Amen.

On topic:
I haven't thought that would be an issue. I mean, while i enjoy time around others and are good with people in general, i really need my "alone time", even more than some others, as you said, to get away from all those stupid buggers and recharge to deal with them again ;)
But i have no problem finding the singleplayer games i enjoy, if anyone would ever try to make a Zelda multiplayer i would personally fly to japan and shit on that developers desk... wait, what you say? "Four Swords"?... ehm, yeah, maybe i'll fly over another time.
But seriously, i think i get what you want to say but on the other hand, multiplayer has always been there, Arcades were stuffed with both single- but often even more multiplayer games, consoles had more single- (i think), but also good multiplayers. Focus on multiplayer might seem increased (or even have increased statistically, but not that much i guess) considering the higher connectivity, but none the less we're provided with awesome singleplayer games as well and i can't imagine that will change soon... or ever, even if multiplayer will continue to grow there will always be demand and therefore supply of good singleplayer games. While the industry might support multiplayer more - because of money obviously - developers will always want to make good singleplayer games as well, because it is like "high art" to many of them.

But then again
I remember the prayer and restrain myself from neither questioning nor doubting our savior because his are the words of truth and he is the one to tell what was, is and will be.

Thank god for you Jim :)

Krixous

Jan 15, 2013
I'm a rpg gamer so my alone time is some of my favourite time ive only found one person i can play with co-op style without getting pissed off cuz theyd do something stupid honestly people piss me off I deal with them enough at work when i get home the last thing i want is to join a random game on umm CoD and have a 11 year old call me a ****** for winning or losing generally doesnt matter.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
I for one love offline games. Fallout 3 , Super Mario Bros. , God Of War 1 - 3 my point is I use games as a form of escapism. I know that this is only one way of using entertainment I also know that entertainment can also be used as a format of self-expresion. I respect that and use it for that reason as well. However when I want to escape sometimes that does mean from other people. I don't mean any disrespect to the people I do know but it's sometimes healthy to put up some distance and escape from the familiar. So in that respect I agree completely with this video.

Besides I'd like to know whats so " fun " with children yelling screaming and cursing on online video game services. Really that is the point I have the biggest issue. That is a big deterrent with me playing online video games. I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it but it does make the whole experience LESS enjoyable for me. So in order to get away from that I PREFER to play offline games.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
Jim, if you are reading this. I don't care if you don't believe in God. But do you people have to insult everyone who does?
Stopped reading right there.

a) Jim is obviously joking.
b) He's responding to the people who constantly complain about him saying "Thank God for me".
c) If you are one of the people mentioned in part b, I'm pretty sure you're only proving Jim's point in the video you just named.

What you should be asking is "wait, if Jim is God as he claims in one of his videos, then how can Jim be afraid of himself?"

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
for me its not that i'm socially deprived(at least i dont think i am) its that people are mostly douches and assholes in multiplayer. or spent the last 4 years training in it. most MMOs fall in the first category. people there were stupid and jerks so i just stopped playing.(they not giving a shit about me did really help)and games like CS fall in the first category. its not really fun if people kill you in the first 5 seconds. so for me its those two problems. outher than that i enjoy a multiplayer once in a while. but nothing can beat single player. never ever.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
The biggest reason why I like some games to be single player is because I want to be immersed in the game, and other people tend to ruin immersion for me. For example, I got to playing Borderlands 2 and for a while tried to play through it in co-op. I didn't find it enjoyable at all. It's not that I didn't enjoy the frantic shooting and working with people, I just got tired of dealing with a bunch of people rushing through the level who didn't care to play at my pace. I enjoy looking at the levels and seeing all the little stories the designers have told with the item placement. There is narrative in the world that you don't even see if you just rush through it.
Even in games like WoW where you're supposed to play with others I often find myself wishing I could just do the first time through a dungeon by myself, and actually enjoy the environments and story behind it. Every time you get a new dungeon in an MMO these days you'll most likely be grouped with people who have been through it a dozen times over already and will make sure that your first time through will feel just as routine and devoid of wonder as their thirtieth.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
To be a little more fair to the game companies that think "single player games are lonely", I believe there IS something to be said for an enhancement of what Valve called the Single Player Plus experience. It's the "idea" that rarely do you truly play a game alone, even those of us who prefer single player games talk to our friends about said games, interact with an online community discussing said games, watch reviews and videos about said games etc. and there really is a LOT that could be done with this kind of experience.

Take Skyrim as an example, I don't want Skyrim to be a required multiplayer experience, I LOVE wandering the world on my own, discovering secrets, having huge freedom to effect the world the way I want and not have to deal with some random tool ruining my experience but at the same time it'd be awesome to say... be able to mark cool locations in the world and send them to my friends, or even have a "social area" where we can show off our characters to eachother in real time. Or even something like Dragon Quest 9's "Inn" where you could have your friends characters hang out.

At the same time this kind of thing is frequently used for "forced co-op" and can hamper the Single Player Experience. Case and point also being Dragon Quest 9, a game that squandered a legacy of fantastic characters and great storytelling for a Co-op Experience that was ultimately pretty damn lame. I mean I don't MIND being able to co-op the game with my friends, but if I had to choose between Co-op and a well written story with good characters I would take the well written story in a heartbeat. I guess most game devs are still too damn cheap to make games where you can have both co-op and a good singleplayer.

Jasper Kazai

Dec 8, 2007
I know that your point was multiplayer doesn't need to be in games, and not that it's a bad thing, but personally, RE5's co-op is the only reason I would play it. I love playing co-op games with certain people, and I have no interest in it otherwise.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
When Jim was going on about wanting to be alone, I was expecting him to also include "sometimes we need to be alone".

Oh, and Jim, you should change your sign-off to "Than me for God!", because at least we can prove you exist. :)

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
An entertaining barb at the vapid, socially-obsessed hyper-extroverts. Now, I was going to say that people saying Jim's blasphemous for saying "thank God for me" is stupid, because it's not; he's -thanking God- for himself, which honestly is somewhat refreshing. Sure it's a bit self-centered, but it's also being appreciative to God for making him the way he is and giving him the life he has. There's lots of people who only ***** about what's wrong in their lives or what's wrong with themselves, so actually valuing what God's given you isn't insulting to God at all.

Aaaaaaaand then Jim starts playing the part of the shock jock and openly belittling God. Yeah...he really didn't need to do that. Maybe he was doing it just to push the buttons of the religiously hyper-sensitive, maybe he was being serious and actually wanted to sneer at God (though I think the former's more likely). Either way, it didn't come across as that funny to me, and even if it did to some, frankly I think it was a pretty mean-spirited laugh to have.