Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Fl0yd

May 3, 2011
After this second show I now understand that he is trying to be funny. Apparently there are people who seem to be entertained by this. I, for one, am not.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
You Escapisteers do understand that, aside from some imported Japanese media, half-naked men are not put into games to arouse women, right? Kratos and Liu Kang aren't meant to "objectify" men, to use the limp, impotent counterargument everyone is trying to shoehorn into this. It's because shirtlessness = macho manliness.
We can at least cop to the fact that, when outside this little electronic box, all of us here are living in the real world, right?

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
Admiral Stukov said:
And if you don't like it don't click the frelling link to the video!
I put it to you that we can't tell if we don't like something until we've seen it and that I wasn't about to judge an entire series by it's pilot episode alone. I figured that the first video might have just been a shaky start and he could have improved. He didn't. Quite the opposite actually.

Don't worry, I wont be clicking the link in future and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
GHudston said:
Admiral Stukov said:
And if you don't like it don't click the frelling link to the video!
I put it to you that we can't tell if we don't like something until we've seen it and that I wasn't about to judge an entire series by it's pilot episode alone. I figured that the first video might have just been a shaky start and he could have improved. He didn't. Quite the opposite actually.

Don't worry, I wont be clicking the link in future and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.
Which of course is perfectly reasonable.
Saying, like some people here, that it should be removed because you don't like it isn't.

I realize that I've might been a bit unreasonable seeing as this is only the second video on this site.

Dale Cooper

Apr 12, 2009
'Men like to look at tits.'

That explains the reason why people watch this shit.

I was gave Jim a second chance because I liked some of his destructiod stuff, but sadly this was crap, not as crap as last week though.

If the rate of improvement continues in about 3 years he might do something worth watching, sorry I am out.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Seen both of these now, not really that funny in my opinion, not compared to the other videos on this site. Better visuals so it's not just a guy ranting into the camera would help :p

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So, the point of the video wasn't to objectify both men and women so we don't take sexuality so personally like we do nowadays?... *sarcasm*

Sarcasm aside, it is obvious he is giving an opinion about how sexuality can be played in video games. Whether you like it or not is understandable, but to miss it completely is what I don't get. I too would find it very amusing if both men and women become objectified and I would really approve of it. Sure, I may cringe a little if men in video games started to look like Deviant Art Dante to Superbowl Sunday Husband, but it would become very amusing.

p.s. Sexuality has been talked about, but never in the form of objectifying both sexes. Usually just the "sterilizing" of both sexes.

ElectrifiedSorcerer

Apr 8, 2011
Oh, dear Jim. Where to start.
The nature argument is a bit tacky. I mean, nature tells me I have to spread my gene material and I don't have to be fussy about how I go about it, which includes tactics on the somewhat rapey side. I'm not certain the 'hey, we're just like this' argument will help because you'll find that we often work to be a lot of stuff our genes may not be aiming for like civilization and that.

Objectification isn't the act of finding women attractive. It's assuming that all they're good for is being attractive. The problem isn't that the women are nude and the men are not. The problem is that the men get interesting designs and the women just get massive cleavage. Kinda shitty that girls don't have role models in gaming because every female character is basically designed with 'Tits or GTFO' as the theme.

lucky_bob45

Sep 4, 2008
I'll not be watching any future videos from this series. Extra Credits have already touched on these subjects and done so with intellegence and insight, not just flagerant "shock jock" tactics and purile levels of facetiousness. This program can only be bad for the image of video game culture. It belittles us.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.
Monocles, man. Monocles.

So yeah, I had the same idea a few years back, but never found the right way to express it. Thanks for saying what I always wanted to say Jim.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Good to see people are watching things they didn't like before, so they can tell us they didn't like it.

Freakin sounds like, Shinji in here.

Arctic Fox

Cool Customer
Apr 14, 2009
Sorry, Jim, I've watched both episodes, and this just isn't my cup of tea. If you try anything else, though, like a written column or different type of show, I'd be interested in giving it a fair chance.

- constructive criticism: maybe change the backdrop to a picture of the city you are from or just a picture of yourself would work. If it is possible to edit in different pictures every 10 seconds or so, it could really liven up the "staleness" everyone seems to go on about.

To everyone going on and on about his past, lets leave it there and give him a fresh start and judge him on what he has brought to the Escapist thus far. Everyone has done things they may not be particularly proud of, but everyone deserves a second chance. I'm not condoning anything that Jim has said or written in the past, but I feel he deserves a clean slate.

Anyhow, best of luck to Jim and all his endeavors.

James Patton

May 3, 2011
The Escapist already discussed this topic much, much better. So did the Game Overthinker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rTuKFkHIc

http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-32-I-Heart-Bayonetta

I disagree with some of TGO's points in the first video, but at least he actually knows what he's talking about. He's clearly actually thought about this in some depth and has put some work into his videos.

Jim's video... meh... I got the impression he was just ranting, without having actually thought of anything to say beyond "Everyone get naked!", his one (largely unfunny) joke.

This has been done much better elsewhere. He's less funny, less charismatic, less thoughtful and less incisive than MovieBob, Yahtzee and the Escapist. I just don't see why we should continue watching these. Maybe I'll watch the next one to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not holding my breath.

He's just fighting a losing battle. If he talked about something that nobody else was - maybe something to do with how games are reviewed or game-journalism tends - then maybe it'd actually be interesting.

Oh, and if he swore less. It's like he knows the videos are bad and is trying to prop them up with big, manly swears to make himself look butch. Please.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
I actually ditested his first episode, but this one has warmed on me, he need to improve alot more though till the point i spam the refresh button for him like i do for the big picture and zero punctuation.

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
I thought the last episode was mehish. This one was a lot better.

A poor man's Charlie Brooker maybe but I laughed and it's at least delievered differently to all the ':D VIDEO GAMES ARE SOOOOOO COOOOOL AND SOOOOOO ARTY'. Not that they're bad, or wrong, but it's nice to have something different. And I love me some cynicism and irony.

I like the stand-up style delivery too.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
According to Jim, anyone who does not like him is a fucking moron and an elitist ****.

https://twitter.com/#!/JimSterling

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
So can someone tell me what's wrong with the video? I found it fairly amusing.

How are people disputing men like women? we are living and breathing right now right? I guess objectification is the right word for our natural instinct, I very much doubt early humans sat down and chatted to their mate over a coffee at starbucks.