Jimquisition: Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

Pejell

Nov 13, 2009
Happy holidays Jim. Thanks for another year of clarity and righteous anger! Keep it up, you're one of the highlights of my weekly online digestion. :D

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Great episode for the most part as per usual, Jim. one thing I would have to say was wrong was the "Killer Instinct always online" part. That was to do with the game being played on a "secondary" console (not the one that bought it) and therefore needing to check that the user that owned the game was still there. It wasn't the return of the 24 Hour DRM check that many sites ran with. It's the same way of doing things that has been used on some consoles this generation to prevent people just downloading free copies willy nilly on various machines.

Again, besides that, great episode Jim, and thank God for you. Hopefully, the Jimquisition continues to get better and better :D

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
Dear Escapists. Please stop having ads that are videos that start by themselves. They are obnoxious and make people get ad block. I have not done that yet but if i have to keep turning off these video ads I may be convinced to. This is an advertisement from 'Yahoo' and is something about "Keith's Story".

Great unscripted episode Jim! It was interesting to watch an episode without the persona. Looking forward to the worst games of 2013!

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Here is to hoping that 2014 puts these figures of speech about "ownership" over information to the rest, in both of their idiotic literal interpretations.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
You may have been unscripted, but you still knew just what to say. ;D
I feel hopeful for next year.
RTR said:
Given the title, I'm a little surprised that Jim wasn't dressed in drag. Then again, I'm an ignorant non-Englishman.
That's a different episode. ;p
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6073-Lets-End-the-FPS-Sausage-fest

:D Thank God for you, Jim!

May you have a happy new year!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Legion said:
I've said it before, but I always really like the unscripted ones. The Jimquisition persona is funny, but sometimes feels like it detracts from the points being made because of it. With these kinds of videos it feels a lot more sincere and the point comes across a lot better because of it.

I look forward to seeing what the worst games of 2013 were for you. I haven't seen any bad things said about the games I have liked so far, so am curious to see which ones have made the list.
Just to remind you, he used the jimquisition persona(mask or card, whichever you look more. Or a gun) in the unscripted ones. He would just go off on us and ramble on. I'm not so sure how good they were back then.

Also, he definitely has far more experience talking to his audience now. With experience comes... whatever it is called. I dunno. Maybe more finesse and such.

Point is, this is him talking outside of his persona. Maybe if it's scripted and he would leave the persona out, we might get something far more thoughtful, since he would be talking from himself, not the persona. That's just what I think though.

OT: Yup, gaming news has been mostly about that. Like, it was a shitstorm upon shitstorm this year. That's not to say it's bad, it brings to light things that should be:

1. Female protagonist's being rejected, since they don't sell.
2. DLC that's abused.
3. Using an F2P model for games that sell at full price. Or just being all the bravest. Because they certainly have balls to try.
4. Sexism in gaming. And not of the mario kind.

But last of all, AAA playing it very safe in a creative industry. It sounds like an oxymoron to me, since being creative always means taking certain risks. But relying on data that's already proven, that just smacks of being lazy. I know it's hard to do this right, but at the same time, try going out there. Oh wait, I'm feeling the burning of investors on my back.

All that is my view on the thing. Though, now I wish there is a thread about this... Should I just post another thread? About what everyone else thinks of what gaming was this year?

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
But Jim, if there werent any shit people then you wouldnt be able to put on a show for us. So lets be thankful for the shit people because theyll be a whole new breed of them next year, and there will even be some of the those shit people who didnt learn their lesson before and thus became even shittier.

So heres to the shit people who will be flushed out by the Jimquistition in 2014

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I've started reading Good Omens, co-written by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and there's a paragraph early on which I think can be repurposed to be relevant to the second half of this video that goes as such:
"[Crowley] did his best to make [humans'] short lives miserable, because it was his job, but nothing he could think up was half as bad as the stuff they thought up themselves. They seemed to have a talent for it. It was built into the design, somehow. They were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse."

I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself, but it does seem more and more like people seem to take everything related to video games far more seriously than it really calls for. I've been really burnt out on all of the silly nontroversies, truth be told, and really wish people could all just take a deep breath and relax and realize that one woman who talks about how tropes in video games might potentially be sexist, or another woman who might want to have more female representation in games and is working as an artist for a game aren't going to absolutely destroy gaming for everyone else in the world.
Great book, great quote... And you're 100% spot on. I've got to the point where I've resolved to steer clear of any threads involving political or social discussions, especially on game forums, and just talk about what I love about games, not what sucks.
Too many negatives here folks, I thought the whole point of entertainment was to have fun and enjoy life and if things are a little silly or non-realisitic, thats the whole point of entertaining oneself. Otherwise its just another dose of reality.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
I never know how to take Jim outside of his fake persona but that was nice and I enjoyed the video:)

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

The beginning of what is sure to become an annual holiday tradition. Jim Sterling drops the script and delivers a reflective discussion on this, our most blessed Christmas Day.

Watch Video
Was it humbleness or was it better left unsaid that you were asserting Divine Mandate in this affair Mr Sterling?

Still thank you for the show.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
to be fair, i'm watching it the day after christmas because it was posted the day after christmas.
but yeah, it sure would be nice if everyone suddenly decided to spontaneously stop being shit, but you know how it is. holding onto a hopeless wish like that's only going to weigh you down. people are only getting worse.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Not a bad episode at all. Even if only to show although he does go over-the-top he does believe in what he says. Not just for show, not all the time atleast.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
See, this is a great, really fair and honest video. Really enjoyable.

I'm curious how he reconciles this, with the tone of his last video.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
The Queen's speech is the best speech.
We should have this broadcast worldwide on TV as well.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
In 2013, the Jimquisition has become something that I genuinely look forward to every week. The videos always are put together very well and give me something to think about regardless of whether I agree or not. You bring attention to important issues and add to the commentary in a respectable way. You've also become my favorite games journalist this past year, Jim- your reviews are harsh but fair, you actually discuss a game in lots of critical detail, and you're not afraid to both bring the hammer down when necessary and give credit where credit is due.

I just wanted to thank you for giving so much of your time and effort to both educate and entertain us week after week, Jim. You are truly a Queen among men.

Here's to a great 2014, which shall be the Year of Jim Sterling. Thank God for you!

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
"If you need an excuse to not be a shit person, you're a shit person." -- Jim Sterling.

So simple, so bleeding obvious, so profound.

Happy New Year Jimmy boy.