Jimquisition: Shadiness of Mordor

Lapin Logic

Dec 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Shadiness of Mordor

The Eye of Sauron is watching, forever watching, and he wants to make sure your YouTube videos are "on message."

Watch Video
nice to see a game invest heavily in cape physics and technology 8)
just a shame they are using a lot of,,, cloak and dagger tactics

i still think i will get middle earth's creed, it looks good, shame i now have less confidence in some youtube producers

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for this Jim. I have to say I'm quite happy I didn't buy this shitbox. Fuck this kind of practice, this is one reason why I no longer preorder games. That shit is long done and over, add to this that there will never again be a lack of discs or downloads for games so there is ZERO reason to preorder. Fuck the corporate mentality, it makes me ill. Advertisers need to just die, they're a fucking poison to my "well adjusted" mind. =P

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
grimner said:
Being that the AAA and their publishers are literally who (see what I did there?) keeps gaming journalists afloat, it's safe to say that denouncing them is actually the ballsy thing to do.
Oh I think it's quite courageous of him. Very golfclap worthy.

Question is, why is Jim incapable of turning that courage towards condemning professional journalists who failed at disclosure? Why does he ignore writers who had to add disclosures to their articles sneakily and refuse to apologize? And ultimately, why does he stand with people who abuse and smear their consumers?

And his ad still says "Get Angry". It's probably the funniest thing I've ever seen.

grimner said:
My questions to GG is still the same: who did they try to boycott when Doritosgate happened? where the fuck were they when a journallist from Eurogamer was threathened with legal action and eventually resigned for publishing an article about the gifts games journos receive from the publishers? Did they even know about this? In keeping with that, how can they blacklist a publication that not only has a code of transparency and full disclosure in place, but it has so for 2 years?
The fact that Doritosgate is even a thing is because consumers. Mass Effect 3 ending got BTFO because of consumers. Gamergate, likewise, is exposing hypocrisy, collusion and corruption, because of consumers. My question is, when will journalists realize they need to be part of the coversation? When will they realize they can't cherrypick who to condemn and who to defend, and expect to get away with it? When will they realize that as journalists in a billion dollar industry, they need to take responsibility for their behavior?

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
grimner said:
JohnFei said:
Oh I think it's quite courageous of him. Very golfclap worthy.
Yet your tone suggests it's not.
You think?

He wasn't, he hasn't and he doesn't. He has criticised collusion in the past, he has criticised lack of disclosure, he has called out industry BS a lot of time, he recognised the games media's tenddency to belittle its audience and issued his own mea culpas on the issue (back in 2012)
All of which, in the past. Nice of you to nail it so eloquently for me tho.

Jim Sterling is a hypocrite because he only stands up for consumers against certain parties. I like your comparison with Kain, who despite staying neutral, has actively engaged with Gamergate and called out the bullshit from the journalists. Meanwhile, Jim is busy deflecting for his pals and refusing to join the discussion, content with taking potshots at some shitty PR company and youtubers. Sure, the draconian conditions should be condemned, but his silence on the elephant in the room is deafening.

And that elephant's just gonna get bigger and bigger.

Doritosgate had absolutely zero consequences (well, at least one site changed its terms of service, but funnily enough, #gamergate has it blacklisted), and your bringing about ME3 is moot given the fact that I didn't bring it up. so, yeah, there's that.
I like your debate style, it's kind of adorable. And still tragically missing the point.

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
grimner said:
JohnFei said:

Your need to resort to condesdendence, adorable as it is, is not worth the time of me lowering myself down to it. Not with so many issues raised which still remained unresolved. Until such a time when that occurs, your debate style will remain inexistant, and will not be engaged.

Feel free to drop by anytime with actual counter arguments, though.
Still adorable.

Nice talking to you too. Try again when you're not demanding consumers to do journalists' job for them.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
008Zulu said:
I wonder if the shitty indie devs who load up Steam with their shite, will start using things like this.
Not gonna happen. No way the indies have the legal muscle to pull this off. Nah they're just file copyrights with Youtube and let the system do the rest.

Gah this is just ugly.

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
JohnFei said:
Netrigan said:
It's easy going after targets who produce games you don't like. The true test of ethics is when it involves someone or something you like.
Exactly the problem with Sterling. And he didn't pass the test.
Conflicting feelings always are a *****, aren't they?

Especially when they're taken as CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE OF DER HYPOCRITCY by people with agendas.

Not saying either of you fine gentlemen have an agenda. Of course.

Rubescent

Mar 26, 2013
Oh you see clearly they got there Tailer Rules mixed up with there Review rules because seriously all that crap that is being procured sounds more like the rules to a commercial or a interview with a developer who hate giving away any secrets and can NEVER give any bad press or even just a trailer or something I don't know I'm just saying that's what it sounds like not the rules for a reviewer to follow but the rules of someone trying to make a commercial for it

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
lassiie said:
Too bad this had to be a negative video about the publishers. This game was quite simply, amazing, and I am disappointed in the practices they tried to pull.
Yeah now the negative publicity because of this might overshadow conversations about how the game is actually like. Potentially creating another Barbara Streisand effect, particularly because gamers and critics alike are very sensitive when it comes to censorship.

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
JohnFei said:
Exactly the problem with Sterling. And he didn't pass the test.

I'm always amused when people try to make Gamergate an AAA vs Indie issue. Many of us have been boycotting AAA for years, we were rooting for the indies. But indies let us down.
He has criticized indie devs before for censoring commentary on their games. He even called it out as even more prevalent than AAA titles.

I know you are angry with the perception of him, but this portrayal is simply not correct.
Jim Sterling is a respectable journalist.

ironballs16

Jun 4, 2009
I actually sent a polite email to Plaid Social after reading the article done by Erik Kain on Forbes and watching this vid, hoping that it might impress upon them that, even if the short-term gains might be higher due to such tactics, it WILL hurt in the long-run. I'd encourage anyone else bugged by this issue to do the same.