Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I have been looking forward to this particular topic from you Jim and you never disappoint!

Thank God for you indeed!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Since we have another advertised Tomb Raider game coming out, let's definitely not pretend this is the only way Rise was getting made.

Also, corporations are supposed to make money. This is true. We're supposed to want stuff for the money. We're supposed to care about our own desires.

It's always been such a stupid argument. Why should I think about it from or care about their side? They want my money. They should damn well earn it.

However, I will gladly put myself in Jim's hands.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Silentpony said:
Well here's my question: If Tomb Raider, or hell, ANY game is sold on preorder as 'exclusive', and then later released for another system, shouldn't Microsoft or Sony(whichever you bought from) refund the difference? If I bought TitanFall on preorder form $80, operating under the idea its an Xbone exclusive, then 6 months later it comes out for Steam at $50, shouldn't I get my $30 'exclusive' service fee back?!

Also Jim, two things: Stop predicting bad things mate! And second, at this point why not just thank yourself for you? Its fairly clear you're approaching godhood. Might as well get that cult started...
It was pretty clear that Titanfall was released on Pc too. It released on Pc the same day as the xbox version, not 6 months later, so that you thought that it was an xbone exclusive was a bit you fault.
Then again they always spoke of Titanfall as THE XBOX EXCLUSIVE ... on consoles
in the hope that people fall for it and think it's really exclusive to xbone.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I have a solution for the current state of exclusivity: If a publisher excludes you with their wallets, exclude them from yours.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DataSnake said:
Or what if DVDs worked that way? "Want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy? Your DVD player better be manufactured by Sony, it won't work on competitors' players!"
They would if they could. I'd also note that you've had content exclusive to certain retailers dating back to before Gamestop was a megalithic corporation.

Or what if auto manufacturers started abusing the adopt-a-highway program and only let people driving their brand of cars drive on "their" roads?
That would be far worse, but auto manufacturers already have parts in place that either you deal through them or features are locked out (such as with your audio devices).

Or, what if Apple made a deal with Pizza Hut that says you can only order delivery if you call on an iPhone? Somehow, I don't think that would go over very well.
I'd love to see the backlash.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
O was very eega to see Jim's take on this. After watching RTU and Boogie2988 make videos about this I was interested to hear Jim's side. I'm a PC gamer myself and don't really care for Tomb Raider but I thought this was a great video for putting into context just about everything wrong with exclusivity.

Microsoft has always been about buying out the competition instead of competing themselves but it's good to see their not getting away with it like they used to.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
this was the first I'd heard of the RE reboot.

Wasn't six also billed as a reboot initially?

I'll believe it when it comes out.

-edit-

Seems I was confused, just googled it and they're remaking the gamecube remake not rebooting the series, nvm then.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
ErwinGodfrey said:
Pretty shitty deal here, reminds me of Bethesda holding back it's PS3 releases for it's Fallout and Elder Scrolls expansions at the behest of Microsoft. At least this'll come out latter on PC, maybe? Then you can hook up a PlayStation controller and pretend you're playing it on that console.
This wasn't held back for Exclusive reasons it was held back because the PS3 Didn't work well with Bethesda's poor coding. See dragons flying backward on Ps3's skyrim launch or mod managers for the PC versions coming up with scripting errors and poor scripting warnings on "The base game"

Anyway I can't think of any Triple A title that was long running that would go "Exclusive" My thoughts say this is probably going to be just a rushed together job using basically all the same assets and stuff as the last game.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
This exclusivity wars thing is why I'm mostly sticking with Nintendo as of late. At least for them there is a good honest reason, like the Bayonetta 2 one Jim mentions, why their games are exclusive. The only other games I have bought for a non-Nintendo platform are PC only or JRPGs for the PS3 or Vita.

Pops16

Nov 4, 2012
After being an avid video game enthusiast all my life, I'm now almost disinterested with actually playing the games they put out now, all for the reasons Jim shines a light on. Carving up content/dlc/lack of support...It may not be the death of an industry, but it essentially is over for me. 10 years ago I would have lined up day one to get either of these new consoles. Now, when I have the money to spend, I don't even care to do so. The industry is focused and preoccupied with the wrong things. Making enjoyable experiences is secondary.
Depressing.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well I'm convinced.

*Begins carving stone statue of Jim*

All hail the prophet!!!!
And thus, the Church of Sterlingology was born.

The thing about the whole Tomb Raider thing that gets me is that even though I liked the Tomb Raider reboot, one of my favourite games of last year. It doesn't scream "system seller" to me. A system seller to me is Zelda or Uncharted. Even if this was not a timed exclusive and it was stuck on the Xbone then I would think "that's a shame" and get on with my life. It would not make me want to buy a Xbox 1 and I'm sure that there are many many people out there that feel the same way as me.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
this was the first I'd heard of the RE reboot.

Wasn't six also billed as a reboot initially?

I'll believe it when it comes out.
it's not a reboot it's an upscaled version of resident evil 1 that was released on the Gamecube way back when, which means hopefully they'll also port the awesome awesomness that is Resident evil Zero

OT:
It's amazing how corporate money always seems to speak louder than customer money, I'll not pretend I was going to buy Rise of the tomb raider at launch but I probably would have picked it up eventually. would have, not now, not unless it comes with an exclusive day with one Jim Sterling.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The game is being released on the Xbox at the same time as Uncharted 4 so for it to be on the PS4 at that time may not be the smartest thing even if the game is ready so I guess Square Enix getting some money out of this on top of selling the game to the people that cant play the direct competition, to then release it to the players that can play Uncharted when they got tired of it as a new thing may not be all that bad, at least not for Square Enix

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
I cannot control the visions that come to me. Such is my blessing, and my curse.
So what do you say to someone who asks if you are a god? Ghostbusters has something to say about that.
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well I'm convinced.

*Begins carving stone statue of Jim*

All hail the prophet!!!!
Sorry man, Jim is not the decider, he is but the messenger.

Zombie Badger said:
Is it just me or does it look like Enix is modelling Lara off of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?
Well, she doesn't have an abundance of body piercings or tattoos, but she definitely has the whole "psychologically damaged trauma victim" thing down. If this new series isn't a prequel to the old games, but an all-out "forget everything that came before" reboot, it feels like a step backwards for Lara.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Timed Exclusive stuff is a incredibly stupid practice:
A. It confuses and divides the fans of the game.
B. It confuses casual consumers.
C. It's a waste of money for the company looking to "add" value. (If Microsoft wanted to actually give value they would put a let's say, Halo or Gears of War related content)
D. After the PS4 version is released there's no advantage to have the Xbox One. Unless the Ps4 version runs or looks like shit.

I could maybe understand the timed exclusive for this game their Xbox One release date coincides with the new Uncharted and they want to compete with that game. Still maybe they should push it back so they can hit with both versions after the Uncharted Hype dies down and people are itching for a similar game.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Evonisia said:
If Jim keeps making these predictions I'm pretty sure every big publisher is going to explode into burning money come year's end.
It won't just be the publishers. If Jim is as spot-on as he was last week, then we can expect to see the following announcement from Microsoft within the hour:

"Playstation 4 will be exclusive to Xbox One this December"

Can you imagine? o_O

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
The other thing that makes Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity even more perplexing is what SE thought of the first game's performance. Despite the fact that it was both a critical and financial success, Square deemed it a failure, not living up their "projections." You know the projections, the ones that St. Sterling railed on about when success is less, "Hey, we made some fucking money!" and more, "Fuck, we didn't sell a bajillion and eleventy copies! FUCK!"

So why then, if the last game failed to meet expectations, would they ink this deal? The money, obviously. But when the PS4 is outselling the Xbone, it makes more sense to hedge your bets, secure customer satisfaction, and release it for both. Squeenix isn't hurting for cash anymore, either. FFXIV is seeing to that.