Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
I actually like this. He's improved the backdrop since the first episode on the escapist, cut down on a huge proportion of the swearing made a few valid points.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
mikespoff said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
I think the funniest thing is the people that have never been in the video game industry or journalists are judging Jim Sterling as crap...etc...etc when he actually has been those things...Destructoid, Free lance writer for gamepro, gamefront and now escapist...

How are those that have no experience able to judge so harshly? and often with no reason? And why is it that a good 95% of the commentors have never even seen his work over at destructoid let alone the other jimquisition videos and seem to have enough grap in their little worlds to say they know the essence of what he's doing?
So, if I'm reading this right, we should go easy on him because he's done a lot of other allegedly decent work?

Put simply, I don't care about his other work. As a reader of The Escapist, I care about whether his work for this site is any good. And it isn't: he's had two segments and I thought both of them were pretty awful.

If anything, all that other allegedly decent material that he's done should have given him enough practice to make something worth watching for his Escapist segments. It hasn't.
Exactly. Even if Sterling is covering the same topics as have already been done to death here, his supposed professionalism and past experience should be allowing him to tackle old subjects in new ways and from a new perspective. He hasn't done that at all. All he's done is done a half assed job that almost comes across as more lame unfunny parody than honest attempt. Quite simply, there really isn't any place here for him.

Oh, and as for experience, Yahtzee has indie game development experience and as a published novel. The EC crew have extensive experience in the game development scene. Even MovieBob, if I recall correctly, has some low level film making experience. Sterling's supposed experience doesn't give him a leg up over any of the other contributors because the other have experience too.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.
I'm so pissed that he decided to make two absolutely shitty fucking retarded videos instead of continuing in the line of those two.

Herp Derp.

Ilyak1986

Dec 16, 2010
Okay, first things first:

What has been seen cannot be unseen, now please pass the brain bleach. Both in terms of pictures, and the way this guy actually looks.

Now...about the content.

Actually...I seriously disagree with his viewpoint. Yes, we view women as being objectified because... *Most gamers are male*. However, when you step back, and in the words of George Carlin, think about it, you might notice that there are excellent examples of men being just as objectified.

Both in the real world AND in media. In fact, you'll find that quite a few times, if you'd gender swap a male character not being viewed sexually, you'd realize that such an outfit would be beyond unacceptable on a female.

Some examples:
Dante (open jacket)
Warcraft 3 demon hunter (topless)
God of War Kratos (need I explain?)
Any male character in a fighting game or otherwise going topless or near topless (think Maxi with a vest).

And heck, what about pro wrestling, with a bunch of guys running around in boots and underpants? You'd think that with how easily males go for idealized women, what about women for men that get just about as ideal as reality allows (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, anybody)? And what about bodybuilders, who wear nothing more than a thong, so they could show off more of their muscles?

I contend that there are just as many idealized/sexualized men as there are women, it's just that we guys don't really give a damn about it. Oh look, Kratos is running around in nothing but a skirt and boots. Big deal. Or heck, look at superman in his all blue-spandex and a red pair of underpants just to attract attention to that area. Snore.

But heck, put a female in a spandex outfit...

Here...some description association:

Most sexualized ninja you can think of. Go.

How many of you registered Taki?

But when you step back and think about it, is there anything more idealized about her than with some male equivalents? Perfect proportions and 34DDs? What about all of the jacked guys with skintight outfits/open robes/topless/etc...?

No, I think guys are just as idealized as women in terms of their appearance.

However, it may be a case of game designers drawing more attention to women's sexual features than they do for males (jiggle physics, I'm looking at you, aka Team Ninja). This isn't an issue with outfits or body types.

While there are chainmail bikinis, there are those who go into a fight of epic proportions with little more than a pair of pants on (if that--Kratos).

Equality exists--it's just that we guys aren't prude about it.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
i agree with his idea but now i need to bleach my eyes to get objectified men out of them

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Still not funny but at least its watchable this time. I like humor that appeals to the lowest common denominator but fuck this is just not funny.

I think that you fancy yourself clever when coming up with the hook for your show but its not original at all, unless you think slapping my computer monitor with cartoon scrotum original. If I really wanted that I would go to newgrounds and watch the crap over sexualized 15 years olds think is funny.

I'm gonna give it one more episode then i'm done. I bet when you accepted the job for this site you didn't expect it to turn into

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Worst social situation in society that mankind has ever encountered? You might be exaggerating a tad there, mate. :p

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
It's a good show, if you don't like it don't watch it.
Christ... It's not like I comment on every thing I don't like on the Escapist you because it makes me seem like a better person. Get over yourselves.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
slipknot4 said:
Christ... It's not like I comment on every thing I don't like on the Escapist you because it makes me seem like a better person. Get over yourselves.
These are good posts, if you don't like them, don't read them. Christ... it's not like I comment on every post I don't like because it makes me seem like a better person. get over yourself. See it just seems stupid when someone ELSE does it, doesn't it?

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
no, just, no.
i thought to myself "i hated the first episode, but maybe its just a bad start, ill give this a go", now i regret it.
so, ive had a full week to cool off and watch this episode and i still feel like breaking his face.
pretty much everything said appears to be wrong (not controversial), said in the most irritating way possible and going for the "oh, look at me, i can be random, through random clips in and have an angry tone" appeal, which only works on 5 year olds now.

please move to a column, it seems you would be better at it.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
This guy seems like he's trying to be Stephen Colbert, and failing hard. Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

flatten_the_skyline

Jul 21, 2009
I don't see anything new in this, not even looking at an old problem from a new angle. Basically this happens in all other media as well (half naked dudes, batman with nipples etc.) and it doesn't solve the problem at all. If we were to objectify men as much as we do with women, we'd achieve exactly the same self esteem issues in boys not meeting the standard as we do with girls, and those numbers are already rising. There is no balance in obhectification of all, since even after you hypothetically receive gender equality you still have lookism. I don't call for another victorian period. I think that sex should be treated as a healthy part of life, but this is not achieved by only showing idealized naked bodies.

The duke is a satire in my eyes, but it's also what gamers are judged by in other media. I guess I'll play DNF (when it's done of course) but I want it to stand out by its sexism.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Ben Hussong said:
slipknot4 said:
These are good posts, if you don't like them, don't read them. Christ... it's not like I comment on every post I don't like because it makes me seem like a better person. get over yourself. See it just seems stupid when someone ELSE does it, doesn't it?
I've failed to see how any of this is in some way, shape or form connecting the dots.
All I'm saying is that people are deliberately trying to get rid of the show because of their own opinion on it even if there are viewers that enjoy it.
All that in a very rude way.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
slipknot4 said:
Ben Hussong said:
slipknot4 said:
I've failed to see how any of this is in some way, shape or form connecting the dots.
All I'm saying is that people are deliberately trying to get rid of the show because of their own opinion on it even if there are viewers that enjoy it.
All that in a very rude way.
I was basically attempting a sort of sarcastic thing there, but i think i was too tired to pull it off. Anyway, the point is that it seems , IMO the majority of us don't like the addition of Jim, and feel he doesn't really have a place here and may hurt the Escapist's reputation and damage the image of gaming as a whole, something we are trying to get to a respectable level.

jrcillian

Nov 25, 2009
Good Lord...objectification of either gender is wrong and should be taken seriously. I know we're not "wired" to be socially conscious or even remotely caring about the issues that affect the world around us...but COME ON!!! Why is this guy still here? We had a nice week without him...can't we go back to that?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm glad people are putting their opinion on the shows, amazing this has hit 14 pages already. Goes to show that there is something worth yammering about his show after all eh?

Jokes aside, yeah, I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do either. I'm not finding him funny, and if he's trying to make a point he should spend more time directly making it rather than filling it with fluff. Strange, posting his videos on a website like this, because a lot of the topics here have been covered at length. His stuff posted on other websites (like the youtube posts on some earlier pages) and his ranting on piracy on kotaku seemed pretty valid, and even represent a change in shift of his stance due to circumstances (I think it was the Crysis 2 leak). I think these would do better here.