Jimquisition: The King of Crap Steam Publishers

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Wow I am actually pretty surprised at the sheer volume of crap this publisher has released. I suppose I am even more surprised on how quiet Valve have been despite the still increasing number of awful products on their storefront, in my case I have just gotten to the point where I hardly like even using Steam anymore to browse for games I might want to buy.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Fappy said:
PunkRex said:
Fappy said:
Why no Zen Fish gameplay? Or was that published by someone equally terrible?
What the funking waggles is Zen Fish, dare I ask?
This masterpiece:
It's... so... beautiful....
I actually found Jim's vid of it just now... great f*cking scot... the musics nice though, granted they probably stole it.

EDIT: Oh dear Christ they stole a track from the Bleach OST... and i'm fairly sure the menu music is a Ghibli piece.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
There should be some way to get Steam to pull a publishers qualifications so they have to go through a green light process to get a game on Steam. Steam has to know that having a bunch of crap games lowers sales overall, because good games can't get the publicity needed to thrive and when someone is burned by a bad game, they are less likely to trust Steam in the future.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I never see this crap on the steam store front. I have to wonder what games you guys get recommended to you. Certainly never see this shit on the best selling list.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I never really noticed, but then I just ignore all the shit I'm not interested in.

Meh. I cannot get upset about something trivial like a publisher going to shit and Steam selling crap I wouldn't like.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Huh, I thought this was going to be about 505 Games, which you mentioned in your Steam Needs Quality Control video. Color me surprised.

But hey, 505 published Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, so maybe they're not as completely terrible as Strategy First.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
When Jim said "...tragic hero" I had a sort of skin crawling shock of recognition. I could almost hear those same words in a voice not unlike Stephen Merchant's with a big glowing blue eye.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Fappy said:
I find it shocking that Steam still hasn't addressed any of these damning complaints. Do you know if they've been feeling the pressure since you and some others have come out and criticized them for their shitty quality control?

I really hope they get the message eventually, but part of me worries they just don't give a shit.
It's not shocking so much as it is tiresome and demoralizing. Like the evening news.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I am now a bit worried about looking at the Steam store. I rarely ever do so I wonder what I will find if Jim is to be believed.

Your love is well felt Jim and much appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwZAa2EjKA&feature=youtu.be&t=58s

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
IamLEAM1983 said:
What's really sad is Strategy First used to be a fairly decent publisher, something Montreal natives like me could be proud of. Over the last thirteen years or so, I've seen them go from trying to push decent strategy or turn-based titles to grabbing literally ANYTHING and sticking it up for sale on Steam. I'll admit that they've turned into high-class shit peddlers, but I suspect they're doing what they do just to keep existing as a publisher.

At this point, they're really better off closing their doors.
Looking at their Wikipedia page, they've got a really impressive back catalogue. Sad that it's come to this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bdcjacko said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
But the free market. People obviously want shit games, something something.
Why do you hate America?
Because of all the straight white males. They are all guilty of intentionally oppressing women, each and every one of them.

#patriarchy #sarcasm

Jan 27, 2011
Ugh...Really? I think I hate those guys more than the Air Control and Zen Fish sim guys now!

The worst part of this is that shit like this, this oversaturation of crap hurts actually good devs who are struggling right now!

For example, GoD Factory is a kickass PVP game with the most awesome developers ever, but it's struggling so hard to find a consistent playerbase because this flood of crap is preventing people from discovering it! >: (

Seriously, I hope that stragegy first make a severe copyright violation and get sued up the ASS into total bankruptcy. Finally a copyright takedown I could get behind. -_-

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:

1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I have a better, alternate name for them: Quality Last.
Howabout quality never, because I don't think "last" is accurate.
How about Tragedy(Tragically)Cursed?

Well I'm glad this is the first time I've heard of them but I didn't think anyone was group was this dedicated to making crappy games on purpose except for EA. I'm kidding but damn Strategy is really awful aren't they.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Sometimes it feels like game devs are having their own competition of who can release the worst game on Steam. I mean, shovelware is one thing, but this is just absurd. The Wii pretty much died because of shovelware, but it didn't see nearly half of the crap hitting Steam, but then again it is Steam and Steam users will forgive everything wrong with Steam because Gaben.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Valve, you really need to make SOME kind of quality control testing. I am not saying you only allow the absolute best on your store, that is subjective opinion, not objective fact, but you should make sure all the games on your store are PLAYABLE. That's all we are asking for.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
They really need to add some sort of quality control or at the very least some sort of filter that remove games from shitty publishers and developers.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
bdcjacko said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Why do you hate America?
Because of all the straight white males. They are all guilty of intentionally oppressing women, each and every one of them.

#patriarchy #sarcasm
If we didn't, who would?

#partoftheproblem

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Can I pay you in fags? A fiver is about enough for a pack. I can stick them in an envelope and send them over.

*Later, at Jim's local Mississippi post office*

"Awww, what in Sam Hill is this, fellers? First that damn lizard penis, an' now commie cigerettes! Keep a geewd eye on dat Styrlyn feller, betcha he's a turrurist..."

Blachman201 said:
All the examples in video looks like "Babby's First Video Game", so it would appear that Strategy First's entire business strategy (heh) is acting as the biggest enabler for first time developers who just put together their very first game prototype in their spare time and, probably under the delusion that they can be the next Jonathan Blow, believes that it's good enough to be sold for actual currency.
Makes me imagine someone in a striped suitjacket and straw hat standing outside a kindergarten trying to flog their drawings as art.