Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Microsoft has just been stepping on mines all week. The backlash on this was so great it basically got Phil Spencer to break the confidentiality arrangement with Square and reveal it was a limited exclusive after several agents of Microsoft and the developers of Tomb Raider repeatedly said it was fully exclusive.

You think Square is happy about Spencer doing that? You think they're happy about now having to announce the existence of other versions and release dates for the other platforms far earlier than they wanted to? You think they're happy about the sales of the Xbox versions being even lower than they would have been since some people are just going to wait now?

Microsoft is just one PR disaster after another.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sanunes said:
I do win a little bit when it comes to these "exclusives" I lose any interest in the game and eventually pick it up when the price has fallen or Steam puts the game on sale.
That and xbone owners beta testing the game are the only good points for timed exclusivity for the overwhelming majority of us.

I doubt the new Tomb Raider will reach anywhere near the numbers of its predecessor (which got itself released on at least 5 different platforms) but the exclusive deal will drive sales down even lower.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
This is all the more reason the triple A industry is heading for a crash. It may work in the short term (which is all that matters to them) but in the long term it will only alienate customers, and with cheaper, older titles available at GOG and Steam, and the middle tear and indi games, the alternatives to triple A titles are numerous. True that only a small audience actually knows of these alternatives right now but as time goes on more will learn of them. The economy is still shit and many people don't have money to 60 bucks on a game let alone buying more than one copy to get the whole game.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
PunkRex said:
Will you be wanting warm goose fat for that wank sire or should I make some gravy?

OT: Still just enjoying my 3DS over here, you guys and gals are welcome to join me.
lol. I think this is going to end up being a lot of people over the next two years. While the devil's duke it out and the peasants try to take cover a bunch of us will just be sitting in our own little space enjoying our 3DS' and Wii U's while the rest of the world burns.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
Thanatos2k said:
Microsoft has just been stepping on mines all week. The backlash on this was so great it basically got Phil Spencer to break the confidentiality arrangement with Square and reveal it was a limited exclusive after several agents of Microsoft and the developers of Tomb Raider repeatedly said it was fully exclusive.

You think Square is happy about Spencer doing that? You think they're happy about now having to announce the existence of other versions and release dates for the other platforms far earlier than they wanted to? You think they're happy about the sales of the Xbox versions being even lower than they would have been since some people are just going to wait now?

Microsoft is just one PR disaster after another.
Microsoft desperately needs new management. The people in charge of Microsoft don't know what they are doing, they've been stepping in land mines sense Windows 8 and they just keep walking through the mine field.This is what happens when the people running the companies do not understand the products are the customers.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Ben's original article makes several very valid points. Key is that without the Microsoft cash influx into this game, it would most likely not exist at all. Unfortunately we're likely to never get the full story, because "We don't have faith in this game by itself" and "We needed outside funding to pull it off" are terrible things for a marketing team to say. If this industry only had more transparency, I don't think we'd be complaining about it. (nearly as much)

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
I just dug out of storage my N64, my GameCube, and bought an xbox for super cheap from a friend. I've been having more fun with my old games than I can possibly imagine having trying to wade through all the bullshit right now.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
In general I don't like exclusives at all. I don't mind timed exclusives as much, but do they REALLY need to have them?

There are those who will NEVER buy the console these exclusives are on. A PS4 player may never buy an XB1, but I'm sure they might buy games that would otherwise be exclusives. Same goes for the reverse... How many Xbox (360 or 1) players that wouldn't but a PS3/4 WOULD buy say... The Last of Us.

I'm a PC player and I wish I could buy Journey. I played it on a friend's PS3, start to finish and I'd still buy it right now if I could.

But I'm sure that someone will point out that "exclusives sell the console" and I suppose they are right. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Ah, the Tomb Raider exclusivity controversy. Had a feeling this would pop up. Maybe it's because I'm pretty new to this gaming thing, but I feel kind of more impressed than annoyed that someone would actually do that. I saw the Microsoft Gamescom thing, and they stated that Tomb Raider was gonna be an Xbone exclusive without a word about what exclusive actually meant in this regard. Not a single word! That's really dishonest and misleading, bordering very close to outright lying to their audience. But they did it anyway!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
My issue as an Xbox owner is, yeah, Microsoft game me squat. I get no benefit from this. They didn't pay to make my experience better; they paid so everyone else would have a lesser experience.

This is much more frustrating when they openly said "we don't have our own action adventure game to compete with Uncharted" in justifying the move... so, rather than create one, they just decided to buy it.

This painted them as bullies holding something a majority of Tomb Raider players wanted for ransom and, rather than make people want an Xbox One, made them just hate the company for using their money to get between them and their gaming hobby.

And Xbox owners, I've seen, are upset because Microsoft has all these deep pockets and squandered them on this deal, rather than investing in one of their many struggling studios or properties. It's not like they don't OWN a library of some of the greatest adventure games of all time after they bought RARE. But, no, let's NOT make a new Conker, or Banjo-Kazooie, or Perfect Dark, or Battletoads, or Jet Force Gemini, or even Blast Corp or Kameo...

For perspective, Microsoft spent over $400 million securing the rights to an NFL app for Xbox... the same amount Rockstar and 2K Games spent creating Grand Theft Auto V. Let that sink in.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
Ben's original article makes several very valid points. Key is that without the Microsoft cash influx into this game, it would most likely not exist at all. Unfortunately we're likely to never get the full story, because "We don't have faith in this game by itself" and "We needed outside funding to pull it off" are terrible things for a marketing team to say. If this industry only had more transparency, I don't think we'd be complaining about it. (nearly as much)
Square Enix announced a sequel to this game AGES ago. It was always going to happen. In fact, according to Square Enix's financial reports, Tomb Raider is one of their most profitable and successful games this ENTIRE console generation, and has surpassed nearly 7 million in sales. A sequel was never in question. Square Enix was just being stupid when they said it was "disappointing" their estimates after one single solitary month (of selling 3 million copies), because they didn't think the game would have the legs it did to keep selling. They were wrong and the game was one of the brightest feathers in their cap (especially compared to how much money Final Fantasy XIV's launch, lackluster FF13 sequels, and other disasters cost them).

Square Enix isn't some poor indie studio hurting for money. The series has always thrived on Playstation and PC, more so than Xbox. The PS4 version outsold the Xbox One version nearly two-to-one, and now the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One itself 3-to-1. If Square Enix was disappointed in Tomb Raider's sales at first, needing over 5 million to be profitable, there aren't even 5 million Xbox Ones in people's homes yet globally. They cut off PC as well, with over 65 million Steam users as potential buyers. PS4 just crossed 10 million sold to customers, tracking to be nearly 30 million by Holiday 2015 when this game ships.

I have no idea how much money Xbox gave them, but I simply don't see how locking off 80% of your audience is a financially sound investment. Worse, the PR hit does damage that money simply can't buy back. Microsoft came across as bullies and Square Enix looked like they were willing to screw over their most hardcore, loyal, and supportive fans in favor of a quick buck.

I don't think it was worth it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!
He's a pundit. His ego is supposed to be catastrophic in size.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Jim, i think they are listening. Start predicting more fun stuff like a Soul Reaver 3, Kotor3 or news on the new Fallout? Never know, we might get some great gaming news.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
I just hope he takes his gloves off after the videos, otherwise... Yeowchers. That's got to chafe.
... What, comments on the vid? Sorry, the tactical TMI scarred me a bit.
It's a sad state of affairs, this industry. And one of these days, the customer base will turn around, say "No. Fuck you, I'm not falling for it again" & we'll have an industry crash. If only those in the positions of influence, just... I dunno, in words of Adam Hills, "Stop been Dicks", it'd probably be fine in a couple years.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I lost a fair measure of respect for Kuchera when he wrote this. There's reporting cold realities, and then there's just not being on the public's side; I don't think the big boys really deserve a journalist doing their "Surrender Dorothy" schtick for them.

(And, y'know, he was just flat-out wrong on that account, so there's that.)

As to the big issue: yeah, losing the next TR temporarily kind of sucks, but then, I never bought the original until it became available in one of those to-the-bones Steam sales; waiting six months or more isn't really an issue for me. As far as exclusives go, I'm far more interested in No Man's Sky, which remains particular to the PC and PS4 last I checked.

Obviously, this is my personal opinion and your mileage may vary, but the games I buy on or near their release dates these days are few and far between. A game pretty much has to be something I feel a need to individually support to get my money early; it has to be bringing something to the field that I feel a need to encourage, that I think we need to see more of in the medium. Day-one DLC? Pffft. It will probably be available in the GOTY edition, or for $0.99 well after the critics have weighed in on whether it's actually worth the trouble.

The Tomb Raiders of the world seem like they'll do just fine without me, and if they don't, well, I guess that's our turn to snidely reply "business is business".

Triality

May 9, 2011
This industry cannot survive in its current form any longer.

Videogames as a medium MUST become "all conole/pc" supporting. Just like how we could by a phillips or a sony bluray player to play blu rays, videogames MUST stop being about these imaginary boundaries that exist with the current and past consoles. Like that saying: Past performance is no indicator of future results. These industry execs are willfully ignoring the writing on the wall, and the great tragedy in this is that the developers in the middle are going to suffer the most from market corrections.

The games industry needs to free the game development platform!

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, this goes for all three of you. Virtualization is completely possible with your current over-glorified PC imitation boxes. You need to surrender your development kits, make a task force, and unify all game software supportable across all platforms. Then let the consumer decide if they want to play their all-platform supporting games on a Sony device, a microsoft device, or a Nintendo device. You could still sell your hardware, but you'd be freed of the need to market and bargain for temporary exclusives any longer, because all systems would support the game!

THIS needs to happen if this industry is going to stabilize. I just hope I see this happen in my lifetime.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Reminds me a bit with the whole waffling about Bungie's made about the PC version of Destiny, never really committing to it either way.

Actually, it really does remind me of the whole Halo 1 debacle for those who were old fans of the company and had bought their games on floppies in the day. Halo announced at MacWorld as a PC/Mac game. Yay! Bungie bought out by Microsoft. Boo, but no reason why it couldn't still come out on either. Halo re-announced as a XBox exclusive? Double-boo. Two years pass, and Gearbox/MacSoft finally get the computer versions out. Yay? Halo 2 comes out a year later, XBox-exclusive again. Boo. Three years pass, and Halo 2 comes out on the computer but requires Vista. ALL THE BOOS.

And then the long drought happens. Bungie finally gets out of Microsoft's thumb, and you'd think they would want to get their games on everything after being exclusive for so long. And then Destiny's announced, but they're doing a similar thing to the TR news and won't actually say if it's a thing that's actually coming even though earlier builds of the game were demoed on a computer and they've said all the tools and engine they've been using is pretty cross-platform so it wouldn't be a huge effort to do it...

The moneyhat twists and corrupts the hearts and souls of mortal men.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
One point Jim didn't touch upon, when Sony or Microsoft simply buy some form of exclusive access, where do you think the money comes from for them to make these 'purchases' in the first place?

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Oh, wait, is "rise of" a pun on Rise of the Tomb Raider? Damn, I was all set to talk about how exclusivity is not a new thing. It is a bad thing for gamers, but not a new one.

EDIT: Oh, also, I like a lot of Ben Kuchera's writings about video games but he has always been something of an industry cheerleader. Remember how positive he was on the Xbox always online news and wrote that no matter how big a stink gamers made Microsoft wouldn't change it, implying we shouldn't even try?