Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Jim, please predict something nice and awesome in the near future. We need it. I mean, the big industry players have been trying to bend us over backwards for a while now, please predict some kind of a force-feedback that will burn their house down! With the lemons!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
See, I do wish more companies took the approach Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. Take a game in an odd situation and fund it. You know... actually be a publisher and publish something. Sure, it won't be as big or as glamorous as securing the new Tomb Raider game for a few months, but I'm sure it'd make headlines if someone decided to fund Psychonauts 2...
Definitely agree with this...and Nintendo/Platinum even went the extra mile to bring the original Bayonetta with some extra content to the Wii U as an added extra if you buy Bayonetta 2. Really wish butt hurt Xbone/PS4 owners would stop complaining about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive (they probably know the reason it's exclusive but I think they just don't want to accept it)...

*cough cough* Nintendo please help fund Psychonauts 2 and make it exclusive to Wii U *cough cough* Also please buy capcom and save Mega Man *cough cough cough cough*

doomed89

May 5, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
Mr. Omega said:
See, I do wish more companies took the approach Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. Take a game in an odd situation and fund it. You know... actually be a publisher and publish something. Sure, it won't be as big or as glamorous as securing the new Tomb Raider game for a few months, but I'm sure it'd make headlines if someone decided to fund Psychonauts 2...
Definitely agree with this...and Nintendo/Platinum even went the extra mile to bring the original Bayonetta with some extra content to the Wii U as an added extra if you buy Bayonetta 2. Really wish butt hurt Xbone/PS4 owners would stop complaining about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive (they probably know the reason it's exclusive but I think they just don't want to accept it)...

*cough cough* Nintendo please help fund Psychonauts 2 and make it exclusive to Wii U *cough cough* Also please buy capcom and save Mega Man *cough cough cough cough*
I like Nintendo's current policies but they've already lost this gen. The WiiU's hardware is crap, it's literally in the same league as ps3/360 and their online is miles behind both those devices as well, the tablet was just stupid and hurts gameplay(granted not as much as wii). And with the industry the way it is they'll blame lack of success of their good policies and not the fact their online and console are complete crap.

It really is a shame we need some freaking decent competition not this race to bottom bs.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Mr. Omega said:

I like Nintendo's current policies but they've already lost this gen. The WiiU's hardware is crap, it's literally in the same league as ps3/360 and their online is miles behind both those devices as well, the tablet was just stupid and hurts gameplay(granted not as much as wii). And with the industry the way it is they'll blame lack of success of their good policies and not the fact their online and console are complete crap.

It really is a shame we need some freaking decent competition not this race to bottom bs.
I like how the talk of exclusivity turned into another "Screw Nintendo and it's crap" comment...

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I wonder what Jim's opinions are towards Warlords of Draenor, with the half-year delay, the continual cuts and delays, and the price increase too.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Mr. Omega said:

I like how the talk of exclusivity turned into another "Screw Nintendo and it's crap" comment...
Not Nintendo, wiiU. Just look at their spec page. It's plain as day for anyone who can understand it. And I just said I like Nintendo and their policies just hate their hardware last few gens.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I had a little hope, with that reveal trailer that Tomb Raider was going back to actual tombs, going back to the old crazy Lara Croft that isolated herself from everyone and was disowned by her parents, all so she could do what she wanted to do. The criminal activity of raiding tombs. Especially with the line that that she was shutting people out.

But hearing the news about it being only on the Xbox One, tells me it's probably just going to be another Crystal Dynamics game. It'll be the return of fun time gore arena's where you try to kill as many men as possibly, as quickly as possibly, and in the most brutal way possible. Cause you know, blood and gore is more morally acceptably than stonking great tits and solving puzzles.

Can't wait to hear how many optional tombs there will be because they suddenly remembered in mid development the game was about tomb raiding.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PirateRose said:
I had a little hope, with that reveal trailer that Tomb Raider was going back to actual tombs, going back to the old crazy Lara Croft that isolated herself from everyone and was disowned by her parents, all so she could do what she wanted to do. The criminal activity of raiding tombs. Especially with the line that that she was shutting people out.

But hearing the news about it being only on the Xbox One, tells me it's probably just going to be another Crystal Dynamics game. It'll be the return of fun time gore arena's where you try to kill as many men as possibly, as quickly as possibly, and in the most brutal way possible. Cause you know, blood and gore is more morally acceptably than stonking great tits and solving puzzles.
what difference would platform make?

anyway it's a timed exclusive...which came as a surprise to no one

TiberiusEsuriens said:
Ben's original article makes several very valid points. Key is that without the Microsoft cash influx into this game, it would most likely not exist at all. )
do you realise how fucked up that is?

it was a critical sucess and despite what square says it did make money....but a big seller and critical darling now needs "saving" by microsoft? this isn't Bayonetta...what the hell went wrong?

Zombie Badger said:
Is it just me or does it look like Enix is modelling Lara off of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?
the jacket hoodie combo of angst

I see I'm not the only person who noticed...I actually like it though, no complaints from me

josemlopes said:
The game is being released on the Xbox at the same time as Uncharted 4 so
great...theyre gonna pit those two together...
I predict Tomb Raider isn't going to make it to a third game

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
doomed89 said:
Not Nintendo, wiiU. Just look at their spec page. It's plain as day for anyone who can understand it. And I just said I like Nintendo and their policies just hate their hardware last few gens.
So because the Wii U has lower specs, that makes it bad, right?

doomed89

May 5, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:
Yeah. It guarantees it's not going to get any ps4/Xbone multiplats and that it's games will be capped at pretty much what ps3/360 were capable of. So already we have last gen games and next to no 3rd party support and I've barely gotten started and since it's hardware it's not going to change with time. I could keep going if you'd like.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Soulrender95 said:
daxterx2005 said:
this was the first I'd heard of the RE reboot.

Wasn't six also billed as a reboot initially?

I'll believe it when it comes out.
it's not a reboot it's an upscaled version of resident evil 1 that was released on the Gamecube way back when, which means hopefully they'll also port the awesome awesomness that is Resident evil Zero

OT:
It's amazing how corporate money always seems to speak louder than customer money, I'll not pretend I was going to buy Rise of the tomb raider at launch but I probably would have picked it up eventually. would have, not now, not unless it comes with an exclusive day with one Jim Sterling.
Yeah, I edited my post 10 minutes before you even replied to me....

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:
Yeah. It guarantees it's not going to get any ps4/Xbone multiplats and that it's games will be capped at pretty much what ps3/360 were capable of. So already we have last gen games and next to no 3rd party support and I've barely gotten started and since it's hardware it's not going to change with time. I could keep going if you'd like.
Ok give me a moment to take all this in...

Lower Specs + No Xbone/PS4 Multiplatform games + Non Changing Hardware? + "No" Third Party Support = A Bad Console

I think i'm getting it now, but please continue

doomed89

May 5, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:

Lower Specs + No Xbone/PS4 Multiplatform games + Non Changing Hardware? + "No" Third Party Support = A Bad Console

What's with question mark. You can't change the cpu of a console after it's released, it would cause so many bugs and make future games unplayable on previous wiiUs. Also you missed the part where wiiU games can't do anything ps3/360 games haven't already. Not to mention redundancy in your equation.

Tablet controller is just a waste of money and nobody wants it or uses it not even Nintendo in their own games, lack of a unified control is problematic to say the least. No proper account system means people should be wary about buying digitally, Nintendo was completely unprepared for HD development as if they didn't even look at what happened with ps3/360.

So yeah wiiU is a bad console.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
doomed89 said:

What's with question mark. You can't change the cpu of a console after it's released, it would cause so many bugs and make future games unplayable on previous wiiUs. Also you missed the part where wiiU games can't do anything ps3/360 games already have. Not to mention redundancy in your equation.

Tablet controller is just a waste of money and nobody wants it or uses it not even Nintendo in their own games, lack of a unified control is problematic to say the least. No proper account system means people should be wary about buying digitally, Nintendo was completely unprepared for HD development as if they didn't even look at what happened with ps3/360.

So yeah wiiU is a bad console.
Well since i've indulged your blocks of bullsh!t...let me counter with my own block o' text...

1) Since when has console specs condemned a console to death? That way of thinking would mean that all other generations of consoles are retroactively bad because their specs aren't as good as the current gens. With that way of thinking, some of the most revered consoles of all time like the PS2, Wii, SNES, Playstation are now utter crap.

2) Having multiple control options isn't problematic at all. It gives players more choices. Don't like using a Wii remote? Get a classic controller and play your games that way. Got used to the previous console Wii remote and nunchuck? You can use them on the Wii U. Soon, there will be a Gamecube controller adapter that will let players use a Gamecube controller and soon after that, games will include the option to use that controller. The other consoles have multiple control options and there is nothing wrong with those so why is it only a problem with the Wii U.

3) Companies don't change their consoles CPU in the same generation.

4) Not every PS4/Xbone game runs at 60 fps. Hell, a lot of PC games don't run at 60 fps.

5) So because the Wii U can do the same things as the PS3/360 (both good consoles), that makes it bad? Another extremely closed minded thing to say. The PS4/Xbone do the same things as the PS3/360 so I guess they are bad too.

6) Does the Wii U REALLY need every Xbone/PS4 multiplatform game that is released? No. Sure, it would be nice to get some of the games that are released, but it doesn't NEED them...just like the Wii didn't need every PS3/360 multiplatform game to sell over 100 million Wii consoles. Do the PS4 and Xbone suck because they don't have the Nintendo games? No. I guess, according to you, the PC sucks at gaming too because it doesn't have a lot of the games exclusive to consoles.

7) You don't like the tablet controller so that makes it bad. I quite like the controller and being able to play games from the screen on the controller or watch online videos from the screen on the controller. I guess my opinion cancels your opinion out.

8) Nintendo has the Nintendo Network ID. You can download, erase and re-download just like any other console. You can even save everything to an external hard drive and carry it around with you if you want. What is to worry about on the Wii U that doesn't apply to every digital distribution outlet out there?

9) Again, i'm not sure you know what you are talking about when it comes to Nintendo and HD gaming.

Looks pretty damn good to me. I guess it just isn't dark and brown enough for your liking. Also, I guess I missed that generation of gaming when all that mattered was graphics.
Practically EVERYTHING you've said is incredibly closed minded or you are flat out misinformed about things. Frankly, i'm not even sure you've ever touched a Wii U with your own hands.

You are sounding just like every other hater who has never even tried the Wii U...and if that is the case then i'm done talking to you because you spewing hateful crap won't stop me from liking the console or thinking it's "good".

You think the Wii U is bad. I think the Wii U is good. I guess we cancel each other out...

Found this just for you...seemed appropriate

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Endocrom said:
What the heck was that trailer with the spikey mutating Hyena?
I think that was the Square Enix trailer for their new game engine, not an actual game but the engine itself.

EDIT: [user]spoonybard.hahs[/user] confirms it.

spoonybard.hahs said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Endocrom said:
What the heck was that trailer with the spikey mutating Hyena?
I think that was the Square Enix trailer for their new game engine, not an actual game but the engine itself.
You are correct.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I always assumed that it was publishers that shopped exclusivity and then took the highest offer. Without all the facts I fail to see how blame can be placed on Microsoft alone.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
DataSnake said:
Imagine, for a minute, the reaction if any other industry tried this shit. How about the film industry. What if a cinema chain reached out to Marvel and said "if you airbrush Black Widow out of Avengers 2 for everyone else, so that we have the exclusive version of the movie, we'll give you some cash"? That shit would not fly. Or what if DVDs worked that way? "Want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy? Your DVD player better be manufactured by Sony, it won't work on competitors' players!" Or what if auto manufacturers started abusing the adopt-a-highway program and only let people driving their brand of cars drive on "their" roads? Or, what if Apple made a deal with Pizza Hut that says you can only order delivery if you call on an iPhone? Somehow, I don't think that would go over very well.
For some reason the video game industry is allowed to get away with countless blatantly obviously exploitative business practices that with any other industries would cause them to fall if they tried to pull the same crap at least openly, exclusivity is just one of them. If you can think of a bad thing for an industry to do short of outright crime, chances are the video game industry has done it, is doing it, and will continue to do it and getting off scot free while flaunting the fact that they're doing this and giving their customers the middle finger all the way. This is the direct result of the endless streams of blind fans and casuals that buy up anything the video game industry spews out without care for how they are being screwed and keep popping up 10 more for every one that wises up.

What needs to happen is a least one if not several big time companies need to go under as a direct result of pulling this blatantly exploitative crap and send a message to everybody else that's left that this crap IS BAD in BRIGHT SHINING NEON or else this kind of thing is just going to keep happening and keep getting worse.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
It's funny how it seems like Nintendo is the only one left in the industry that still understands what exclusive means.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah I've always despised exclusivity.

At best it results in a tedious wait for the thing that others already have making it to me, at worst it means some things are never available.

I play PC, and in the age of digital distribution, there is no reason for any console game that doesn't rely on a unique control input not to make it to my platform, these developers aren't going to force me to buy the system they got into bed with, they're just going to prevent themselves from getting my money, brilliant strategy there.