Jimquisition: The King of Crap Steam Publishers

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:
Remember, insult a publisher with profanity laced tirades of criticism, and it's comedic justice.

Do it to an indie developer who makes bad games, and it's harassment.
Once my show is me calling up individuals to call them whores, threatening to rape/murder them, or otherwise attempting to run them off the Internet, then what I do will be equitable to harassment.
You're encouraging people to run this publisher off the market. Is that really such a difference? I'm sure there's people working at the publisher who don't appreciate being called twats whose games are poison.

That's not to say they don't deserve it. They absolutely do. But then so does any individual developer who puts out bad games and does other shady business things. Sure death and rape threats cross the line, but if you didn't do any that and were any of us to post a tirade using that same kind of language against certain individuals who also deserve it we'd find our posts mysterious gone.

I just don't like the double standard. I did like the episode.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:
Remember, insult a publisher with profanity laced tirades of criticism, and it's comedic justice.

Once my show is me calling up individuals to call them whores, threatening to rape/murder them, or otherwise attempting to run them off the Internet, then what I do will be equitable to harassment.
You're encouraging people to run this publisher off the market. Is that really such a difference? I'm sure there's people working at the publisher who don't appreciate being called twats whose games are poison.

That's not to say they don't deserve it. They absolutely do. But then so does any individual developer who puts out bad games and does other shady business things. Sure death and rape threats cross the line, but if you didn't do any that and were any of us to post a tirade using that same kind of language against certain individuals who also deserve it we'd find our posts mysterious gone.

I'm encouraging people to be aware of companies that put an incredible volume of shit on Steam. That is not the same as me trying to get individuals fired because I don't like them, or threatening to kill them. I'm repeating this difference because, well, there's literally no better way of arguing with you on this than repeating myself. There's no double standard here. You've taken two things that are not equitable in the slightest and pretended they're the same thing.

I've called out people for threats and personal abuse against individuals in the past. I've NOT called people out for making critical videos or posts, even if those videos are profane. In fact, I've been linked to plenty of videos over the years calling me some *incredibly* vile things, worse than I've ever said about any company on Jimquisition. You know what though? I accept that. They're not personally threatening me or encouraging others to. They're just saying really shitty things about me (and half of them aren't even trying to be critical, just literally insulting). Fair enough.

I've also never made posts "mysteriously" vanish from The Escapist forums, as I am not a mod. Any issues you might have with censorship on this board, I can tell you it's got nothing to do with me. In fact, with regards to certain forum threads around here, I was actually the one who advised they be kept open.

Equating Jimquisition to the stuff I've called the community out on is, ostensibly, saying my show is as bad as rape and death threats. Actually, that's *literally* what it is.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:

I'm encouraging people to be aware of companies that put an incredible volume of shit on Steam. That is not the same as me trying to get individuals fired because I don't like them, or threatening to kill them. I'm repeating this difference because, well, there's literally no better way of arguing with you on this than repeating myself. There's no double standard here. You've taken two things that are not equitable in the slightest and pretended they're the same thing.
Jim you're better than this. You know that I never equated death and rape threats to what you did in this episode.

What I said is that a profanity laced criticism about an individual developer would be considered harassment - because that's already happened. It's happened here, it's happened on other sites. Such posts have been deleted and declared harassment, not by you but by many, many others. Criticism that contained no death threats. Criticism that contained no rape threats. We both know this to be true.

I've also never made posts "mysteriously" vanish from The Escapist forums, as I am not a mod. Any issues you might have with censorship on this board, I can tell you it's got nothing to do with me. In fact, with regards to certain forum threads around here, I was actually the one who advised they be kept open.
I was not suggesting that *you* were deleting things - you're better about these kind of things than your bretheren. I was overjoyed that your name didn't show up on the GameJournoPros member list. I thank you for your continued support of free discussion.

Equating Jimquisition to the stuff I've called the community out on is, ostensibly, saying my show is as bad as rape and death threats. Actually, that's *literally* what it is.
You KNOW that's not what I was doing.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:

Jim you're better than this. You know that I never equated death and rape threats to what you did in this episode.

What I said is that a profanity laced criticism about an individual developer would be considered harassment - because that's already happened. It's happened here, it's happened on other sites. Such posts have been deleted and declared harassment, not by you but by many, many others. Criticism that contained no death threats. Criticism that contained no rape threats. We both know this to be true.
By very virtue of your comparison, it IS what you're doing. By claiming double standards in response to Jimquisition, you're suggesting that my video is contradicting my criticism, except my definition of harassment has never included critical, impersonal videos and posts. My criticism of harassment involves personal abuse and death threats.

Using your own logic, for this to be a double standard, Jimquisition would HAVE to be the same as death and rape threats (ie, the things I *have* called out in the past). With regards to anything else, that's something to take up with the moderators, not me.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
So basically, this week's episode is dedicated to "Steam's LJN".
Wow, that's actually a pretty good comparison. However, I have heard rumors from the deep that LJN did produce a lone good game. Can the same be said of StratFirst?

Dragoen

Mar 28, 2009
V da Mighty Taco said:
Atmos Duality said:
Wow, that's actually a pretty good comparison. However, I have heard rumors from the deep that LJN did produce a lone good game. Can the same be said of StratFirst?
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
Hearts of Iron
Europa Universalis
Earth 2150: Lost Souls
Etherlords II
Galactic Civilizations
FlatOut 3: Chaos & Destruction
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Sudden Strike
Jagged Alliance series
O.R.B: Off-World Resource Base
Space Empires V

All incredible games, especially Disciples 2.

Sadly they seem to have fallen far since.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
By very virtue of your comparison, it IS what you're doing. By claiming double standards in response to Jimquisition, you're suggesting that my video is contradicting my criticism, except my definition of harassment has never included critical, impersonal videos and posts. My criticism of harassment involves personal abuse and death threats.

Using your own logic, for this to be a double standard, Jimquisition would HAVE to be the same as death and rape threats (ie, the things I *have* called out in the past). With regards to anything else, that's something to take up with the moderators, not me.
I think I understand the disconnect - you thought I was referring purely to the Jimquisition and not "game news sites in general." The double standard I referred to is that it's fine for game journalists *in general* to bash companies until they're blue in the face, but refuse to do so for individuals (not to mention certain individuals), and refuse to let readers do the same.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Edit: What's funny is I've also done profanity-laced tirades aimed at indie devs too. But of course, they don't count because of some reasons.
They don't count because they were middle-aged, white, cis male hetrosexuals most likely.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Uhg.

I remember what they did to the Space Empires series... ..uhg. I don't even know where to begin on that mess, let's just say they effectively killed the series by releasing the fifth game long before it was ready - then sat on the franchise and let it rot rather than sell it back to its creator.

Oh, and added insult to injury with a Facebook game, and a physical version of the game that just used art ripped out of the fourth game.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
But the free market. People obviously want shit games, something something.

1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I have a better, alternate name for them: Quality Last.
Howabout quality never, because I don't think "last" is accurate.
Dammit! I was going to say that! It came to me watching footage of that dreck that tried to be stealth-action game. Thank Jim for eviscerating these scam artists who try to pass themselves off as a "Publisher".

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

I think I understand the disconnect - you thought I was referring purely to the Jimquisition and not "game news sites in general." The double standard I referred to is that it's fine for game journalists *in general* to bash companies until they're blue in the face, but refuse to do so for individuals (not to mention certain individuals), and refuse to let readers do the same.
Okay, I get you now. Sadly, my show has been criticized a few times for the exact same double standard it seemed you were accusing it of, hence why it really wasn't so strange for me to believe it. Having to explain the difference between two totally different things is, sadly, something I've become accustomed to. :)

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanatos2k said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

Okay, I get you now. Sadly, my show has been criticized a few times for the exact same double standard it seemed you were accusing it of, hence why it really wasn't so strange for me to believe it. Having to explain the difference between two totally different things is, sadly, something I've become accustomed to. :)
Fair enough. Thanks for the understanding. I may have been overly harsh.

I'm also sorry you had to play some of these games.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Dragoen said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Atmos Duality said:
Hearts of Iron
Europa Universalis
Etherlords II
Galactic Civilizations
Sudden Strike
Jagged Alliance series
Space Empires V

I saw ye edit! >:p

Serious note, that's interesting to hear. I think I've even heard of that Europa game before. It's crazy to see what's become of a company like that, and it leads to questions of how they ended up where they are now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Dammit! I was going to say that! It came to me watching footage of that dreck that tried to be stealth-action game. Thank Jim for eviscerating these scam artists who try to pass themselves off as a "Publisher".
I am, after all, a master ninja. Like a fruit ninja, but without the fruit.

Dragoen

Mar 28, 2009
V da Mighty Taco said:
Dragoen said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Atmos Duality said:
Hearts of Iron
Europa Universalis
Etherlords II
Galactic Civilizations
Sudden Strike
Jagged Alliance series
Space Empires V

I saw ye edit! >:p

Serious note, that's interesting to hear. I think I've even heard of that Europa game before. It's crazy to see what's become of a company like that, and it leads to questions of how they ended up where they are now.
Yeah most of their great games are only known if your into Round based strategy games. So I only knew them as a publisher as some of my all time favorite games.

Seems they are under new management or at least a new philosophy of mass over quality.

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010
Thanatos2k said:
The double standard I referred to is that it's fine for game journalists *in general* to bash companies until they're blue in the face, but refuse to do so for individuals (not to mention certain individuals), and refuse to let readers do the same.
This kind of comparison is pretty weak, since companies and individuals are two completely different things.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Caostotale said:
Thanatos2k said:
The double standard I referred to is that it's fine for game journalists *in general* to bash companies until they're blue in the face, but refuse to do so for individuals (not to mention certain individuals), and refuse to let readers do the same.
This kind of double standard is pretty weak, since companies and individuals are two completely different things.
Not according to the Supreme Court!

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/335288388/when-did-companies-become-people-excavating-the-legal-evolution

Butcer

Jul 29, 2010
girzwald said:
How many of these are you going to make? Steam has some shit titles. Get over it already. Did you buy "War operations"? Because it seems like you did. Congratulations. You just supported the problem. Most of these games you've been bitching about, I never heard of till you brought them up. I guess that shows how much of an impact these games have. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Its that simple. If morons want to buy a game without seeing a demo or reading a review, then that's their problem. I so rarely get screwed by buying a shitty game, its a non problem. Do you whine when you buy a new food product and don't like it? No, you don't buy it again and move on.

So move on already. Without greenlight we wouldn't have the opportunity to find the gems amongst the crap.
typical steam apologists, if ea pulled the shit valve does everybody would scream bloody murder

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
But the free market. People obviously want shit games, something something.

1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I have a better, alternate name for them: Quality Last.
Howabout quality never, because I don't think "last" is accurate.
I actually bought Vampire Rain really cheap for the Xbox and had a very fun gaming session with some friends making fun of the game and playing it by turns, it was worth the money.

People will also pay to watch The Room because of how bad it is.

Who are you to say what is and isnt worth it?