Jimquisition: Tomodachi Strife

Bashfluff

Jan 28, 2012
Thank God for Jim.

No one should be obligated to put homosexual people into any old game. Developers should be able to make the games that they want for the people who want to play them. But it does change when you have a game about relationships, and a significant number of people's relationships aren't an option in your game. Imagine what the reaction would be if mixed raced couples couldn't marry in the game.

Would the reaction be people saying the same things they are now in this thread? Would we be comparing having black people in your game to catering to the west in JRPG's? Would we be talking about how a small minority shouldn't expect any sort of representation if they don't do it themselves?

I don't think we would. Why not? Because we understand that when it comes to people of other races and ethnicities, we should treat everyone equally and at least acknowledge that they exist.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
A better analogy than limiting players to all-white characters: "As we don't want to get involved in racial politics, we've removed the ability for characters of different races to marry."

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I always saw Nintendo as the Disney of video games; a company that totes itself as family-friendly and all-inclusive, while simultaneously trying not to piss anyone off by trying to include EVERYONE. Disney is well aware of is gay fanbase, and is one of the most gay-friendly companies in America, yet seems insistent on not taking a stance on gay rights, if only not to lose the anti-gay groups. Say what you want about anti-gay jerks or whatever, the fact that Disney is THAT considerate of both groups is commendable. Thus, while I don't know if Nintendo has a similar stance on gay people, I wouldn't be surprised if that WAS the case, since they openly apologized for not including gay marriage in Tomodachi Life. It's a misstep in terms of progress, but I can't really be THAT mad a Nintendo for it.