Nov 19, 2009
CHAIN
SWORD
GIVE
IT
TO
ME
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGHHLRL
This was a really good episode, and clarified what I had been thinking since getting a gaming PC a year ago. While I love Human Revolution and the like, a lot of the best things I play are 2d indie games or old games like the Half-lifes.

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
Hmm, come to think of it...
(Checks his current PC games loadout)
X-COM, Escape Velocity, Starcraft I, Battlezone 2 ... I think he might be onto something.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Wow.

This is the first jimquisition I have been able to watch, and I actually laughed!

If all of your content was like this, I would be a fan!

And now I really want to play that EYE game or whatever it was called he was talking about.

And it is very true that the PCs strongest punch isn't graphics, but the creative minds of the people making them.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The irony of the irony is that people play PC games for the versatility.

Not to mention, the more precise aiming, the often better community, the usually free support, the mods, the console commands, the constantly discounted games, the occasional game given away for free, sometimes the steep difficulty curve, the dedicated servers, the still available LAN, the fact that all I have to do to go from gaming to the web is hit alt+tab, and last but not least, the feeling I get when I put together a kick ass rig myself (doesn't apply to everyone).

Aside from that, yep PC gaming and console gaming are exactly the same.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Low Key said:

Not to mention, the more precise aiming, the often better community, the usually free support, the mods, the console commands, the constantly discounted games, the occasional game given away for free, sometimes the steep difficulty curve, the dedicated servers, the still available LAN, the fact that all I have to do to go from gaming to the web is hit alt+tab, and last but not least, the feeling I get when I put together a kick ass rig myself (doesn't apply to everyone).

See, PC gamers just cant make a damn post about their platform without spraying elitist bullshit all over the place. Jim should make an episode about that too.
You what's even more ironic than the irony of PC gaming? The fact that I am a console gamer. Have you checked my profile? You'll find a XBL account and no Steam account. How's that for some irony?

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
jmarquiso said:
Mana Fiend said:
Alas, I'm running my gaming on a laptop with integrated graphics, so I can't get my copy of Amnesia to run. Heck, it's even bugging trying to run 2-player TF2. True, I do love games like Cthulhu Saves the World, Torchlight and Recattear (wow, 3 RPGs... Guess my favourite genre :p), but the reason why I prefer home consoles to PCs is that I like to sit back with a controller in hand and look over the situation presented on screen. Plus, I suck at shooters and RTSes, so having a keyboard and mouse over a controller is not a major problem.

However, I do have to agree that the versitility of a PC is wonderful. My steam is chock full of little indie games that wouldn't exist on a console, such as The Path (in fact, anything by Tale of Tales), Beat Hazard and the afformentioned Recattear. It's just that I prefer to play with a controller than a mouse.

Still, excellent video, and a discussion I often have with my more PC-focused brother.
Rigs with NVIDIA or AMD cards don't cost much more than integrated graphics systems. Next time you're in the market, look out for it.
Ooo, thanks for the heads-up. I shall definitely keep an eye open. :) I need a new rig soon anyway - this one I'm on is utter rubbish. It's just a poorly built machine. Hopefully once I start getting more money come in, I can pick up something with more bite.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Always check Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and Walmart (believe it or not) for sales. Refurbished systems from Amazon and Dell are also places to look. I have a refurbished alienware m11x I got from Newegg for 500, and it runs great aside from the infamous hinge issue (and I'll be getting that fixed soon)

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Oh, so many giggles to be had, so little time - Nice one, Jim! And well made points too

Also, furthermore - Damn, I want that sword...

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
Does the fact that my computer refuses to run Amnesia mean that it's a piece of crap?

Yes? Yes? That's what I thought.

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
PC gamer first and foremost, and graphics are just about the last thing I care about. In fact the obsession with graphics is what has turned me OFF of consoles. If you want to make amazing graphics, MAKE A MOVIE! A game is something to be PLAYED, not WATCHED, and controls and mechanics should always come first.

I'm a PC gamer because the PC is unsurpassed in the variety and precision of available user interface devices (I'm convinced anyone that can tolerate playing FPS on a tiny nub in a plastic cage has never given the mouse an honest try), and its support of user generated content and individual customization.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Am I the only person who actually noticed that it was playing Jesters of the Moon from FF9 in the background?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Low Key said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Low Key said:

See, PC gamers just cant make a damn post about their platform without spraying elitist bullshit all over the place. Jim should make an episode about that too.
You what's even more ironic than the irony of PC gaming? The fact that I am a console gamer. Have you checked my profile? You'll find a XBL account and no Steam account. How's that for some irony?
B-b-b-b-but if you praise PC gaming, it obviously makes you a PC elitist.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
See, this is why I would consider buying a few PC games.
Modding and...some of the games he was talking about.

That whole graphics are better and the mouse is superior arguments are stupid and I don't CARE, but those points I could get behind.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
jim, do not talk about amnesia being a not very graphically intense game. i bought it during the halloween sale and MY PC CANNOT RUN IT. i admit my pc isnt the best, but i figure if it could do shadow of chernobyl, it should do amnesia. but nope. so shut it jim. yes i am bitter thank you

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
I never thought i would say this but; Thank GOD for Jim. Great episode although i would like to add something;

Dear public;

please don't buy a computer from PC world or the like £1000 and expect to run most games. They use shite parts and more often than not don't even have low-end dedicated GPUs. Find something with a core 2 or above, put a 1/2 decent GPU in it and make sure you have plenty of RAM and for under £400 you can run 90% of modern games.

Regards; The Entire Fucking Internet

Seriously folks, many PCs have been miss-sold to the the point you CAN'T play most games on them either because they don't have a dedicated GPU in them or much of the time the PSU is not stable enough to even support higher-end one in some really expensive home PCs. 500w is really your butter-zone. A little knowlege will save you a lot of pain.
Depending on the hardware you're looking to support, a PSU with lower wattage but good efficiency will do the trick just fine.