Jimquisition: Super Ethical Vlogging Climax

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Alcamonic said:
SwimmingRock said:
Bribase said:
Just out of interest, what game in the video had the guy in the rucksack on the quad bike? it looks awful.
I believe you're inquiring about Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta. It's on Steam and shit. Jim did a video on it on his YouTube page and I've tried it myself. Didn't get far, because I encountered a game-breaking glitch that was sort of fixed later, but I'd already uninstalled the game by that time.
Thanks for the question and answer. Was wondering myself. At first I thought it was Alpha Protocol.

Does anyone know if a Double Jim a week will be standard from now?
I could barely pay attention to Jim that game looked so bad. I was entranced by the suckitude. It maybe looked like a much crappier version of Alpha Protocol and AP is what, 4 or 5 years old now? It better not have been a kickstarter...

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
PuckFuppet said:
This whole "watch other people play games or review things on youtube" thing has passed me completely by, as has most eh... "gamer culture" really, and I really don't see the outright appeal.
I won't speak for why anyone else is into this kind of thing, but when I watch let's play type things it's usually for two reasons:

- video game trailers are absolutely useless for determining a game's quality

- video game reviews (as in professional ones) tend not to include the kind of detail I want in evaluating a game pre-purchase

A video game review might be scathing enough to turn me off a game about which I was previously on the fence, but even a glowing pro review isn't enough to convince me a game is worth buying. So if I'm unsure about Vidyagame X but it seems like it could be fun, I'll look around Youtube to see if anyone's done a let's play or otherwise showcased more than five minutes of gameplay in it and I'll check some of that out to get a feel for that game. It's rare I'll watch an entire let's play series or something, good lord, those things take days to finish sometimes, but I'll skip around to different segments here and there for a taste. I find it helpful.

As entertainment, eh. Very few LP's hold my interest in that sense.

Jan 30, 2014
Jim, your videos always make me smile. Thanks for being so awesome. :)
Also, i think you would make a great voice for a NPC, my reasoning being why the hell not?

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I love how there's always an Xbone ad before these videos proceed to tear Microsoft apart.

Jim missed out on pointing out the worst part of all of this - the stipulation in the "agreement" that no one involved speak about the existence of the agreement, which is morally bankrupt at best and illegal at worst.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I guess I am jaded, for I don't believe anything I see on the internet anymore and I am automatically skeptical of anything that is related to gaming for so many things I have read are exaggerations of what is really happening. I am not saying this is the case with this specific issue, but because of previous issues I have seen in the past the first thing that comes to my mind is that the issue is being simplified by a lot of people.

Edit:

I couldn't express my issue properly.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Now we just need the Wii U licked to complete the set. Nice episode, and thank God for you.

Ken_J said:
I bet the XBox tasted of Mountain Dew and/Doritoes
Speaking from personal experience, you are absolutely right.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
deathmothon said:
I could barely pay attention to Jim that game looked so bad. I was entranced by the suckitude. It maybe looked like a much crappier version of Alpha Protocol and AP is what, 4 or 5 years old now? It better not have been a kickstarter...
If it is any consolation, it got a greenlight on Steam :p

lickilax

Jun 18, 2013
dbenoy said:
I consume the stuff that I think is most accurate, and most interesting. If they can take bribes to change their opinions, and somehow this makes them more accurate an interesting, then great!- Taking bribes to change opinions is dishonest, because they`re not giving an accurate opinion, they are most likely kissing up to the sponsor so that the sponsor will give them more money.

Granted you said a channel like this would likely die, but there is no reason a channel can`t be both inaccurate and interesting.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Machinima has never set right with me in the first place. From what I've heard over the years, they don't really play nicely with the people they bring on as partners on Youtube. That is why I don't watch many Machinima content makers. The ones I do watch, I watch for comedy entertainment, not opinions and news.

For the good info I watch:

I've come to use YouTube as my main source of gaming entertainment and news. TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" series is now one of my main sources for looking at and finding out about new games. I literally have to be drug away from my computer for me to miss one of his live podcasts.

I relatively regularly watch around eight or so YouTubers other than TB, all of which work with or fall under the same umbrella as him. All are honest and straight forward. If they do a brand deal, they are right up front about it, and they will rip a game apart regardless of that fact.

What I fear is that as some companies find that there are more and more successful YouTube gaming personalities like TB, that won't take shit from them and will expose them and reveal the truth when things are bad, come into prominence, that is when it will be harder for such good YouTubers to make to keep their honest word out there.

The whole copyright wars stuff on YouTube shows this. It seams more and more the jerky/dirty gaming companies are trying to work and change the system so that the people that point things out honestly and making an honest living off if it, get forced out of the job and the spotlight.

But I feel confident that there will be a strong fight mounted against them. TB has show in the past couple years that if companies using dirty tactics want to screw with big name YouTubers, they are going to get burned.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
It does take the cheesecake and eat it. I became suspicious of Youtube buying Machinima last year, which gives all the control of a fan based media outlet in Google's control. Think about that for a moment, a corporate entity buys an originally fan created online video outlet. When has that ever happened? It spelled bad news from then on.

Next came the Let's Play cull, as the Googlebot went to town on all. If it was any better it might be scene from a Terminator movie. It was Google's Order 66 in effect and many heads of good Youtubers rolled.

So from those ashes, raises this monstrosity of corporate greed laced advertising, gutted of real valuable opinion. The agenda is revealed, They want to stranglehold the free voices on games etc in reigns, to do their bidding. I'm sure some will bite, as they are never likely to see that kind of money in their life, and said money could help them in whatever they do.

Best thing is to switch to Twitch, Ustream etc, peeps.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
You should better stop asking him to lick all those disgusting plastic things, or soon there might be a week with no Jimquisition, because of Jim having caught a bad case of herpes.

telaros

Jul 27, 2012
Sweet! Congrats in the VA role Jim!

I'll pick up a copy even if it does end up sucking just because you are the man I trust most to give an honest opinion about the games industry. I'm sure you did an awesome job on the VA bits anyways, here's to you getting more roles in games! xD

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SonOfMethuselah said:
Um... am I the only one who's just seeing an 8 minute video of various clips of Escapist shows? There's no Jimquisition here...

Edit: Ha! Three tries and ten minutes later! Dunno what that was all about.
I had the same thing last week when I watched Bob. Its weird, like a demo of all the vids on the site or something...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
On a sad tangent, that photo of Bodie and Doyle from The Professionals, a seriously cool show, reminded me that Lewis Collins (the actor who played Bodie) died of cancer last November.

Onto the matter at hand; I agree that any YouTube channel should have the right to take on a formal, remunerated role as a spokesman for a product, group or service of any kind. However, it should be plainly stated prior to film or musical material, or clearly noted on any printed/web based writing material that it is a paid review.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
SonOfMethuselah said:
Um... am I the only one who's just seeing an 8 minute video of various clips of Escapist shows? There's no Jimquisition here...

Edit: Ha! Three tries and ten minutes later! Dunno what that was all about.
I had the same thing last week when I watched Bob. Its weird, like a demo of all the vids on the site or something...
For a minute, I thought Jim was using clips of other Escapists to make some kind of point, possibly an ironic one. Around the start of the second minute, though, I figured I was probably wrong. Good to know I'm not the only one who's seen it. :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
deathmothon said:
Alcamonic said:
SwimmingRock said:
Bribase said:
Just out of interest, what game in the video had the guy in the rucksack on the quad bike? it looks awful.
I believe you're inquiring about Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta. It's on Steam and shit. Jim did a video on it on his YouTube page and I've tried it myself. Didn't get far, because I encountered a game-breaking glitch that was sort of fixed later, but I'd already uninstalled the game by that time.
Thanks for the question and answer. Was wondering myself. At first I thought it was Alpha Protocol.

Does anyone know if a Double Jim a week will be standard from now?
It's called "Unearthed: The Trail of Ibn Battuta" it's an episodic indie game, the first chapter of which is available on STEAM for $5. The "gold" edition no less, with 120 bug fixes..... (I'll pause to let that sink in given the video).

I think someone mentioned the title earlier. I don't have much interest in it, but it's supposedly become fairly infamous in some places. I heard that allegedly it's supposed to be the first internationally released video game from Pakistan or something, and the devs have run around on forums calling anyone who didn't like it racist.

True or not, it doesn't seem terrible for a $5 indie game of such ambition. Comparitively speaking I've seen indie productions turn out a lot worse than what I saw in Jim's video while trying to tackle a lot less. That said the "hand to hand combat" was almost painful to watch... and I didn't look that closely, but was that supposed to be a muslim girl driving the Quad or a Jawa in a red hood? :)

I mostly know because I looked at it on STEAM, and just double checked to make sure it was the same game. Generally speaking it takes an awful lot to get me to consider playing a shooter (either first or third person). The only ones that usually accomplish that are Bioshock or Dead Space (which I abandoned due to microtransactions).