Jimquisition: Time To Get Paid

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Something that should point out, that Overkill are a bunch of devs that used to run GRIN, which were run out of business due to a bad deal with Square-Enix. GRIN, btw, made Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and used to be AAA devs.

They're now doing their own thing. Read Wolf's bio on Payday, it aligns remarkably close to Ulf Anderson's (former owner of GRIN, current owner of Overkill, which is now owned by Starbreeze.)

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
Its a shame that the more successful games in a market are all HD remakes and "failures" that didn't quite meet expectations. Hopefully more games will be like Payday 2 and Dark Souls. No pandering, no babying, just good old fashioned make it for the people who play it.

Nov 24, 2010
CelestDaer said:
I didn't know Jim's gay... It's never even crossed my mind. Eh...
maybe just maybe he just doesn't fit into the idea of sexual orientation as trinity of gay, bisexual and heterosexual?
there is also asexuality.

why care?

(well, i said i am bisexual because that means i can/could fuck any gender/sex i want. This seems to be the easiest idea. but i never really cared on how to label myself or other because its not important for me. It is important if its needed to call out harassment or discrimination based on labeling, but for my private sexlife.. pf. as long as i like the person i am with, the gender of that person is irrelevant. consent matters.)

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
Jim something you might be interested in and It's about the film industry but is very much in the smae vein as your views on games industry - this is The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture 2013: Kevin Spacey - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oheDqofa5NM

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Jonathan Holmes is the ex-presenter of a program called Media Watch in Australia, so I got very confused reading about his head being on the plate Jim used in this thread. After re-watching the clip I worked out it was a different Jonathan Holmes :D

firmicute said:
CelestDaer said:
maybe just maybe he just doesn't fit into the idea of sexual orientation as trinity of gay, bisexual and heterosexual?

why care?
As an asexual, you have no idea how frustrating it is when people feel the need to put you in one of the three buckets and simply can't comprehend that you're not interested in any of them >_>;

Apr 24, 2008
I do love me some Payday 2. Would have been nice to get a few more missions in the core game though. I imagine that DLC is supposed to take care of that at some point.

Also, I think me and Jim might wear the same shoes.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
firmicute said:
CelestDaer said:

why care?
It's never crossed my mind because I don't care. He's at least persuasive in his arguments. His orientation doesn't have anything to do with his rants. But, you'd think the fact that he keeps showing off dildos in his rants might've started an inkling in my thoughts...

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
GAunderrated said:
Damn Jim I damn near shed a tear after you named all the series that I loved being dragged through the dirt now.
Ditto. No amount of ice will heal the amount of burn Jim's inflicted on them after today. Or rather every time he does it lol

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
geldonyetich said:
It's ironic that a game I applaud for shaming a corporate money-grubbing mentality because it succeeded on morally-superior indy development mentality is not going to get my purchase because I'm ashamed to see anyone playing a game about being part of a team of money-grubbing assholes who are so morally unreprehensible that they think nothing of gunning down innocents (and each other) in order to score a quick buck by performing a bank heist.

Even if it's "just pretend," this setting puts me in a moral crisis that was really unnecessary. I really want to encourage the former behavior of indy development without corporate fuckery, because I've been enduring decades of crappy games as a result. However, the backdrop of this game is so severely off the hook that I still won't vote for my wallet for it.

As for that last bit, I admire your follow through with the dragon dildo, Jim, but I do hope you remembered the lube.
Eh I enjoy the game for the same reason I enjoy the Italian job movies or any good bank robbery story. It's not about sticking it to the man or getting rich by doing wrong, the fun of the story is about weather they can pull it off even though the odds are against them and frankly it's a dumb thing to do. It's the challenge and thrill that had me love Payday and why I got Payday 2. Not to mention it's uniqueness (I have L4D2 and yes it has some of it's elements but has enough of it's own to be unique).

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Made some damn fine points Jim, and Payday2 is a blast to play, I was happy to help overkill out when I bought into the beta. Good ole' fun game making devs deserve some support!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's great that Pay Day 2 is a success. I hope the team that made it go on to make more games that they can feel proud of.

But I doubt most companies are going to follow them. The video game publishers don't want "successful" games. In fact, the investors and business people in charge of those organizations don't care about games at all. I am 100% certain that Bobby Kotick has never played a CoD game and has absolutely no interest in them. I'm also fairly sure that most CEOs don't play games, except for maybe a few on their mobile phones. Making games is no different to making anything else - they're in the business to make cash.

Publishers aren't content with "success" - they need MEGA BLOCKBUSTER GAMES that sell MILLIONS and make, MILLIONS. That's what they want - that's what they all want. As successful as Pay Day 2 was, the majority of investors would sneer at it because it wasn't a "massive hit", which is what they want. Profit isn't the goal - massive profit is the goal.

Of course, as Jim points out, it's unsustainable. You can't just keep pushing more money in and getting more money out infinitely. Many studios and publishers are failing, trying to chase the EA and Activision Dream. A few succeed, but most do not.

Oh well - that's capitalism. Investors take risks. When another crash happens (and it will - crashes are inevitable in capitalism), the investors will temporarily scale back their expectations.... for a while. Then as they become more and more profitable again, they'll set their sights on the billions-of-dollars they think they can get and the cycle will repeat itself. Over and over again.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Payday 2 is brutal. And if you don't have reliable people to play it with you're only going to be frustrated by it. Luckily I have a reliable team and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Hakazaba

May 1, 2009
piscian said:
Its sad I recall Oblivion talking about how they got burned on Fallout New Vegas because a third of their "budget" was actually set aside for marketing and they didn't know this until way into production.

I'm glad overkill is doing well I loved the first game and bought the second but I'm too tied up at work to play it :(
I think you mean Obsidian

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
I may be the only one who thinks this way, but with video games advertising I tend to lump it, more or less, with the traditional view regarding advertising public schools and solicitors: advertising is a clue that they aren't very good. A good solicitor doesn't need to advertise as they can rely on their reputation; public schools are similar (the exception is advertising in specific education supplements and magazines). Games advertising in games shops, in gaming mags, on websites, is fair enough. But if I see a TV ad, or a billboard ad, or an advert in a cinema, I tend to think that the game must be a steaming pile of spendings...

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
Why to the Ducktales theme, Jim? You coulda gone with anything else, yet you chose the Ducktales theme?! Come on man, I love that song, especially the 8-Bit version. And now... now I'm going to have to write lyrics for this. "Life is like a dragon's to-o-ongue, up Jim's asshole..."

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
So this is what Payday 1 or 2 looks like? can't say that i'm all that impressed. I remember seeing it on the top sellers list on steam, but I took a single look at the logo and decided that I wasn't going to be interested. After having watched some bits of this video, I can safely say that I am even less interested now.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
I'm just going to file the last bit of the video under 'U' for 'Unsee, Things I Can't'

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
You were given an erotic toy off someone from bad dragon? heh I?m amazed you even know the site, friend.