Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
anthony87 said:
DTWolfwood said:
Could have mentioned the one downside to the whole thing, having to pay for multiplayer now.

Microsoft just straight up gave its customers the middle finger and ram its cock into their asses! Sony was kind enough to buy their customers dinner before just slipping in the tip :p
Even with that there's a couple of....silver linings? Yes you have to pay but PS+ is cheaper, gives you PS Store discounts and you get monthly free games.

Plus while it's needed to play online multiplayer that only counts for games you buy, you won't need a subscription to play any of the F2P games.
Look you don't have to justify it to me i know PS+ is a better deal. I've never played online games with my console so its not even an issue with me. PS4 is the superior product in all respect. Just in the name of fairness, it should have been noted. What once was free now isn't.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
This is exactly what I've been saying since the Sony E3 conference. They're being praised for not trying to shove barbed wire up our asses. They're heroes for doing absolutely nothing.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
That depends entirely on how many people are cool about what Microsoft is doing. You know why Sony now is ok with charging people with online gaming? Because Players are cool with it. They are thinking it's fine to pay extra fee for Microsoft just so that they can use some party chat and play online.

If players choose to buy Microsoft's console and they are ok with DRM they are ok with always online and such. I guess I can see Sony turning around. It really is upto what players want.

So if you don't want that to happen, buy something else than XboxOne. Because if Sony finds this strategy working, it WILL continue doing it. If they won't, people will abandon the ship for sure.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
I think the truth is far darker....

In what way is this "darker", this is business at work! This is seriously what is always happening behind the scenes, and if you don't believe me go read any articles on MTV vs Much Music(or VH1 before an aggresive buyout) or Disney channel vs. Nickelodeon.

Yes, businesses target other businesses, but how is that "evil". That is the competition, and if the competition does something that could be considered unintelligent, you don't politely inform them, you kick their feet out from under them. I don't support Capitalism, I think it's a draconic and sad state of affairs to let greed be a determinant of power. Once upon a time it was important to civilization that business have the chance to bloom, but it's gone far enough.

However, I UNDERSTAND it. This is standard business practice 101, and where as it's interesting, it's not anything new, different, or creepy. If Sony was putting brainwashing chemicals in the water, that would be evil, them attacking Microsoft to get the love of the people? Standard practice: Microsoft has indirectly attacked the playerbase, and Sony ran with that info and managed to throw a pie in Microsoft's face. It's almost exactly like politics, and there a politician can find a reason to attack another politician EVEN WHEN NO ONE HAS DONE ANYTHING WRONG!!!(Just look up all the idiots who think Obama messed up in the middle east by not supporting the good guys...WHAT GOOD GUYS! ARE WE IN A COMIC BOOK!?!?!?)

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
Shdwrnr said:
Mick P. said:
Shdwrnr said:
Does nobody remember the last time Sony promised a feature that people got really excited about? How are those Linux PS3's doing now anyway?
I installed Linux on mine. But it was a lot of work to switch between Linux and Xross. In Linux there were no hardware accelerated 3D graphics drivers. Last I checked that hadn't changed.

If anyone knows otherwise, please quote this so I will see your reply in the site's PM inbox.
The point was that OtherOS was a feature that Sony promised. They created it, they shipped it, then they changed their minds and stripped it out in a firmware update and started litigation on an enthusiest who showed people how to do it anyway. Sony has made promises of features in the past and thought nothing of tearing them away from you even post purchase. I don't see how people can trust their claims now after seeing what they think of their own promises.

hermes200 said:
MichaelMaverick said:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.
Perhaps, but so far we have no reason to believe so.
See above.
All this could be seen as an accident that Sony has spent much time righting. In fact, one of the reasons they obviously want to move to PS4 is all the MISTAKES on the PS3. Just so you know, the PS3 was my system last generation, and I'm probably going to wait for all THREE(because I'm honestly most impressed with the wiiu after playing it at my friends house, just Nintendo Land was a blast with hours of unlockables and very different gameplay from anything I've experienced. It's really not just another wii resort) until I see how the market goes, which I did with PS3, meaning I bought it when it was 300 for the best model, and they had fully paved out what they were offering.

All that said, the OtherOS option pissed me off too, but not as much as Microsoft's policy of charging me again for the internet I was already purchasing(something that may throw me off the PS4, but we'll see how they handle PS+ moving forward, if it still feels like being part of a cool club with free games and content, consider me all in.), so I got it anyway knowing it's primary purpose was going to be playing games.

Now, the REASON Sony made those decisions become obvious as you watch the shit storm that came after, the PS3 was a complicated system with holes all through it's infrastructure, and the company became very afraid of it being cracked and their industry secrets being destroyed. They made harsh decisions to protect, harsh decisions that are not easily forgiven for sure, but it's not the same situation at all.

After that generation Sony coming out and saying, "we don't want to attack our customers" is kind of them taking the first step in rectifying a long line of mistakes, and I can respect that. I don't think it's worth going to X-Bone(yeah, nice "NEXTBOX", real clever trying to give it a nice nickname) just because Sony made mistakes 5 years ago(longer probably but I ruled on the other side because I didn't want to look things up), I think these promises are the right move for Sony, and I'll probably wait a couple of years to see what is what.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
WWmelb said:
Questing as i've never hear it vocalized. Is the 1.5mb/s connection required for XBox One a megabit or megabyte connection?
People really need to learn how to use units properly.

M = Mega
m = Milli
B = Byte
b = Bit

1.5mb/s doesn't make any sense - who would measure something in thousandths of a bit? It should be 1.5Mb/s.

Similarly, one megabyte is 1MB, not 1mb.

The standard unit for network throughput is in bits per second, not bytes. So, when people are abusing their units with improper capitalization, it's probably best to assume that mbps or mb/s are referring to bits (or assume that the person improperly using these units doesn't know what they are talking about).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Big_Isaac said:
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?
If the Wii-U had more games in its Library, people wouldn't desperately hold onto anything that's good. Oh yes, I went there. I'm classy like that.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
MichaelMaverick said:
Possibly. Currently, my bathroom reading is an old OPM where Jack Tretton was claiming that the Cell would be easy to program for as long as you knew basic C/C+. As with many things about the PS3 that corporate was saying at launch, that turned out to be a lie. Then there are the other issues such as the whole credit card thing and Sony's marketing department being completely incompetent for both the PSP and the PS3 at the time of the PS3 launch.

But that doesn't matter. IF Sony pulls a 180, there will be time to rip them apart then Right now, while Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot to the point that it's hard to believe that Microsoft is not deliberately trying to sabotage itself, Sony has their act together. Their marketing is on track and they're taking note of what the market wants.

Maybe Sony will pull a 180. In fact, if the Wii U and the Xbone continue to flounder as badly as they are, it is not unreasonable to see the next-gen console race end up as a one-horse race. If that happens, Sony certainly will pull a 180.

But that's only a possible future. The present situation is that Sony is currently the best choice for the next-gen market and they're doing it through clever marketing and not screwing the customer over. Until there's any evidence of Sony pulling a 180, the applause is still somewhat justified.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I would go as far to say that it is doing something great by not giving into this greed, but your explanation is good too.

Love the ending, reminded me of Roger Waters in The Trial and you ended with a perfect fuck you.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Isn't it possible to use steam on the consoles? if valve bring game sharing to its steam program then the xbox one might just be the better choice (for me atleast). Now I don't own a console, and haven't owned one the last decade, but if steam add's game sharing (and if the xbox one can use steam) then I would probably be interested in buying one.

I hate having physical copies of my games, as the cd's always end up with a few scratches not to mention the number of a cd keys i've lost simply because I moved to a new home and the manual to the game somehow got lost or thrown away in the mess.

Mazimadu

Mar 15, 2010
Sofus said:
Isn't it possible to use steam on the consoles?
That is never going to happen. I recall Gabe Newell stating that MS tries to nickel and dime developers every time they try to add digital content to any of their games. Wither it be patches, DLC or updates. This is the reason why the orange box and Left4dead have no DLC updates. I also recall a similar thing for Fez when it was released.

Besides, Xbox live is already an online client. Why would MS allow a competitor service on its own device.

ugxwolf

May 31, 2013
MrHide-Patten said:
Big_Isaac said:
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?
If the Wii-U had more games in its Library, people wouldn't desperately hold onto anything that's good. Oh yes, I went there. I'm classy like that.
If other companies made games with even remotely as much replayability, I'd consider this a good argument. There's just one problem. They generally don't. Want proof? Go look at the yearly sales for any notable Wii game from the console's early days. Mario Kart Wii and Brawl are still selling well, 5-7 years after launch. That's because they're still good.

Besides your whole argument hinges on the idea that anyone /needs/ to buy a Wii U to play Nintendo games, or that Nintendo is even relying on the Wii U to make them money. Your whole argument falls apart, because all we have to do is occupy our time with the 3DS and whatever else we feel like playing until the Wii U has a good enough gaming library, which for me, is around the last three months of the year.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
ugxwolf said:
If other companies made games with even remotely as much replayability, I'd consider this a good argument. There's just one problem. They generally don't. Want proof? Go look at the yearly sales for any notable Wii game from the console's early days. Mario Kart Wii and Brawl are still selling well, 5-7 years after launch. That's because they're still good.

Besides your whole argument hinges on the idea that anyone /needs/ to buy a Wii U to play Nintendo games, or that Nintendo is even relying on the Wii U to make them money. Your whole argument falls apart, because all we have to do is occupy our time with the 3DS and whatever else we feel like playing until the Wii U has a good enough gaming library, which for me, is around the last three months of the year.
Besides the fact I was being hyperbolic, if I was a retailer and some family bought a really cheap console (the Wii) the selection of games I would recommend them would be rather slim, only an asshole would push shovel ware (which the Wii has in droves). So yeah of course those games still sell, fuck any game still sells well that had a positive reception.

I'm not getting the Wii-U personally because there's nothing there that makes me jump out of my seat to buy it. It also suffers from having a gimmick that's harder to market than the Wii's motion controls, and the whole tablet market has been dominated by Apple and Android devices. I don't see the lightning striking twice, and whilst their initiative to get more 3rd party dev's interested is good, it's undone by the PS4 and Xbox 1 being vastly more powerful than it, leaving it on the same position the Wii was in.

If the system came out with a genuine Mario game (like 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy), Legend of Zelda, or a Metroid game. People would be really jumping onto it. I bought the Wii because I thought Twilight Princess looked cool, and Metroid Prime 3 is one of my favorite games from this gen. So I'm not railing against Nintendo here out of spite or something, just walking by a restaurant that's serving breakfast at lunch.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
It's funny because realistically Sony had no other option than doing nothing. The most you can be thankful for is that they're not equally as retarded as Microsoft. I don't begrudge them their dressing it up as an act of kindness they went out of their way to do, but everyone who ate that PR bullshit up is shallow and should probably explode themselves.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Bit late in posting due to being away but all of this just makes me pleased for us as gamers. Microsoft was damning us and Sony kept the faith. Gave the standard we expected and the hope that this'll all be ok and we'll be treated resonably. They didn't do much but in a way they did a lot.

Bujiraso

Feb 12, 2011
Amen Jim.
Microsoft is indeed against the consumer.
Or perhaps, more accurately, *for* corporations. Which nearly always falls against the consumer.