Jimquisition: Revivify The Cold Vitae

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Would like to get the Vita for the Atelier games, but the memory sticks are too expensive and Sony keeps dropping the ball on classic PS1 games.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
You have to wonder why Sony even bothered with the PS Vita. It started as a 'portable PS3' and now it's more an add-on for the PS4 but only works well if you can find a decent connection to the console you had to leave on in order to utilise the feature (which I still see as pointless as I'd rather play a PS4 game on a TV with a PS4 controller, rather then a small screen with fewer buttons).

As for your point that you should criticise something you love, I've always felt you can't truly love something unless you've acknowledged all it's faults. City of Heroes (which would be 10 years old now if it hadn't been shut down) is one of my all times favourite games yet I could see it's missions were ultimately repetitive (either being 'find the thing' or 'kill one of or all the things') and while the instanced missions prevented fighting with other players over objectives in the game world, it also made the world feel a bit empty at times. Brilliant writing and easy to put together 8 man teams helped alleviate that (especially seeing all the different costumes and builds), mind.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
How are people watching the video? I've tried firefox, IE, and even Google Chrome and none of them are playing anything except the escapist promotional video. I'm assuming it's supposed to start the video after playing the promotion, but it just keeps repeating the promotional video. It's the same with all the other videos I've tried looking at on the site. =(

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Euurgh, those memory cards. Right now, the choice with the Vita is to either shell out $80 for a memory card that can hold more than 4 downloaded games on it, or rely on boxed copies that hardly any retailers are actually selling. I like the Vita and I'd love to play more stuff on it, but right now the 3DS is just doing everything it does so much better.

Also, thank god for Jim for bringing my attention to the PSOne classics situation. This is making me glad I didn't waste money on those when I was still considering it. It's a shame too, I really wanted to play Crash and Spyro again.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The system is very solid I agree, it's got great games and a second analog stick which makes it infinitely more open to games allowing for 100% better controls.
But yeah the major problem is they charge the same price or more for digital releases and then have the gall to charge that much for memory cards, I only got the 16GB card because of a big amazon sale but even still compared to comparable portable media formats it's a joke.

This isn't so much SONY's fault here but a lot of the PSP games are flat out overpriced, they've never been changed and some are near the original new price which is mental since you can get the physical game for PSP for cheaper and more than likely a PSP and some other games for cheaper in the long run. Soul Calibur is 25 bucks last I checked, that's insane!

The PSOne classics thing is really confusing as well since as stated in the vid, some games just never got ported over, and recently Crash 1 was boldly plastered on the PSN on my PS3 "Play it now on your Vita!" I check on my vita, not there. I don't know what they're doing but they need to try.

I really REALLY like the Vita for how it feels in the hand and its performance, I don't regret my (ebay) purchase in the least, but I would like to see them manage these prices and game lists better. There's a nice library in indie, vita, PSN, PSOne games but just some pushing from them could make the damn thing more expansive than it is.

Biggest issue: People mock the Vita for lack of games, which isn't true ,but it is at the same time. There's plenty of games, but the few stores I look at they only have a handful of the library, just a tiny bit of shelf and that's it. I've not once seen Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2, Soul Sacrifice is a rare find and even the great Persona 4 only here and there.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Wait... Did I understand that right?

Suikoden II was released for an hour?

Does that mean I could have it... but they aren't for some reason?

What the hell?

Shayman

Mar 6, 2014
This was a refreshingly light, thought provoking Jimquisition today, IMHO. Usually the Jimquisition gets me all riled up and angry at the state of the games industry. And that outro - so much sass. Another great episode Jim.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Jim didn't mention two very important points which I think he should have, and while I agree that vita would be better if it had that content (and I wish I knew the thing was temporary so I could of grabbed a few more games) these two points should have been mentioned.

1. Because of how ridicules copy right law is, it isn't possible for Sony to get every psp/psone game on vita regardless of how hard/smart they try, now if they had the foresight to include a "can release on new system as part of BC under same agreement" clause in the original contracts things would go a hell of alot smoother (frankly I'm not oppose the idea of just releasing the content without permission and force the owners to come to an agreement inside or outside of court either but just get the stuff on vita and deal with the legal aftermath later) but at the end of the day if Sony is going to obey the law copyright is a massive issue, that isn't their fault and I do believe they are legitimately trying to get more games on vita, maybe not as hard as they could/should or maybe there's more of a challenge then we know but either way this brings me to my next point.

2. As far as bringing indie games/digital BC games to a console Sony and particularly vita IS DOING THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY. This is a point which I find ridicules that Jim didn't mention. Look at wiiU, Xbone, 360, 3DS and look at vita, vita has the most BC games playable and buyable on them (which is ridicules considering how easy Nintendo older system are to emulate, how many more systems Nintendo has to emulate and that Nintendo owns rights to a good chunk of older games people want) as well as being the system most geared towards indie developers. 3DS and wiiU's VC is a freaking bad joke and Nintendo has less work then Sony in terms of getting the games people want playable on it... wiiU doesn't even have all of wii VC games ffs...

So yeah well I agree vita would be more awesome if Sony did better I have something against attacking the best there is and calling it pathetic without even mentioning that they are best we have especially.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
mike1921 said:
GonzoGamer said:
eBusiness said:
I was seriously getting convinced that I should buy a Vita during the few seconds between being told that a bunch of PS1 titles were released for free and being told that the "bug" has been fixed.

I guess I should have recognised that that was too good to be true.
I know.
It's like the big ps4 announcement: I was all ready to preorder one (if only for their smart ass attitude towards ms)then they say you'll need to subscribe to plus to play online. So I'm taking a break from consoles.
Out of curiosity, what online games were you planning to play on PS4? Like, when I look at exciting games coming out for next-gen (which I will continue to call next gen at least until price cuts and libraries make them decent purchases) I just see single player on console, the new Infamous the new Final Fantasy the new Kingdom hearts, if you don't have a gaming PC than watch dogs and the yearly AC.

Not trying to sound insulting, I honestly just don't get what multiplayer games would be a deciding factor in a PS4 pre-order
Because now a days, maybe not with jrpgs but with a lot of the games coming out, over half the content is online multiplayer. Hell the next gen already has a game that is all online multiplayer. Funny thing is, the single player games I like, I prefer playing on the pc.
I just think it's kind of shitty of them to phase out local multiplayer for online multiplayer in the first place; then to charge for online multiplayer in the next gen, That's insulting. Not asking what next gen games I would want because frankly, atm, there aren't any. The game I'm most looking forward to is the new Borderlands.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
if a large chunk of the PS1 library, and some titles ported from the PS2 became available for the vita, i would buy one. as it stands i really can't justify spending all that money on a new system and not have a big library...

now if only steam released a handheld system...

doomed89

May 5, 2009
suitepee7 said:
if a large chunk of the PS1 library, and some titles ported from the PS2 became available for the vita, i would buy one. as it stands i really can't justify spending all that money on a new system and not have a big library...

now if only steam released a handheld system...
Go through a list of all ps1 games, take the ones you would buy on vita then compare the list of ones you want to which ones are playable (not buyable, playable, you can find a friend with ps3 if you have to) on vita, it will be more then you think. Vita has more games then anyone thinks they just discount it because of low sales without even realizing that's why.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
May I ask a question about something that's confused me for a while:

A lot of times when Jim says "But" or "However," he'll illustrate that with a picture of a shrimp. I feel like I should understand this by now...but I don't. What does the shrimp signify?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know this does beg a question.

Where are these games on the PSOne section?
Breath of Fire 3
Brave Fencer Musashi
Suikoden 2
Legend of Legaia

Not gonna lie. The PSOne has one of the best JRPG libraries of any system, ever. No, just ever. Not just Final Fantasy, but other games like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2. Don't forget Star Ocean: The Second Story while we're at it.

Seriously there are a ton of them. Why are they not on the PSOne Classics? Suikoden is on there. While it's a great game, you can transfer data from it to the sequel for all kinds of things, including using the original hero in your battle party. Why is Suikoden 2 not on the store? It's practically begging to be on it!

They even made a PSP version of Breath of Fire 3. It should be available for download off the store.

I really don't see why so many of them aren't available in Europe that are available in North America. For that matter, you can get Brave Fencer Musashi in Japan, but that's it. There was an English version made. I own a copy. Why not make it available?

So many good games...
T.T

Thank God for Jim.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Saltyk said:
You know this does beg a question.

Where are these games on the PSOne section?
Breath of Fire 3
Brave Fencer Musashi
Suikoden 2
Legend of Legaia

Not gonna lie. The PSOne has one of the best JRPG libraries of any system, ever. No, just ever. Not just Final Fantasy, but other games like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2. Don't forget Star Ocean: The Second Story while we're at it.

Seriously there are a ton of them. Why are they not on the PSOne Classics? Suikoden is on there. While it's a great game, you can transfer data from it to the sequel for all kinds of things, including using the original hero in your battle party. Why is Suikoden 2 not on the store? It's practically begging to be on it!

They even made a PSP version of Breath of Fire 3. It should be available for download off the store.

I really don't see why so many of them aren't available in Europe that are available in North America. For that matter, you can get Brave Fencer Musashi in Japan, but that's it. There was an English version made. I own a copy. Why not make it available?

So many good games...
T.T

Thank God for Jim.
Copy right law/licensing issues and the other company being unwilling to accept a fair deal is the only reasonable explanation. Sony did do a lot of legwork as far as licensing goes for BC games more then any other company by far, they put in effort to the get the games that are on vita on vita (and ps3 for that matter) but at the end of the day it's not up to them which is something most people here need to realize.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
No.

Why should we waste our time playing PS1 and PS2 classics when there is a handful of forgettable new releases for the Vita that we should be playing instead?

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Y'know what, while I sympathise with the idea that you should be able to play old PS1 and PSP games on your PS Vita - I don't have a Vita. (No plans.) When will I be able to play "Silent Hill 2" and "Shadow of the Colossus" on my PC?

(That's a rhetorical question by the way. The answer is presumably "when Mordraeth extinguishes the sun.")

But seriously... I keep reading reviews of really great-sounding games, then checking the format and realising "Wait, it's PS Vita only. Never mind." Wish some of these would be ported to PC at some point. Sony sure as heck ain't making much headway in selling the Vitas right now.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I bought a vita the week it came out. A little preemptive as I didn't have much for it but damn it, I've always wanted a handheld with 2 sticks. I certainly don't regret buying it, but all Jim's criticisms ring true. Sony just isn't focusing on it. Android game consoles are becoming a thing and once Google's Ara phones become a thing, we won't have to wait for someone to make a good phone with a built in gamepad and the vita will lose some appeal. The only thing that really needs to happen is for someone to make a good store for selling full blown games so people don't have to filter though the garbage on the Play Store and App Store

CaptainBill22 said:
Come on Sony, I'd love to own one of your consoles again but you have to pull it together. Even the Nintendo 3DS uses regular SD cards. There is no reason to use a proprietary card for the Vita.
Its because of hacking and piracy. Its makes it harder when people can't just pop the memory cards into a pc. Which is ironic because hackablity would actually give the vita some selling power. The psp is trivial to hack, just put a file in your GAME folder, open it on the psp, and you're good to play homebrews and emulators. If the psvita could emulate gba, snes, and N64 games, modders would be all over it and average consumers would at least have one more reason to buy it

Almechazel

Jul 6, 2010
I like my Vita. Really, I do. But frankly, it just doesn't get used that often. Its sad, really. I think I'd use it a lot more if just one feature could be implemented... PS4 streaming. Not PS4 to Vita, we've already got that, but Vita to PS4. If I could play Persona 4 Golden, Breath of Fire, Legend of Heroes, or the fifteen other JRPGs just sitting on my Vita on the TV screen, the system'd get a whole heck of a lot more use, this I can promise.

Now, if anyone can explain to me why this can't seem to be implemented, I'll give you a cookie (and no, the answer isn't 'because then why would you buy a VitaTV', since they don't seem to want that money enough to release it outside of Japan).