Jimquisition: Only The Lonely

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
To be a little more fair to the game companies that think "single player games are lonely", I believe there IS something to be said for an enhancement of what Valve called the Single Player Plus experience. It's the "idea" that rarely do you truly play a game alone, even those of us who prefer single player games talk to our friends about said games, interact with an online community discussing said games, watch reviews and videos about said games etc. and there really is a LOT that could be done with this kind of experience.

Take Skyrim as an example, I don't want Skyrim to be a required multiplayer experience, I LOVE wandering the world on my own, discovering secrets, having huge freedom to effect the world the way I want and not have to deal with some random tool ruining my experience but at the same time it'd be awesome to say... be able to mark cool locations in the world and send them to my friends, or even have a "social area" where we can show off our characters to eachother in real time. Or even something like Dragon Quest 9's "Inn" where you could have your friends characters hang out.

At the same time this kind of thing is frequently used for "forced co-op" and can hamper the Single Player Experience. Case and point also being Dragon Quest 9, a game that squandered a legacy of fantastic characters and great storytelling for a Co-op Experience that was ultimately pretty damn lame. I mean I don't MIND being able to co-op the game with my friends, but if I had to choose between Co-op and a well written story with good characters I would take the well written story in a heartbeat. I guess most game devs are still too damn cheap to make games where you can have both co-op and a good singleplayer.

Jasper Kazai

Dec 8, 2007
I know that your point was multiplayer doesn't need to be in games, and not that it's a bad thing, but personally, RE5's co-op is the only reason I would play it. I love playing co-op games with certain people, and I have no interest in it otherwise.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
When Jim was going on about wanting to be alone, I was expecting him to also include "sometimes we need to be alone".

Oh, and Jim, you should change your sign-off to "Than me for God!", because at least we can prove you exist. :)

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
An entertaining barb at the vapid, socially-obsessed hyper-extroverts. Now, I was going to say that people saying Jim's blasphemous for saying "thank God for me" is stupid, because it's not; he's -thanking God- for himself, which honestly is somewhat refreshing. Sure it's a bit self-centered, but it's also being appreciative to God for making him the way he is and giving him the life he has. There's lots of people who only ***** about what's wrong in their lives or what's wrong with themselves, so actually valuing what God's given you isn't insulting to God at all.

Aaaaaaaand then Jim starts playing the part of the shock jock and openly belittling God. Yeah...he really didn't need to do that. Maybe he was doing it just to push the buttons of the religiously hyper-sensitive, maybe he was being serious and actually wanted to sneer at God (though I think the former's more likely). Either way, it didn't come across as that funny to me, and even if it did to some, frankly I think it was a pretty mean-spirited laugh to have.