Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
Mick P. said:
Shdwrnr said:
Does nobody remember the last time Sony promised a feature that people got really excited about? How are those Linux PS3's doing now anyway?
I installed Linux on mine. But it was a lot of work to switch between Linux and Xross. In Linux there were no hardware accelerated 3D graphics drivers. Last I checked that hadn't changed.

If anyone knows otherwise, please quote this so I will see your reply in the site's PM inbox.
The point was that OtherOS was a feature that Sony promised. They created it, they shipped it, then they changed their minds and stripped it out in a firmware update and started litigation on an enthusiest who showed people how to do it anyway. Sony has made promises of features in the past and thought nothing of tearing them away from you even post purchase. I don't see how people can trust their claims now after seeing what they think of their own promises.

hermes200 said:
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
Perhaps, but so far we have no reason to believe so.
See above.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
the simple fact that Transistor will be available on the PS4 is enough for me really, I look forward to that game being solid gold like Bastion before it

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Rainboq said:
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
Why would they? If they get the install base that it looks like they're going to get, leaving the policies in place, while focusing on ramping up the PSN marketplace would net them a lot more cash than turning around and screwing over the consumer. It would make no sense for them to do that.

OT: Its really surprising to see just how thoroughly Microsoft has screwed this up on a PR level. Policies aside, they announced things in the worst way possible, especially in the clusterfuck after they announced their console.
This! SONY has no reason to follow MS's lead and force DRM down our throats. All they need to do is follow the lead of Steam, iTunes and Amazon and actually give us a benefit for voluntarily moving in that direction. They have all the tools they need in place. Leverage PSN with Steam type sales. SONYs tech allows the user to swap out or expend their hard drive. So they have lots of space. They are using the Indies to bring people into the digital download space. They have GaiKai to allow for a digital delivery of a vast back catalog. And we will not be complaining one bit about it, because, like Steam, we will be getting true convenience and benefit in trade, and like Steam the choice of if or when to use such services remains ours.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
timboo_drow said:
Let's not forget about the sheer variety PS4 showed as well. I keep hearing that people were more impressed with XB1's lineup but let's have a closer look shall we.

1.) A stealth game (sequel)
2.) A swordy slashy quicktime event game (God of War)
3.) A zombie game (if you put all the digital zombies created together you would have a literal apocalypse)
4.) A car enthusiast's masturbatory dream
5.) Halo
6.) Call of Duty (errr I mean BattleField)
7.) Call of Duty with Mechs
8.) A fighting game (complete with douchey immature trash talk)
well, for all that I care about, the games I want to play are mostly available on either system or exclusive to PS, and the PS4 is cheaper. So therefore I like the PS4. I don't know much about the xbox exclusives. By the same logic, people who are heavily invested in xbox exclusives will probably still buy the X1.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Deadcyde said:
MichaelMaverick said:
probably true, but they have been spanked pretty hard in the past for being dick holes. Maybe they've figured out they need to be jerks in small manageable doses instead of huge clusterfucks like the xbone and Diablo 3

wait... diablo 3 is coming to ps4 and it's an always online game right?

fucking son of a *****.
Blizzard said they're making an offline game mode for PS3/4 (if this doesn't come to pass, blame misinformation) but as of now that's what they've told.

Lord knows why they can't just give it to PC users too but I suppose Sony are a little more watchful over the ability to alter and hack games on their OS. But if that's a worry, then, kill it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'd equate this to a Slave Master promising not to use the whips today.
Just slavery? You don't want to go for a full Godwin here?

It's a little over the top to compare standard consumer practices to slavery, especially the most abusive practices (and practitioners) of slavery.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
timboo_drow said:
3.) A zombie game (if you put all the digital zombies created together you would have a literal apocalypse)
Technically, but not because of the zombies themselves so much as the black hole their concentrated mass would create.

Aglaophotis666

Nov 19, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Has anyone actually thought what will happen the generation after this? What happens if the XBone goes on to have an equal or better market share than the PS4? What does that tell these big companies and what does that mean for the next next gen?
I certainly have. I was actually just coming to suggest to Mr. Sterling that he should dedicate an episode of The Jimquisition to addressing the people who are still planning to buy an Xbox One because the used game/online check-ins etc. don't matter to them as they personally have no need for the used game market/have a good internet connection. Aside from the fact that people should have the social conscience to realize that there are many people who will be screwed over by these policies and should reconsider supporting a company that is willing to alienate the less fortunate, they should at least consider a future in which Microsoft is allowed to get away with what it's trying to do.

If the Xbox One manages to be successful (not necessarily "win" the console war but makes enough money off of it to continue releasing new consoles in the future) what's to stop them from trying to get away with a little bit more each time? To gradually but inevitably deprive consumers of ALL of their rights? Used games and internet connections may not matter to you personally right now, but if you don't stand up to Microsoft today to let them know they can't get away with all the crap they're pulling, what happens when they eventually take away something that you DO care about? Of course, when that happens, there will be no one left to stand beside you in YOUR protest because they will all have already been dominated by Microsoft's all-encompassing attack on basic human dignity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is capable of thinking long-term.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm sure that everything in the video has already been addressed many times over (and I see that the fanboy wars are already in full operation) but I wanted to say one thing about your closing statements, Jim.

Take away the game from game journalism and you've got a journalist. If we stop saying that game journalists are somehow different then regular journalists and hold them to the same standard -- which, albeit, is rather low for me right now -- then you're saying exactly what needs to be said and I expect no apologies. Sure, the Times or Atlantic may be a little more subtle about their approach yet while they're reporting news that affects everyday lives, you're reporting on news that affects consumers. Journalists are, by definition, reporting on news events that concern the common citizen. Game journalists report on events that affect the gaming consumer. Same thing? Maybe. Same principle? I'd say so.

My answer to anyone buying an Xbone is, and always will be, is "it's anti-consumer." Thank god for Jim.

(I'm also vehemently against the ideas, ie online phone home, that Microsoft has adopted. No matter how little I'm actually off the Internet, I don't want it. Period. If my principles fail me then I don't know what else I've got.)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Power to the people!
Jim, if Microsoft really have declared war, can we get a vid of you dressed as Winston Churchill giving a rousing speech about how much they suck?

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure its now perfectly clear that Microsoft's Xbox one is Xboned.

Its probably only going to sell a miniscule number of units, it has no game that will get units out of the store...

Basically... They are Screwed.

Next Gen seems to be all out competition between the original Grudge match, Nintendo VS Sony. One who betrayed the other...

Thing is... Nintendo is bound to succeed regardless, guaranteed victory by sheer virtue of owning half the good game series from the dawn of gaming, and they aren't above letting all of the other games come over to their side.

...On the other hand... Nintendo doesn't have a device powerful enough for some games so the PS4 is still going to have something to do.

But needless to say, with one giant slain... There's a crash in the making... The real question is whether it shakes the very foundations of the game industry, or if everyone pitches in to drag the slain carcass of the dead behemoth back to turn into food for the hungry masses.

...Probably the later...

So... I would like to Congratulate Nintendo and Sony for the spoils of war they will soon gain. As well as for saving us all the extra $500 it would cost to get three consoles instead of two.

Dec 16, 2009
thanatos388 said:
While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.
as pc/Steam fan, i think its great if they do, so long as it isnt on a closed platform

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Thank God for Jim.

As you said Jim. The problem is that Microsoft has declared war on the consumer. On me. Just for the crime of trying to use their product. That's not going to fly.

Sony may have done nothing. They may maintain the status quo. But this is one time that is a good thing. Doing nothing is better than making it worse. Often the best intentions have terrible consquences. Though, I don't even think Microsoft had good intentions.

Oh, check Amazon's Top games. Of the top 20, 4 of them are PS4 consoles or bundles. Only one is a XBone. Even going into the top 40, there are still no XBone consoles, though a PS4 Knack bundle shows up. And after that... It's all just PS3 and 360 stuff with some XBone and PS4 games showing up here and there. Now THAT is damning!

Dec 16, 2009
Trishbot said:
Though, I think the Wii U needs some love.
I wont touch a Nintendo product until their conflict mineral rating improves.
which is a shame because i really like the look of Mario Kart 8 (even with the stupid Nintendo control pads)

simwaroar5

Oct 16, 2011
{theultimateend} said:
Ok I'll bite.

What does the Xbox One provide me that my Gaming PC that does not?
better.
Okay now I would prefer and Nextbox over a PS4, but I am a PC gamer too. I wouldn't switch to consoles for a Nextbox, but I would get one because I play both my PC and a console. Now as for what makes it special. The family share list that it has allows you to share digital games with up to ten people. If you use Steam like me then you just don't have that option. If your PSN buddies live on the other side of the country it becomes inconvenient. Nextbox also has the primer Motion sensing and voice recognition tech. Now I know you either don't care about, or probably think the Kinect was rubbish. That was a little true last gen, but this up coming one is going to have vastly superior software/hardware for it to the point where it should be able to tell when you are squeezing your hand on the controller. Also for anyone that had a Kinect at the time, hoe cool was it to be able to yell "FUS RO DAH" to use shouts. It has its benefits. I am looking forward to the day it becomes the home Jarvis. though if you don't like it you can turn it off. One feature no one has talked about anywhere, but I read off their website was that the Nextbox will be able to track how you play your games, so when you are offline your friends can create a bot tailored to play just like you, to play with or against. Now I don't mean to come off as a complete dickwad, for supporting the Nextbox, but the way Jim has been railing against it for the past 3 weeks and everyone eating it up has been bugging the hell out of me. He makes a whole bunch of assumption and accusation about how they are trying to screw us over and never talks about the good points of the Nextbox, or any shortcomings the PS4 might have. I just want a fair and balanced argument.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Big_Isaac said:
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?
That they're absolutely right?

MichaelMaverick said:
How brave of you to make a prediction based on zero evidence that can't be tested for two whole years. You must be so knowledgeable to base this opinion on absolutely nothing and expect us to care.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Trishbot said:
Though, I think the Wii U needs some love.
I'll gladly give them some support when they stop relying on gimmicky controllers, drum up some third party support, change their "great first party lineup" to include something that isn't basically a remake of the same games they made almost twenty years ago, make an introductory model that isn't a crippled brick right out of the box, and sell a last generation console for what it's actually worth instead of almost the same price as a PS4.