Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Sony created a magic moment this past week at E3, declaring for the world that PS4 would not restrict used games or utilize DRM. Power to the people!

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, how sad it is that Sony just has to say that they'll do things that have been done for years and get lauded for it. Those things should go without saying.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I also liked sony's approach to indie games. Most of my time has been spent on XBLA indie games, and so it's good to see sony so righteously embracing them. Solar 2, From Dust, Blood Dragon, these games are awesome and I'm glad to see sony facilitating the production of more of them.

Plus, no DRM. Sorry microsoft, you lose. Although I'm still also getting an ouya purely because it's guaranteed to have freeware on it, being an open source console.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
Why would they? If they get the install base that it looks like they're going to get, leaving the policies in place, while focusing on ramping up the PSN marketplace would net them a lot more cash than turning around and screwing over the consumer. It would make no sense for them to do that.

OT: Its really surprising to see just how thoroughly Microsoft has screwed this up on a PR level. Policies aside, they announced things in the worst way possible, especially in the clusterfuck after they announced their console.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
MichaelMaverick said:
Well it wouldn't be the first time they did that but right now there is no evidence to support that claim so it is irrelevant.

I don't praise the Ps4 for doing nothing but at the same time they are the more appealing of the two choices (already have Wii U).

Also glad to see Jim mention Microsoft's true intentions, and that is they are declaring war on consumers.

Sadly enough some gamers still desperately try to defend their actions with what I could only assume to be a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
Exceptional articulation of the Sony's reveal of support for used games.

The realization that this announcement--with all its praise--is really a celebration of the status quo is something I'm certain came to just about everyone's mind, and exploring why this inaction is deserving of such high regard is exactly the right angle to go from.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
MichaelMaverick said:
probably true, but they have been spanked pretty hard in the past for being dick holes. Maybe they've figured out they need to be jerks in small manageable doses instead of huge clusterfucks like the xbone and Diablo 3

wait... diablo 3 is coming to ps4 and it's an always online game right?

fucking son of a *****.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Sadly enough some gamers still desperately try to defend their actions with what I could only assume to be a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.
What's that saying? Don't attribute to malice what can be equally attributed to stupidity.

Or, in this case, don't assume mental psychosis when they really could just be utter morons. "Stockholm Syndrome"... yeah, nah, they just have poor problem solving skills or something.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Rainboq said:
MichaelMaverick said:
Why would they? If they get the install base that it looks like they're going to get, leaving the policies in place, while focusing on ramping up the PSN marketplace would net them a lot more cash than turning around and screwing over the consumer. It would make no sense for them to do that.
Maybe because people have already bought a PS4 by then and are reluctant to change just because policies change. It wouldn't surprise me if they caved to the pressure, no.

Still, this is worthy of celebration. Kudos, Sony.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I already own a super pc so I?m probably not going to get a ps4 until it becomes cheaper.

Despite that I really hope the playstation 4 beats the xbox one, I don?t expect the xbox one to fail but I don?t expect it to beat the play station 4.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, how sad it is that Sony just has to say that they'll do things that have been done for years and get lauded for it. Those things should go without saying.
While sad, it's still pretty poignant on my decision between the next generation of consoles, since it preserves what I'm still unsure Sony realizes they are; gaming tradition/precedence/history. I think this is one medium where technology CAN overstep it's bounds. People want to just play games, on a controller with simple button layouts. Other entertainment mediums are great, but they don't have a part to play in the video game entertainment genre.

I find it important to separate my entertainment mediums as well; I find I get bored of my iphone, having what I need, games, Netflix AND HBO GO, but enjoy each separately on other 'consoles' (as in, including PC). There IS such a thing as too much through one medium, I'll believe. Then again, this is myself; YMMV.

EDIT: New thought: 'Status quo' has been mentioned in the thread now, and I think it should be said that Sony not breaking that actually helps, since it at least puts them in a position, if not to better listen to core gamers, at least sounds like they have heard their concerns; Video game corporations have had a great* track record of listening to core gamers.

MichaelMaverick said:
Also worried about this, since they did pull Other OS from PS3, which pissed me off to the moon.

*:Read: A gradual process to complete ignorance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
and, at the same time, when the other half of the coin has decided to go balls-out on the restrictions, simply upholding the status quo IS serious business.

Racecarlock said:
Plus, no DRM.
No additional DRM. There's a big difference there.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
"Or just buy a gaming PC and have an awesome life."

That's basically what I was thinking the whole episode.