Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Well there's a difference between schoolgirl and women dressed as schoolgirls which was something I might've missed :p.

The point of Jims video was that.The world treating the character.Which is most important for an over the top character.I personally don't find the intrigue in Duke being himself and people being glad about him being himself.It's a really warped reality and you lose the satire and interesting likability about the character being flawed despite perfect.It slowly turns into a wank fantasy.
I really have to disagree. I see it as a satire on wank fantasy actually. Whatever Mary Sue fanfics can achieve Duke just does more of, in more 'cool' ways. That's the point. To find the boundaries and push them even further.

Satire gained it's 'funny' part only in modern times, but books like Orwell's Animal Farm, 1984, Burgess's Clockwork Orange or even Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and American Psycho by Ellis are in fact satire. Neither of those books is really 'funny', some of them are disgusting, cruel, extremely violent or simply terrifying.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Littaly, CINN4M0N, cainx10a, WaaghPowa have already said what I was going to say about duke nukem. Now on to Sonic the Hedgehog.

I agree on the terms that sonic should not be saying certain things to be "cool". Now if we go back and play the games Sonic 1 - Sonic & Knuckles you would see that the "90's" era sonic is still timeless. It has more on how he acts in the game and the platforming over seeing a cutscene of him talk or do something we have no control of. Could you imagine playing a Mario game where Bowser, Mario, or Luigi are talking in between levels? It is such a stab at the flow of the game. So less talking and more playing the character.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:
Jim fails at funny again.
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.
You know, if you watch his show, you're saying to the Escapist that you want to see more... it's the same thing if you watch shitty movie, play shitty video games or go to a bad restaurant...

A petition means nothing if there's no intention behind it :)
So, just ignore it and it'll go away? I don't know why I didn't think of that, it works every time, right? Try ignoring me, see if I go away. The point here being that if youwant change, you have to take an active part, so I will continue to speak out against it.
So you're basically an annoying protestor that won't shut up until they get their way?

Are these videos really hurting you? Why do you want this to be taken off so badly, it's not like you are being forced to watch it every time it comes out. It's not like it's restricting your abilities to enjoy this website or anything. You personally disliking it doesn't mean that it's ruining the whole site. Please just jump off your high horse for a second.
Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition
I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
A thoughtful and funny series. I quite enjoyed today's especially the idea with SOnic - devalue the franchise in order to increase its value and relevance. A curious and insightful idea.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Keava said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Well there's a difference between schoolgirl and women dressed as schoolgirls which was something I might've missed :p.

The point of Jims video was that.The world treating the character.Which is most important for an over the top character.I personally don't find the intrigue in Duke being himself and people being glad about him being himself.It's a really warped reality and you lose the satire and interesting likability about the character being flawed despite perfect.It slowly turns into a wank fantasy.
I really have to disagree. I see it as a satire on wank fantasy actually. Whatever Mary Sue fanfics can achieve Duke just does more of, in more 'cool' ways. That's the point. To find the boundaries and push them even further.

Satire gained it's 'funny' part only in modern times, but books like Orwell's Animal Farm, 1984, Burgess's Clockwork Orange or even Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and American Psycho by Ellis are in fact satire. Neither of those books is really 'funny', some of them are disgusting, cruel, extremely violent or simply terrifying.
Thanks for snipping my quote :D.

I guess I'm used to certain types of those overly cool characters.And they usually fail despite being so cool(already mentioned Bravo and Slater,might as well throw in Ash from Evil Dead).I find it hard to imagine a world where everyone agrees with you.If they did it would be quite boring.

You seem very learned on the subject...I've just heard about those books and watched the movie on the last one.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.
You know, if you watch his show, you're saying to the Escapist that you want to see more... it's the same thing if you watch shitty movie, play shitty video games or go to a bad restaurant...

So, just ignore it and it'll go away? I don't know why I didn't think of that, it works every time, right? Try ignoring me, see if I go away. The point here being that if youwant change, you have to take an active part, so I will continue to speak out against it.
So you're basically an annoying protestor that won't shut up until they get their way?

Are these videos really hurting you? Why do you want this to be taken off so badly, it's not like you are being forced to watch it every time it comes out. It's not like it's restricting your abilities to enjoy this website or anything. You personally disliking it doesn't mean that it's ruining the whole site. Please just jump off your high horse for a second.
Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition
I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.
Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.
That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
I actually didn't mind this one. But going on about how he was essentially a parody? Ugh.

Show, don't tell. If I, a member of the general public, can't tell you're pretending to be annoying without you having to tell me, it isn't being done well enough

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.
According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.
I didn't realize that every single user took that poll. Sorry.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
go back to not addressing the haters. this last one was terrible. your delivery for faux arrogance and conceit is a little off too. you failed in the same way you were talking about duke failing.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
While I don't think there's anything wrong with this video such at is and the point, can't help to think that we are already bit overloading on the "Ironic looser hero" can't help but feel that it is somewhat asking to characterise characters by how good their franchise are doing overall.

Sonic isn't doing to well? well let's make him a loser in game! (I'm parodying a bit here since Jim does bring out the fact that Sonic attitude a bit a victim of Totally Racial! although I don't think its that bad)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
dibblywibbles said:
go back to not addressing the haters.
Of course, before this he was addressing the haters with cringe-worthy tweets haha. Man is really thin-skinned for some reason, which is really odd given his persona.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Seems Jim and Duke have a lot in common.

The joke of Duke is he's sort of the natural extrapolation of all those Cool Dude shows and video games of the late 80s and early 90s (instead of having the character dress and act super kewl, he's just treated as the coolest thing ever within the game world. The joke is always played extremely straight with no knowing wink to the audience, much like no one in South Park acknowledges that Terrance & Phillip is the dumbest show ever to appear on television. The audience is trusted to know that a womanizing meat-head who constantly cracks stupid jokes he cribbed from the equally stupid "They Live" is not to be taken seriously... much as Jim considers his entire persona as so far over the top to be taken as satire without him winking to the audience that it's all a big joke.